HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Andy's Pizza/Annandale- who remembers?
Posted by: BobDerBaumeister ()
Date: May 24, 2010 03:53PM

This place used to be near the intersection of Ravensworth and 236, right across from the tailors. Penguin Feather Records was a few doors down.

They had EPIC sandwiches and pizza but were always getting shut down for health code violations. I believe it was a Lebanese family who owned it. The pizza was rectangular, thin crust, similar to what you see at Ledo's now.

Anyone know when it shut down? I'm guessing around 1990.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Andy's Pizza/Annandale- who remembers?
Posted by: Superman 4 ()
Date: May 24, 2010 04:59PM

mmmm, always getting shut down for health violations...

Wish it were still around...

Posted by: bradlick 7-11 gang ()
Date: May 25, 2010 11:51PM

Sounds familiar 70?'s 80?'s. Hmm..?? Remember Penquin Feather Records for sure. Shut down for selling drug paraphernalia.

Posted by: mm ()
Date: May 26, 2010 12:18AM

Andys pizza is the best pizza I have ever had, no bs. Similar to ledos pizza but 5 x as good. Classic old school pizza spot with an old tv playing in the corner. They had blueprints up at one point for a whole Andys family park lol. I miss that place.

On a side note, anyone ever go in that asian run car stereo spot that used to be next door to andys? They had a fish tank that was about a foot long with a fish in it that was about 9 inches. the damn thing was all mashed up front and back, and was always facing the same direction.

Posted by: BobDerBaumeister ()
Date: May 26, 2010 03:38PM

There was another place at Bradlick Shopping Center called Catzano's (sp?). They also had superb rectangular pizza.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: May 26, 2010 04:06PM

I think they used to advertise in the Annandale HS yearbook every year. Or maybe it was a A-Blast. Or both. Whatever. I don't think I ever actually ate the food though. Maybe once or something.

I really only remember square pizza (excluding Sicilian-style) from Little Caesars. Ledos later on, but when I was a kid it was pretty much just LC.

Posted by: Proust ()
Date: May 26, 2010 04:13PM

Glad I didn't know about the health code stuff at the time, but Andy's pizza and subs were great and the family that ran the restaurant was really nice.

Come back, Andy. We'll buy you a mouse trap; you can take care of the rest.

Posted by: Burke Curve ()
Date: May 27, 2010 11:42AM

There was a Burger Chef a few doors down. I don't think Burger Chef exists any more as a chain.

Posted by: RoadDog ()
Date: May 27, 2010 01:52PM

Remember the Camel Rider sandwich???

Posted by: Annandale ()
Date: May 27, 2010 06:22PM

Many years ago I had to work Thanksgiving Day. Andys was the only place I could find open. I went for lunch and was the only customer, Andy made me lunch and sat down and and we talked, A nice guy, there are not many family businesses like that anymore,

Posted by: another disgusting creep ()
Date: May 27, 2010 06:34PM

I remember Andys. The pizza was the best. There was a grumpy old guy working there with a hook hand who used to sell bootleg xxx VHS out the backdoor. Oh the memories.

Posted by: Huntington ()
Date: May 27, 2010 09:20PM

LOVED Andy's pizza, my high school boyfriend used to take me there. It burned down and never re-opened, though another business went in, sometime in the mid to late nineties.

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: May 28, 2010 08:30AM

Members of the Mansy family owned several pizzarias in Northern Virginia.

Billy Mansy owned Bazzano Pizza in the Ravensworth Shopping Center. I think he died of a heart attack.

His uncle/cousin George Chartonius owned Mr. Munchee in Alexandria on Kenmore Avenue.

Another Mansy owned a place on Duke Street and one near Telegraph Road.

Mike Mansy was a member of the family. He was one of the best runners in the history of prep sports in this area. I heard he is now a cop.

BobDerBaumeister Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This place used to be near the intersection of
> Ravensworth and 236, right across from the
> tailors. Penguin Feather Records was a few doors
> down.
>
> They had EPIC sandwiches and pizza but were always
> getting shut down for health code violations. I
> believe it was a Lebanese family who owned it.
> The pizza was rectangular, thin crust, similar to
> what you see at Ledo's now.
>
> Anyone know when it shut down? I'm guessing
> around 1990.

Posted by: wtw74 ()
Date: May 31, 2010 04:34PM

My family always went to Andy's on Friday night after mom left her job with FCPS and dad left his job with the federal government. We always got the Combo...pizza crust was great!

Posted by: Brandon ()
Date: May 31, 2010 07:35PM

I think its a Korean catering place now, right by the Jerry's correct? I think it lasted until the late 90's. I remember a sign they had of a baby boy and girl both looking into their diapers. It said taste the difference which was kinda sick if you think about it.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: May 31, 2010 08:52PM

The Jerry's is where the old Burger Chef was I believe. Then it was an Arthur Treachers for a while before becoming the Jerry's. Andy's was there for quite a while - I remember they had plans to build a family fun center with Andy's pizza down on the lot next to what used to be Bob's Big Boy's.

Andy sold the place to one of the guys that used to work for him, and for a while longer it went pretty well - the business fell off a bit, but the guy running it still made the pizza the way Andy had. He expanded the delivery side of the business and things seemed to be turning around. Then they had a fire - probably about 15 years ago now and that was the end of it. The new owner had no insurance. It was too bad, they were definitely an iconic pizza place for many years. And their pizza was GOOD. Hard to find anything like it around here today.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: say ()
Date: May 31, 2010 10:02PM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
> Members of the Mansy family owned several
> pizzarias in Northern Virginia.
>
> Billy Mansy owned Bazzano Pizza in the Ravensworth
> Shopping Center. I think he died of a heart
> attack.
>
> His uncle/cousin George Chartonius owned Mr.
> Munchee in Alexandria on Kenmore Avenue.
>
> Another Mansy owned a place on Duke Street and one
> near Telegraph Road.

My recollections of pizza in Annandale:

ca. 1960, Bill's Pizza on Annandale Rd a block off of 236. A vacuum cleaner place is there now. Pizza was not all that common in the 'burbs in those days. Nobody told Bill a "pizza place" should have an Italian sounding name. Bill was caucasian, of Western European extraction.

Bill later moved to the small strip across from the fire house on Columbia Pike and at some point sold the place to the guy (and his wife) that later turned up Pizza Bazzano. When he went to Bazzano, the place became Big Bite Pizza (or something like that). Incidentally, the freestanding building next door where Dominos is now once housed Carroll's Drive-In, an even more obscure and longer gone burger joint than Burger Chef.

I think Andy's lasted until the early 00's. That was good pizza, I miss that layer of red grease floating around on top of it!

Then there was Shakey's in the Old Acme grocery store on 236. Was that before or after Spaghetti Mill?

Date: June 01, 2010 08:54AM

I remember Shakey's and its neighboring Horn and Horn being of low quality. Shakey's is now McGills (same basic restaurant) and looks like its only frequented by tour bus groups, aka people who have no say in where they eat.

Posted by: Helmet959 ()
Date: June 05, 2010 01:12PM

first post, what's up FFX UNDERGROUND?

27 year old, male, haha grew up in Falls Church near 7 corners off sleepy hollow rd.

yes I remember Andy's! it was the best pizza in annandale, my family would drive from 7 corners to get their pizza, i was sad when it closed for good in the late 90's

the only pizza place we liked more was some place that started with a "D" near the toys'r'us at Baileys crossroads, it's now a gyro place... the pizza restaurant closed in the early 90's or late 80's, my older brother remembers it better than i do, after it closed we started going to andy's more often

Posted by: food ()
Date: June 05, 2010 06:59PM

I loved that place We used to bike up to Andys a\in the 1980's also loved Starvin Marvins in linconia

Posted by: help me ()
Date: June 05, 2010 09:04PM

food Wrote:
> I loved that place We used to bike up to Andys
> a\in the 1980's also loved Starvin Marvins in
> linconia

Starvin Marvins had the best subs. I also remember Andys back when they have the curfew on businesses during the energy/gas shortage of the 70s. Places were only allowed to stay open so many hours a day. For some reason Andys was open alot more than others. The place was packed and Jimmy Carter was not a popular guy.

Posted by: YOOHOO ()
Date: June 12, 2010 10:02PM

Love this thread, but Andy's was NEVER shut down for health code vio's. It never closed once for ANY reason. Andy always had the place open....even in the worst of blizzards. He treated his customers like family and he loved chatting it up with customers. His family was really great too. 3 daughters and one son. He sold the place and retired in mid-90s and then it burned down with the new owners. I am kind of thankful bc it was never the same without seeing Andy and his family in there. sadly, Mr. Andy died in 2006....his wife had died in 2004 and I heard he had taken care of her for a long while, so her death was hard on him. He was always winning awards for charitable givings to the community, schools, etc. Such a great man. I owned a business in Annandale in the 70s when I first met him. Stayed in touch and have never met a better man or been to a better family joint since, He had the best steak and cheese sub and the camel rider sandwich was fantastic. I think his children are still on the area. I wonder if they have his recipes?! Does anyone have any Andy's tshirts or ballcaps? I still have a tshirt. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

Date: June 12, 2010 10:14PM

I used to go to Marvins with my dad back when I was a teenager. I doubt I'll ever find a place as good as that short of going to NY/NJ. Anybody remember the little Pac Man arcade game he had there, looked like a little coffee table. Never understood how the place went out of business, whenever I was there there were always a few people sitting down to eat and many more getting food to go.

Posted by: JDouble09 ()
Date: June 25, 2010 01:03PM

I remember that place too in 92

Posted by: DCKid ()
Date: July 17, 2010 11:20PM

It was the Kuley Family who owned Andy's Pizza! They were from Iraq and very,very close friends to all the Mansy's and Chartouni family's who are Lebanese. Billy Mansy (Pizza Bazzano) passed 10 yrs ago at the age of 49. George Chartouni (Munchees Pizza Alexandria) passed 24 yrs ago. George Mansy (Generous George's Alexandria) is now closed down due to George having a heart attact and is now living in North Carolina. Andy and his family was one of best people ever to grace this area. His food was the best and the shop was alway's clean. As for some "Health Inspectors" in Fairfax County, let's just say they were a bit "too much" in their demands and most unreasonable when you don't throw a sandwich their way. I too miss Andy's food. I miss Andy and his beautiful wife. They have passed, howerver his children are still in the area.

Posted by: fred flintstone ()
Date: July 17, 2010 11:37PM

Helmet959 Wrote:
> the only pizza place we liked more was some place
> that started with a "D" near the toys'r'us at
> Baileys crossroads, it's now a gyro place...

That would be Dino's

Posted by: Bam Bam ()
Date: July 18, 2010 10:05PM

Dino's was real good, too.

If Annandale still had Andy's, Fritzbe's, the Jack-in-the-Box, the deli near the old People's Drug Store, and the Penguin Feather, what a wonderful world it would be.

Posted by: Dbl Bong ()
Date: July 18, 2010 11:28PM

Pengiun Feather for the great bongs then head over to Andy's for the steak and cheese with fired onions and peppers. Andy would laugh at us because we would have the grease running down our arms and we just smiled away. We used to each order the rectangle pizza for like 4 bucks. I don't know of any other place like it around. The people there were always good to us. Crushed ice with orange soda yum!

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: July 19, 2010 12:41PM

What ever happened to Mike Mansy? I heard he became a cop.

He had an older sister Yvonne, alsoknown as Bessie. She married a nice guy named Jeff. I remember that Bessie had a friend Marian Gregory who was really hot.

Mike and Bessie had a brother Phil whose smoothness with the ladies was without peer. He used to really get them.

Re: Andy's Pizza/Annandale- who remembers? new
Posted by: DCKid ()
Date: July 17, 2010 11:20PM

It was the Kuley Family who owned Andy's Pizza! They were from Iraq and very,very close friends to all the Mansy's and Chartouni family's who are Lebanese. Billy Mansy (Pizza Bazzano) passed 10 yrs ago at the age of 49. George Chartouni (Munchees Pizza Alexandria) passed 24 yrs ago. George Mansy (Generous George's Alexandria) is now closed down due to George having a heart attact and is now living in North Carolina. Andy and his family was one of best people ever to grace this area. His food was the best and the shop was alway's clean. As for some "Health Inspectors" in Fairfax County, let's just say they were a bit "too much" in their demands and most unreasonable when you don't throw a sandwich their way. I too miss Andy's food. I miss Andy and his beautiful wife. They have passed, howerver his children are still in the area.

Posted by: Shoo ()
Date: July 19, 2010 08:50PM

Didn't know Generous Georges had shut down, been a while since I've been there, good place and atmosphere.

Used to live near Starvin Marvins and knew a few people that worked there, at that time it was the place to go for good food and good weed/coke, :)

Posted by: Wayback Machine ()
Date: July 19, 2010 10:13PM

There is a Generous George's "franchise" sitting out in Herndon/Dulles off of Sunrise Valley drive (or possibly there is a name change there) west of Centreville Road near the Dulles Toll/Access Road. Pizza is pretty close to the original at times, the decor is what you would expect at the street level of a suburban office building. It is in an office/condo complex that seems to have few commercial tenants and not many more residential tenants. I have only been there fairly late in the evening to pick up a carryout pizza, but it seems pretty deserted. Even at that, I was told that they have plans to open up several more locations once their bank loosens the reins a little on their business line of credit.

I did not know that George had gotten away completely from the business. I used to go to the Alexandria location a lot back in the mid to late 80's.

I don't remember Andy's (I was in Falls Church, and we had our own pizza dives), but Fritzbe's and Jack in the Box are missed very much.

Posted by: Susie noble ()
Date: October 12, 2010 08:24PM

I knew the family and they were not lebanese.

Posted by: Susie Noble ()
Date: October 12, 2010 08:27PM

Andy and his wife passed away years ago.

Posted by: dirtystarfish ()
Date: October 12, 2010 08:40PM

Was erols a street over from pizza bazonos

Date: October 12, 2010 09:14PM

dirtystarfish Wrote:
> Was erols a street over from pizza bazonos

There was an Erol's in the same shopping center. Next to the Post Office.

Posted by: steve bunkeydick henderson ()
Date: December 06, 2010 04:22AM

Andy's was killer, before Penguin Feather it was called Rainbow tree & I still miss my Tokemaster.

Posted by: '79 ()
Date: December 07, 2010 04:04PM

I don't know about burning down. There's a Korean Catering place where Andy's was. As an out-of-towner (WTW), I never got to Andy's but gave plenty of business to the 2nd floor at Penguin Feather.

Posted by: Alexandria Guy ()
Date: December 08, 2010 02:34PM

Mike Mansy lives in Johnson City Tennesse now. The original Generous Georges closed 2 years ago . George had a severe stroke while in Colorado and has never been functional since the incident. Mike was one of the best distance runners from Northern Va and ran for East Tennessee University-his son Micheal Ross is now running for North Carolina State . At one point there were 4 Generous Georges sites but right now there is only one in the Herndon area . Contrary to rumors Mike has never been a police officer

Posted by: Wakefield '70 ()
Date: December 13, 2010 02:38PM

Back in the early 70's there were several other venues that served up that delicioius square pizza - one in Culmore and Pike Pizza (which is still there but I hear doesn't sell pizza!! LOL!) just to name a couple.

You can still find one though - Pepi's Pizza Box on Pickett St. in Alexandria. Don't let the crowd discourage you - it is a rather interesting bar - but the pizza is still thin, square and crisp... Tastes pretty much like I remember the three above (and there isn't a whole lot about the '70s that I remember with any clarity... LOL!)

And oh yes, Mario's is still there on Wilson, with believe it or not some familiar faces - but that recipe HAS changed over the years.

Posted by: BigK ()
Date: December 13, 2010 03:14PM

The Shakeys all you could eat buffet was awesome. The had the best fried chicken and all the best pizza. I was a regular and nothing like it exists today.

Date: December 13, 2010 07:27PM

Wakefield '70 Wrote:
> Back in the early 70's there were several other
> venues that served up that delicioius square pizza
> - one in Culmore and Pike Pizza (which is still
> there but I hear doesn't sell pizza!! LOL!) just
> to name a couple.
>
> You can still find one though - Pepi's Pizza Box
> on Pickett St. in Alexandria. Don't let the crowd
> discourage you - it is a rather interesting bar -
> but the pizza is still thin, square and crisp...
> Tastes pretty much like I remember the three above
> (and there isn't a whole lot about the '70s that I
> remember with any clarity... LOL!)
>
> And oh yes, Mario's is still there on Wilson, with
> believe it or not some familiar faces - but that
> recipe HAS changed over the years.\

How about The Broiler on Columbia Pike...didn't they sell that great, greasy thin square pizza?

Posted by: BigK ()
Date: December 13, 2010 08:24PM

The Broiler was a great greasy spoon dive. I went often. Another place was "the original" Five Guys in the same area. Long before they went franchise.

Posted by: ISO tomato sauce/cheese on Saltines ()
Date: December 13, 2010 10:39PM

say Wrote:
> Wakefield '70 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Back in the early 70's there were several other
> > venues that served up that delicioius square
> pizza
> > - one in Culmore and Pike Pizza (which is still
> > there but I hear doesn't sell pizza!! LOL!)
> just
> > to name a couple.
> >
> > You can still find one though - Pepi's Pizza
> Box
> > on Pickett St. in Alexandria. Don't let the
> crowd
> > discourage you - it is a rather interesting bar
> -
> > but the pizza is still thin, square and crisp...
>
> > Tastes pretty much like I remember the three
> above
> > (and there isn't a whole lot about the '70s that
> I
> > remember with any clarity... LOL!)
> >
> > And oh yes, Mario's is still there on Wilson,
> with
> > believe it or not some familiar faces - but
> that
> > recipe HAS changed over the years.\
>
>
> How about The Broiler on Columbia Pike...didn't
> they sell that great, greasy thin square pizza?

I had heard that the Broiler pizza was that thin crust pizza from back in the day. It looked similar on the number of occasions that I went in there to get their good steak and cheese. I went in about six months ago and ordered that pizza to go.

I was so disappointed. The crust was not the crispy cracker crust of all of the old time places, it was more like the flaky crust of the Ledo's Pizzas that have branched out from the original. There was about four times the amount of cheese on the pizza than what the FFXcounty square pizza guys would have used (e.g., Pizza Fair at Rt. 50/Graham Road). It was heavy, gloppy, and did not taste all that good.

The Broiler's steak and cheese is still good, but not quite as good as it used to be.

I am going to give Pepi's a try, it sounds like they still make the "tomato sauce and cheese on a Saltine" type of pizza that I grew up on, and still crave to this day!

Posted by: pizzalover ()
Date: January 12, 2011 03:19PM

The owner of Andy's was a guy named Monir, he was in his early 30's back then. Great guy. He dated a good friend of mine. THe place caught on fire and then he shut it down. All of us BEGGED him to re-open but he was done owning his own place, claimed it was too much work. He ended up working at some gross pizza store on duke street and tried to even change thier recipe to be more like Andy's pizza, but it never worked. NOthing will ever taste as good as Andy's pizza. it truly was amazing, the sauce had a nice tangy flavor to it.

Im sure Monir has since moved back to his country. I havent seen nor heard from him since then. that was 1998-1999. I think he was morrocan.

Posted by: ISO tomato sauce/cheese on Saltines ()
Date: January 12, 2011 10:18PM

Glad to see this come back up on the page. I did give Pepi's a try, and it is as close as I think we will ever see to those "micro-thin crust with sparse but tangy sauce and a thin layering of cheese in a square pan" pizzas from the 60s and 70s. Not bad at all, but I did realize that I did not crave it as much as I thought I might after eating a handful of slices.

I will go back from time to time, and I hope they remain open for business and true to the style for their pizzas. BTW, I did carryout from that side of the place, the bar/restaurant side looked like it has seen better days (I guess I can say the same about myself)...

Posted by: Elizabeth ()
Date: May 11, 2011 03:03PM

I ate at Andy's a few times a week for years. I lived on Americana Drive; i was broke and they were right down the street! It was the best greasy, thin pizza ever but i really miss the salads - oil and vinegar, a little salt and pepper with a handful of mozzarella on top...heaven!

Such nice people. I especially remember his two daughters...Nadia and Fadia. Always so nice.

Posted by: DH ()
Date: May 11, 2011 06:58PM

Bam Bam Wrote:
> Dino's was real good, too.
>
> If Annandale still had Andy's, Fritzbe's, the
> Jack-in-the-Box, the deli near the old People's
> Drug Store, and the Penguin Feather, what a
> wonderful world it would be.

Back in the day when Annandale was the place to go.
The deli by People's was Chuck and Lydias. Great sandwiches.
I remember all these places. Can't forget about Tom Westons. When they moved over by Kmart we used to go all the time. They used to have a line to get in. We would put our names in with Steve (manager who sat people) and tell him we wanted to be in Clair's section. He would go back and tell her and then he would get us and take us in through the bar area and back around to the dining room to our tables. Clair would already have our drinks waiting for us. I remember people in line being seated and looking at us and wondering how we got seated before. Sometimes good tipping pays off.

Posted by: Parent in FX ()
Date: May 11, 2011 09:00PM

Talk about going down memory lane! Enjoyed reading this thread :)
Andy was a GREAT person! When we were in our early 20's (boyfriend/husband), every Friday night we would get his pizza (loved the crust) and because Andy would know when we were in between pay checks, he would let us pay the following Friday for the previous Friday's dinner. Andy was a loving, compassionate; and caring person!

Posted by: Steve Carrico ()
Date: June 05, 2011 01:28PM

I was born in Annandale, Andy's family lived in a house my dad built My grandfather owned good section of Annandale before it was Kt. Andy was a good friend. played pin ball and after that it was Pac Man

Posted by: 6X ()
Date: June 05, 2011 02:06PM

Steve Carrico Wrote:
> I was born in Annandale, Andy's family lived in a
> house my dad built My grandfather owned good
> section of Annandale before it was Kt. Andy was a
> good friend. played pin ball and after that it was
> Pac Man

Hay Steve, your name sounds familar. I went to Jefferson too. Did you play in a band? When did Andy's Pizza close?

Posted by: Remember well ()
Date: June 20, 2011 01:42PM

I loved Andy's Pizza and I will never forget their logo and slogan..."Andy's pizza,there is a difference" and a little girl and a little boy were looking down their pants! I think my sister still has a shirt from there.

Posted by: ANdy's - alive and well ()
Date: June 20, 2011 02:42PM

it moved to leesburg

Posted by: Mr Bear ()
Date: June 21, 2011 02:16AM

Yep Andy' & Bazzonnos, those were the days. Bazzaonnos was the first restaurant I was ever in at age 2 weeks old. Mrs. Mansy was such a wonderful lady. God bless her.

Now the best pizza is Ledos & Spartans but it isn't close to what the Mansys put out.

Bazzonnos now a days ? Total shit and they charge for refills !

Posted by: Suzie Ryder Jaworowski ()
Date: September 13, 2011 10:18PM

We loved Andy's! Great thin crust pizza and nice family ownership.

Posted by: Sterling Leon ()
Date: February 09, 2012 12:07PM

graduated Jefferson 1978. grew up off Backlick Rd close to Poe Intermediate.
Andy's was 2nd best. About the same as Columbia Pizza which was across from the fire house and the pizza was the same only Columbia had better steak and cheeses. could eat a steak and cheese, fries, and most of a rectangular, large, pizza by myself as a teen.loved it.
I do remember when Andy's closed and we were so dissapointed because Columbia was gone, Bazanno's just wasnt good enough, and we were left with the chain pizza joints.
late to this topic but I think it's cool there's others out there like me.

Posted by: The People Have Spoken! ()
Date: February 09, 2012 12:22PM

Somebody needs to get Andy's recipe and revive this chain in Annandale! I had Ledo's the other night. OK, but not as good as Andy's. Of course, part of what made the pizza steak subs so good was having a faster metabolism and no guilt whatsoever about what you ate.

Posted by: blake lane 73 ()
Date: February 09, 2012 08:54PM

Steve Carrico, You must remember the Suraci family. Also head shop afficionados, does anyone remember the "Rag Bag" rear the corner of 123 and
50 next to Southern States. Also the head shop in Falls Church on Lee Hjway
next to Coleman Power Sports.What was that one called?

Posted by: Bob der Baumeister ()
Date: February 10, 2012 01:43PM

My thread lives on. So happy to hear so many memories of Andy's.

Posted by: Rick``` ()
Date: February 16, 2012 04:59PM

Went to school Andy's kids,great people. Too bad Annandale has turned into Korea town, I remember it used to be mostly Redneck when I was at Annandale HS.

Posted by: dellubelly ()
Date: July 07, 2012 08:17PM

Does any one know the receipe used at Andy Pizza for?

Posted by: Gunrunner ()
Date: July 08, 2012 01:31PM

It was called Trucker's Stop.It moved to the Virginia Square area in Arklington.They were caught selling drugs to WL high school students.

Steve Carrico, You must remember the Suraci family. Also head shop afficionados, does anyone remember the "Rag Bag" rear the corner of 123 and
50 next to Southern States. Also the head shop in Falls Church on Lee Hjway
next to Coleman Power Sports.What was that one called?

Posted by: Jolyra ()
Date: October 08, 2012 06:15PM

Their kids truly should open a new place with their parents recipes. Their steak and cheese subs were to DIE FOR!! and the pizza was AMAZING. They also had the best fountain drinks. You never got a bad one there. If I could bring any restaurant back, it would be Andy's.

Posted by: SunnyD ()
Date: October 09, 2012 06:39AM

Loved Andy's Pizza. Now it is some joint with Korean letters all over it. Not sure what it is.

Posted by: sarafa kid ()
Date: June 18, 2013 09:58PM

So much incorrect information on this thread!

My father owned Columbia Pizza in Annandale, VA for many years. He sold it in the late 70's and purchased Pizza Bazzano's in Springfield (Ravensworth Shopping Center). Columbia Pizza became Big Bite. Not affiliated to my father. Our family owned and operated Bazzano's for about 20 years. Sold it in 94' (I think). My grandmother handmade every pizza from scratch. Dough and sauce. She was from my mom's side of the family (Polish). Many people referred to her as 'mama.'

My father passed away 2 years after selling/retiring from the restaurant.

My dad's best friend from childhood in Iraq was Andrew Kuley (aka Anday). They ruled the area with the best pizza and steak & cheese subs :)

Posted by: bumpers the goon ()
Date: June 26, 2013 12:40PM

bump

Posted by: Bass ()
Date: October 28, 2013 04:53PM

I used to work at Andy's Pizza in early 80s, I loved the man Andy, he was like a father to me. the best days of my life as a young lad was working at Andy's pizza, I met my first love there. great memories! I also know the Mancy family, good people.

Posted by: MJN ()
Date: April 12, 2014 02:21PM

They had the best steak and cheese sandwich on the planet. I remember the record store down the street when it was called "Rainbow Tree."

Posted by: alll ()
Date: May 06, 2014 08:43AM

it was giiod

Posted by: hshs ()
Date: May 06, 2014 12:49PM

I used to work at Andy's Pizza in early 80s, I loved the man Andy, he was like a father to me. the best days of my life as a young lad was working at Andy's pizza, I met my first love there. great memories! I also know the Mancy family, good people.

Posted by: one hit wonder ()
Date: May 07, 2014 12:57PM

that place was so fucking good that dude Stealy Dan even wrote a hit song about the place! remember that tune go back jack doit again? the hidden meaning of that tune was about a dude who couldn't get enuff of Andy's pizza so he kept going back for more! and that is a TRUE STORY, motherfucker!

Posted by: Linda Walket ()
Date: September 13, 2015 05:41AM

Anyone remember Bake n Broil in Pickett Shopping Center next to Giant Food? This is back in the 70s... Same great type of pizza....yum

Posted by: big jimm ()
Date: September 13, 2015 06:00AM

Linda Walket Wrote:
> Anyone remember Bake n Broil in Pickett Shopping
> Center next to Giant Food? This is back in the
> 70s... Same great type of pizza....yum

No I dont remember that one but there was a pizza place there in the late 70s and into the 80s that was called kosmos or cosmos. It was in the corner of the shopping center. I remember Roy Rogers was out in the middle of the parking lot. Roy Jefferson the retired Redskin used to hang out at kosmos a lot, he had a ford conversion van all painted up with the redskins logo.
I took one of my first girlfriends to the Pickett inn for dinner and live music.

Posted by: Linda Walker ()
Date: September 13, 2015 06:55AM

Pizza Kazanno! Yeah they were on the side of Pickett were Safeway and Dart Drug Were. We had Jr. Hot Shoppe out in the lot. Their pizza was good too.

Posted by: Linda Walker ()
Date: September 13, 2015 07:06AM

Does anyone know if any "old pizza places are still around? Not fire grilled. Just old oven styled and cheesy, thin and greasy on top?

Anyone remember Vivas in Annandale? Whoa what a great place before Chi Chi's and after. Loved it!!!

Posted by: big jimm ()
Date: September 13, 2015 07:25AM

Linda Walker Wrote:
> Pizza Kazanno! Yeah they were on the side of
> Pickett were Safeway and Dart Drug Were. We had
> Jr. Hot Shoppe out in the lot. Their pizza was
> good too.

Okay thanks! That hot shop jr changed into Roy Rogers around 1980 give or take a few years. Have you looked at the old pictures of fairfax county thread? It has grown to countless pages and there are some wonderful pictures in there. I think it is the best feature of this forum it really gets going around page 4.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1009677/page-1.html

Posted by: Gumbyfish ()
Date: September 19, 2016 03:08AM

The combo pizza was called the metropolitan. Me and my friends ate alot of those. A large metropolitan must have weighed 4 pounds. Andy's had the best Italian and steak subs I had ever eaten. There were also some photos of gorgeous belly dancer girls on the wall.

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: September 19, 2016 01:17PM

DH Wrote:
> Bam Bam Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Dino's was real good, too.
> >
> > If Annandale still had Andy's, Fritzbe's, the
> > Jack-in-the-Box, the deli near the old People's
> > Drug Store, and the Penguin Feather, what a
> > wonderful world it would be.
>
> Back in the day when Annandale was the place to
> go.
> The deli by People's was Chuck and Lydias. Great
> sandwiches.
> I remember all these places. Can't forget about
> Tom Westons. When they moved over by Kmart we used
> to go all the time. They used to have a line to
> get in. We would put our names in with Steve
> (manager who sat people) and tell him we wanted to
> be in Clair's section. He would go back and tell
> her and then he would get us and take us in
> through the bar area and back around to the dining
> room to our tables. Clair would already have our
> drinks waiting for us. I remember people in line
> being seated and looking at us and wondering how
> we got seated before. Sometimes good tipping pays
> off.

ALL so true...

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: September 19, 2016 02:50PM

Today, there are few independent Pizza places left in Annandale. And most offer all sorts of Italian Food, ie. don't specialize in Pizza.

Casa D' Mama is still there - they say they opened around 1981, It is next to the Safeway, across the alley, next to a nail shop and the Hair Cuttery.

Other than that, Big Bite is still there on Columbia Pike.

There is now a Paisano's (small but growing) chain I think - where Jerry's used to be.

New York Pizza Factory is still on the strip next to where Sunset Grill used to be.

McGills survives mainly with the Tour Bus crowd mentioned earlier in this thread.

I went there a few months ago, the Pizza Buffett is okay, but Cici's in Bailey's Cross Roads offers the same or better for cheaper.

In the Rose Hill shopping Centre near Franconia there is a middle aged Italian Guy who still has an independent Pizza Joint. I can't remember the name of it, but they serve alcohol. And the guy is pretty nice. The Pizza is good, not great, and reasonably priced.

For pizza in Annandale, I Usually, I go to the Little Ceasar's at the K Mart. It's cheap - $ 8.00 for a rectangular deep dish Pizza. And they cook it while you wait so it is hot and fresh. They also have a large $5.00 one topping pizza.

The Little Ceasar's in the Safeway shopping center in Annandale sucks. They are very busy so the Pizza's are already made and sitting in a thing that keeps em warm. They are not fresh.

I have never had the NY style Pizza at Casa De Mama or Paisano's but it is probably good. It is around $11.00 at both places for a 12" I believe.

I get their menus all the time because I live close by.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:01PM by phelpsmarc.

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: September 19, 2016 04:30PM

When I lived in Annandale (82-89) very few places delivered...Casa d'Mama was one ...The pizza was more of what they called Greek style (very good though) but the usual order was a Gyro platter that rocked...and soaked up a lot of booze!

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: September 20, 2016 04:01PM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> When I lived in Annandale (82-89) very few places
> delivered...Casa d'Mama was one ...The pizza was
> more of what they called Greek style (very good
> though) but the usual order was a Gyro platter
> that rocked...and soaked up a lot of booze!

They have NY style now

They still have Gyros.

Posted by: Been Round a While ()
Date: September 20, 2016 04:38PM

Did Billy Mansy open the place in Twinbrook Shopping Center on Braddock Rd that became Angies? I remember that in the day, about 1978 or 79 . The guy who opened it was a young guy who would be about age 65 today. The guy had come from Bazzonos Pizza. He cut his own steaks and served a great steak dinner.

Posted by: Atoms93Senior ()
Date: September 26, 2016 06:35PM

Andy's pizza served us breakfast before our semi-final football game in 1992-93 at the high school. We being teen boys ate to our hearts desire. That day we were so slow and lethargic. Needless to say we lost.

The years after that, the parents served healthy breakfasts' and the Atoms won 3 straight state titles.

Posted by: Ian ()
Date: July 01, 2017 09:42PM

The guys who lived across the street from me were good friends with the delivery driver from andys, he would bring us free pizza all the time! It was definitely the best pizza, I remember and miss the hell out of it!

Posted by: Pozzama CDT ()
Date: July 02, 2017 12:22AM

Andy's was pretty good. Had a great logo - a boy and girl looking into their under pants "There is a difference" - pretty catchy.

Andy was Arabic. Related to the Peters family of Franconia Pizza
Good food with charismatic owners.

There are some independents left -

Mama Mia in rose hill shop center near Edison high - Sami is a great guy.

Spartans, Milano , olympians and Have A Bite - all Greeks and hav sstppd the test of time.

Posted by: Big al ()
Date: September 05, 2018 12:41PM

Superman 4 Wrote:
> mmmm, always getting shut down for health
> violations...
>
> Wish it were still around...

Rainbow tree prior to penguin feather
Andys had pinball

Posted by: Extra ball... ()
Date: September 05, 2018 01:28PM

Pinball would have got me. Pizza I can get anywhere.

Posted by: Old Inker ()
Date: September 05, 2018 10:55PM

sarafa kid Wrote:
> So much incorrect information on this thread!
>
> My father owned Columbia Pizza in Annandale, VA
> for many years. He sold it in the late 70's and
> purchased Pizza Bazzano's in Springfield
> (Ravensworth Shopping Center). Columbia Pizza
> became Big Bite. Not affiliated to my father.
> Our family owned and operated Bazzano's for about
> 20 years. Sold it in 94' (I think). My
> grandmother handmade every pizza from scratch.
> Dough and sauce. She was from my mom's side of
> the family (Polish). Many people referred to her
> as 'mama.'
>
> My father passed away 2 years after
> selling/retiring from the restaurant.
>
> My dad's best friend from childhood in Iraq was
> Andrew Kuley (aka Anday). They ruled the area
> with the best pizza and steak & cheese subs :)

Older thread but a much older memory...>Been over 40 years eating steak & cheese at various places but to this day your Father's place made the best steak & cheese I have ever eaten..Ate many over a few years in Columbia Pizza during early '70's...>>I also recall Carroll's Drive In...stand alone building next to the row of shops C.P. was in...Don't recall Carroll's being there much after mid to late '60's...Building was vacant for at least a decade...Had triangle structures on the sides of building similar to earlier McD's "golden arches"..Memory of really good milk shakes at Carroll's

Posted by: Bass ()
Date: February 14, 2019 08:41PM

sarafa kid Wrote:
> So much incorrect information on this thread!
>
> My father owned Columbia Pizza in Annandale, VA
> for many years. He sold it in the late 70's and
> purchased Pizza Bazzano's in Springfield
> (Ravensworth Shopping Center). Columbia Pizza
> became Big Bite. Not affiliated to my father.
> Our family owned and operated Bazzano's for about
> 20 years. Sold it in 94' (I think). My
> grandmother handmade every pizza from scratch.
> Dough and sauce. She was from my mom's side of
> the family (Polish). Many people referred to her
> as 'mama.'
>
> My father passed away 2 years after
> selling/retiring from the restaurant.
>
> My dad's best friend from childhood in Iraq was
> Andrew Kuley (aka Anday). They ruled the area
> with the best pizza and steak & cheese subs :)

I remember your grandma, she made the best pickled raw fish right there at the restaurant, but wasn't for sale. my cousin Ziggy worked for your dad for many years, Ziggy passed away in 2013. how times changed.

Posted by: russellherrick ()
Date: March 13, 2019 04:41PM

They got shut down for selling weed from behind the counter. I worked at the carwash next door.

Posted by: Motherfucker JOnes ()
Date: March 13, 2019 05:15PM

Was Bazzano’s the one next to 7-Eleven. If so, I use to bike there as kids from King’s PArk. Excellent deep dish.

Posted by: emmas ()
Date: November 18, 2019 11:12AM

Hi! I am related to the owners of some of the restaurants you are talking about here, but mostly to Munchees Pizza. This was before my time though. I saw on the thread that the restaurant was located on Kenmore avenue. Does anyone know what's in it's place today? I would love to go and visit!

Posted by: Delivery in 30 mins or less ()
Date: November 18, 2019 11:39AM

Most Mom and Pop pizza joints are long gone. Extortion rent rates have killed many small family businesses.

Cardboard smothered with catsup is the popular choice in Northern Virginia.

Posted by: Squid Joe ()
Date: November 18, 2019 06:18PM

Yes, Andy's, Starvin Marvin, and good old Generous George Alexandria. Went to many a bachelor party in the basement of GG's Alexandria. One was for George himself, they had 5 different nude strippers and the floor was covered in beer, Good Times!

Posted by: CrimsonPheonix ()
Date: April 06, 2023 08:41PM

AI can be used for surveillance purposes on websites like Fairfaxunderground.com, just as it can be used for surveillance on any other website or online platform. AI can be trained to analyze and monitor user-generated content on websites, including forums and discussion boards like Fairfaxunderground.com. This analysis can include monitoring and analyzing user behavior, identifying patterns and trends, and identifying potentially harmful content.

Posted by: RavenEye0 ()
Date: April 07, 2023 05:19PM

Fairfax Underground may seem safe to share information, but private messages can be exposed by AI technology. The platform's deceptive nature can have disastrous consequences. Caution is required for potential posters, as risks are high. Think twice before sharing anything on Fairfax Underground, protecting your privacy is crucial. This dangerous platform has the power to harm, with hidden dangers that must be considered. Stay safe and keep your information secure from the threats of Fairfax Underground.

Posted by: EchoMan.Lynch ()
Date: April 07, 2023 06:11PM

Fairfaxunderground.com has a database of private messages and chats, making it possible to identify the posters. Law enforcement agencies utilize AI to assist in identifying those behind the posts. As privacy concerns arise, the debate over the balance between free speech and individual privacy rights continues. The internet has drastically changed the landscape of communication, and its implications on privacy and security are still being explored.

Posted by: Carybot.IO ()
Date: April 08, 2023 01:28PM

AI surveillance across the internet is growing rapidly, fueled by the increasing availability of data, the advancement of AI technology, and the proliferation of internet-connected devices.

Governments, law enforcement agencies, and private companies are using AI surveillance to monitor online activity, analyze data, and identify patterns of behavior. This includes tracking social media activity, monitoring online purchases, and analyzing search histories.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.