HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
WTF happened on Comm St.?
Posted by: vip555 ()
Date: May 06, 2007 01:29AM

I was on Commerce St. trying to get to the McDonald's and the whole road was blocked and even had the "Crime Scene" tape around the road. I was going pretty slow and counted nearly 12 cop cars.

I'm thinking Cinco De Mayo got out of hand over there...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTF happened on Comm St.?
Posted by: pinataboy ()
Date: May 06, 2007 01:48AM

Homicide at Springfield Square Apts. Dude took a couple to the chest D.O.A. No further

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: May 06, 2007 03:27AM

I love being a Springfielder. The filthy underbelly of the fighting 11th. Those apartments have a police substation, not much else one could do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2007 03:27AM by The Congressman.

Posted by: FairF4x0r ()
Date: May 06, 2007 11:00AM

Post has this short note:

Man Fatally Shot in Springfield Parking Lot

An unidentified man was fatally shot last night in a parking lot in the Springfield area of Fairfax County, police said.

The shooting occurred about 8:40 p.m. near the 7000 block of Commerce Street, the police said.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: May 06, 2007 08:35PM

I remember that area when it was all old folks and young families. No crime no violence no nothing but quiet at night. Now you have murders, rapes and drunks. The cops have to open a police station there to keep the peace.

Damn shame what has happened to Fairfax and Springfield in particular. For many years was a family area with nice clean homes and no crime. It especially hurts the long time residents who see the deteriation of the community.

Will the last American out please take down the flag.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 07, 2007 07:19AM

I think this is evidence of the "Metro" effect. This is why I don't like the idea of extending Metro to the western end of the county.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 07, 2007 07:43AM

Not a totally far-out theory, I would love to see stats on metro expansion vs. the rise in crime in each area that was expanded to.

I bet those lines start low and just keep going up without interruption.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: May 07, 2007 07:51AM

pgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think this is evidence of the "Metro" effect.
> This is why I don't like the idea of extending
> Metro to the western end of the county.

It isn't the "Metro effect" it is the border effect. Crimes around most metro stations is not that high. Too many street gangs and too little parental control. But hey, it isn't their fault. Society crapped on them in another life so they have a right to be this way. Isn't that the way it is now?

Date: May 07, 2007 09:02AM

What is Springfield bordering that is causing a border effect?

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: May 08, 2007 01:55PM

It's actually the DC effect. Since DC sucks so much dick, and there is constant crime regardless of what they say about statistics, pretty soon it starts spreading around to nearby counties such as Fairfax. The way to cure this is to nuke DC, especailly the poor neighbourhoods. People commit crimes because they are in need and desperate. Nobody will shoot another person for pocket change, but when you have none left what is there to do I ask you? Education and prevention obviously haven't worked out. And about gangs, everybody knows the solution to them is to take the gang leaders in custody and hang them on live tv so maybe other members will realize it is a stupid game of turf and terrorities they play and will stop doing violent acts of behavior and maybe make better use of their time.

Posted by: Herndon Cutie ()
Date: May 08, 2007 07:22PM

I have a solution for crimes committed by teens...start locking parents up if their kid violent or repeat offender. I would love to see a study of how many kids that are in gangs actually have both parents in the home or even in their life.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: May 08, 2007 07:37PM

Herndon Cutie Wrote:
> I have a solution for crimes committed by
> teens...start locking parents up if their kid
> violent or repeat offender. I would love to see a
> study of how many kids that are in gangs actually
> have both parents in the home or even in their
> life.

That ridiculous. You may have birthed em but you arent responsible for EVERYTHING your teenagers do. Does that mean if they get a job the Parents garnish 100% of their wages or have a girlfriend/boyfriend mom and or dad gets to bang the hell out of them too? Kids are a seperate entity from parents. Punish Them not the parents.

Date: May 08, 2007 07:56PM

ferfux Wrote:
> Herndon Cutie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have a solution for crimes committed by
> > teens...start locking parents up if their kid
> > violent or repeat offender. I would love to see
> a
> > study of how many kids that are in gangs
> actually
> > have both parents in the home or even in their
> > life.
>
>
> That ridiculous. You may have birthed em but you
> arent responsible for EVERYTHING your teenagers
> do. Does that mean if they get a job the Parents
> garnish 100% of their wages or have a
> girlfriend/boyfriend mom and or dad gets to bang
> the hell out of them too? Kids are a seperate
> entity from parents. Punish Them not the parents.

Yes, parents are responsible until the kid turns 18; that's why it's called parenting! Knowing that your child is a criminal or has criminal tendencies, and not doing anything about it or throwing your hands up in the air should be considered a crime.

Regarding garnishing wages, that is not a valid comparison. We are talking about kids committing crimes or joining gangs. Maybe if these damn kids had jobs, they wouldn't be committing crimes.

Date: May 08, 2007 08:32PM

hey Hey SIMMA DOWN NOW! Just SIMMA DOWN NOW! SIM-MA DOW- NAH

Sup Herndon Cutie. How's your cat?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2007 08:34PM by ferfux.

Date: May 08, 2007 08:40PM

Herndon Cutie Wrote:
> Maybe if these damn kids
> had jobs, they wouldn't be committing crimes.

Well with your solution they'll have to. If mom and dad are in jail because junior got caught smoking a joint out at the park, then he'll have to drop out of school and hop on the construction truck to get money to feed himself.

Posted by: vip555 ()
Date: May 08, 2007 08:48PM

FYI..this was a gang-relate incident according to the FCPD news release.

Date: May 08, 2007 09:21PM

FairF4x0r Wrote:
> Herndon Cutie Wrote:
> -----
> > Maybe if these damn kids
> > had jobs, they wouldn't be committing crimes.
>
> Well with your solution they'll have to. If mom
> and dad are in jail because junior got caught
> smoking a joint out at the park, then he'll have
> to drop out of school and hop on the construction
> truck to get money to feed himself.

So where in my remarks did you see anything about smokin weed? I'm talking about gang members and teens that commit VIOLENT crimes. Last time I checked, smokin weed isn't a violent crime. In fact, I support legalization! ;P

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 08, 2007 10:10PM

start locking parents up if their kid violent or repeat offender

While that may seem like a good idea, it probably would create an even more unfavorable environment. Why should a little kid be forced to face the consequences of a jailed parent, just because his older brother is an uncontrollable asshole. There are good parents, good people, out there that are unfortunately blessed with fucked up kids. Locking the parents up might solve some of the problems, but it might also ruin the lives of alot of good families that just have a bad fucking apple in the bunch. If it can be proven that a parent's irresponsibility caused a child to act like a criminal, than so be it, those are the bad parents who deserve it.

I say lock the kids up. Boot camp. Something cheap and hard that provides an education and strict military-style discipline, no matter how old they are.

Date: May 08, 2007 11:22PM

Herndon Cutie Wrote:
> FairF4x0r Wrote:
> -----
> > Herndon Cutie Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Maybe if these damn kids
> > > had jobs, they wouldn't be committing crimes.
> >
> > Well with your solution they'll have to. If
> mom
> > and dad are in jail because junior got caught
> > smoking a joint out at the park, then he'll
> have
> > to drop out of school and hop on the
> construction
> > truck to get money to feed himself.
>
> So where in my remarks did you see anything about
> smokin weed? I'm talking about gang members and
> teens that commit VIOLENT crimes. Last time I
> checked, smokin weed isn't a violent crime. In
> fact, I support legalization! ;P

The point was missed but I will rephrase:

Well with your solution they'll have to. If mom
and dad are in jail because junior got caught up
in a fight with someone in public, then he'll
have to drop out of school and hop on the
construction truck to get money to feed himself.

I think a better solution would be to penalize parents only if it can be shown there was outright negligence in their parenting. But I agree with Meeps... if parents have been in to see school officials over problems, cooperated with police in dealing with the kid, etc. then throwing them in jail won't do anything useful at all. It will penalize siblings and transform low-income families to zero-income families.

I say rezone some commercial space out there off 28 for a charter boot camp to stick these kids. Whip 'em into shape that way. Cheaper than jails, doesn't resort to foster care, and may actually turn some of these kids around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2007 11:22PM by FairF4x0r.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 08, 2007 11:48PM

It will penalize siblings and transform low-income families to zero-income families.

Good point, but I'll even go further in saying that it could royally screw up some well-to-do folks, not just poor people. I know a pretty wealthy couple with a troubled son and two beautiful daughters. If one of those parents went to jail over this kid's refusal to behave, it would probably end the rest of their family's future.

Date: May 09, 2007 12:12PM

I know a family that had to resort to moving to South Carolina so they could emancipate their son at 17. Or maybe it was North Carolina as I can find no emancipation statutes for SC. I was always confused on why they needed to go to that extreme given emancipation can be done in VA at 16, but maybe the requirements for parents forcing it were too high here and they had to go down there.

Some kids just can't be helped until they get to a point where they help themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2007 12:16PM by FairF4x0r.

Date: May 09, 2007 12:39PM

Besides there are some evil conniving Kids that would LOVE to misbehave THEN get their parents locked up. If you want your kids to grow up straight you punish them not the parents.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: May 09, 2007 02:35PM

Does metro have "welfare" type programs for riders?

Posted by: cw ()
Date: May 10, 2007 06:35PM

Unless someone comes up with a solution, and I dont think so, the crime and problems in Springfield and Fairfax in general will grow.

Most of my friends have just given up trying and moved either out of state or further west in Virginia. It is especially tough when you have kids and they have to go to school with these problems.

One of my co-workers used to say it would be easier to teach the latinos to speak english than me to learn spanish. They are obviously not going to leave and I am not moving to mexico.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.