HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Slow Green-Light Reaction Time Causes Congestion
Posted by: centreville ()
Date: June 19, 2010 03:19PM

When the light turns green, GO. You might think 2 or 3 seconds won't hurt anyone, but the delay causes a chain reaction and results in congestion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slow Green-Light Reaction Time Causes Congestion
Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 19, 2010 06:46PM

The VA drivers manual specifically says you should use the "delayed acceleration" technique to avoid crashes from people who went thru on the yellow and havent cleared the intersection yet.

I say use the "looking" technique where you hit the gas and then look to see if you are going to hit someone, and if so, hit the brakes

Posted by: yeah ()
Date: June 19, 2010 10:28PM

What really pisses me off is when a car third or fourth in line at a left turn signal leaves a gap 4 car lengths long and causes me to miss the green light. for fucks sake pay attention people - do you enjoy sitting in traffic!?!?!?

Posted by: shuckinchuck ()
Date: June 19, 2010 11:06PM

Seems like that always happens when you're a few cars back. Can't figure why people do that to others behind them.

Posted by: wtfno ()
Date: June 20, 2010 08:31AM

yeah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What really pisses me off is when a car third or
> fourth in line at a left turn signal leaves a gap
> 4 car lengths long and causes me to miss the green
> light. for fucks sake pay attention people - do
> you enjoy sitting in traffic!?!?!?

That's what the horn is for. I have no tolerance for that type of behavior. When that happens, the end-result is usually the same; Yellow hits and that driver is magically able to find the gas pedal, sticking you with the red light.

Date: June 20, 2010 09:19AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> The VA drivers manual specifically says you should
> use the "delayed acceleration" technique to avoid
> crashes from people who went thru on the yellow
> and havent cleared the intersection yet.
>
> I say use the "looking" technique where you hit
> the gas and then look to see if you are going to
> hit someone, and if so, hit the brakes

Agreed. I was hit one time by an asshole who ran a red while trying to beat a yellow. I always lokk now. If you are behind me and don't like it, tough shit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: June 20, 2010 10:00AM

You're right. There's absolutely no reason to pause at a new green light - as long as you're a complete dipshit.

Posted by: boredom ()
Date: June 20, 2010 10:01AM

centreville Wrote:
> When the light turns green, GO. You might think 2
> or 3 seconds won't hurt anyone, but the delay
> causes a chain reaction and results in congestion.

No it doesn't. Your precious 2 to 3 seconds would allow, at most, 4 more cars to clear the intersection. In an area with tens of thousands of cars on every semi-major to major road at any given time, 4 additional cars going through an intersection is not significant.

Congestion is caused by the number of lights, stop signs, lack of cloverleafs, highways that should be wider or double-level (aka, I-mother fucking 66) and the absurd number of people living in Northern VA.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 20, 2010 10:23AM

centreville Wrote:
>
> When the light turns green, GO.

I agree, and I blow my horn alot at idiots who aren't paying close attention to the traffic light. It's green, NOW GO. It's Ok to pause for 1/2 a second while you look to make sure the intersection is clear, but anything more than that is just poor driving skills (lack of attention).

I also hate when people crawl thru the intersection at 2 mph.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 20, 2010 10:45AM

boredom Wrote:
> centreville Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > When the light turns green, GO. You might think
> 2
> > or 3 seconds won't hurt anyone, but the delay
> > causes a chain reaction and results in
> congestion.
>
> No it doesn't. Your precious 2 to 3 seconds would
> allow, at most, 4 more cars to clear the
> intersection. In an area with tens of thousands
> of cars on every semi-major to major road at any
> given time, 4 additional cars going through an
> intersection is not significant.
>
> Congestion is caused by the number of lights, stop
> signs, lack of cloverleafs, highways that should
> be wider or double-level (aka, I-mother fucking
> 66) and the absurd number of people living in
> Northern VA.

Wrong. 4 cars is a lot in a turn lane that holds 10 cars, and believe me, each of those 4 people is going to be very happy that they did not have to wait another cycle of the light.

However, if they made 66 double decker from Gainesville to the beltway, 6 lanes each direction I bet we would have a lot less traffic congestion. If someone wants to crash their car, they can just do it in the right lane and leave 4 or 5 other lanes for everyone else to keep driving on. I would fully support beginning this project RIGHT NOW. Fuck you all people "oh I dont want that shit in my backyard" well dumbass dont buy a house that backs up to the interstate.

In mexico city, with arguable the worst traffic congestion in the world, they are both expanding the metro and building double decker roads. Getting shit done. Their roads in times of rush hour have average speed of 7 mph.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: June 20, 2010 06:45PM

People just sit there looking through their center console, wiping their kids' faces off, or picking their noses instead of paying attention. They are not waiting to look for cars coming the other way.

Posted by: Capt. Obvious ()
Date: June 21, 2010 08:33AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> The VA drivers manual specifically says you should
> use the "delayed acceleration" technique to avoid
> crashes from people who went thru on the yellow
> and havent cleared the intersection yet.
>
> I say use the "looking" technique where you hit
> the gas and then look to see if you are going to
> hit someone, and if so, hit the brakes

The "delayed acceleration technique" you describe would require the person to be paying attention in the first place, which is precisely the point of this argument. You aren't using some sarcastic accident avoidance technique, you're fooling around with your iPhone, slapping lil Johnny silly because he wont behave, or something equally as frivolous when you should paying attention to driving. Then you would realize how stupid your "delayed acceleration technique" with all directions safely at a stop really is. Just pay attention, sheesh.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: June 21, 2010 09:02AM

Waiting three seconds???? WTF??? That's crazy. I always look left and then right then proceed. There's no need to wait three seconds, just check to make sure all the crossing traffic is stopping.

You're an idiot if you are just counting three and then blindly driving into the intersection.

What pisses me off is people texting and when the light changes green and they sit there for a while finishing their text. By the time they get going(after I horn them) I always get stuck at a red light. It never fails.

What makes it worse is if it's a Soccer Mom Mini-Van, BMW ,Mercedes or Luxury SUV.

Posted by: nopenotme ()
Date: June 21, 2010 10:26AM

What pisses me off are the expensive sports cars that are driven like tanks.

Every morning as I head to rt 28, at the major intersection I have to go through it's gotdamn idjuts in BMWs and various other sporty Honda models who have drivers who slow down going through the green lights. I've seen cars come to an almost complete stop in the intersection on a green light. It's as if their f'n cars can't turn. They have damned sports cars and drive live my 100 year old nearly blind grandmother.

Just get through the damned light people.

Date: June 21, 2010 03:59PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> centreville Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > When the light turns green, GO.
>
> I agree, and I blow my horn alot at idiots who
> aren't paying close attention to the traffic
> light. It's green, NOW GO. It's Ok to pause for
> 1/2 a second while you look to make sure the
> intersection is clear, but anything more than that
> is just poor driving skills (lack of attention).
>

It takes about 1/2 second to see that people are slowing down to a stop. When I got hit, I just assumed that because two cars stopped, all would. Unfortunately some fucker flew through and nailed me. There is a fine line between cautious and too cautious. In most cases, a person shouldn't have to sit there for two or three seconds to be sure everyone is stopping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Jack Shepard ()
Date: September 01, 2015 09:31AM

This is old but gold.
Thank you, finally I found some people who think like me. I was boiling inside today because of the 4 second delay between realizing the light has turned green, and actually GOING forward. Apparently traffic lights are a good place to play with your phone (which is ok if you pay attention to the lights).

The 3 car gap is also annoying, a guy in front of me let many cars ahead of him because he was so damn slow to move after the car in front of him moved, and we were on the left lane.

Maybe I should stop driving, I have high blood pressure...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.