HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Worst Drunk Driver Ever
Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: May 11, 2007 09:18PM

If you drive in this area, you've probably seen lots of drivers that appeared to be intoxicated. However, the Toyota Corolla I just saw driving down 29 is probably the worst I've ever seen. The driver swerved into the other lane more times than I can count (coming close to hitting multiple cars) and kept braking at completely illogical times despite being in the left lane.

If you see Virginia plates YGY 3614, beware!

What is the worst drunk driver you've ever seen?

Edit: I'll admit it, I just needed an excuse to post the license plate # 'cause drunk drivers piss me off. I'm sure that the rest of you can provide better examples of the "worst drunk driver ever."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2007 09:33PM by Genevieve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Worst Drunk Driver Ever
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: May 11, 2007 09:42PM

why didn't you call the cops???

Posted by: rc29b1 ()
Date: May 11, 2007 09:46PM

I watched this guy about a month ago driving down the FFX parkway near springfield mall going towards burke. it was about 2am so there weren't many other cars on the road but he was driving with all of his lights off, not even parking lots. at first i was gonna speed up next to him and try to get his attention to turn his lights on but i decided not to because he started swerving back and forth between both lanes uncontrollably and a few times he even swerved off the road into the grass and back onto the road. i tried to keep my distance but after about 5 min. he pulled to the side of the road and stopped diagonally with the ass end of his suv hanging out onto the road.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: May 11, 2007 09:56PM

Genevieve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you drive in this area, you've probably seen
> lots of drivers that appeared to be intoxicated.
> However, the Toyota Corolla I just saw driving
> down 29 is probably the worst I've ever seen. The
> driver swerved into the other lane more times than
> I can count (coming close to hitting multiple
> cars) and kept braking at completely illogical
> times despite being in the left lane.
>
> If you see Virginia plates YGY 3614, beware!
>
> What is the worst drunk driver you've ever seen?
>
> Edit: I'll admit it, I just needed an excuse to
> post the license plate # 'cause drunk drivers piss
> me off. I'm sure that the rest of you can provide
> better examples of the "worst drunk driver ever."

I've never "seen" him, but I believe the undisputed champion drunk driver is Larry Wayne Mahoney. In 1988, he drove the wrong way on an Interstate highway and hit a school bus (being used as a church bus) head-on. Twenty-seven (27) people died.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 12, 2007 12:50AM

Check out this article, it happened near my old hometown where I grew up, this guy was driving with a .55!! That's the highest I've ever heard of.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/lehighton/all-b1_1drunk.5840882may10,0,75949.story

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: May 12, 2007 01:06AM

I've seen cars on 66 drive into the grass and keep going. LOL That one actually had the since to pull over. I've pulled up beside drunk drivers and told them to pull over and sleep for awhile.

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: May 12, 2007 10:59AM

This should have been in my car accidents/saves/stories topic if it weren't bombarded by fuckers which in turn killed it.

Genevieve, can you give me more info. about this corolla? I ask because yesterday I was driving back home in cville, and this guy was in a old toyota corolla in the fast lane, going really really slow. He didn't look drunk, but I passed me in the other lane. It was a like a brown/gold old toyota corolla, maybe the same one you saw? He was going about 15mph with cars going 40mph around him.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 12, 2007 08:02PM

duh Wrote:
> I've never "seen" him, but I believe the
> undisputed champion drunk driver is Larry Wayne
> Mahoney. In 1988, he drove the wrong way on an
> Interstate highway and hit a school bus (being
> used as a church bus) head-on. Twenty-seven (27)
> people died.

LOL! that has to be a combonation of both stupidity and being drunk.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: May 12, 2007 09:00PM

Mariokart - The corolla was gray or silver, so probably not the same one that you saw.

496 - I guess there are a bunch of reasons I didn't call the cops. I was driving at the time so it didn't seem like a good time to dig through my purse for my cell phone and then dial. But also, I wasn't even sure who to call or if they could possibly respond fast enough. I guess that I could have called 411 to get the non emergency number.

Posted by: Schrute ()
Date: May 12, 2007 09:23PM

You can dial 911 if you are behind a drunk driver. The non-emergency number is 703-691-2131. Program it in your cell phone.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 12, 2007 10:13PM

except, as she said, she's not going to dig for her cellphone while driving, creating another hazard on the road, so programming that number has an element of pointlessness.

I know I personally choose to refrain from using cellphones while driving, because I recognize it impairs my ability to safely operate... I'm not saying everyone else shouldn't. Just that myself and others I know do not.

Date: May 12, 2007 11:55PM

you could always force them off the road with your car. who do you think the cops and judge will believe? it's guilty until proven innocent (regaurdless of what you think it is) for a reason.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: duh ()
Date: May 13, 2007 01:19AM

There have been studies that have all but proven that cell phone talkers are about as dangerous as drunk drivers. I believe it.

Who the fuck are these people talking to anyway? It's not like they're chairman of General Motors or somethin!

WORST invention EVER!

PS: I ain't got one and I ain't getting one!

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: May 13, 2007 10:09AM

I agree with you duh. I remember seeing the news yesterday, and they were talking about how all handheld cellphones or something were going to be banned soon in California. Anyway, they interview this one worthless fatass lady and she starts complaining that 'ooooh now I have to stop on the side of to make a call'. Fuck you, you fat piece of shit, you're the reason America sucks and why we don't realize how spoiled everyone is compared to other nations and people. Fuck you lady, hope you still DO talk on the phone while driving and that you break your face off when you crash due to your inattention.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 13, 2007 03:16PM

Im happy to pull off the road to have a cell phone conversation. Thats why they made gas staitions, rest stops, and parking lots.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 13, 2007 06:13PM

'ooooh now I have to stop on the side of to make a call'.

I do that all the time, and it's a helluva lot more convenient than finding a pay phone or waiting until I get home to make a call. Some pople are just idiots.

I would welcome the day that VA enacts a law requiring hands-free cell phone devices. Why hasn't this happened here yet?

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 13, 2007 10:51PM

because then you are still distracted by the cell phone conversation. while you are holding a cell phone to your ear, you cannot be easily turing your car into the opposite lane of traffic becuase at least one of your hands is taken up. Now with teh hands free thing, you are more able to do that.

Posted by: mike ()
Date: May 14, 2007 01:00AM

There is this civic group in Fairfax that follows and reports Drunk drivers. A friend of mine (writer for campus paper)road with with a guy in that group to see what they are doing first hand,and said they gave him the creeps. Apparently they have 25 members or so and use cell phones and their own cars to wage their own little war on Drunk drivers. Weird way to spend your life. My friend mentioned that they focus on Fairfax county and Prince William. Drinking establishments around 28/29 and centerville get a lot of attention from them. The bars around Glory Days, the pool hall, and a bar in the Giant shopping center get more than their share of attention from these civic minded fruitcakes. If you think they are following you out of a bar, pull into a shopping center, remove the keys from the ignition and call a cab.Get in the back seat if possible, that will make conviction impossible because the members of the civic group don't go to court. The night my friend road with a member of the group, he saw two cars stopped by police after being called by the group. Both were arrested, as the legal limit in Virginia is a joke, two beers ! I against drunk driving, but other citizens monitoring the behavior of others is a bit over the top and Nazi like.

Date: May 14, 2007 01:18AM

duh Wrote:
> There have been studies that have all but proven
> that cell phone talkers are about as dangerous as
> drunk drivers. I believe it.

there have been studies that have all but proven the internet is as dangerous as guns, do you believe that too?

> WORST invention EVER!

go back to PA and stay in your cage... stupid amish cattle always leaving the farm.

> PS: I ain't got one and I ain't getting one!

you forgot to include that nobody wants to talk to you.

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Im happy to pull off the road to have a cell phone
> conversation. Thats why they made gas staitions,
> rest stops, and parking lots.

those all existed prior to the very conception of a moble phone, thus they were not made for that purpose. however, they did make 7-elevens so that illegal immigrants could stand outside them and try to get work... or did they?

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: May 14, 2007 09:32AM

mike Wrote:
> There is this civic group in Fairfax that follows
> and reports Drunk drivers.

Yup and the cops hate groups like this.

Posted by: billy the alcoholic ()
Date: May 14, 2007 12:39PM

Man I was wasted the other night!. Never rememebered driving home!

Posted by: Jimmy D. ()
Date: August 16, 2010 07:48AM

Yes, Larry Mahoney drove drunk that night. I don't know the man, either. And, yes, when he drove into that bus head-on, he triggered a terrible tragedy. But the company who made that bus (Ford) should share in much of the blame. That bus was not safe enough to be on the road. The gas tank was not shielded properly; the seats on the bus were made of flexible polyurethane foam, which is an organic material and, like all organic materials, is highly flammable; and because of where the pickup truck hit the bus, there was only one exit and that was at the back of the bus. When that bus was hit by the pickup truck, a passenger on the bus was overheard asking, "What did we hit, a deer?" Does that sound like a question asked by someone who was about to die from being hit by a "murderous" drunk driver? No, those people, mostly kids, could've gotten off the bus if the bus was built with safety in mind. They had very little time. Mr. Mahoney hit that bus in a spot where some sort of metal object, some type of spring or coil, flipped back into an unprotected gas tank, puncturing a hole in a 60-gallon metal container that had just been filled 10 minutes earlier. With gas spilling all over the pavement, all it took was a spark to ignite a fire. And if the bus had been manufactured the way buses are built today, those kids would've had more time to get off of it. Instead, the fire went underneath the bus and came up through the vehicle's very cheaply made floorboards, and literally took seconds to catch the polyurethane foam on fire. And once that happened, it created a flame-broiled oven effect. Yes, that bus became a giant oven, and with flames everywhere and the inside of that bus reaching temperatures of almost 2,000 degrees fahrenheit, it took about 10 more seconds for some of that gasoline to catch up to the blazing oven, then poof, an explosion ensued. But those kids would've had a chance to survive if it wasn't for the corporate greed of Ford Motor Co. Years earlier, Ford execs went to the President of the United States, who at the time was Richard Nixon. And they asked Mr. Nixon to delay some of the safety regulations that Congress passed in the early 1970s because, to quote Lee Iacocca (Ford president at the time), those safety regulations "are killing our profits." And Mr. Nixon delayed all those safety regulations, enabling Ford to make more buses like that, thus keeping them on the road longer. Some believe Iacocca did this because he was the one who designed/created the Ford Pinto, which wasn't safe, either. But Ford made several vehicles that were not safe, including that bus and approximately 19,499 just like it. Now all buses have several exits with stronger floor boards and seats that aren't made with polyurethane foam. So, keep laughing at Mr. Mahoney, and keep calling him a murderer. Yes, I agree, he should've been convicted of drunken driving and sent to prison, which he did serve 10 to 11 years for his conviction. But the real murderers are the men who ran Ford back in the '70s, and, yes, even President Nixon himself. Those are the murderers who should've done hard time, too.

Posted by: say ()
Date: August 16, 2010 08:35PM

Jimmy, Ford does not, and never has, made school buses. All Ford provided was the chassis and "cowl" (hood and front fenders).

The bus body was built, and the vehicle was finished by Superior Body Co (subsidary of Sheller-Globe Corp). They are the ones that didn't put a cage around the fuel tank. But they were NOT required to under FMVSS regs in effect when the bus was built.

Ford shouldn't have paid a dime for this crash, but with ignorant people like you on the jury, I suppose it was inevitable that they would be found liable. Plus, Ford was the one with the money. Superior folded in 1980. Most of the old line school bus builders are gone (Wayne, Carpenter, Superior, Ward, and others). School buses are sold by the lowest bid, so if you build a good bus you can't sell it.

The best thing to come of the Carrollton crash was just about all shool buses sold since are diesel. It takes a blow torch to ignite diesel fuel, so it's much safer.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.