HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ignoring Community Service Hours.
Posted by: Reverend Jimmy Wanker ()
Date: May 18, 2007 10:43PM

I'm not talking about community service you volunteered for or for that matter being on probation. For instance lets say you have a court date and a charge for so and so and your charge does not require jail time. Upon pleading guilty you are charged with community service. Lets say you dont do them when the time comes around. What can happen? (But not based on probation or parole)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ignoring Community Service Hours.
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 18, 2007 11:02PM

It's a court order. You can be charged with contempt of court.

At least.

Posted by: Jimmy Wang Yanker ()
Date: May 18, 2007 11:07PM

With the result being jail time I'm assuming? I think it would be rather funny that the charge didn't requite jail time, only to ignore the community service and go to jail.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 18, 2007 11:24PM

what was the charge? What was the actual outcome of the case? Dismissed pending community service? Or a guilty verdict with a sentence of community service?

That would be helpful to know.

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: May 19, 2007 09:33AM

Most of the time the community service is backed by a suspended sentence (usually jail) so not doing the community service would result in having to serve the suspended portion of the sentence entirely.

Another option would be community service as a condition of probation (one year of good behavior and no further violations of law). If you don't do the community service, you could be charged with a probation violation which usually results in a jail sentence.

Finally, RESton Peace was correct when the judge could just play the shenanigans card and order you in contempt of court for failing to follow his/her order, and sentence you accordingly.

I could be much more specific if you give me the charge you were found guilty of, and the sentence (including suspended time).

Posted by: Jimmy ()
Date: May 19, 2007 12:05PM

Guilty Verdict with a sentence of 50 hours community service.

Date: May 19, 2007 12:07PM

I believe the charge was tresspassing but I am not 100% positive.

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: May 19, 2007 12:19PM

You are probably a first time offender right? The 50 hours on a trespassing charge sounds like Fairfax General District's first time offender program in which the judge will defer a finding of guilt on the condition that you successfully complete the community service and/or probation for 6 months or a year. At the end of the 6 months or a year the charge would be dropped. If I were you I would find out. If you fail to meet the terms and conditions of the first time offender program, you will be found guilty in your absence at the end of the term (6 mth or 1 year) and the judge will sentence you accordingly.

Either way, you need to find out. All you have to do is go to the courthouse and ask them to pull a copy of your conviction from your original court date. The terms of the sentence will be written on the back of the warrant. Pay special attention to anything that may have been suspended. ESPECIALLY if it was jail time.

Date: May 19, 2007 01:01PM

Yes, sounds like the deal he gave me. (You are probably a first time offender right? The 50 hours on a trespassing charge sounds like Fairfax General District's first time offender program in which the judge will defer a finding of guilt on the condition that you successfully complete the community service a At the end of the 6 months or a year the charge would be dropped.) He said come back in one year, and the charge will be dropped, upon completing the hours, that is.

Date: June 06, 2007 02:29PM

Schrute Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are probably a first time offender right? The
> 50 hours on a trespassing charge sounds like
> Fairfax General District's first time offender
> program in which the judge will defer a finding of
> guilt on the condition that you successfully
> complete the community service and/or probation
> for 6 months or a year. At the end of the 6
> months or a year the charge would be dropped. If
> I were you I would find out. If you fail to meet
> the terms and conditions of the first time
> offender program, you will be found guilty in your
> absence at the end of the term (6 mth or 1 year)
> and the judge will sentence you accordingly.
>
> Either way, you need to find out. All you have to
> do is go to the courthouse and ask them to pull a
> copy of your conviction from your original court
> date. The terms of the sentence will be written
> on the back of the warrant. Pay special attention
> to anything that may have been suspended.
> ESPECIALLY if it was jail time.

Any idea if it will be a fine? There was no suspended anything. I am not on probation or anything like that. Just plead guilty because there was no jail time, the judge told me I couldnt go to jail for this crime. but since i didnt complete the 50 hours community service, i still cant go to jail right?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.