HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Good local guitar repair shop?
Posted by: baconcola ()
Date: May 03, 2007 10:53PM

What are some good local guitar repair shops? I need to get a guitar setup. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good local guitar repair shop?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 03, 2007 11:02PM

It's not in FFX, but check out Chuck Levins in Wheaton. It's a serious music store that really caters to guitar players, alot of local bands shop there. Probably the best music store in the whole DC area. You won't be disappointed.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: May 03, 2007 11:35PM

You might also consider posting an ad on craigslist dc in search of guitar techs. There are a lot of dudes in the area that can do that type of work, and some are rrally awesome. Many of the best are freelance or do it as a second job.

Anyway, an ad like that on craigs might allow you to solicit bids for thw work you need done.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 04, 2007 07:34AM

I thought Chuck Levin's (later renamed to Washington Music Center I think) closed a few years ago... they are still open?

edit to add: Google'd them and they are still around... maybe I was confused with all the Veneman Music/Mars Music openings, fires, and closings.

I drove there many times years ago... driving in Wheaton is so much fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2007 07:35AM by pgens.

Date: May 04, 2007 07:43AM

yeah chuck's is still open, but they kinda suck now. The staff is pretty fucking rude. They are better than the total pricks at guitar center, or as I call it, "bitter non-rockstars center".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2007 07:43AM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: erik ()
Date: May 04, 2007 08:53AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeah chuck's is still open, but they kinda suck
> now. The staff is pretty fucking rude. They are
> better than the total pricks at guitar center, or
> as I call it, "bitter non-rockstars center".

I haven't been in a while, but I have to agree: the staff at Chuck's were dicks. When I bought my first "real" guitar there, they tried to pull the bait and switch on me.

Nice call on Guitar Center. I can't take that place. The staff would rather show off their 1988 shred licks at 120 dB than actually get me my ghat damm strings. It's the home depot of music stores. You never really save any money, and I'm sure they ship their repairs offsite anyway.

There was an okay guitar place on 28 south going into Manassas...Classic Axe maybe? It might not be there anymore. A quick search shows one in Gainesville.

I don't know if Rolls music is still in Falls Church, but they did good work.

In Sterling there is Melodee Music, and the lame name is indicative of the atmosphere. It's a weird place that I try to avoid, but they do have technicians on their staff.

Date: May 04, 2007 09:33AM

Melodee staff are aloof and somewhat overbearing.
For guitar tech work, classic axe was ok back in the day, especially with vintage guitars. I have no idea if they are there anymore.

Posted by: J ()
Date: May 04, 2007 12:29PM

Rolls closed like 3-4 years ago. the dudes that worked there were pretty cool old burn-outs. Bought my Les Paul Custom there for a great price.

There was a place in Centerville, Pink Guitars, and another in Manassas called Classic Axe. Have not been there in years, don't know if there still around.

What are you looking to "set up" on your guitar? Most adjustments are pretty easy.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: May 04, 2007 02:51PM

I remember Rolls too. Anyone remember Giant Sound? Used to be at Pickett around where Chuck E Cheese is.

I had an amp repaired somewhere when I was in my teens and I wish I remember where becuase it took FOREVER to get it back.

I haven't had a problem at Guitar Center yet. In fact I have had really good experiences with the people there so far. I LOLd when I went in there one day last year and saw this dude who used to work at Venemans Springfield before it burned down working there.

Posted by: pyramids17 ()
Date: May 29, 2007 01:56AM

original post a while ago but i havent been on this site in a while. Guitar Center sends all their repairs to Metro Guitar Service in Arlington. It's owned and operated by just one guy. I got my strat setup there about a year ago. he did a really good job and good service. it was way out of whack; when i got it back it felt like new again. highly reccomended.

J Wrote:

> What are you looking to "set up" on your guitar?
> Most adjustments are pretty easy.

a setup is a term guitarists use. it means an overall tuneup like straightening the neck, fine-tuning the action, smaller things like polishing tuners.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: May 29, 2007 07:41PM

pyramids17 Wrote:
> original post a while ago but i havent been on
> this site in a while. Guitar Center sends all
> their repairs to Metro Guitar Service in
> Arlington. It's owned and operated by just one
> guy. I got my strat setup there about a year ago.
> he did a really good job and good service. it was
> way out of whack; when i got it back it felt like
> new again. highly reccomended.
>
> J Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > What are you looking to "set up" on your
> guitar?
> > Most adjustments are pretty easy.
>
> a setup is a term guitarists use. it means an
> overall tuneup like straightening the neck,
> fine-tuning the action, smaller things like
> polishing tuners.

The late, great John Duffy (Country Gentlemen, Seldom Scene) had guitar repair shop in Arlington. I wonder if his widow kept it going?

Posted by: Xchekker94 ()
Date: May 31, 2007 05:57PM

In Arlington, try ACTION Music. They are a mom and pop shop. The anti-Guitar Center. I've had all of my guitars set up there. Here's the contact information:

6501 N. 29th Street
Williamsburg Shopping Center
Arlington, VA 22213
Tel: 703-534-4801

http://www.actionguitar.com/

Posted by: Michael Scarlata ()
Date: August 03, 2014 03:14AM

I do guitar and bass work.

Let me know if I can help anyone.

Thanks,
MichaelSaintDavid@aol.com

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.