HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Recommendations for pest control services?
Posted by: Caroline ()
Date: June 15, 2010 02:59PM

So I’m having a problem with some, shall we say, undesirable insects, in my house. Can anyone recommend a good exterminator? What should I expect them to charge? Specific details are below. Thanks!

We live in a townhouse and the problem is more or less contained to the kitchen. For the past couple years we’d see a roach infrequently, maybe once every two months. We suspected they were coming from the neighboring house, which has multiple families living in it and a backyard filled with trash.

A couple months ago our AC unit died and it’s been really hot in the house, and we starting seeing more roaches. Despite our best efforts to kill them and to keep the place clean, they kept appearing.

I went away for a business trip for two weeks and was appalled by how quickly the population had grown while I was gone. It’s unbearable. Most concerning is that I’m seeing a lot of small ones, which probably means they’re breeding in the house.

So we need to exterminate them, preferably in a way that’s not harmful to a couple of small dogs, and try to do something to prevent them from sneaking over from the neighboring house. I have no idea what this kind of service would cost, so any thoughts on what to expect would be helpful!

ETA: Sorry if I’ve grossed out anyone who was reading this during lunch or something!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommendations for pest control services?
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: June 15, 2010 03:02PM

I use Moxie Pest Control. I've been pleased with their service. I get quarterly treatments at $99 each and unlimited "re-visits" if we have a problem. I've had to use these supplemental visits twice - for ants and my dog picked up fleas from somewhere. They also make note of what kind of animals you have. But my neighbors use different companies and they all charge about the same.

Posted by: Caroline ()
Date: June 15, 2010 03:06PM

Thanks! It helps to have an idea of what the standard price is.

Posted by: None ()
Date: June 15, 2010 03:18PM

We use GreenStar, They spray every other month for $75 each visit, if you see a bug they come backout for free. I have never seen a bug in two years with them

Posted by: hahalol ()
Date: June 13, 2012 10:48AM

i had a moxie rep stop by this week, said neighbor had bugs and i should schedule an appointment for treatment. i asked which neighbor and he didn't look like he knew (only a couple to choose from, the houses are right there) and gave an odd first name of no one who lives in the neighborhood. had a clipboard i assume he was using to keep track of all the houses visited.

looked them up online and yup, same deal according to many yelp reviews nationwide. they lie about some problem a neighbor is having and recommend you schedule time with them because of a special that day or, they will "be in the neighborhood" this week and theyll be able to fix your fake problem quickly.

so watch out for them. glad warhawk likes them but make sure you go to them, avoid if they are coming to you

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: June 13, 2012 11:06AM

Moxie are a bunch of shitheads. They must pay for it. If you see them in your neighborhood, ask to see their peddlers permit. If they don't have it, and although I'm generally against police call outs, but these guys reputation and obvious door to door sales being a gateway for home breakins and such, nail em. Call non emergency 691-2131, and hit em up.

Posted by: Free Advice ()
Date: June 14, 2012 06:30AM

For infestations of brown locusts, please call ICE. They probably won't do anything other than find them luxury housing at your expense, but at least they won't migrate from your neighbor's home to yours.

Posted by: George Zimmerman ()
Date: June 14, 2012 08:44AM

I have a remedy for pests around your house... give me a call

Posted by: Ten Toes in the Grave ()
Date: June 15, 2012 04:04PM

Connor's is pretty good. We use them for our home and Orkin for another property. Both are single-family homes.

Orkin charges us $61 for monthly visits. We initially had a carpenter ant infestation. They cleared it out, and now provide regular treatments plus extra visits--no charge--if needed--for any sort of bug.

Connor's charges $115 quarterly--whole house treatment, plus free visits in the interim if needed. Connor's also does repairs, such as termite repairs, and a number of other things.

The initial visit very likely will cost more.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: had ants ()
Date: June 15, 2012 09:57PM

Noble Pest Management is good. Used to use Conner's but wasn't satisfied. David Noble is a very honest and reliable guy.

Posted by: bugged ()
Date: June 16, 2012 08:00AM

Trust me on this. Call Ward Pest Control. Outstanding professional work at reduced prices from the big boys.

Posted by: hoser ()
Date: June 16, 2012 08:07AM

Call Jerome at Viewpoint Pest Management. He's a small businessman who is prompt, courteous, and effective.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.