HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Police Association calling for donations?
Posted by: Joe again ()
Date: May 18, 2010 08:50AM

I keep getting calls from some "Police" association asking for donations. The number they call from is 540-771-3062. Anyone else being inundated with calls from them? I'm assuming it's a scam. Anyone know their story?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Police Association calling for donations?
Posted by: it is a scam ()
Date: May 18, 2010 09:16AM

It is a scam.

They MAY give a very small amount to the police but 90% or more they keep.

Ask them who their police point of contact is. They won't have one.

Be abusive, they won't call back.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: May 18, 2010 09:26AM

I ask them first--

Are you a law enforcement officer?

Then

What % do you give to law enforcement?

They usually waffle at the second question, I ask them to remove my name from their list, eat shit, don't call back, please.

Posted by: Piggy ()
Date: May 18, 2010 09:40AM

The folks soliciting for donations more than likely are not employed by the agency, and are not police officers. Some legit police associations do indeed call and solicit for funds. This is very tacky and puts the specific agency in a bad light. Some of the other above posts have some good questions to ask the telemarketer. Being rude to the telemarketer is not going to really have a positve outcome. I just wish the Annandale Volunteers would stop calling.

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: May 18, 2010 09:58AM

95% of charities that have the words "Police" or firefighters" in their names are scams. They pull at heartstrings to get you to donate by using names like "the police-underprivileged youth Athletic league" or "Firefighters' widows and children's scholarship fund." Just ask if they are a member of The United Way, if they say "No" they are most likely a scam.

Date: May 18, 2010 10:03AM

Ask if they are United Way or CFC affiliated.

FUNdamental Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 95% of charities that have the words "Police" or
> firefighters" in their names are scams. They pull
> at heartstrings to get you to donate by using
> names like "the police-underprivileged youth
> Athletic league" or "Firefighters' widows and
> children's scholarship fund." Just ask if they
> are a member of The United Way, if they say "No"
> they are most likely a scam.

Re: Obama + Goldman Sachs > Bush + ENRON - Where's the Outrage?
Date: May 18, 2010 10:08AM

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 07:30PM by WingNut.

Posted by: Stinkfist ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:12AM

I hate those fucks with the "I support ffcpd stickers". I hope they get tickets.

Posted by: robertonscanner ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:31AM

Is kind of a weird scamm. I used to drive for those fuckers. They would tell us that the donnors where very loyal people. This people kept on donating every single year without asking where the money went. They did not let them mail the donations. They did force them into " put it on an envelope on the front door and we will pick it up" I f they didn't live anything at the door, they would make them feel guilty because they would tell them that one of us drove all the way there. The drivers made about 50 % of the donation. The average donation was about 35.00 so I would keep half of that and give them a stiker to put on their car.
We were told to tell them that we would donate the funds to the Fairfax County Police orphans. Not really sure we have that many orphans. Plus the county would take care of them. People think that they would not get tikets if they had those stikers all over their car. Makes no sence. The office was located at university dr across the street from the courthouse in FX city. It was in one big room in the basemant.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:39AM

The sad part is elderly get scammed by these people thinking they're giving directly to the Police who need their help. Some of the elderly don't even have the money to give in the first place.

Posted by: Police Protection Fund Scammers ()
Date: May 18, 2010 11:50AM

I get calls from teh "Ploice Protection Fund" from time to time and these guys are almost always rude and condescending. I never gave them money because they would answer my questions with nonsense. I asked them how much goes towards programs and the guy said "100%". I wasn't born yesterday, there is NO WAY that a charity can be that efficient.

So I looked into them through charitynavigator.com and they got one star out of four. Their ratio was 9 to 1 towards overhead, so for every million dollars, $900,000 would go toward the costs to get that money and not toward programs.

I did some deeper digging and found that their tax forms, which by law they must provide, revealed some interesting accounting. They had to pay a half a million dollar fine in Missouri when the AG of that state went after them for their practices. Montgomery County (MD) had a similar experience and they are not allowed to call anyone in that county or they will face a stiff fine as well.

They claimed to provide money to widows of slain officers, but they max that amount to only $50,000 per year. So even if they are bringing in $28 Million, like they did in 2007, then they still only spent $50,000 on a few widows of slain officers.

When one of these guys calls you, dictate the conversation, don't let them dictate to you. Ask questions such as how much of their funds go towards their programs, a halfway acceptable rate is 60-70%. If they say 100%, they are lying out of their teeth. If they ask for a donation amount that they can put you in for, do not pledge anything. Ask them to send you all the information they have about themselves and let you decide what to do. Ask them why they do not have any information they can send you. Tell them they don't sound legitimate and ask to be taken off of their calling list.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: May 18, 2010 12:35PM

I used to get that from the state police association or some shit I do think they are legit.

Solution, add your number to the do not call registry, no more calls!

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: May 18, 2010 12:37PM

Stinkfist Wrote:
> I hate those fucks with the "I support ffcpd
> stickers". I hope they get tickets.

Real cops will tell you that makes a car more suspicious and prone to further scrutiny.

Date: May 18, 2010 12:44PM

Joe again Wrote:
> I keep getting calls from some "Police"
> association asking for donations. The number they
> call from is 540-771-3062. Anyone else being
> inundated with calls from them? I'm assuming it's
> a scam. Anyone know their story?

It's a scam. The guys are registered as a nonprofit, but very little of the money ends up with the police. Maybe 10 percent or so. The rest goes into the pockets of the shysters running the thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: fcpd ()
Date: May 18, 2010 04:03PM

it's a SCAM. Just like VCOPS. (Virginia Coalition of Police Officers and Sherrifs). They have no association with FCPD or any police dept.

every charity in VA has to be registered with the state - call richmond and find out.

Posted by: hmmm ()
Date: May 19, 2010 07:38AM

Try using http://www.charitynavigator.org Also note, Purple Heart is a scam too. There is a whole class of "charities" who are legit but give very little of the money they make to the organizations they supposedly represent.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: May 19, 2010 09:59AM

Just tell them you plan to speed or ignore a road sign in front of a policeman in the near future as a small donation.

Date: May 19, 2010 11:07AM

fcpd Wrote:

>
> every charity in VA has to be registered with the
> state - call richmond and find out.

These groups are all registered nonprofits. They are just really sucky ones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: May 19, 2010 11:16AM

Ask if you can mail your donation in. Send pennies. Mix a bunch of Canadian pennies in there for good measure.

Posted by: Les ()
Date: May 19, 2010 12:04PM

The money gets sucked out by the executives who run the fund-raising firms that work for the charities. Some of them make 200K+. There was an expose' of one of these groups that recruit volunteers to collect money at traffic lights.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 20, 2010 12:36AM

dont the cops have a large budget and they pay the cops for doing a job? even if it was legit, why donate to people who dont need it?

btw, there is a donation to help bill gates. im sure he's fallen on hard times.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: R. Ryan ()
Date: March 21, 2013 05:43PM

Do not call.

Posted by: websuspect ()
Date: November 19, 2014 07:21PM

These are real police officers and its a scam... there used to be information online about them but its burried. Its some kind of cia police mafia descretionary fund. 95% goes to adminstration legally they can keep %85 but iguess since they are diirty mafia cops they feel like they can keep %95 I guess maybe %5 goes to help cops. But some of the money goes to things like police commisionars ed norris trips to baseball games and new york with hookers... when police commisionarb ed norris was investigated they said that previous commisionars used the fund as a descretionary funds not police orphans.

Posted by: Chief Rosler ()
Date: November 19, 2014 07:27PM

Give my boys some beer money you lazy fucks. They work hard all day and night and deserve to have a slush fund for them to go drink and womanize.

Bitches get in the kitchen and make your man a turkey pot pie!!!!!

Posted by: Craig ()
Date: July 02, 2015 07:39PM

I just tell them I do nothing over the phone. I don't. You have my number - you must have my address too...send it in writing via snail mail.

Thank you. Hang up with no opportunity for comment.

Posted by: Alan Brocket ()
Date: July 02, 2015 07:41PM

Why not support the local police force? The association helps them buy bigger guns.

Posted by: Old Guy ()
Date: July 02, 2015 07:54PM

This did not work out for me one bit.

I recently donated $500 and got an official sticker in the mail a few weeks later. I put the silver sticker on the rear driver's side window of my Taurus.

A few days ago I got pulled over by the police and was given a ticket for speeding. The officer walked right by the window and even looked right at my 2015 sticker. I still got the ticket.

I'm beginning to think that this is not legitimate.

Is there a better sticker? They said if I donated over $1000 I would get a gold sticker. Does the gold sticker work on more serious offenses?

Please help.

Posted by: nov00 ()
Date: July 02, 2015 08:02PM

I wonder if these are the people that call every year. I have never donated once. What is distinctive about them that is that each year the person that calls talks in a screaming voice. This past time it was so loud and fast I thought it was a robo call. I started screaming hello back to make sure and was surprised it was a real person. Those bastards must use those screaming voices to make sure the elderly people they scam can hear them.

Posted by: cisspforum@gmail.com ()
Date: July 10, 2015 01:18AM

This is a Police Officer Union and you are basically donating to their union activities. They have a lodge and activity building. The guy who called for donation hadn't even read the webpage of the group (FCPA) he says is calling on behalf of. What he mentioned that the group does with the donation was "community activities", when I pushed on what those activities were, he couldn't answer. When I declined to donate, he started to make condescending remarks.

They are not even 501(c) designated organization which means they are FOR PROFIT organization and it fits in with the fact that these donations would be used for their "union" activities rather than assisting the Fairfax County Police Department, the families of fallen officers, or to improve the FCPD.

DO NOT DONATE to this organization.

Posted by: WTHolyF ()
Date: July 10, 2015 02:37AM

@cisspforum: I agree 1000%. After getting repeated calls from them over the years after I found out what they really were, I always tell them that they are a complete ripoff and should go Fuck Themselves!!!

Posted by: Nice Guy Eddie ()
Date: July 10, 2015 06:54AM

The callers are usually assholes. I hang up before they get halfway through their speil.

Posted by: CursedOutbyFOP ()
Date: July 10, 2015 02:34PM

They use the money to hold big banquets in the names of the fallen, inviting widows and their children to attend. ...

not worth my money ..
I once refused to donate .. and they called me back and cussed me out.
Fraternal Order of Police -- thank you for your service .. but you're not getting a red cent from me.

Posted by: messing with them ()
Date: July 10, 2015 02:55PM

I once agreed to donate, they said they'd come get it.

I left nothing.

They showed up, banged on the door. I asked them through the door who they were.

They shouted "POLICE"

I called 9/11 told them the "POLICE" were banging on the door.

The real police showed up real fast. Scammers said it was a misunderstanding.

Have not heard back from them since then.

I thanked the police, they told me it was a common scam.

F'em.

Posted by: lee ()
Date: November 10, 2015 05:43PM

I just received this policy assisocation donation phone call... it sounds like a scam from the beginning, and when she asked "so you refused to donation?" i said "yes, because i am out of money," "do you take a rain check?"

Posted by: fuk da poleese ()
Date: November 10, 2015 05:52PM

Fuck the police. They get plenty of donations when they sit around using their radar guns rather than fighting real crime.

Posted by: 9tXVM ()
Date: November 10, 2015 08:29PM

Tell the pigs to party in their own mud pile

Posted by: Alonzo ()
Date: April 25, 2016 07:34PM

THOSE PEOPLE CALLED ME FOR A DONATION I SAID YES ,WHEN I GET THE PACKET IM GOING STRAIGHT TO MY LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT AND LET THEM DEAL WITH THEM.

Posted by: God, you are stupid ()
Date: April 28, 2016 09:22AM

Must be from Falls Church.

Posted by: Bev. Gosh ()
Date: July 03, 2016 05:24PM

I have been getting calls too, & when I told the guy that I would have to check with my son-in-law who is a cop, he immediately hung up.

They tell you that the charity is for survivors of fallen officers to get your sympathy.

Posted by: Elzy Chamness ()
Date: December 11, 2016 12:08PM

Most online and TV ads asking for donations are businesses to make money for themselves.
They are required by law to give only a small % to the charity.
You can Google the salaries and see this.
CEO of ASPCA earns over $500,000 a year.
American Red Cross boss, over $600,000. She turned down a raise this year.

If I have money to spare and see someone in need, I will try my best to help directly but never to one of these.

Posted by: Danny Wilson ()
Date: January 17, 2017 06:29PM

Scammers

Posted by: on the loose ()
Date: January 30, 2017 06:30PM

Call from 703-349-xxxx umber in Vienna. New Jersey accent.

Fairfax local police post something or other. Yearly call.

Said they had an office on Judicial Drive but no website.

Any actual FCPD lurkers passing by? Is this a legit donation? Seems like a scam.

Posted by: Imagine ()
Date: January 30, 2017 07:23PM

Imagine a world where there's a "Charity", that collects money "on behalf" of people who earn $50,000-120,000 per year, plus benefits, including lifetime benefits.

That alone is outrageous.

Then, you add to it the fact that this "Charity" keeps 90% for overhead.

Yeah, imagine that world.

Posted by: Rosie ()
Date: April 18, 2017 02:54PM

I have been receiving a call from 401-406-7215 and he said his name is John Conlon. He has been asking for a donation for the National Police Association. I answered the phone because they are calling from a local number. If I tell him that I'm not interested in donating, he tries to be aggressive and tell me that I can send in $15.00 as anything helps. I have blocked this number from calling my phone again. He actually asked for me by my first name.

Posted by: NAU Man ()
Date: April 18, 2017 03:11PM

Here's a simple solution. Don't answer the phone unless you recognize the number. Listen to your voicemails and delete all the BS.

Posted by: parent/shiftworker ()
Date: April 18, 2017 03:17PM

NAU Man Wrote:
> Here's a simple solution. Don't answer the phone
> unless you recognize the number. Listen to your
> voicemails and delete all the BS.

The problem being that I have to at least look at the phone to see who it is and be woken up when trying to sleep for a nightshift. I should not be subjected to unsolicited phone calls at all. Period.

Posted by: Scammers ()
Date: April 22, 2017 10:10AM

Lately when I receive the "fallen officers" call I am certain that it is a robocall that uses voice recognition. It almost seems as if they are talking with you but the calls I have received do not involve a real person.

I started asking questions on the last call, talking like an old man and running over what they were saying, and goth the "sorry, I didn't get that" repeatedly. Finally told them to fuck off and they said that's unfortunate. Also would tell them I support black lives matter.

I have heard that you shouldn't say "yes" to anything since they can manipulate the call to make it appear that you agreed to some service or donation. I have actually been dropped from calls when I respond "sure" or "of course" when they ask me if I am over age 35 or whatever.

Don't say "yes" at any time with any of these callers. Don't agree to any donation or to give them anything or to receive anything. Just tell them to fuck off.

Posted by: One loser ()
Date: April 22, 2017 04:59PM

I knew a loser who owned a company that solicited donations for. Local and state cops.

He used to BRAG about the law only requiring him to give 25 % of what he received to them. He often bragged on his boat - laughing about it

Don't give shot to anyone that calls

Posted by: Hugh O ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:01PM

New scammer number in Hudson Valley, NY is 914-533-8015.

Same pitch, different number.

Guy tried to shame me into donating..."you sound like a nice person, why wouldn't you help?"

Because you're a scammer, that's why!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.