HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Rating FCPS
Posted by: Rating FCPS ()
Date: January 19, 2021 08:52PM

What would you rate FCPS and why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rating FCPS
Posted by: Former Teacher ()
Date: January 19, 2021 10:05PM

I would rate FCPS as a once great public school system in free fall. They have a Superintendent who is more concerned with spending $500,000 per school for name changes to be politically woke and correct to his School Board masters. He is too inept to manage a computer system to ensure proper upgrades and security issues are handled in a superior manner by having an accountability system in place. I can only imagine what the $2,000,000 already spent on name changes could have done to benefit those in need of academic help to succeed in life.

The current policies in place at many schools of fixed lesson plans teach to the lowest common denominator. This approach destroys teacher initiative and creativity to challenge students and create new problem solvers instead of parrots that can repeat what they are told.

FCPS needs a new Superintendent that will return to stressing academic excellence and not pander to politically correct solutions. Thomas Jefferson High School is slowly turning into a glorified magnet school with academic achievement reduced to the luck of a lottery draw for the majority of incoming students. Our jewel will soon become an above average school, because its initial objective is now a watered down solution.

I hope FCPS parents wake up and fire Mr. Braband as well as the School Board that cares more about being politically woke than academically concerned with our kids and their needs. A lot of tax dollars are being wasted and needless conferences and seminars while the real problems are being ignored. The only thing that will change with this Board and Braband will be your tax bill to pay for more political correctness and less academic programs.

Posted by: Allen Anaylizer ()
Date: January 19, 2021 10:52PM

With all the poor grammar I read everyday on ffu, I conclude FCPS have been failing for years.

Posted by: Celebrate___Biden ()
Date: January 20, 2021 01:30PM

The best thing FCPS ever did was give us the day off to celebrate President Biden. The dark times are over, and the time of hope has begun, again.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: January 20, 2021 04:07PM

F-

Posted by: Doordie ()
Date: January 20, 2021 07:24PM

Celebrate___Biden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best thing FCPS ever did was give us the day
> off to celebrate President Biden. The dark times
> are over, and the time of hope has begun, again.

Is that what CNN told you? When CNN tells you what to think and how to feel about their so-called “news”, you know you better believe it. Or else...

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 20, 2021 07:38PM

B-. That isn't so much a reflection of the quality of FCPS, but rather the lack of it in most other school systems.

You had me until the second sentence Former Teacher. Political correctness isn't the cause of FCPS's problems. Political correctness is the way those in charge have chosen to address FCPS's problems that have been going on for some time. It is much easier to come up with the cash to change the name of Lee High School than it is to deal with the problem that large numbers of students who graduate from Lee won't be prepared to even attend NoVaCC. TJHSST is a subject for another post. It needed to change. That FCPS will no doubt fuck up the changes does not alter that fact.

The sad thing is that even with all the challenges facing it, FCPS could be turned around in just a few years if we had the will to do it.

Posted by: TeacherBro ()
Date: January 20, 2021 09:42PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> B-. That isn't so much a reflection of the
> quality of FCPS, but rather the lack of it in most
> other school systems.
>
> You had me until the second sentence Former
> Teacher. Political correctness isn't the cause of
> FCPS's problems. Political correctness is the way
> those in charge have chosen to address FCPS's
> problems that have been going on for some time.
> It is much easier to come up with the cash to
> change the name of Lee High School than it is to
> deal with the problem that large numbers of
> students who graduate from Lee won't be prepared
> to even attend NoVaCC. TJHSST is a subject for
> another post. It needed to change. That FCPS
> will no doubt fuck up the changes does not alter
> that fact.
>
> The sad thing is that even with all the challenges
> facing it, FCPS could be turned around in just a
> few years if we had the will to do it.

FCPS isn't going to turn around by not paying teachers for 2 years.

Posted by: All things considered ()
Date: January 20, 2021 10:19PM

I am in agreeance with Bill. N. B- is a fair grade for fcps. Many if not most who post here have never had the misfortune of being acquainted with school systems outside of the area that are REAL shit shows. I was an army brat who bounced around 8 different school systems K-12. There are many, especially in middle America that are chronically underfunded & have to teach kids who, although may be intelligent, do not have the parental support or the financial resources to excel and focus in school.

For example, I attended a middle school for a year and a half in Chesapeake which had a day care on school grounds so the teen moms could finish classes. MIDDLE SCHOOL. My math teacher sophomore year of High School (in Indiana) had a second and 3rd job as a bartender on various bars on the weekends & had all his teacher supplies donated. Is there not a lot of food at home? Don't expect a free meal at lunch. They don't exist.

fcps isn't ideal, but it infinitely superior to most school systems in the nation. My only gripe is all the money that needs to be spent on the foreign kids who don't know English.

Posted by: Delusional assholes ()
Date: January 20, 2021 10:52PM

It is only a B- after you are high and drunk.

Posted by: had enough ()
Date: January 21, 2021 01:01AM

What do you think of St. Stephens? I can't send my kid to public school any more.

Posted by: definitely ()
Date: January 21, 2021 11:05AM

had enough Wrote:
> What do you think of St. Stephens? I can't send
> my kid to public school any more.

It's a great school, if you live close enough.

Posted by: Gabbo ()
Date: January 23, 2021 10:57AM

FCPS rates 10 on education and 1 on teacher pay. Facts.

Posted by: Gabbo smokes crack ()
Date: January 23, 2021 03:45PM

FCPS rates 0 on education. They did not even teach my kid to write his own name - I had to teach him at home.

Posted by: Love4Gabbo ()
Date: January 23, 2021 05:49PM

Gabbo is right. 10/10

Posted by: "Gabbo" is Scott Braband ()
Date: January 23, 2021 06:06PM

FCPS sucks shit!

Posted by: Gabbo=TeacherBro ()
Date: January 23, 2021 06:40PM

Gabbo is TeacherBro. He's a two horse pony and he hit on both in that one post.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.