Some advice for the 16-30 year olds out there
Date: April 05, 2021 08:45AM
Sitting here drinking my coffee and pondering a discussion yesterday between my buddy and his 16 year old son. It was eye-opening for sure. It definitely made me thankful that I didn't have kids. I divorced 15 years ago, didn't have kids, and escaped unscathed. I was lucky.
1. Nobody gives a shit about you. Ok, maybe your parents care, but sometimes it appears that's even up for debate lol. Most people go through life with their blinders on and focused only on what they see in the mirror. You need to know this now, and if you've hit 30 years old and haven't realized it you, you're an idiot.
2. Likes, thumbs-up, hearts, "loved an image", etc, etc are all unearned attention. Females are especially vulnerable to the idea on social media that they are actually loved and appreciated. You aren't. And that thumbs up doesn't mean shit. Neither does your "hearts and prayers" posts on twitter or whatever platform is the flavor of the minute.
3. You may think soaking others with money to pay for the injustices of the world is a good thing. Soon (if you're unlucky), you may be that person being soaked. Remember, taxes generally don't just go away. 20 years from now after the people with money decide to leave the US, you'll be the one paying the bills.
4. As a follow-up to #3, you very likely will not amount to much financially. Sure, there will be exceptions. And I'm not saying don't try. I'm just saying to not kill yourself if you don't make above $100K. The bar is going up but there's only so much room in the top 15-20%. Your parents spent a lot of time telling you how special you are and that you can do anything. That was a lie. It was designed to give you confidence so you pushed yourself. But the ugly truth is that you will (at best) likely make it do middle management and work 50-60 hours per week just to have 30-35% stolen from you by the wasteful people you voted into office as a way to punish your bosses and company owners.
5. My last note is a special note to the females out there. We get it. You are 16 and you're pretty cute. But time flies and your looks fade fast. You may not believe that now, but your value in the dating/mating world will crash eventually. The media, commercials, social media, and just about every outlet today is telling you how strong and special you are (re-read #2) but your value in the dating world is youth and beauty. That's it. Your personality is of value to your friends, and men can also get that from their male friends. But the difference between friends and a sexually-intimate relationship is just that: sex. There are way too many women in the world who hit their mid-late 30s and realize that their search to find a guy is evaporating. Remember when you were 20 and dating that 30ish year old guy who has a great sports car and money to take you out? Well, those guys are (and always will) chasing women in their early 20s. The likes, hearts, thumbs up on your social media reacting to you showing your ass or tits are another form of unearned attention. They do not represent the real unfiltered world. And, in the end, you will find that people are less complimentary of "average" in person.
have a great week everyone.