HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Annandale vs. Woodson High School
Posted by: EliseB ()
Date: May 27, 2010 11:10AM

Please tell me your impressions of both Annandale and Woodson High Schools. I know Woodson is considered one of the best public schools in the country, but all Fairfax Co. schools are good. Is Woodson really that much better than Annandale?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Annandale vs. Woodson High School
Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: May 27, 2010 11:22AM

Fuck no Annandale rules Woodson drools.

Posted by: Burke Curve ()
Date: May 27, 2010 11:35AM

Annandale alum Johnny Walker has given you the answer just by the nature of his post.

Date: May 27, 2010 11:40AM

Burke Curve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Annandale alum Johnny Walker has given you the
> answer just by the nature of his post.

I'll have you know I dropped out.

Posted by: Burke Curve ()
Date: May 27, 2010 11:44AM

Johnny Walker Wrote:
> Burke Curve Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Annandale alum Johnny Walker has given you the
> > answer just by the nature of his post.
>
>
> I'll have you know I dropped out.

Ha! Good one...

Posted by: Thigh Master ()
Date: May 27, 2010 05:38PM

low riders vs. ricers

Posted by: ummmmmmmm ()
Date: May 27, 2010 06:13PM

Woodson fuckin sucks...there's like 19 suicides a year there!

Posted by: wtw74 ()
Date: May 31, 2010 04:41PM

Annandale and Woodson used to be big rivals back in the day. I am sure both schools have their strengths and weaknesses. I know Woodson's GIRLS LAX team is fabulous.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: May 31, 2010 08:55PM

We had a lot of family go to both schools. Annandale always had a bigger gang problem than Woodson, but back in the 80s they were about even. Today I would say Woodson is definitely the better school.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2010 08:56PM by Registered Voter.

Posted by: NovAnon ()
Date: May 31, 2010 10:53PM

Woodson just underwent a massive renovation and is a really lovely school at the moment -- significantly better than annadale. i've worked, in one capacity or another, at both. woodson clearly has the edge in academics, sports, and faculty.

Posted by: Impressed ()
Date: June 01, 2010 01:59PM

NovAnon Wrote:
> Woodson just underwent a massive renovation and is
> a really lovely school at the moment --
> significantly better than annadale. i've worked,
> in one capacity or another, at both. woodson
> clearly has the edge in academics, sports, and
> faculty.

Meaning what? You worked in the cafeteria? Or did you rise all the way to be a substitute teacher?

Posted by: turtles ()
Date: June 02, 2010 12:32PM

Woodson is obviously the better school. They recently got ranked in the top 100 public schools in the country and excel in test scores for the SAT, SOLs, and AP tests. Woodson recently finished renovations of the entire school as well. Annandale has a known gang problem as Woodson does not. Sports teams are better too.

Posted by: Helmet959 ()
Date: June 05, 2010 02:25PM

But Annandale has a better football tradition! :-) The last school inside the beltway to win the AAA state football title...

Okay, in serious, Woodson probably is a better school. But both have IB programs. If your kids are smart, make sure they take mostly IB classes. Annandale has more gangs true, but good parenting can keep your kids out of trouble, no matter where they go to school. The basic level classes at Annandale are going to be tailored downward (easier than at Woodson) to help people who just learned English be able to pass them.

But if they come out of Annandale High with decent grades, maybe some IB here and there) and can get into college, I think they enter the world with a more cultured viewpoint. And can adapt better to any situation professionally in which they find themselves in the the future. This was my experience at JEB Stuart High School in Falls Church (near Annandale), which is another school that is often described here as being ghetto and gang riddled. I didn't really have a problem being the only white kid in my Government 12 class. I honestly feel I am a better/more tolerant person from my experiences. Most of my good buddies from Stuart are in law school, or working on their masters, like I am. So going to Fairfax's most "ghetto" school didn't really inhibit my growth as a person, nor most of my friends. (who by the way, weren't all white).

The choice is yours, but it's up to you as a parent to make sure your children get ready for the future. And this is something your kids can accomplish at any Fairfax school.

Posted by: FriendlyAdvisor ()
Date: June 05, 2010 06:00PM

Helmet959 Wrote:
> But Annandale has a better football tradition! :-)
> The last school inside the beltway to win the AAA
> state football title...
>
> Okay, in serious, Woodson probably is a better
> school. But both have IB programs. If your kids
> are smart, make sure they take mostly IB classes.
> Annandale has more gangs true, but good parenting
> can keep your kids out of trouble, no matter where
> they go to school. The basic level classes at
> Annandale are going to be tailored downward
> (easier than at Woodson) to help people who just
> learned English be able to pass them.
>
> But if they come out of Annandale High with decent
> grades, maybe some IB here and there) and can get
> into college, I think they enter the world with a
> more cultured viewpoint. And can adapt better to
> any situation professionally in which they find
> themselves in the the future. This was my
> experience at JEB Stuart High School in Falls
> Church (near Annandale), which is another school
> that is often described here as being ghetto and
> gang riddled. I didn't really have a problem being
> the only white kid in my Government 12 class. I
> honestly feel I am a better/more tolerant person
> from my experiences. Most of my good buddies from
> Stuart are in law school, or working on their
> masters, like I am. So going to Fairfax's most
> "ghetto" school didn't really inhibit my growth
> as a person, nor most of my friends. (who by the
> way, weren't all white).
>
> The choice is yours, but it's up to you as a
> parent to make sure your children get ready for
> the future. And this is something your kids can
> accomplish at any Fairfax school.

This is too serious a response; do you think you're posting on the old school redistricing thread where people spilled their guts out or something? Anyway, Woodson doesn't have an IB program. They tried one, and Woodson parents had AP courses reinstated.

PS - No one really thinks JEB Stuart is the most "ghetto" school in Fairfax. Too many well-to-do kids from Lake Barcroft/Sleepy Hollow area go there.

Posted by: I am Spunky ()
Date: June 06, 2010 01:43AM

I bought with the Woodson district in mind. Request eductional data per your FIOA rights and make your own decision. That's what I did, do your own homework and avoid the emotional bias.

Posted by: Helmet959 ()
Date: June 06, 2010 01:59PM

AP or IB, both interchangeable IMO, someone called Annandale shit... so I defended. sorry to get so emotional, haha

i was just expanding upon the OP EliseB, that while Woodson might be considered one of the best in the country, Annandale is still part of FCPS. it really can be a good school, if you make the most of it.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: June 07, 2010 05:13AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> We had a lot of family go to both schools.
> Annandale always had a bigger gang problem than
> Woodson, but back in the 80s they were about even.

When did these gang problems start?
There were no gangs in Annandale in 1979, for example.

Posted by: BobDerBaumeister ()
Date: June 07, 2010 08:08AM

If you want your kid to have some wicked ESL skills, send him to Annandale. Don't even get me started on Poe Vs. Frost.

Annandale start going downhill fast in the mid 80s, and has always suffered a high asshole density. Before that, it was a heavily "military brat" school, which later moved to West Springfield, Robinson, etc.

Annandale and Woodson don't even belong in the same school district.

Posted by: beenthere ()
Date: June 07, 2010 09:04AM

If you take a closer look, Annandale has not won a state title in anything since the 1990's nor are they going to with their A-hole Principal and Athletic Director and his rigid anal staff. They think kicking kids off the athletic teams for minor infractions makes them look so tough and so righteous. I would never let my kid play on an AHS athletic team again as long as that mind set is in place. Kids are going to screw up, let them sit out a few games instead of banning them for the season like every other HS in the county does, then maybe they may be able to produce a winning team - on and off the field.

Posted by: Mrs. K ()
Date: June 07, 2010 11:55PM

If you are considering Woodson HS for your special ed student, please message me privately. I have important information that you should know before school starts in the fall.

Mrs. K

Posted by: Pedro Rhee ()
Date: June 15, 2010 09:47PM

Hey

Woodson is pretty ethnically diverse, if you think that 30% of the population being Korean is diverse. Anyway Annandale started going downhill when the county merged Annandale and Jefferson to make way for the nerds Jefferson Tech, about 22 Years ago. Woodson is primarily made up of kids from single family homes (only a few apartment complexes are within the district) and the population has been rebounding for the past few years as the old white childless white folk move out for the Korean-San and their kiddies. Seriously, the school population went under 2000 in 1987-88 and did go over until a few years back. Bonus...hardly any coloured folks!

Posted by: Emily W ()
Date: October 28, 2010 08:35PM

Woodson, totally. Woodson is awesome.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: October 29, 2010 08:55AM

Both Woodson and Annandale have good programs, good teachers and good kids. Both Woodson and Annandale have drugs, gangs and marginal student groups. IMO neither school is in any danger of being one of the top three schools in Fairfax County. At the moment Woodson is marginally better than Annandale. This may be an opportunity rather than a problem. A kid who is likely to be in the top 15% at Woodson might make the top 10% at Annandale, and a kid that might be a top second stringer at Woodson might be a starter at Annandale.

Over the next few years Woodson is likely to hold is own, and perhaps even improve. Annandale's future is more cloudy. Annandale is overcrowded. How the county deals with that problem will severely affect Annandale's future. If the county (both the school board and the board of supervisors) is unwilling to make some hard political and financial choices Annandale could end up going the way of Mount Vernon. Since there is no current member of either the school board or he board of supervisors residing in the AHS school district, I am not optimistic.

Posted by: Numbers2 ()
Date: October 29, 2010 10:56AM

What sort of comparison are you looking for? Lots of data are available on the net. How about percent of 12th Grade Test Takers Scoring Above the National Average on the SATs (School Year 2009-10)?
Category / Annandale / Woodson
Asian / 48 / 82
Black / 34 / 59
Hispanic / 28 / 74
White / 69 / 90
Other / 53 / 88
Economically Disadvantaged / 29 / 55
Limited English Proficient / 26 / 39
Students with Disabilities / 8 / 47
Total Population / 53 / 86

Posted by: Some Guy ()
Date: October 31, 2010 06:45PM

Preface: I went to Woodson.

Woodson is generally considered the better school by US News and World Report. Woodson also draws from wealthier districts in general - the implications of which are better than those of the alternative. I thought that most of my teachers were competent, although many tried too hard to be friendly with the students. Luckily, the teachers who are competent, such as Mr. Lundy (World Civ, an honors course), Ms. Shelton (AP Calculus BC) and Mrs. Hall (Band), all teach important, enriching courses, while the lower caliber teachers are given boring classes and crappy students. Assuming your children are within the top 3 quartiles of the grade distribution and are taking challenging classes, they'll be given good teachers. I can't really speak for the crappy students, but I'm sure there teachers are fine too.

Posted by: anon ()
Date: February 10, 2011 10:41PM

Ya know, Annandale hasn't had a gang problem since the new principal came in. Dunno what your talking about.

Posted by: Eastcounty ()
Date: February 10, 2011 11:47PM

beenthere Wrote:
> They
> think kicking kids off the athletic teams for
> minor infractions makes them look so tough and so
> righteous. I would never let my kid play on an AHS
> athletic team again as long as that mind set is in
> place.

Most likely busted for drinking.

Posted by: Yo ()
Date: February 12, 2011 10:39PM

Annandale has a gang problem? Who are these gangs, ching chong gangs? little slanty eye fucks probably go around beating anyone up who didn't do their math homework. Fuck these koreans, those fuckers are always acting like niggers but when a nigger approaches them, they run and hide like a cat scurrying for cover in a Chinese restaurant.

ching chong wong fong...

Posted by: CHING CHONG ()
Date: February 13, 2011 02:48AM

Woodson does have a knee how problem but not nearly as bad as Annandale. Jesus so many of those people. Woodson is would kick the shit out of Annadale punks.

Posted by: Chris Tucker ()
Date: February 13, 2011 03:46AM

sorry Jackie Chan but i didnt understand a fuckin word they came outta your mouth err..fingers!!

Posted by: W.T WOODSON KILLS STUDENTS ()
Date: February 13, 2011 03:47AM

sOooOoOooOoOooOoOooOoOooOoOooOoOooOoOooOoOooOo many kids that have gone to Woodson have killed themselves, that school sucks balls and FCPS in general kill kids!

Posted by: SAC ()
Date: April 29, 2011 02:22PM

Okay really, who are these people talking about how great Woodson? I went there. For those of you saying Woodson is great, if your going off rankings,scores and what news and internet tells you. Wow you're completely off. Who ever said that kids have killed themselves, he's not kidding. It's true, there has been a few cases in the past with kids who did kill themselves. I hated Woodson. I'm a good student, I work hard, do all my work The teachers are not good,someone said they have great teachers, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I can not even count how many bad teacher I had. I taught myself, geometry, I had English teachers who treated us like we were in kindergarden . I had a few good ones, for the most part I could've done a better job teacher the class out of a text book. I'm not an angry stupid student who hated my teachers. I'm in college always get good grade, work hard and I know when a majority of my teachers are complete idiots. Not to mention when my mother met with the principle to talk about how much work we got and how bad some of my teachers were he responded that we are competing with Japan.I got so depressed being at Woodson that my mother had to pull me out, and I'm not crazy. The funny thing is after i got pulled out I kept meeting people who left Woodson too, because it sucks. No one who goes there likes Woodson. It's run poorly,the teachers suck the academics suck, the gym classes are a joke and everyone who was fat is fatter at the end of the year. And most of the food is gross goopy stuff, and they promote buying 5 cookies at a time.

Date: April 29, 2011 02:27PM

Your grammar and spelling are doing you no favors in making your point.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 29, 2011 07:19PM

SAC Wrote:
> Okay really, who are these people talking about
> how great Woodson? I went there. For those of you
> saying Woodson is great, if your going off
> rankings,scores and what news and internet tells
> you. Wow you're completely off. Who ever said that
> kids have killed themselves, he's not kidding.
> It's true, there has been a few cases in the past
> with kids who did kill themselves. I hated
> Woodson. I'm a good student, I work hard, do all
> my work The teachers are not good,someone said
> they have great teachers, that is the stupidest
> thing I've ever heard. I can not even count how
> many bad teacher I had. I taught myself, geometry,
> I had English teachers who treated us like we were
> in kindergarden . I had a few good ones, for the
> most part I could've done a better job teacher the
> class out of a text book. I'm not an angry stupid
> student who hated my teachers. I'm in college
> always get good grade, work hard and I know when a
> majority of my teachers are complete idiots. Not
> to mention when my mother met with the principle
> to talk about how much work we got and how bad
> some of my teachers were he responded that we are
> competing with Japan.I got so depressed being at
> Woodson that my mother had to pull me out, and I'm
> not crazy. The funny thing is after i got pulled
> out I kept meeting people who left Woodson too,
> because it sucks. No one who goes there likes
> Woodson. It's run poorly,the teachers suck the
> academics suck, the gym classes are a joke and
> everyone who was fat is fatter at the end of the
> year. And most of the food is gross goopy stuff,
> and they promote buying 5 cookies at a time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROFLMAO!!

sounds like someone couldnt cut the mustard

Anywho, yeah Woodson is the "better" school in the same way that Lexus is better than Acura.............the "idea" of one of the schools being "better" is ENTIRELY in yr own head. BOTH schools have gang issues, same as every school in this country. Aint no school shootings @ Annandale or Woodson. Aint anybody more pregnant at either school. And both of them are tops in the Nation when it comes to academics.

You wanna nitpick over little things, go right ahead. But both schools have their issues. Only whiners and losers are gonna waste time comparing the two............

Posted by: no comparison ()
Date: May 01, 2011 04:34AM

There is no comparison between these schools that can be created without realizing that they are crap schools with completely different crap kids.

To be fair woodson when I went there was sweet valley high , where you could count the minority students on one hand. seriously it was only whites asians, and the scattered children of the servant class of fairfax. Therefore maybe only 10 black kids and 50 latins for the whole school. Woodson made up for its lack of diversity by having its RETARD SECTION. aka special ed, ED> LD , be warned if you have a kid, they will be exposed to the freaks.

annandale, more of the servant classes, and fewer of the elite fairfax kids. seriously you can tell by the gangs and the parking lots, annandale has money mixing with dirt poor people, and honestly its been working pretty well at churning out more kmart employees.

now both schools suck, but more importantly if you really want a fair comparison, think about the kids and the sections of fairfax county that feed these schools.

the only comparison that i think is truly fair in who is better or worse that you might find funny because its true. woodson has a very low hard drug problem, woodson was mostly prescriptions and weed/shroom the flavors prefered by the ED kids. and annandale high , well it only took me 2 min to find someone holding crank and then another minute to find his cuz who could get me fucked up on E but try to find weed and its all sticks and stems in tiny gram bags( the staple of MS13)

now if you perfer your kids stealing your ambien to trip out during class, or getting involved with the local gang and learning proper business techniques of delegation of tasks and price inflation of mexican dirtweed. by all means i hope you can now make a more informed decision on your choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 01, 2011 09:48AM

"no comparison" up there sends his kid to private school..............
Attachments:
young klan girl_540.jpg

Posted by: WTWKID ()
Date: January 15, 2012 05:23PM

Woodson sucks. The administrators dont do ANYTHING. "Oh we dont allow bullying etc." YEAH OKAY. Thats why everyone who goes there is getting bullied in one way shape or form. I personally know people who have talked to the school about their bullying issues and what does woodson do. NOTHING. They don't want to make things a bid deal. They want everyone to believe that woodson is one big happy family. Its all about their "rep"

Posted by: FCPS spin machine ()
Date: January 15, 2012 06:49PM

They are both in Fairfax County so they must be great, right? Ask Jack Dale and he will tell you people move here from other galaxies to come to these unbelievably superior schools. It has nothing whatsoever with the job market.. no it couldnt be that....

Posted by: badabingbong ()
Date: January 15, 2012 07:31PM

Yo Wrote:
> Annandale has a gang problem? Who are these gangs,
> ching chong gangs? little slanty eye fucks
> probably go around beating anyone up who didn't do
> their math homework. Fuck these koreans, those
> fuckers are always acting like niggers but when a
> nigger approaches them, they run and hide like a
> cat scurrying for cover in a Chinese restaurant.
>
> ching chong wong fong...

Looks like someone got picked on by the ching chong Koreans. You need to let go of the grudge. Have you ever tried working out or learning how to defend yourself? Sorry your such a pussy....

Posted by: how did we get here ()
Date: January 15, 2012 08:51PM

I generally made it a rule not to mess with Koreans back in the day/age when fighting was a possibility.

I just saw them kick the shit out of "bad-ass" white kids too often.

Ironically, there was this non Korean who was a karate guy, who picked a fight with a "non-karate" Korean who was much smaller. The Korean guy kicked the living shit out of the karate kid. Pretty dam funny.

Koreans were mighty mites, pretty mean when they needed to be be, and pretty tough.

I know that is not how this thread started, but somehow it got here.

Posted by: Winter ()
Date: October 04, 2012 11:05PM

This is my first year at woodson coming from Jeb Stuart (which i hear is similar to Annandale) and while i loved my 2 years at Stuart, after one month i think i can soundly say i like Woodson better. Much safer neighborhood and area, in school it seems far more professional without being forced by the teachers or at an unreasonable level (if that makes any sense). The teachers here are fantastic, classes are far more rigorous but its made up for in teachers that are extremely helpful while still trying to push you to succeed. Back at stuart i dreaded school with a passion, not socially, but because most of the teachers were not very helpful, sports programs and other EC stuff seemed mediocre at best, and the whole energy of the school seemed pretty lame to be honest. here at WTW the teachers are great, im in twice as many clubs as i was at stuart already, and while my sports (lacrosse,Hockey) haavent really started yet, just talking with coaches and players im super excited. However,i would say one downside to Woodson that i have definitely noticed is that is far less diverse than Stuart was.

Posted by: Independent Observer ()
Date: October 05, 2012 02:39PM

It's not complicated. If your kid is a gangbanger or aspiring drug dealer, Annandale is a much better place. If you want your kid to go to college, send them to Woodson.

Posted by: Wuck Foodson ()
Date: October 05, 2012 04:16PM

Winter Wrote:
> This is my first year at woodson coming from Jeb
> Stuart (which i hear is similar to Annandale) and
> while i loved my 2 years at Stuart, after one
> month i think i can soundly say i like Woodson
> better. Much safer neighborhood and area, in
> school it seems far more professional without
> being forced by the teachers or at an unreasonable
> level (if that makes any sense). The teachers here
> are fantastic, classes are far more rigorous but
> its made up for in teachers that are extremely
> helpful while still trying to push you to succeed.
> Back at stuart i dreaded school with a passion,
> not socially, but because most of the teachers
> were not very helpful, sports programs and other
> EC stuff seemed mediocre at best, and the whole
> energy of the school seemed pretty lame to be
> honest. here at WTW the teachers are great, im in
> twice as many clubs as i was at stuart already,
> and while my sports (lacrosse,Hockey) haavent
> really started yet, just talking with coaches and
> players im super excited. However,i would say one
> downside to Woodson that i have definitely noticed
> is that is far less diverse than Stuart was.

You loved your two years at Stuart, but you also "dreaded it with a passion" and it was "lame"?

Dude, you must be on some of that stuff that gets so many Woodson students kicked out of school.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: October 06, 2012 07:19AM

Independent Observer Wrote:
> It's not complicated. If your kid is a gangbanger
> or aspiring drug dealer, Annandale is a much
> better place. If you want your kid to go to
> college, send them to Woodson.

First part is a load of crap. Woodson has these too. Second part is probably more accurate, at least if you mean V Tech, W&M or UVa.

Posted by: mgk ()
Date: October 07, 2012 01:37AM

Enough of the mindless bickering,real question is which school has the hottest chicks?

Posted by: GOA TOMS ()
Date: May 06, 2014 08:59AM

EliseB Wrote:
> Please tell me your impressions of both Annandale
> and Woodson High Schools. I know Woodson is
> considered one of the best public schools in the
> country, but all Fairfax Co. schools are good. Is
> Woodson really that much better than Annandale?

Annandale CLASS OF 2002

Posted by: whs ()
Date: May 06, 2014 12:28PM

wwoodson

Posted by: Anoncratim ()
Date: April 21, 2018 10:27AM

For someone that goes to woodson, I'd say that you should just go to Annandale if you're a wuss.

Posted by: Real Ilegals Go To Annandale ()
Date: April 21, 2018 10:40AM

Illegal loving wannabees , well off young liberals go to Woodson, but don't ask them to bring a real illegal home . They have been trained by their pampered yuppie liberal federal employee slow walking paperwork parents to virtual signal and like on FB but that's it

Lyndon Johnson summed it up long ago

Woodson is chicken salad, Annandale is chicken shit

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.