HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
arrested for drunk in public.. looking for some advice
Posted by: humanliberty ()
Date: May 20, 2007 04:28PM

Hello friends,

I am an international PHD student economics at George Mason University from The Netherlands on a F-1 Visa, ( but I consider myself a patriotic american :). Recently after finishing my finals at George Mason I drank some beers with some friends.

After drinking we went home to a friends place, where I had a lively discussion outside on the road ( about cultural differences. lol ) that he neighbors perceived as a possible fight. A police officer came and arrested me for smelling like alcohol in public ( I was on the road ) . I spent a night in jail, and now I have to go to court for a Class IV Misdemeanor "drunk in public".

I was wondering what the best tactic is to proceed? I do not want stuff on my 'record'. In Amsterdam its perfectly normal to be drunk in public ( as long as you dont hurt anyone ofcourse! ) and the same in DC where I live, so I kind of forgot its a big deal in the USA in silent areas. ( but understandable! Americans dont take BS. twenty something guys at 2am having loud discussions while your trying to sleep are irritating . )

Anyway, I was hoping any of you could give me some advice?
I was thinking of contacting my embassy, the University and possible get a lawyer, although I'd kind of feel like a wimp for contacting my embassy at the first minor setback in the system I have embraced ;)

Thanks all for your help! I want to keep a clean record in this wonderful country!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: arrested for drunk in public.. looking for some advice
Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: May 20, 2007 04:34PM

First, I would suggest you not seek advice from the Internet. Most of the people on this site - with the exception of myself, of course - aren't qualified to work at 7-11, much less dispense legal advice. I would suggest you contact the embassy and see what help they might be able to provide.

Date: May 20, 2007 04:36PM

thanks for the advice. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask on here.. local knowledge is what its about..

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: May 20, 2007 04:42PM

No problem. I have found that with this site in particular, people who get busted for driving an expired license suddenly think they are Perry Mason because they pleaded down. Any advice you get from these folks, even if it appears sound or well-intentioned, should be taken with a grain of salt until you speak with a real attorney.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: May 20, 2007 08:00PM

Drunk in public is a BS charge that means the officer felt you needed to be removed from the situation until you cooled off. You might try contacting the officer to see if he'll dismiss the charge.

Posted by: . ()
Date: May 20, 2007 08:34PM

What's even more BS is that 20 young boys thought it would be a good idea to be outside carrying on at 2 AM. I don't care what country you are from, that's rude in any country and in any language. I'm glad you were removed from the situation. Maybe it will make you grow up a little and think about things.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 20, 2007 08:52PM

Drunk in public is a BS charge that means the officer felt you needed to be removed from the situation until you cooled off.

That's not exactly true, I know a couple people that got the same charge here in FFX, while they were walking home by themselves. One friend was walking in his own neighborhood at 3AM by himself, and a cop just pulled over to ask him what he was doing. They smelled alcohol on his breath and charged him with drunk in public. The same thing happened to someone else I know while he was waiting for a ride at Dun Loring after the metro closed. I've always had the impression that FFX cops are real sticklers when it comes to fining people for Drunk in Public. Nuisance-makers, people making noise, and dangerous situations, that's understandable. But it seems like these cops just look to add that fine to anyone they can find.

Flame away, all you eagle-scout cop-loving brethern...

Posted by: dad ()
Date: May 20, 2007 09:20PM

Pay the fine. You do not have to go to court

Posted by: JJ ()
Date: May 20, 2007 10:16PM

Drunk In Public, county ordinance 5-1-1 is only that, a county ordinance, it will never show up on your criminal history. Not sure where you got the class 4 misdameanor from, must have been another charge you got.

Pre-pay the $92 and you will have nothing but a name on the arrest list, or you can join the thousands of illegal immigrants who never pay their's.

Date: May 20, 2007 10:33PM

The american law system is AMAZING in keeping equality alive. It also keeps you on edge and reminds you that any perceived safety is but a small shield against the real world of dangerous nature and dangerous humans.

About:
"What's even more BS is that 20 young boys thought it would be a good idea to be outside carrying on at 2 AM. "
We were with 2.. and discussions about cultures are tough. I think a lot of immigrants just do not think about it. I am not afraid of confronting my "Home-system" The Netherlands, and discussing it. Even though my noisy pro-american defense backfired on me this time.. I learned my lesson :) Do not get drunk after finals, go out on street when in bad mood because of situation in home-country, and ruin peoples nights and sound sleep.

Anyway Thanks for your help, any comments from Americans give me more insight in how this beautiful system works. Caus never forget, even with the defects it is the best hope for mankind :)

Date: May 20, 2007 11:26PM

JJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drunk In Public, county ordinance 5-1-1 is only
> that, a county ordinance, it will never show up on
> your criminal history. Not sure where you got the
> class 4 misdameanor from, must have been another
> charge you got.
>
> Pre-pay the $92 and you will have nothing but a
> name on the arrest list, or you can join the
> thousands of illegal immigrants who never pay
> their's.

Spoken like a true FFX Officer... just admit guilt, pay the fine and everything will be fine.

My HR department runs computer background checks on everybody we hire and I have seen drunk in public show up on the reports. I am not 100% sure if they were FFX county DIP's but it did list them.

And yes, the DIP does count against people we are looking to hire. I've also heard it can screw up security clearances.

Date: May 20, 2007 11:37PM

Posted by: harry potter ()
Date: May 21, 2007 12:12AM

If you go to court the Judge will toss the charge. Fight it

Date: May 21, 2007 06:47AM

I've also heard it can screw up security clearances.

Not necessarily. I know someone that recently got a TS clearance, and he's had a drunk in public charge within the past eight years.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 21, 2007 07:55AM

I know a guy who got a TS clearance recently with an assault conviction from 1997...

Posted by: El Mono Rojo ()
Date: May 21, 2007 11:02AM

http://www.elmonorojo.com/

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:04PM by El Mono Rojo.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: May 21, 2007 12:13PM

Yup, I'd show up in court and tell the judge exactly what happened, isolated incident, and that you are completely sorry for the incident and it will not happen again.

It might also help to call the cop who arrested you and get on his good side.

Did you yell at the cop? Usually that's when they throw you in the car.

I've had my discussions with FFX officers and most are very reasonable if you are calm, reasonable and make sense. Years ago I was with a guy who got busted for a DWI and one of the officers drove the rest of us about 2 miles home because he didn't want us walking slightly intoxicated along the highway.

So there are some really cool FFX cops out there, but if you treat them like dirt you'll get the same back.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: May 21, 2007 06:38PM

It may affect you later if you try for US citizenship. I understand things are dissferent in Amsterdam, but, this could come back to haunt you.

Speak from knowledge. Contact legal Aid and speak to a lawyer for a small fee. They will outline what your options are.

Also, I still believe Golden Earing was a highly over rated band who had one minor hit and do not deserve to be played on any classic rock station.

The dutch people I know are generally quiet and prefer to play chess or play with their telescopes. Find some Dutch people and hang around with them if you want to stay out of trouble.

Date: May 21, 2007 07:26PM

Golden Earing was a highly over rated band

LOL, Golden Earring. When the Bullet Hits the Bone!

Bettie Serveert is from Amsterdam, and they're really a great band.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: May 21, 2007 07:34PM

Not taking sides but sometimes the cops have to make the arrest to cover their own asses. Example some old busy body calls the cops about all the noise and the cops come by and just move the guys along with no arrests. Ten minutes later the same guys are out there again making the same noise over again. The old hag then calls the watch commander to bitch about the cops not doing anything and then the cops ass is in a bind.
Other example is the guy walking home drunk. The cop tells him to keep going and hope he makes it ok. Five minutes later he is mowed down by a car as he staggers into the street. Who do you think will be blamed for that?

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 21, 2007 10:22PM

Golden Earring had more than one hit song... "twilight zone", "radar love", "eight miles high"..

Posted by: grow up.... ()
Date: May 21, 2007 10:42PM

just pay the 92 dollar fine and get over it...you were being drunk and loud, outside, at 2 am! what'd you expect to happen?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 22, 2007 04:37AM

grow up.... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just pay the 92 dollar fine and get over it...you
> were being drunk and loud, outside, at 2 am!
> what'd you expect to happen?

LOL! i agree. whatever happened to personal responsibility?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: MRORGANIC ()
Date: May 22, 2007 10:23AM

Get an attorney. I will refer one that has helped me out a ton-he's right next to Mason too, right where Red Hot and Blue is....
703-691-1334. Tell him MR ORGANIC sent you.
Keep in mind this is CRIMINAL. Mr Bevis will get it dropped trust me.

Date: May 22, 2007 10:26AM

Not on your record?!?!??!?
I got pulled over for running a light and as the officer was issuing a ticket, my passenger just started talking shit! The officer told me that if I don't control my passengers, I will get another ticket. So, I was found guilty of cursing in public. Drunk in public is the say misdeameanor weight. Fuck legal aid, get an attorney!

Date: May 22, 2007 10:29AM

Jester's right.....all that shit comes up on this screen!!!!
Even if you get the speeding tickets dropped, they still show up.
You will get DENIED for that job immediately!
Especially if your employer needs to BOND you.

Posted by: ralph ruben emmers ()
Date: May 31, 2007 03:27AM

"What's even more BS is that 20 young boys thought it would be a good idea to be outside carrying on at 2 AM."

I am sorry, I wasn't clear enough. We were only with 2 and we were about to go to sleep but were talking loud in front of the house.

I haven't decided how to progress yet with this but it'll be interesting to experience the American law system at work.

Posted by: Joe H ()
Date: June 01, 2007 09:23PM

i got arrested for DIP last year on mason day... at george mason. I was lying in the grass by myself and they walked up and smelled alcohol, hauled me off to detox for the night... these were mason cops which pretty much have nothing better to do. I went to court, told the judge i was sorry and asked him if there was a program to keep the charge off my record. He gave me 50 hours community service which i served at mason with some cool guys (even though it was terrible) and i had to pay court fees... I believe if you do the community service it will be stricken from your record but the arrest will still show up (just not the charge). I regret not pleading innocent because i was never breatalized so thers no proof and i should be presumed innocent, but i suppose they take the word of a cop over mine so i didn't want to take my chances... Hope this helps
-Joe

Posted by: . ()
Date: June 01, 2007 10:00PM

Well Joe, a "breathalizer" is never necessary or required for DIP. There is no "legal limit" for appearing drunk in public. You just have to exhibit some signs of alcohol and/or drug intoxication.

Riddle me this: why were you "lying in the grass" with alcohol on your breath at night to begin with?

Might the "Mason cops with nothing else better to do" have thought you were passed out or at least had consumed a little too much? Were you even 21 years of age at the time?

Date: June 02, 2007 10:21AM

Well, since you asked, i was 21 indeed. And as for why i was lying in the grass near the Mason Pond enjoying the beautiful day, well i guess some people just enjoy the outdoors... I was not aware that could be filed under drunken or unruly behavior. People going to state parks better watch out. Not to say i hadnt had some to drink on the biggest party day of the school year, but i believe the spirit of the law is to prevent unruly public behavior (since it is filed under the same charge as public swearing). This would indicate that arresting someone simply because they had alcohol on their breath is not what the law was designed to do. Further, how many beers begin to make a persons breath smell like alcohol? I think it's pretty arbitrary and there needs to be some measurement scale to call a person drunk. The way we typically measure this is the blood alcohol content scale measured with the device i referred to as the "breatalizer" which measures the parts per million of alcohol in your lungs. I actually bough one of these devices for my home to make sure no one can claim they are safe to drive. I have found it to be useful but not always accurate. I have also found some people to be "more drunk" with lower BAC levels. That, however, is beside the point. My point is that to claim i was drunk or had unruly public behavior, there should be some sort of evidence. I clearly was not unruly, so the evidence should point to being drunk, which there simply was no evidence for. And to take an officers word for it, calling me drunk without testing my BAC... well call me a skeptic but i believe there is a conflict of interest in taking the accusers word above the defendants simply based on the fact he is a cop. This sort of thinking can lead to corruption, which is why our system presumes innocent until proven guilty; something i think we have lost sight of in recent years.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: June 02, 2007 04:46PM

well said .. Joe H .. Well said

Posted by: mudkips ()
Date: June 04, 2007 01:23AM

go kill yourself.

do a barrel roll.

and don't ask for advice from the Internets.

Posted by: Y2K ()
Date: June 04, 2007 12:35PM

JOE H WROTE:

Well, since you asked, i was 21 indeed. And as for why i was lying in the grass near the Mason Pond enjoying the beautiful day, well i guess some people just enjoy the outdoors... I was not aware that could be filed under drunken or unruly behavior. People going to state parks better watch out. Not to say i hadnt had some to drink on the biggest party day of the school year, but i believe the spirit of the law is to prevent unruly public behavior (since it is filed under the same charge as public swearing). This would indicate that arresting someone simply because they had alcohol on their breath is not what the law was designed to do. Further, how many beers begin to make a persons breath smell like alcohol? I think it's pretty arbitrary and there needs to be some measurement scale to call a person drunk. The way we typically measure this is the blood alcohol content scale measured with the device i referred to as the "breatalizer" which measures the parts per million of alcohol in your lungs. I actually bough one of these devices for my home to make sure no one can claim they are safe to drive. I have found it to be useful but not always accurate. I have also found some people to be "more drunk" with lower BAC levels. That, however, is beside the point. My point is that to claim i was drunk or had unruly public behavior, there should be some sort of evidence. I clearly was not unruly, so the evidence should point to being drunk, which there simply was no evidence for. And to take an officers word for it, calling me drunk without testing my BAC... well call me a skeptic but i believe there is a conflict of interest in taking the accusers word above the defendants simply based on the fact he is a cop. This sort of thinking can lead to corruption, which is why our system presumes innocent until proven guilty; something i think we have lost sight of in recent years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAVE IT FOR "F" ING COURT! NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR RAMBLING. IF YOU FEEL SO STRONGLY ABOUT IT, TALK TO THE JUDGE!

I think your just a spoiled little brat, who thinks he can do know wrong. However, I don't hate you for that. I think your parents are to blame.

Posted by: Y2K ()
Date: June 04, 2007 12:37PM

I stand corrected. Wrong person.
But I still think your a spoiled little brat!

Date: June 04, 2007 06:30PM

:) Well i think your an idiot because thats the best response you could come up with. Word to your mother.
-Joe

Posted by: Educated Viewer ()
Date: October 29, 2020 04:18PM

Wondering how this worked out.

Posted by: Sex for drugs ()
Date: October 29, 2020 05:50PM

Posted by: TYCFL ()
Date: October 29, 2020 07:39PM

The problem is that the actual charge is 'Appearing to be intoxicated in public.'

You don't have to have had ANY alcohol to be charged with APPEARING to be intoxicated in public.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.