HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: UVa vs. VA Tech vs. JMU vs. W&M
Posted by: Sacromanti ()
Date: March 17, 2011 01:50PM

Yabels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sacromanti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyone who says JMU, GMU, Tech or W&M is better
> > than UVA is a joke. UVA is arguably the best
> state
> > school in the country and among the best of all
> > schools in the country. Its law, med and
> business
> > schools are also highly ranked, especially law.
> > It's also gorgeous there and has an amazing
> > history as well.
> >
> > I have no connection to any of these schools.
> Just
> > saying what people objectively think.
>
> UVA is top in the state overall, but W&M is more
> academically elite by a long shot. Graduating
> summa cum laude from there speaks volumes to
> academic ability. But yes, UVa is tops at "best
> education for your dollar" according to Princeton
> Review.

Suys who? You? C'mon, quick being such a booster. W&M is NOT more academically elite. What you base that on?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chris ()
Date: April 07, 2011 02:39PM

William and Mary students are smarter than UVA students. UVA is ranked higher because of their size, endowment, fiscal resources, and ability to attract big name professors. W&M is every bit as good as UVA, if not a bit better. The only way I see in measuring the academic prowess of a particular institutions students is to look at the awards the student body recieves. William and Mary students constantly outshine UVA students in that realm, winning many Fulbright's and Rhode's Scholarships.

Posted by: Undecided student ()
Date: April 08, 2011 09:34PM

what about "grade inflation" at these schools? I heard that an A in some school is harder to earn than others?

Posted by: Mullen ()
Date: April 09, 2011 01:01AM

Virginia has some of the finest Colleges and Universities for higher learning in the United States... both, private and public. There is something for anyone who pursues a collegiate level degree in the VA Commonwealth. There are NO bad schools. Some carry 'prestige' through history... In the end, a student gets what they earn.

The College of William and Mary and the University of Virginia established Virginia as a leader in higher education. Virginia Commonwealth University, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, George Mason University, James Madison University, University of Richmond, Washington and Lee University, Randolph Macon College, Old Dominion University... to name just a few of VA's fine schools-- provide excellent programs. NOVA Community College, ITT and Phoenix, too... with programs for complete-credit transfer to the aformentioned Colleges and Universities and/or stand-alone degrees in their own-right are available... We are fortunate in Virginia with lots of options for higher education.

If you are wondering?... I have a BA and Minor from GMU. My Wife has a Master's from VPI(VA Tech.) Our twins are both; in their Sophomore year at George Mason University.

Date: April 09, 2011 01:04AM

I would not rank ODU that highly.

I would rank W&L up there with UVA and W&M. It is damned selective.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: Mullen ()
Date: April 09, 2011 01:34AM

Old Dominion University (ODU) are up and coming. Great academic and build plans underway. Secondly; improved sports programs to compete financially with the established schools. That, shouldn't matter and dislike that it does. ODU are doing well and worthy of note now and down the road. Keep your eye on them for progress.

Posted by: Spider ()
Date: April 10, 2011 12:38AM

U of R is the best school in VA IMO I love it there

Posted by: Josh Habernackle ()
Date: April 10, 2011 12:46AM

anybody know anything about University of Mary Washington?

good school?
what school does it rank next to?
party scene much?
academics?
Hot girls?
goths?

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: April 11, 2011 02:40PM

Earl Hamner, the genius behind "The Waltons," went to UR. When John Boy left Walton's Mountain, he attended BoatWright University which took its name from Frederic Boatwright, president of UR when Hamner went there.

Beautiful campus.

Spider Wrote:
> U of R is the best school in VA IMO I love it
> there

Posted by: monarch english dept ()
Date: April 11, 2011 02:52PM

Mullen Wrote:
> Old Dominion University (ODU) are up and coming.
> Great academic and build plans underway.
> Secondly; improved sports programs to compete
> financially with the established schools. That,
> shouldn't matter and dislike that it does. ODU
> are doing well and worthy of note now and down the
> road. Keep your eye on them for progress.

If they could get a grammar class in the English department, they'd be out of this world!

Posted by: reale ()
Date: April 11, 2011 03:29PM

Chris Wrote:
> William and Mary students are smarter than UVA
> students. UVA is ranked higher because of their
> size, endowment, fiscal resources, and ability to
> attract big name professors. W&M is every bit as
> good as UVA, if not a bit better. The only way I
> see in measuring the academic prowess of a
> particular institutions students is to look at the
> awards the student body recieves. William and Mary
> students constantly outshine UVA students in that
> realm, winning many Fulbright's and Rhode's
> Scholarships.

Did you just pull this out of your ass? UVA has far more Rhodes scholars and is a better school all around. Perhaps W&M is slightly more selective, but I doubt it. Your opinion does not equal a fact. Clown.

Posted by: Angus ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:24PM

Mary Washington and JMU have reputations for training primary school teachers.

Posted by: Amazed ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:31PM

Now that is simply not true. I know a girl that graduated with a degree in Finance and was heavily recruited by Wall Street, as well as many others.

solly Wrote:
> pgens Wrote:
> -----
> > If you want to produce an unjustifiable snob
> that
> > doesn't make any more than anyone graduating
> from
> > any of the four noted schools, UVA is a good
> > choice.
>
> Pleae provide a source. You're contending that the
> average UVa grad doesn't make more than Tech or
> JMU? There's simply no way that's true. UVa is
> only school in the state that Wall St. investment
> banks will recruit at. That, by itself, would tend
> to bring up the average. Over the long haul, I'd
> also like to test your theory. UVa has a bigger
> endowment of the schools listed, which would seem
> to indicate that the grads to pretty darn well. I
> think UVa's endowment is 6 times that of Tech.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:33PM

Didn't they close the branch of ODU out on Route 7 in Sterling across from the Nova campus? I notice a number of these schools have closed up shop since the government cracked down on student loan defaults at these for-profit schools.

Posted by: gottaagree ()
Date: April 11, 2011 04:50PM

Angus Wrote:
> Mary Washington and JMU have reputations for
> training primary school teachers.

gotta agree here. That is what Mary Washington is known for; and consequently, a poly sci degree from there won't really impress anyone on a resume. Not being mean to "student" but that's how it is.

Posted by: CollegeWatcher ()
Date: April 15, 2011 10:39AM

Everyone is being ridiculous. I am a graduate of a top Virginia school and have been visiting all of these schools with my son, who was admitted to all (WM, UVA, Tech, and JMU) and will attend one of them. They are all great schools -- far superior to those of most other states' public universities (except maybe Michigan, NC, and California, with which Virginia schools are at least on par). The beauty of the VA schools is that they are all strong yet different, and one that meets one student's needs may not meet another's as well. For example, my son ended up deciding between Va Tech and JMU because the other two do not have his intended major. He is leaning towards JMU because it is more undergraduate focused, and he loved the sense of community and school spirit they displayed when he visited. Many of his friends at Tech have had to take their freshman classes on-line and/or with TA's in 600 person lecture halls, while JMU does not use TA's to teach classes (just for labs and to assist professors with research), and most of JMU's classes are under 100 students (a few are larger, but not many). Often the most famous universities pay the least attention to undergraduates. They get their fame from money that goes into research at the graduate level, which rarely trickles down to undergrads. They also get some of their fame from big-name sports. However, at a school like WM, they have a ton of intramural and club opportunities, while also having decent varsity sports. At smaller schools, you're less of a number, have smaller classes, and professors are more accessible (and speak English). Graduates of smaller, more undergraduate focused schools go to all kinds of grad school in higher numbers and also are the most likely to go on to earn PhDs. These rankings, such as US News & Wld Report, to which everyone refers are a joke; as even though they are supposed to be ranking UNDERGRADUATE programs; they always end up ranking schools based on factors that matter more to grad students and rarely trickle down to benefit undergrads (such as money for research). Bottom line is, there are real advantages to going to undergraduate focused schools over large, more famous ones; however, that may not be what everyone wants in a college experience. I don't see this as a "one school has to be THE BEST", but rather that one school may be better than another for a certain student. UVA people tend to assume that if you go to any other school in VA, it's because you coudln't get into UVA. NOT TRUE AT ALL -- throughout the last 40 years, I've known people to pick WM often over UVA and also Tech and JMU sometimes. And don't even start with the party comments -- ALL colleges are party schools to a certain extent, except maybe Brigham Young and Oral Roberts! I remember when UVA used to have the "Easters" party back in the seventies, and they had riots and four alcohol-related deaths and scores of injuries...so don't be pointing the finger at JMU. The finger-pointing and claiming one school is better than another when we are talking about apples and oranges is ridiculous -- students should go where they feel most comfortable and would fit in the best and where the academic program also meets their needs. The top five or six VA state schools in terms of UNDERGRADUATES and their needs and in terms of admissions stats/quality of student body (WM, Mary Washington, UVA, JMU, Tech, and either GMU or VCU -- depending on opinions) are all excellent choices for a variety of very smart kids, especially when comparing them to other states' public universities.

Posted by: for realz, dude? ()
Date: April 15, 2011 11:26AM

I'm sure your kids is intelligent, but he's an idiot for choosing JMU over UVa or W&M. Unless of course you're just being an anti-UVa troll and he didn't actually get in. There is simpmly NO COMPARISON. I knew tons of kids at JMU and, while there are some smarties, most of them are average or dumb. You don't want to be affiliated with that. If he's choosing a school based on availability of major, he's also being incredibly short-sighted. Undergrad majors mean jack squat in the working world. Even if you're a CS or engineer, where majors do matter, you would take a UVa kid over a JMU kid 99 times out of 100. It's more important to have a brand name alma mater than it is to study a specific field. Trust me on this. I work at a multi-billion $ company and see hundreds of college resumes every year.

Posted by: Psych Major ()
Date: April 15, 2011 12:26PM

for realz, dude? Wrote:
> I'm sure your kids is intelligent, but he's an
> idiot for choosing JMU over UVa or W&M. Unless of
> course you're just being an anti-UVa troll and he
> didn't actually get in. There is simpmly NO
> COMPARISON. I knew tons of kids at JMU and, while
> there are some smarties, most of them are average
> or dumb. You don't want to be affiliated with
> that. If he's choosing a school based on
> availability of major, he's also being incredibly
> short-sighted. Undergrad majors mean jack squat in
> the working world. Even if you're a CS or
> engineer, where majors do matter, you would take a
> UVa kid over a JMU kid 99 times out of 100. It's
> more important to have a brand name alma mater
> than it is to study a specific field. Trust me on
> this. I work at a multi-billion $ company and see
> hundreds of college resumes every year.

Was it hard to land a job in the HR Department?

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: April 15, 2011 12:39PM

for realz, dude?: All other things being equal you are correct; You send your kid to the school with the best reputation that he or she can get into. School reputations do not exist in a vacuum. They open doors to interviews and to jobs. However the key qualifier is all other things being equal. How often are they? If your kid is going to perform better at a school with a lower OVERALL reputation, or if your kid is going to have opportunities at that school that he/she won't have or won't take advantage of at the school with the better reputation, then that is the school where the kid should probably be.

Posted by: for realz, dude?: ()
Date: April 15, 2011 01:57PM

Psych Major Wrote:
> for realz, dude? Wrote:
> -----
> > I'm sure your kids is intelligent, but he's an
> > idiot for choosing JMU over UVa or W&M. Unless
> of
> > course you're just being an anti-UVa troll and
> he
> > didn't actually get in. There is simpmly NO
> > COMPARISON. I knew tons of kids at JMU and,
> while
> > there are some smarties, most of them are
> average
> > or dumb. You don't want to be affiliated with
> > that. If he's choosing a school based on
> > availability of major, he's also being
> incredibly
> > short-sighted. Undergrad majors mean jack squat
> in
> > the working world. Even if you're a CS or
> > engineer, where majors do matter, you would take
> a
> > UVa kid over a JMU kid 99 times out of 100.
> It's
> > more important to have a brand name alma mater
> > than it is to study a specific field. Trust me
> on
> > this. I work at a multi-billion $ company and
> see
> > hundreds of college resumes every year.
>
> Was it hard to land a job in the HR Department?

If by HR, you mean attorney, then yes. Becoming an attorney is difficult. As advisor to our HR department, I get to see lots of resumes and even make a decision here and again. You should try it out sometime--responsibility.

Date: April 15, 2011 02:17PM

for realz, dude?: Wrote:
> If by HR, you mean attorney, then yes. Becoming an
> attorney is difficult. As advisor to our HR
> department, I get to see lots of resumes and even
> make a decision here and again. You should try it
> out sometime--responsibility.

Yeah, most good attorneys review 100s of undergrad resumes a year. You must be glad you went to law school for that.

Posted by: for realz, dude?: ()
Date: April 15, 2011 02:45PM

Psych Major Wrote:
> for realz, dude?: Wrote:
> -----
> > If by HR, you mean attorney, then yes. Becoming
> an
> > attorney is difficult. As advisor to our HR
> > department, I get to see lots of resumes and
> even
> > make a decision here and again. You should try
> it
> > out sometime--responsibility.
>
> Yeah, most good attorneys review 100s of undergrad
> resumes a year. You must be glad you went to law
> school for that.

Are you an attorney? You ever billed 330 hours in a month poring over literally mountains of documents looking for a single word or phrase, marking each "privilegeed" or not? Well, that's what attorneys do when they're just out of law school, regardless of where they went. My suite mate was a double Harvard grad and billed just as many shitty hours as I did. So, yes, reading hundreds of resumes, interacting with smart young kids whose world isn't yet tarred by cynicism is quite a step up. But I'm sure you wouldn't understand given that you're a published novelist and professional wind surferand all.

Date: April 15, 2011 02:57PM

> Are you an attorney?

Yes, I just don't feel the need to justify my existence based upon a few pieces of paper I have. Besides, look around. You are in area saturated with attorneys. It really isn't all that distinguishing when you aren't the only attorney living on your street.

> You ever billed 330 hours in
> a month poring over literally mountains of
> documents looking for a single word or phrase,
> marking each "privilegeed" or not?

Fortunately not, and if I had, I wouldn't tell anyone about it either. My four year old son is pretty good at word search and didn't need anywhere near a law degree to find a word. Plus, a scanner with an OCR is cheaper than most 1L part timers. Wherever you work is overpaying to have someone look for a single word.

> Well, that's
> what attorneys do when they're just out of law
> school, regardless of where they went.

Keep convincing yourself of that. Not saying that a good many do that, but certainly not a majority.

> My suite mate was a double Harvard grad and billed just as
> many shitty hours as I did.

The two of you might want to look for new opportunities.

> So, yes, reading
> hundreds of resumes, interacting with smart young
> kids whose world isn't yet tarred by cynicism is
> quite a step up.

If that interests you, I suppose it is.

> But I'm sure you wouldn't
> understand given that you're a published novelist
> and professional wind surferand all.

Given your deductive reasoning skills, it is easy to see why you are and will be mired in a career of doc review.

Date: April 15, 2011 03:12PM

Psych Major Wrote:
> for realz, dude?: Wrote:
> -----
> > Are you an attorney?
>
> Yes, I just don't feel the need to justify my
> existence based upon a few pieces of paper I have.
> Besides, look around. You are in area saturated
> with attorneys. It really isn't all that
> distinguishing when you aren't the only attorney
> living on your street.
>
> > You ever billed 330 hours in
> > a month poring over literally mountains of
> > documents looking for a single word or phrase,
> > marking each "privilegeed" or not?
>
> Fortunately not, and if I had, I wouldn't tell
> anyone about it either. My four year old son is
> pretty good at word search and didn't need
> anywhere near a law degree to find a word. Plus,
> a scanner with an OCR is cheaper than most 1L part
> timers. Wherever you work is overpaying to have
> someone look for a single word.
>
> > Well, that's
> > what attorneys do when they're just out of law
> > school, regardless of where they went.
>
> Keep convincing yourself of that. Not saying that
> a good many do that, but certainly not a
> majority.
>
> > My suite mate was a double Harvard grad and
> billed just as
> > many shitty hours as I did.
>
> The two of you might want to look for new
> opportunities.
>
> > So, yes, reading
> > hundreds of resumes, interacting with smart
> young
> > kids whose world isn't yet tarred by cynicism
> is
> > quite a step up.
>
> If that interests you, I suppose it is.
>
> > But I'm sure you wouldn't
> > understand given that you're a published
> novelist
> > and professional wind surferand all.
>
> Given your deductive reasoning skills, it is easy
> to see why you are and will be mired in a career
> of doc review.

Yeah, silly me going to work for a big-name DC establishment law firm instead of working on animal rights or some other such bullshit. It's true a majority of lawyers don't do mind-numbing work on billion dollar litigation. But some of us do. When that had run its course, I looked for new opportunities. I could have gone to any number of three-letter agencies, but the govt. is filled with a lot of lazy squares. That's why I'm in-house now. Wait wait, let me guess--you're a public interest lawyer. No, better yet, public defender. Man, you being so high and mighty...hilarious!!! You kill me, small frye.

Date: April 15, 2011 03:25PM

for realz, dude? Wrote:
> Yeah, silly me going to work for a big-name DC
> establishment law firm instead of working on
> animal rights or some other such bullshit. It's
> true a majority of lawyers don't do mind-numbing
> work on billion dollar litigation. But some of us
> do. When that had run its course, I looked for new
> opportunities. I could have gone to any number of
> three-letter agencies, but the govt. is filled
> with a lot of lazy squares. That's why I'm
> in-house now. Wait wait, let me guess--you're a
> public interest lawyer. No, better yet, public
> defender. Man, you being so high and
> mighty...hilarious!!! You kill me, small frye.

Like I said, your deductive skills are indicative of your analytical ability, or lack thereof.

You can keep guessing about my status in the profession and in the process keep looking like a petty little nitwit.

Given that you've already admitted that doc prep is the highmark of your work history, I am secure in knowing that I have surpassed that financially and professionally.

As this whole back and forth started about resumes, do you have one? I think we probably have a couple of extra chairs in the library for someone with your skill set.

Alas, you probably won't have time to respond with your busy resume reviewing duties.

Date: April 15, 2011 05:09PM

Psych Major Wrote:
> -----
> > Yeah, silly me going to work for a big-name DC
> > establishment law firm instead of working on
> > animal rights or some other such bullshit. It's
> > true a majority of lawyers don't do
> mind-numbing
> > work on billion dollar litigation. But some of
> us
> > do. When that had run its course, I looked for
> new
> > opportunities. I could have gone to any number
> of
> > three-letter agencies, but the govt. is filled
> > with a lot of lazy squares. That's why I'm
> > in-house now. Wait wait, let me guess--you're a
> > public interest lawyer. No, better yet, public
> > defender. Man, you being so high and
> > mighty...hilarious!!! You kill me, small frye.
>
> Like I said, your deductive skills are indicative
> of your analytical ability, or lack thereof.
>
> You can keep guessing about my status in the
> profession and in the process keep looking like a
> petty little nitwit.
>
> Given that you've already admitted that doc prep
> is the highmark of your work history, I am secure
> in knowing that I have surpassed that financially
> and professionally.
>
> As this whole back and forth started about
> resumes, do you have one? I think we probably
> have a couple of extra chairs in the library for
> someone with your skill set.
>
> Alas, you probably won't have time to respond with
> your busy resume reviewing duties.

Actually, this started because you made a flip remark about me being in HR after I made a suggestion about pedigree. You've clearly got a chip on your shoulder. I'm fine with my job and my pedigree. You are not. You had to take some job that no lawyer with pedigree would take in their right mind. You make flip remarks and can't back it up with anything, other than to say that I must be a moron for having done doc review. Those lawyers who've never had to do doc review are basically confined to SC clerks on the high end and public interest types on the low end. I've got my $$ on one of those two.

Date: April 15, 2011 05:19PM

for realz, dude? Wrote:
> Actually, this started because you made a flip
> remark about me being in HR after I made a
> suggestion about pedigree. You've clearly got a
> chip on your shoulder. I'm fine with my job and my
> pedigree. You are not.

Again, a stellar demonstration of your deductive reasoning skills. Rest assured, my pedigress is just fine. I just let it define me the way you need to have it define you. I don't rely on the framed documents on my wall for an identity.

> You had to take some job
> that no lawyer with pedigree would take in their
> right mind.

Most lawyers would be enviable of my career path. Given your work history, I know you would be.

> You make flip remarks and can't back
> it up with anything, other than to say that I must
> be a moron for having done doc review.

I stand by that assertion. And, if you aren't a partner there, you know it was a waste of time as well.

> Those lawyers who've never had to do doc review are
> basically confined to SC clerks on the high end
> and public interest types on the low end. I've got
> my $$ on one of those two.

You should really explore our profession a bit more. If that is honestly what you believe, you have been seriously misled about the opportunities for licensed attorneys. If you even are one.

Date: April 15, 2011 11:33PM

Psych Major Wrote:
> -----
> > Actually, this started because you made a flip
> > remark about me being in HR after I made a
> > suggestion about pedigree. You've clearly got a
> > chip on your shoulder. I'm fine with my job and
> my
> > pedigree. You are not.
>
> Again, a stellar demonstration of your deductive
> reasoning skills. Rest assured, my pedigress is
> just fine. I just let it define me the way you
> need to have it define you. I don't rely on the
> framed documents on my wall for an identity.
>
> > You had to take some job
> > that no lawyer with pedigree would take in
> their
> > right mind.
>
> Most lawyers would be enviable of my career path.
> Given your work history, I know you would be.
>
> > You make flip remarks and can't back
> > it up with anything, other than to say that I
> must
> > be a moron for having done doc review.
>
> I stand by that assertion. And, if you aren't a
> partner there, you know it was a waste of time as
> well.
>
> > Those lawyers who've never had to do doc review
> are
> > basically confined to SC clerks on the high end
> > and public interest types on the low end. I've
> got
> > my $$ on one of those two.
>
> You should really explore our profession a bit
> more. If that is honestly what you believe, you
> have been seriously misled about the opportunities
> for licensed attorneys. If you even are one.

I'm not going to debate your misuse of the term deductive reasoning, but that's really beside the point, 'eh? Some lawyers might be envious of your chosen path, whatever bullshit that may be. Most lawyers, howerver, would be happy with ANY work. So what? In fact, most lawyers would kill for my chosen career path. Don't believe me? Could you have gotten a job at Covington, Latham, Wiley, W&C. A&P? I'll bet not. I'll bet your intellectually-challenged coterie of classmates couldn't either. I'll bet you're working insurance cases, like the dregs of our profession. Quel domage. Moral of this story is to have choices, like I did. Not be stuck in some gig with an over-inflated sense of self-impotance and a chip on your shoulder. Enjoy your bottom-feeding ways. I'm sure you'll impress your 4 year old, even if you can't impress anyone who's done a lick of real legal work.

Nice try, buddy. Enjoy your peanuts. Other than an obvious sense of detached inferiority, you got nothing to show for you career path. Thanks for proving my point, small frye.

Posted by: Stinkfist ()
Date: April 16, 2011 08:00AM

Pinhead the Cenobite Wrote:
> I would not rank ODU that highly.
>
> I would rank W&L up there with UVA and W&M. It is
> damned selective.

I would rank W&L ABOVE W&M. It's up there with Williams and Amherst.

Posted by: Solly ()
Date: April 16, 2011 01:21PM

Stinkfist Wrote:
> Pinhead the Cenobite Wrote:
> -----
> > I would not rank ODU that highly.
> >
> > I would rank W&L up there with UVA and W&M. It
> is
> > damned selective.
>
>
> I would rank W&L ABOVE W&M. It's up there with
> Williams and Amherst.

Hahahahahaha!!!! That's rich. You would rate W&L with Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Swarthmore? Are you nuts? No one's every heard of W&L outside of the south. Shit, more people know what VMI is. If you don't believe, go by the only rankings that matter, U.S. News. W&L isn't even in the top ten. The four I listed are the top of the list.

Posted by: suzzer ()
Date: April 16, 2011 03:30PM

OMG, Solly! My child is trying to make the same choice and it is agonizing. She has just about concluded that she would be happiest at Tech and the clincher is that the people seem inclusive, friendly, smart, motivated etc, etc. All your more subjective posts about UVa support her reasons to not go there. She is really concerned about the UVa reputation and atmosphere and finds UVa not as comfortable or livable. I am a happy and fulfilled UVa grad and I support her choice. The only problem (a big one) she seems to be having is the judgemental responses from important people in her life that ooze the same attitude as you are.

Posted by: suzzer ()
Date: April 16, 2011 03:41PM

I do need to add a post agreeing that we in VA are incredibly blessed with outstanding options for secondary education. I am just realizing the extent of that now with the college admission and acceptance season.

Posted by: Nikki R. ()
Date: April 16, 2011 03:52PM

suzzer Wrote:
> OMG, Solly! My child is trying to make the same
> choice and it is agonizing. She has just about
> concluded that she would be happiest at Tech and
> the clincher is that the people seem inclusive,
> friendly, smart, motivated etc, etc. All your
> more subjective posts about UVa support her
> reasons to not go there. She is really concerned
> about the UVa reputation and atmosphere and finds
> UVa not as comfortable or livable. I am a happy
> and fulfilled UVa grad and I support her choice.
> The only problem (a big one) she seems to be
> having is the judgemental responses from important
> people in her life that ooze the same attitude as
> you are.

I went to college out of state, so I have no dog in this fight, but your daughter thinks VT is welcoming? Other than that "unpleasantness" back in 2007, I would also point out that the football fans are rowdy, drunken and violent. And if you think, well that's just football, not the school, I would simply add that, as far as I can tell, the school IS about football. Do you really want your kid attending place where Mike Vick is treated as a god? I attended a game at FedEx and the fans were total scumbags. Some of those fans were students, others were just rednecks. Your daughter should reconsider her impressions, which, I would point out, are just that--impressions.

Posted by: .-. ()
Date: April 17, 2011 11:49AM

I would not touch Virginia Tech with a 10-metre pole.

My stepfather went there and the education was of very poor quality. One professor taught the first two weeks of class and said 'teach yourselves from here, I'll be back to give the final'.

It is impossible to hold any of these tenured mandarins to account. It is why I am through with this country's education system until drastic reforms are made.

Posted by: good choice kid! ()
Date: April 17, 2011 02:46PM

at least he didnt choose JMU that place is full of kids who do nothing but drink and waste their lives. VT is a great school, esp for engineering, UVA obviously has more street cred in Wall street but the place is full of elitists and conspirators. W&M is for fucking girls of course he didn't go there unless he likes to write in diaries n shit.... GOOOO TOOOO TECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: geeeeezus ()
Date: April 17, 2011 07:16PM

really... does it matter? there are tons of dumb fucks coming out of every college in america! might as well go to one that doesn't cost so much!

Posted by: cornholio ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:22AM

good choice kid! Wrote:
> at least he didnt choose JMU that place is full of
> kids who do nothing but drink and waste their
> lives. VT is a great school, esp for engineering,
> UVA obviously has more street cred in Wall street
> but the place is full of elitists and
> conspirators. W&M is for fucking girls of course
> he didn't go there unless he likes to write in
> diaries n shit.... GOOOO TOOOO
> TECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VA Tech is full of hillbillies, frat boy football fans and bad clothes. God, what an awful place. JMU has tons of hot women and the best party in VA. Discuss.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 18, 2011 09:24AM

geeeeezus Wrote:
> really... does it matter? there are tons of dumb
> fucks coming out of every college in america!
> might as well go to one that doesn't cost so much!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

even the kids at Yale can fuck up ever now and again :(

http://gothamist.com/2011/04/13/yale_student_killed_in_freak_chemis.php

Posted by: Ron ()
Date: April 21, 2011 06:00PM

Majors/careers aside, I would rather go to tech just because its a more fun school. I've been to UVA a couple times on weekends and was amazed how quiet it was. Of course JMU has them all beat on the partying side.

Posted by: Jerry ()
Date: April 25, 2011 03:23AM

I don't understand the argument that Virginia Tech is in any way, shape, or form, a better school then UVa. Look at the admissions statistics. What is the average GPA of an admitted Tech student vs. an admitted UVa student? I believe tech is around a 3.8 and UVa is around a 4.0. I am not saying that Virginia Tech is a bad school and for some majors it is a better choice (the sciences and engineering). However, if you want to do anything with liberal arts UVa is a far better choice. Whoever was saying that where you get your degree doesn't matter is an idiot. College is a petty game. It doesn't matter how well you do (in a sense). What matters is the doors it opens for you. What is an elite employer going to look at first on an applicants resume? Oh yea...their college. The arguments against UVa as being a elitist preppy school are true, but you are missing the bigger picture. Yes, kids at UVa wear preppy clothes. Yes, some are stuck up. You will find this anywhere. When you are at a school that attracts the best and brightest you are going to attract arrogant people. However, you are judging an ENTIRE institution off of the actions of a few. It would be just as easy to say the same about Virginia Tech, arguing that everyone that goes there is a racist hick. Go to the school that will give you the most opportunities in life. Partying is overrated. You can't redo college, it is 4 years of your life, make it count. By the way, the salary comparison statistics are ridiculous. Not only "on average" did Tech graduates make $500 more a year, you are completely missing the differences between the schools. Virginia Tech produces ENGINEERS....a major that many graduate with and immediately join the workforce. UVa is a liberal arts school where many move onto graduate school to pursue a masters degree or attend medical/law school.

At the end of the day go where you are going to be most happy, but the numbers don't lie. UVa is a better school, don't deny it. Virginia Tech is still a good University, but it simply isn't on the same level.

As far as the whole "wall street" argument going on up there. Getting a job on wall street is one of the hardest things to do in this country. It is one of the most competitive careers available. Recruitment for Wall Street is based on academic potential. They want well rounded students who have the drive to put in hard work and demonstrate critical thinking. Why do Ivy League schools act as a feeder for wall street jobs? Because the kids that go to Ivy League schools are the smartest. It doesn't matter your major for Wall Street. You can be an English major and still land a job as long as you are smart and have the desire to work in finance. Wall Street recruitment is just another example of why UVa is a better school. It has consistently ranked #1 in undergraduate business because it produces critical thinkers that know what is going on in the world and are well rounded. More kids from UVa land Wall Street jobs than kids from every other school in the commonwealth.

Date: April 25, 2011 11:51AM

Even Virginia Tech engineers know that "than" is used in comparison rather than "then."

Re: UVa vs. VA Tech vs. JMU vs. W&M new
Date: April 25, 2011 03:23AM

I don't understand the argument that Virginia Tech is in any way, shape, or form, a better school then UVa

Posted by: chiming in ()
Date: April 25, 2011 03:45PM

I was accepted into UVA, VT, and W&M (didn't apply to JMU).
Didn't go to any of them. Went to school up in PA in Computer Engineering.

That being said, my only 2 cents would be that reputation does matter. Even though I have a technical degree, I still weigh the schools in this order:

- William & Mary
- UVA
- Virginia Tech

Based on reputation alone. I know it differs for your specific technical degree.

Really though they're all great schools, my opinion is there are better schools in other places.

Posted by: Out of state tuition ()
Date: April 25, 2011 03:49PM

Virginia has great in-state schools. UVA is a great school at a great price. If you can get into UVA it is a bargain.

Date: April 25, 2011 05:14PM

Sorry for the minor grammatical error that was made at three in the morning. I'll be sure to proofread my posts in the future. Regardless, great rebuttal to my argument. Glad to see that is the only thing you could point out. Have a great day Chokie!

Date: April 26, 2011 05:52AM

You aren't sorry. You are just a typical egoist blind to his own faults while quick to point out those of others.

Jerry Wrote:
> Sorry for the minor grammatical error that was
> made at three in the morning. I'll be sure to
> proofread my posts in the future. Regardless,
> great rebuttal to my argument. Glad to see that is
> the only thing you could point out. Have a great
> day Chokie!

Date: April 26, 2011 12:56PM

I am an egotist eh? Well, once again sorry for the grammatical mistake. I didn't proofread my post as I should have. Everyone has faults, I guess mine is grammar. Still glad to see that you have no intelligent defense to my argument other than calling me an egotist.

On a side note. All Virginia schools are amazing. You will get a great job coming out of any of them. That being said, UVa is still the best. Sorry bout it.

Date: April 26, 2011 01:03PM

I do not have a horse in this race, but my opinion and that of every colleague in my group is that

UVA > W&M > VT

Simple as that. The SAT needed to get into UVA is much higher than VT; the overall GPA is higher; and, the reputation is higher (overall).

Just look at the admission stats. Acceptance rate into UVA is about 35%; Tech is over 60%.

Techies may argue otherwise but I would be willing to bet that if you were to ask 100 Va Tech students who applied to both UVA and Tech as to whether they were accepted at UVA, 90% of them would say "no".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2011 01:06PM by Pinhead the Cenobite.

Posted by: Harvard Guy ()
Date: April 26, 2011 01:29PM

UVa is the best state school in VA. It's that simple. W&M is way up there as well, but still second. The rest of the schools are solid state schools, but nothing special.

Date: April 26, 2011 01:48PM

Agreed. UVa is one of the five best public universities in the country - along with UNC, Michigan, Berkeley, and UCLA. William and Mary is probably sixth or seventh - competing with UC San Diego or UC Davis.

After that you have schools like Washington and GA Tech.

VA tech does not make it into the top 15 or 20.

Posted by: get a grip ()
Date: April 26, 2011 11:14PM

some grads from these colleges feel a sense of entitlement and are terrible in the workplace. they may be smart but they can be arrogant. some have great diplomas but no useful job skills. the hard working, humble, creative, team players with good personalities are the ones who get the jobs.

Date: April 26, 2011 11:15PM

sure, working at Wendy's.

Date: April 27, 2011 06:52AM

Although most Hokies certainly appreciated the support of our friends in Charlottesville following the April 16 shootings, you got that right.

pgens Wrote:
> If you want to produce an unjustifiable snob that
> doesn't make any more than anyone graduating from
> any of the four noted schools, UVA is a good
> choice.

Posted by: shabbashinshi ()
Date: April 27, 2011 07:41AM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
> Although most Hokies certainly appreciated the
> support of our friends in Charlottesville
> following the April 16 shootings, you got that
> right.
>
> pgens Wrote:
> -----
> > If you want to produce an unjustifiable snob
> that
> > doesn't make any more than anyone graduating
> from
> > any of the four noted schools, UVA is a good
> > choice.

What do you know about the workplace? I've literally never run into a Tech grad in my work (legal). My office is Gtown x 4, Harvard, Duke, Yale, UVA x3, Northwestern, Berkeley, Michigan, Vandy, Penn. You think all those schools together are an accident?

Posted by: Eastcounty ()
Date: April 27, 2011 11:27AM

Strange. I run into Tech grads all the time at my firm. We call them CLIENTS. I can tell you the law school of every attorney in our office. I have no idea where some of them went undergrad, and I can't recall us ever discussing an attorney's undergrad school in deciding whether to hire them, or even in deciding whether to interview them.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: April 27, 2011 12:02PM

I decided to test your theory.

I did an attorney search at Hogan and Lovells - one of the heavyweights in DC.

Number of UVa graduates (undergrad) - 101.

Number of VA Tech graduates - 1.

That says something.....

Posted by: Nick C. ()
Date: April 27, 2011 02:18PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> That says something.....

...about people who enter the legal profession, yes.
Though I'd think there'd be a good amount of VT grads as patent lawyers, requiring an engineering degree.

Full disclosure, I got into all of those schools and didn't attend any of them. I think depending on your career choices, there would be better and worse options. None is hands down better than the other in every category.

Posted by: Real Lawyer ()
Date: April 27, 2011 03:25PM

Eastcounty Wrote:
> Strange. I run into Tech grads all the time at my
> firm. We call them CLIENTS. I can tell you the
> law school of every attorney in our office. I
> have no idea where some of them went undergrad,
> and I can't recall us ever discussing an
> attorney's undergrad school in deciding whether to
> hire them, or even in deciding whether to
> interview them.

Let me guess - your speciality is DUI cases.

Posted by: Ut videam ()
Date: April 27, 2011 03:36PM

Real Lawyer? Any relation to Legal Attorney?

Posted by: Unemployed Advocate ()
Date: April 27, 2011 04:32PM

Nick C. Wrote:
> ITRADE Wrote:
> -----
> > That says something.....
>
> ...about people who enter the legal profession,
> yes.
> Though I'd think there'd be a good amount of VT
> grads as patent lawyers, requiring an engineering
> degree.
>
> Full disclosure, I got into all of those schools
> and didn't attend any of them. I think depending
> on your career choices, there would be better and
> worse options. None is hands down better than the
> other in every category.

What schools were those? You got into Harvard, Gtown, Vanderbilt, UPenn and UVA Law Schools and you're wasting your time on this board? What happened?

Posted by: Eastcounty ()
Date: April 27, 2011 05:34PM

Sorry real lawyer, but no. I do know some attorneys who do handle DUI's and I understand the pay is good. Want me to forward them your resume?

Date: April 27, 2011 05:49PM

I know a partner at Hogan. A sharp guy, he went to Washington & Lee and UVa. He sent his daughters to a fine private school. His daughter was very impressed with Virginia Tech. She plans to matriculate elswehere, but Virginia Tech was one of her top choices.

ITRADE Wrote:
> I decided to test your theory.
>
> I did an attorney search at Hogan and Lovells -
> one of the heavyweights in DC.
>
> Number of UVa graduates (undergrad) - 101.
>
> Number of VA Tech graduates - 1.
>
> That says something.....

Posted by: DoomSlayerButterCup ()
Date: April 27, 2011 07:22PM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
> I know a partner at Hogan. A sharp guy, he went
> to Washington & Lee and UVa. He sent his
> daughters to a fine private school. His daughter
> was very impressed with Virginia Tech. She plans
> to matriculate elswehere, but Virginia Tech was
> one of her top choices.
>
>
>
> ITRADE Wrote:
> -----
> > I decided to test your theory.
> >
> > I did an attorney search at Hogan and Lovells -
> > one of the heavyweights in DC.
> >
> > Number of UVa graduates (undergrad) - 101.
> >
> > Number of VA Tech graduates - 1.
> >
> > That says something.....

She sound retarded, which just goes to show you that growing up with money and privilege doesn't mean you won't be an idiot. Buh-buy.

Posted by: Real Lawyer ()
Date: April 27, 2011 07:43PM

Eastcounty Wrote:
> Sorry real lawyer, but no. I do know some
> attorneys who do handle DUI's and I understand the
> pay is good. Want me to forward them your resume?

Yeah, forward my resume to them so they can see what a real lawyer does for a living. They can also take note that there's not a shitty state school on my education section. HTFH.

Posted by: loser ()
Date: April 27, 2011 08:55PM

If you are so important and better than everyone else, where are writing on this loser forum? All of the talented lawyers that I know are busy working on important cases.

Posted by: Hokie ()
Date: May 03, 2011 11:45PM

When it comes to VT vs UVA, obviously UVA is a better school overall (academically) seeing as how it's like the #1 or #2 ranked public school in the country while VT is like in the 70s.

But it all depends on what you want to do. If you want to do engineering or architecture, VT is just as good, if not better, than UVA. But for pretty much everything else, UVA is clearly better (especially the business school).

That being said, if you're smart then you can go anywhere from both schools. I go to VT and know people who got sales & trading internships on Wall Street (Goldman Sachs, Citi, Morgan Stanley, etc). We've got two student-run investment groups (SEED and BASIS) that each invest $5 million of the school's endowment. Most ivy league schools don't have that and I'm pretty sure UVA doesn't either. If you can get into one of those groups (they're competitive), you'll be able to leverage that experience and the alumni networks to get interviews at Wall Street firms. Btw Citi recruits here. Am I claiming that VT is better than UVA for getting on Wall Street? Of course not. But if you're smart, you'll be able to get a job on Wall Street regardless of which of the two you choose (well if you want to go into investment banking, you're going to have to network your ass off at VT since that's more prestige driven than S&T).

W&M is a good school, but it's a liberal arts school. Don't go there if you're trying to major in something practical.

I'd only go to JMU for the girls

All this bitching about VT vs UVA is stupid though. If you're smart, you'll succeed whichever you choose. But if you're going to major in something bullshit like communications, definitely try to get into UVA.

Posted by: dislike snobs ()
Date: May 04, 2011 09:22PM

Hey Farmer -

Why do get off making fun of other professions? You sound like you were raised in a narrow minded family. Why do you think it is ok to judge everyone by what they do for a living? Does it make you feel better about your life? Is your self esteem completely tied to your occupation? Perhaps you are highly educated or accomplised - who would want to be your friend with that attitude?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 04, 2011 09:25PM

@dislike snob - I like what you said, but honestly, if you dislike snopbs, you are living in the WRONG county :)

@ Hokie - only A.U. Comm majors amount to a hill of beans around here.

Posted by: NA ()
Date: May 04, 2011 09:30PM

It would make a lot of sense if the kid wants to be an engineer. I'm in the engineering program at VT and have interned for 3 different companies in both NOVA/Central VA and each one has flat out told me that they would not hire from UVA. Yes, overall UVA has a better academic reputation, but within the engineering sector (which is all that matters if you are an engineer) VT blows UVA out of the water.

Posted by: salaryman ()
Date: May 05, 2011 08:12AM

I am a salary man, UVA guys get paid the most

Posted by: more money ()
Date: May 05, 2011 08:30AM

uva gets paid the most in what profession? i know plenty of high paying engineers who didn't go to uva. i also hire and have read stacks of resumes. some mit folks don't make the cut because they have NO personal/team skills. it is important to find the right education/personality/skill set combo for the job that needs to be done.

paid the most - does that mean they get to buy a bigger house, pay a higher electric bill, buy more furniture, buy a fancier car? i know people who make lots of money and waste it, say on an almost $1000 monthly electric bill, because they live in a mcmansion. it isn't always about making more money. i hope you aren't raising your kids to believe that money is everything.

Posted by: abc ()
Date: May 06, 2011 02:16AM

I am tired of everyone saying that only band geeks and ugly girls go to W&M. Anybody with the decency to visit before bashing would realize that this is false. Yes, there are plenty of really weird people at W&M. But, there is also a good amount of cool people who are normal and attractive.

Also, there aren't very many band geeks at the school (evident from the VERY small pep band at the football games).

Posted by: jdisk ()
Date: May 06, 2011 02:21AM

W&M is a lot harder to get into than UVA. UVA and W&M switch back and forth between which one is ranked higher year after year. I would say that W&M reflects a student that was more committed in high school (not saying UVA students weren't, just W&M more so).

Posted by: rob ()
Date: May 06, 2011 03:58AM

harder if you are white. Be minority with a 3.5+ gpa and youre pretty much into any of those schools (by minority i mean hispanic or black)

Posted by: josh56 ()
Date: May 06, 2011 10:04AM

Acctually Vtech has the best engineering program in the state by far which many consider the hardest undergrad major. UVa has the best business program which usually produces the biggest earners. William and Mary has the smartest kids you would never want to hang out with and JMU throws the best riots.

Posted by: W/M ()
Date: May 09, 2011 06:24AM

if you can get in, instate w&m tuition is the best bang

Posted by: GoldenBear ()
Date: June 13, 2012 11:37AM

If never ceases to amaze me the level of misinformation on these boards. It's great to rah rah the schools but Virginia Schools are easily ranked on an index of Graduation Rate - an unbiased verfiable measure that mirrors closely Selectivity and Rankings for a reason --- it's an indicator for one and an outcome of the other.

All biases aside, here is the actual ranking of schools based on this most key of metrics. And I would argue consistent with most published rankings out there.

http://collegecompletion.chronicle.com/table/

College Graduation rate (150%) Graduation rate (100%) Type
# Location
1 University of VirginiaCharlottesville, Virginia 92.70% 84.50% Public4-year
2 Washington and Lee University 91.00% 83.12% Private4-year
3 College of William and MaryWilliamsburg, Virginia 89.70% 82.20% Public4-year
4 University of RichmondRichmond, Virginia 87.30% 81.30% Private4-year
5 James Madison UniversityHarrisonburg, Virginia 82.50% 67.50% Public4-year
6 Virginia TechBlacksburg, Virginia 79.90% 53.30% Public4-year
7 University of Mary WashingtonFredericksburg, Virginia 75.40% 67.90% Public4-year
8 Bridgewater CollegeBridgewater, Virginia 63.50% 57.50% Private4-year
9 George Mason UniversityFairfax, Virginia 63.40% 39.30% Public4-year
10 Christopher Newport UniversityNewport News, Virginia 60.00% 42.40% Public4-year

Posted by: Gmu good? ()
Date: June 13, 2012 12:34PM

I would put JMU bellow GMU.

GMU 51.7% accepted JMU 59.9% accepted

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best...s/george-mason-university-3749

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/jmu-3721

Virginia Tech Admissions 67.0% accepted

Posted by: laughable ()
Date: June 13, 2012 01:00PM

Gmu good? Wrote:
> I would put JMU bellow GMU.
>
> GMU 51.7% accepted JMU 59.9% accepted
>
> http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best
> ...s/george-mason-university-3749
>
> http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/bes
> t-colleges/jmu-3721
>
> Virginia Tech Admissions 67.0% accepted

Then you would be a misinformed putz.

Posted by: you are all morons ()
Date: June 13, 2012 08:45PM

Ok, morons

The bottom line it depends on what you study.

Stop trashing these fine schools and be glad you dont live ij MD

Posted by: GMU Grad ()
Date: June 13, 2012 11:07PM

You must be kidding. JMU and VT both have higher SAT and UGPA than GMU. If GMU has many more unqualified applicants, and therefore must reject some more, that doesn't mean it is more selective, LOL.

Posted by: it's 2012 ()
Date: June 13, 2012 11:21PM

the college model is becoming a scam. congress is paying attention now because the loan debt is inhibiting homeownership.

many of the va colleges are liberal arts based. good luck with those dipolomas.

uva embraces spoiled rich entitled bullies. the school rates high because of the endowments, a factor that has nothing to do with academics. they have stuffy board members who embrace tradition and dislike change. us news and princeton review appear to be in cahoots w/the big old name universities with rich alumni.

normal kids don't want to go to wm anymore. can't get a job with any 4 year degree that they offer. have to go to grad school which is more loan debt. hard to make friends, no shortage of pot smokers.

vt appeals to many for the football post graduation because freshman can't get tickets. no one raves about the online math classes or the inability to find a live body advisor. no one says they have fun there. forget about getting in if you are from fairfax county. it is all about the connections post graduation although some of the young grads showed their arrogance and got fired.

kids want to go jmu because it is similiar to the college experience from the 80's generation. it is fun, people are normal, they have good academic programs. school also appeals to people who fear diversity.

gmu and odu had similiar beginnings and they both have new campuses and curriculums. both schools were lacking in campus dorms and attracted local working students who took longer to graduate because they weren't as affluent or they didn't want to take out loans. both schools have invested heavily in dorms and classes and transformed into destination schools for traditional 4 year students. both are set in prime business areas as opposed to sprawling rural locations and they work with business communities to gear curriculums to industry needs. both have sports with loyal fan bases but don't rank as high as division 1 because investment in sports is a rating factor.

alot of the former 4 year business or engineering programs have become 5 year programs and this is skewing the 4 year graduation benchmark which is a factor in the school ratings.

follow the money. all va colleges will knock an in-state off the list to take a higher paying out-of-state. as another poster noted, the gpa's are not accurate and promotes phishing for more application fees. it is a win win game for admissions as it makes the application/admission rate look better.

the automatic admission from nvcc also comes with strings - nvcc will transfer into arts and letters but good luck transferring into engineering or business - those have separate admissions and pecking order of transfers starts with the college intended who started at the university as freshmen, then other university transfers, then nvcc. article indicated that jmu took 2 transfers out of thousands that applied to the business college. pure money for the school.

can't apply the factors from the white dominated, rich, pre-technology era of the 80's to the college scene today. the demographics and the economy have changed the game. many of the posters here are old and can argue the old model until the cows come home. the new generation of students aren't buying into the old game which is what some of the posters have noted. kids are picking the "lower" rated schools over the higher ones because they don't embrace things like 100 year old campuses with no signs of weekend life, online math then ride the bus to the testing center to take the math test on a computer, 4 year majors that lead to unemployment with the added bonus of undergrad student loan payments that exceed 700/mo for the first 10 years post graduation.

the new generation is looking for success in their new world and the criteria from 3 decades ago is not working for them in 2012.

Posted by: What Really Matters... ()
Date: June 14, 2012 12:32AM

Once you get out of college (I went to W&M), you realize that all this hoopla over college choice is a bunch of crap. What really matters is your ability to perform at your job. Attending an elite school may make you more attractive initially in your job search and for grad school opportunities, but eventually your advancement in your career is dictated less by your school name and more by you. I've seen people from UVa who completely fizzled and people from VT kicking ass making 100K+. Success is much more a function of the individual, not the college.

Posted by: UVA'80 ()
Date: June 14, 2012 12:43AM

What Really Matters... Wrote:
> Once you get out of college (I went to W&M), you
> realize that all this hoopla over college choice
> is a bunch of crap. What really matters is your
> ability to perform at your job...

Exactly. Once you're out of school for a few years nobody really cares or even asks much beyond just school pissing contests as here.

Although I will concede that Notre Dame alum stand out as an exception to that. They definitely take care of each other and that one does seem to open some doors.

Posted by: snobberu ()
Date: June 14, 2012 06:49PM

Uva creates snobs.
Pure snobs.

They are all over ffx

Posted by: xhdhhdhhdhh ()
Date: June 15, 2012 07:59AM

: GMU Grad Wrote:
> You must be kidding. JMU and VT both have higher
> SAT and UGPA than GMU. If GMU has many more
> unqualified applicants, and therefore must reject
> some more, that doesn't mean it is more selective,
> LOL.
Jmu and gmu sats are on par

JMU Total: 1580-1870 Critical Reading: 520-620 Math: 540-630 Writing: 520-620 Applicants: 19,245

GMU Total: 1545-1875 Critical Reading: 510-620 Math: 520-630 Applicants: 13,732

http://www.satscores.us/sat_scores_by_college.asp?College_ID=232423

http://satscores.us/sat_scores_by_college.asp?College_ID=232186

Posted by: Mr.CommonSense ()
Date: June 17, 2012 03:33PM

Maybe the kid didn't like the UVA campus and preferred the VT campus?

Yes academic rating is important, but the one thing more important is feeling comfortable on the campus.

I have a son who turned down Tech to go to ODU for engineering because of the distance to Virginia Beach. ((worked out too, he interns at the ship yard)) And I have another son who turned down UVA and went to JMU because he liked being closer to the ski slopes.

Might as well like the scenery if you're going to be there for four years.

Posted by: WP this week ()
Date: June 19, 2012 07:28PM

anyone following the WP this week? is it legal for alumni to donate multi millions to a public institution? is this why the school ranks so high?

Posted by: Hokie Girl ()
Date: August 11, 2012 08:37PM

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie Hi <3

Posted by: meh ()
Date: August 11, 2012 08:40PM

Hokie Girl Wrote:
> Hokie, Hokie, Hokie Hi <3

You bumped this old thread just to say that?

Well I guess it's obvious where Virginia Tech stands in this list

(hint: it's one letter off from list)

(VaTech hint: it's last)

Posted by: 101 ()
Date: August 12, 2012 01:51AM

pgens Wrote:
> solly Wrote:
> -----
> > pgens Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > If you want to produce an unjustifiable snob
> that
> > > doesn't make any more than anyone graduating
> from
> > > any of the four noted schools, UVA is a good
> > > choice.
> >
> > Pleae provide a source. You're contending that
> the
> > average UVa grad doesn't make more than Tech or
> > JMU? There's simply no way that's true. UVa is
> > only school in the state that Wall St.
> investment
> > banks will recruit at. That, by itself, would
> tend
> > to bring up the average.
>
> Sorry, but your assumptions are mistaken. It may
> have a bigger endowment (I don't know) but that
> doesn't mean the average graduate from UVA makes a
> larger starting salary as the average graduate
> from the other schools.
>
> Source One:
>
> Please see this link... notice the word
> "engineering" all over it? I don't see
> "investment banker" in the top fifteen. In fact
> that category was severely hit in the past two
> years in case you don't keep up with the news...
> new grads see much higher competition now, as they
> are competing with seasoned veterans in a smaller
> job market. When Bear and Lehman went away, those
> bankers have to go somewhere.
>
> The report linked below is less than one year
> old.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/24/news/economy/highe
> st_starting_salaries/index.htm
>
> Now, if you wanted to get into the engineering
> categories listed in that report, are you going to
> go to Virginia Tech or to UVA? It would be silly
> to pick UVA. It is a very common misconception
> that students from UVA or other "elite" schools
> fare any better than those from the other state
> colleges. It is an image those schools created
> over time and heavily rely on to keep tuitions
> up.
>
>
> Source two: Virginia Tech BEATS UVA
>
> http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/top-us-colle
> ges-graduate-salary-statistics.asp
>
> Again, 2009 report. Read and lament the extra
> money you spent on UVA, sure didn't do the kid any
> good.
>
> University of Virginia (UVA): median start
> $52,200, median career $97,200
>
> Virginia Tech: median start $52,900, median career
> $97,400
>
>
> Your turn.

Your first source doesn't connect VaTech and UVa. It just says "engineering jobs" make more money.

Your second source (I will admit I didn't read) but I have to ask if it includes individuals that went Pro which skew data.

Posted by: mvg2480 ()
Date: August 15, 2012 06:37PM

Vcu :) all my friends go to jmu and tech. Vcu is my home. Its wonderful and underrated. I just wish the Jackson ward and carver district were not so scary to walk around at night >.< yeah. Vcu is great for arts and sciences. Just not off campus at night... But I was considering uva and gmu. Both great schools too. I picked vcu because of its diversity and bustling environment.

Posted by: fafaflohi ()
Date: August 15, 2012 06:57PM

GMU was cost effective, plus going to college closer to DC means you could see music that didn't suck. But then again, GMU doesn't have a football team-but when I went there it was about 50/50 male female.

Posted by: ohohoh ()
Date: August 15, 2012 07:13PM

What about Mary Washington in Fredericksburg? All I know is a friend went there for biology degree, he liked it.

Posted by: Theory ()
Date: August 15, 2012 07:52PM

Since most people seem to end up defending the school that they went to, I think that means a lot of people just adjust and find their niche at the school those choose. And how successful they become is probably more of how motivated they are and less of how "good" the school was.

Posted by: rob ()
Date: August 16, 2012 12:48AM

i am keeping gmu as a backup school (majoring in I.T with my goal in cyber sec.). i decided out of state is a better option (Pitt that is).

gmu is a pain in the ass to park at, its a commuter school with no real tie-ins. sides, ive been born and raised here and ive seen the stuff our area has to offer. time to try something new even if the city itself is old.

Posted by: HokieDude ()
Date: August 16, 2012 01:44AM

VT class of 2016 has an average GPA of 3.98 and SAT score of 1250, and includes 1500 legacies and first ever set of quadruplets attending. #VTFTW

Posted by: quota ()
Date: August 17, 2012 11:22PM

Jerry Wrote:
> I don't understand the argument that Virginia Tech
> is in any way, shape, or form, a better school
> then UVa. Look at the admissions statistics. What
> is the average GPA of an admitted Tech student vs.
> an admitted UVa student? I believe tech is around
> a 3.8 and UVa is around a 4.0. I am not saying
> that Virginia Tech is a bad school and for some
> majors it is a better choice (the sciences and
> engineering). However, if you want to do anything
> with liberal arts UVa is a far better choice.
> Whoever was saying that where you get your degree
> doesn't matter is an idiot. College is a petty
> game. It doesn't matter how well you do (in a
> sense). What matters is the doors it opens for
> you. What is an elite employer going to look at
> first on an applicants resume? Oh yea...their
> college. The arguments against UVa as being a
> elitist preppy school are true, but you are
> missing the bigger picture. Yes, kids at UVa wear
> preppy clothes. Yes, some are stuck up. You will
> find this anywhere. When you are at a school that
> attracts the best and brightest you are going to
> attract arrogant people. However, you are judging
> an ENTIRE institution off of the actions of a few.
> It would be just as easy to say the same about
> Virginia Tech, arguing that everyone that goes
> there is a racist hick. Go to the school that will
> give you the most opportunities in life. Partying
> is overrated. You can't redo college, it is 4
> years of your life, make it count. By the way, the
> salary comparison statistics are ridiculous. Not
> only "on average" did Tech graduates make $500
> more a year, you are completely missing the
> differences between the schools. Virginia Tech
> produces ENGINEERS....a major that many graduate
> with and immediately join the workforce. UVa is a
> liberal arts school where many move onto graduate
> school to pursue a masters degree or attend
> medical/law school.
>
> At the end of the day go where you are going to be
> most happy, but the numbers don't lie. UVa is a
> better school, don't deny it. Virginia Tech is
> still a good University, but it simply isn't on
> the same level.
>
> As far as the whole "wall street" argument going
> on up there. Getting a job on wall street is one
> of the hardest things to do in this country. It is
> one of the most competitive careers available.
> Recruitment for Wall Street is based on academic
> potential. They want well rounded students who
> have the drive to put in hard work and demonstrate
> critical thinking. Why do Ivy League schools act
> as a feeder for wall street jobs? Because the kids
> that go to Ivy League schools are the smartest. It
> doesn't matter your major for Wall Street. You can
> be an English major and still land a job as long
> as you are smart and have the desire to work in
> finance. Wall Street recruitment is just another
> example of why UVa is a better school. It has
> consistently ranked #1 in undergraduate business
> because it produces critical thinkers that know
> what is going on in the world and are well
> rounded. More kids from UVa land Wall Street jobs
> than kids from every other school in the
> commonwealth.

There is no correlation between GPA, SAT and admissions if you are from Fairfax Co. UVA takes TJ and out of state kids. It is easier to get into WM for English or Pysch than it is to get into UVA for Business. You can get into VT for History but it is extremely competitive for Engineering unless you are from PW County. Kids pick ODU for Criminal Justice, IT and Marine Biology. They also pick GMU for IT. JMU is preferred over WM.

Posted by: dumb ()
Date: August 17, 2012 11:43PM

> Psych Major Wrote:
> -----
> > for realz, dude?: Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > If by HR, you mean attorney, then yes.
> Becoming
> > an
> > > attorney is difficult. As advisor to our HR
> > > department, I get to see lots of resumes and
> > even
> > > make a decision here and again. You should
> try
> > it
> > > out sometime--responsibility.
> >
> > Yeah, most good attorneys review 100s of
> undergrad
> > resumes a year. You must be glad you went to
> law
> > school for that.
>
> Are you an attorney? You ever billed 330 hours in
> a month poring over literally mountains of
> documents looking for a single word or phrase,
> marking each "privilegeed" or not? Well, that's
> what attorneys do when they're just out of law
> school, regardless of where they went. My suite
> mate was a double Harvard grad and billed just as
> many shitty hours as I did. So, yes, reading
> hundreds of resumes, interacting with smart young
> kids whose world isn't yet tarred by cynicism is
> quite a step up. But I'm sure you wouldn't
> understand given that you're a published novelist
> and professional wind surferand all.

talk about dumbasses in the workforce? have come across many dumbass attorneys who couldn't reason their way out of a paper bag. A for arrogance for certain. they make others do their work for them, then add commas and take the credit. they have sloppy quality control and can't figure out if a bad attachment has been included. engineers and it professionals command far higher salaries than attorneys.

Posted by: VT done ()
Date: August 18, 2012 10:30AM

Engineering is one of the restricted majors at Tech. There should be a special page on their admissions that lists the reqs for freshmen and sophomores to gain admittance to the engineering school. Many of them are weeded out in frehman and sophome mathematics (I remember the figure to be upwards of 70% switch after freshman year, usually to business). It behooves one to take them in AP to get credit for the courses.

Posted by: More ()
Date: August 18, 2012 11:01AM

VT done Wrote:
> Engineering is one of the restricted majors at
> Tech. There should be a special page on their
> admissions that lists the reqs for freshmen and
> sophomores to gain admittance to the engineering
> school. Many of them are weeded out in frehman
> and sophome mathematics (I remember the figure to
> be upwards of 70% switch after freshman year,
> usually to business). It behooves one to take
> them in AP to get credit for the courses.

Couldn't agree more. People don't seem to understand Engineering. 4 years of Calculus are needed in order to pass the other Engineering classes - Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Statics, Electrical Circuits, etc. Approximately 8 lab sciences are required - many of these are 4 credit classes, 3 credits for class plus 1 credit for a 3 hour weekly lab which requires more time for lab write up. Philosphy, Logic, Engineering Economics, English Comp, Technical Writing, Computer Programming are more requirements.

Where do these people get off thinking Liberal Arts majors are the thinkers of the world? Engineers can think circles around most liberal arts majors including Attorneys. Engineers have to be able to write and can draft most legal type papers. Attorneys and others cannot begin to read, draw or understand Engineering plans or technical specifications. All these arrogant liberal arts types who profess to have analytical skills should try 2 semesters in Engineering.

Engineers read about History and Government in their spare time because they are inquisitive people. Many Engineers have foreign ancestory and have either lived through nasty history in other parts of the world or they had relatives who lived through oppressive governments - they don't need to spend 4 years and $80K to read about it.

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.