HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tyson's roadside crosses
Posted by: Jeremy ()
Date: June 02, 2007 11:12PM

On Route 7, just west of Tyson's Corner, are 4 crosses in a small plot. I've seen these for more than a decade, and I've always wondered who they were. Their parents obviously want people to know their story because they've maintained this roadside memorial for so long. Anybody here know who these poor souls were?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tyson's roadside crosses
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 02, 2007 11:27PM

I've lived in Tysons for 10+ years and don't know what you're talking about. Where exactly? Are they near that bible church just past the toll road going toward Reston?

Posted by: duh ()
Date: June 03, 2007 12:32AM

These roadside "memorials" are ILLEGAL.

99% of the time, it's some stupid motherfuckes that died because the phone rang or that getting to that next red light 3 seconds sooner was worth dying for.

Good riddance.....Darwin, anat...

Put up your "shrines" in your fucking house...not on public property!

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 03, 2007 12:53AM

These roadside "memorials" are ILLEGAL.

Goddman right they are illegal, the cops need to go shoot whoever pulled this shit ten years ago. Probably some foreigner.

Posted by: sure... ()
Date: June 03, 2007 01:34AM

I know where you're talking about...but no idea who dies there. no one recently. I'll do some reasearch..

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 03, 2007 07:36AM

illegal? as a law abiding citizen, i must find and uproot these blatant crimes!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: jj ()
Date: June 03, 2007 09:53AM

Those crosses are at the intersection of Lewinsville Rd. @ Rt. 7. The accident occured about 15 years ago. A women carrying 3 children in her car attempted a left turn from s/b Rt. 7 onto Lewinsville and was hit by a dump truck travelling n/b on Rt. 7. The woman and four children were killed in the accident. I grew up in that area and remeber how tragic that accident was.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: June 03, 2007 12:42PM

I can usually live with the crosses as they are off to the side of the road, but the political signs piss me off to no end. They put them up right on the median so you cant see to take a left turn. There seem to be no limits as to how big they can be either.

Honestly how many "joe shit for congress" signs does there have to be on one corner. My own opinion is the public owns that space why do they assholes get free advertising space?

Anyone know if I pull the damn things up am I violating the law?

BTW can you tell that this really pisses me off?

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: June 03, 2007 01:53PM

It is illegal to erect signs on the highway unless you have permission of VDOT or "local authorities of counties, cities, and towns". I imagine the politicians gave themselves permission to erect the signs. You have to love the general assembly of Virginia creating a law an exempting themselves from it. Beautiful.

ยง 46.2-831. Unofficial signs prohibited; penalties.

No unauthorized person shall erect or maintain on any highway any warning or direction sign, signal, or light in imitation of any official sign, signal, or light erected as provided by law. No person shall erect or maintain on any highway any traffic or highway sign or signal bearing any commercial advertising.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit the erection or maintenance of signs or signals bearing the name of an organization authorized to erect it by the Commonwealth Transportation Board or by the local authorities of counties, cities, and towns as provided by law. Nor shall this section be construed to prohibit the erection by contractors or public utility companies of temporary signs approved by the Virginia Department of Transportation warning motorists that work is in progress on or adjacent to the highway.

Any violation of this section shall constitute a Class 4 misdemeanor.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-831

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: June 04, 2007 10:21AM

jj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those crosses are at the intersection of
> Lewinsville Rd. @ Rt. 7. The accident occured
> about 15 years ago. A women carrying 3 children in
> her car attempted a left turn from s/b Rt. 7 onto
> Lewinsville and was hit by a dump truck travelling
> n/b on Rt. 7. The woman and four children were
> killed in the accident. I grew up in that area and
> remeber how tragic that accident was.

Very sad. However, it is way past time to move on.

Posted by: samsam ()
Date: June 12, 2007 01:07AM

The accident happened in June of 1992, there were 4 kids that just finished there freshman year of high school. The lady that was driving had her own daughter in the car and 3 other kids. She lost her child and 3 other kids but she survived. Its a memory for the parents that lost there parents. I hate for anyone to go through what they went through, We can show some sympathy to these parents and respect the dead. Everyone that is talking all this crap just imagine if you lost your child and 3 other kids in a car accident. There is no harm in posting 4 crosses. I am so passionate about this because I knew 3 out of 4 kids and was best friends with one of the girls. Every time I drive by the site it reminds me of the good memories had with these people. Again, no harm with the crosses.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 12, 2007 01:25AM

I say take it further by lighting the crosses on fire to call people's attention to them. Surely a burning cross has no offensive meaning to anybody.

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: June 12, 2007 10:24AM

set them on fire. they're in a "t" shape so it means "time to get out"

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 12, 2007 01:05PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say take it further by lighting the crosses on
> fire to call people's attention to them. Surely a
> burning cross has no offensive meaning to anybody.

lol, priceless.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.