HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: FCPS Gifted and Talented Program
Posted by: APorIBMom ()
Date: December 12, 2010 11:50PM

The information and the decline in average CogAT scores of students admitted to the GT Center program was based on FCPS staff memos, which were provided to members of what used to be called the Gifted and Talented Advisory Committee.

These are county-wide numbers. It's possible that the averages vary among GT Centers. In fact, staff's refusal to provide information for each GT Center suggest that this may be the case.

not exactly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> APorIBMom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > HokieMom,
> >
> > Your children must be at least in their 30s!
> The
> > average Cognitive Abilities Test score of
> students
> > admitted to the GT CEnters over the last 6-8
> years
> > has been around 120. Even for students admitted
> > back in the 1990s, it was about 130.
> >
> Not sure where you get your information on the
> average IQ's. I do know that since they started
> using the Naglieri (spelling?) instead of the
> OtisLennon along with the Cogat, the IQ scores
> have been lower, but I don't believe they are that
> low. At least in the 90's and early 2000's they
> weren't. My sons were both closer to Hokie Mom's
> kids than the 130 you cite, and they are 19 and 20
> now (to clarify theirs were in the mid 140's, as
> were most of their classmates..at least those that
> shared).
>
> For what it is worth, I felt the ES GT Center was
> better run than the MS GT Center that they
> attended. In the MS only one of the GT teachers
> was certified to teach GT. One son thrived
> throughout, the other was bored by school; except
> for a couple of HS teachers, and his 4th grade
> teacher he felt most of his teachers were not
> terribly inspiring or challenging.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stay in school ()
Date: January 25, 2011 10:15AM

your must be full of shit. you're not supposed to take those tests two weeks apart. I believe it is supposed to be one year apart or at least six months. basically, you cheated.

plus, if elementary kids are well prepared for math, they can take algebra in 7th grade and do fine. you obviously were not well prepared.

you don't know what you're talking about

Posted by: normal ()
Date: January 25, 2011 10:17AM

kids taking off in 6th grade happens for most kids, gt or otherwise.

HW Parent Wrote:
> My daughter is now a 1st year at UVA and went
> through the GT schools (Hunters Woods). I agree
> with Berdhuis as that was my experience in
> elementary school. I had to assist quite a bit
> through 6th grade. However, starting 6th grade
> she really took off and did everything on her own.
> The student really has to be self motivated to
> make it worthwhile. Staying at the base school
> means staying with neighborhood friends
> throughout. The friend part is so important and
> an appropriately socialized child is more likely
> to be successful as an adult.

Posted by: Student in GT/AAP ()
Date: August 07, 2012 05:38PM

Hi~
I am a seventh grader who is in AAP or in some places the GT program.
Actually, GT is not much harder than the regular grade, as my best friend wasn't in GT and we got the same homework everyday. We also got the same tests. So I from personal experience know that it is much better on your childs resume. So keep it. For some kids the teachers can be harsh and this can be the reason some children dread going to school.
I had a teacher who abused me through 4th grade GT. I did hate school and I did transfer. So this might be the problem not so much as the curriculum.
Student...

Posted by: End teacher bullying! ()
Date: August 07, 2012 06:16PM

FCPS has a huge problem.

Posted by: Parent9999 ()
Date: August 08, 2012 07:34PM

Both of our children tested in to the GT Program. Son stayed with it, did very well, needed the level of learning available throughout ES and MS. Took nine AP classes in HS and did well. We did not encourage all of the classes but he wanted to take them. He also participated in after school clubs and played sports. It was what he wanted and needed.

Our daughter participated through the end of ES. It was not for her. Her interests lie elsewhere and while she is a good student, she did not enjoy the program so we let her leave.

It is a personal, family decision. Your second grader will be able to voice an opinion as well. Good luck.

Posted by: Zach D ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:54PM

I am a 6th grade GT student, it's easy. level 4 GT, trust me, it's not hard.

Posted by: Mike father of three ()
Date: July 02, 2013 08:16PM

Hi, Just wanted to input on this. Have two daughter going through GT/AA. The work is not what they say! I compared the coarse material each year from 2nd grade all the way to my oldest daughters 8th grade honors classes. They state the coarse material far exceeds that presented in non honors class....Not true at all, they get about one extra subject matter and that is not even up to where the new standards for any child must be on testing on the new SOLs....Look at what the other parent said about friends....My oldest had a terrible time at the GT Center as no other child she went to elementary school with qualified for the Center! She had to find all new kids to befriend and this caused problems....On the other hand my middle girl brought many friends with her from girl scouts, elementary school and our pool and everything so far is good. We know the girls who she associates with and everything is much different with her. As I understand it the home base school/Center issue will not be an issue in the future as all middle schools are establishing GT classes in base middle schools. So, yes! Place your child in GT. The teachers are better, the curriculum is better and the children in the classes are more motivated/behaved. I always worked with my daughters on their school work in elementary school but once they entered middle school they just took over. Middle schools promote much more self responsibility! Good Luck!!!

Posted by: AAPReview ()
Date: July 02, 2013 09:58PM

Mike father of three Wrote:
> As I understand it the home
> base school/Center issue will not be an issue in
> the future as all middle schools are establishing
> GT classes in base middle schools

BZZZZZT. Sorry, wrong answer. Try again next time. Thanks for playing!

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=98VKD44E06CA

Summary of Program Review

Three guiding questions were used to review the Advanced Academic Program (AAP). Results of the review indicate that Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is providing an exemplary program for students with gifts and talents. The results for each guiding question are summarized below:

1. To what extent is FCPS' practice in the identified focus area aligned with best practices in the field of gifted education and comparable districts?

The FCPS AAP practice meets or exceeds all National Association for Gifted Children standards. The AAP meets or exceeds the requirements of the VDOE regulations. AAP meets or exceeds comparable local, state and national programs.

2. To what extent is FCPS' practice in the identified focus area perceived to be effective by relevant stakeholders?

Overwhelmingly, parents and students believe that AAP is positive, important, and effective. In fact, the students would like more opportunities with AAP, such as more in-depth study. Teachers and administrators perceive AAP to be an effective and positive experience for students, as well.

3. What are the FCPS strengths and areas for improvement in the identified focus area? What are the recommendations for improvement and potential expansion?

AAP has key strengths in each focus area. For Identification Procedures, the Young Scholars program is a model program supporting talent development of students from historically underserved populations so that their potential may be uncovered and later identified.

For Curriculum and Instruction, the plethora of research-based curricula developed by experts in the field, the consistent focus on critical thinking in classrooms, and the multiplicity of instructional strategies to support critical and creative thinking are strengths of this program as cited by stakeholders.

For Teacher Certification and Professional Development, parents, students, and administrators believe that teachers are effective and engaging students in critical thinking. In addition, the professional development courses are strong.

For Quality of Program Services, the multiplicity of options offered to students in the elementary and middle schools exceeds all comparisons. The areas for development or expansion that were identified are expected in a district the size and scope of FCPS.

Overall, AAP is a highly successful program that benefits students and families and serves as a national and global model for identifying and providing a multiplicity of services to learners with gifts and talents. FCPS is to be commended for this forward-thinking program, and deserves to be a source of pride for Fairfax County.

Posted by: make a choice ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:12PM

Pick one-AAP or sports/spirit/band/student government. Not enough money for both.

Make your wishes known to your school board member and Dr. Garza before they decide for you.

I saw a really good circular argument: "school sports are good because they help develop school spirit," wow, I nearly vomited when I read that. Schools do just fine without either.

Posted by: koop ()
Date: July 03, 2013 07:28PM

Mike father of three Wrote:
> Hi, Just wanted to input on this. Have two
> daughter going through GT/AA. The work is not what
> they say! I compared the coarse material each year
> from 2nd grade all the way to my oldest daughters
> 8th grade honors classes. They state the coarse
> material far exceeds that presented in non honors
> class....Not true at all, they get about one extra
> subject matter and that is not even up to where
> the new standards for any child must be on testing
> on the new SOLs....Look at what the other parent
> said about friends....My oldest had a terrible
> time at the GT Center as no other child she went
> to elementary school with qualified for the
> Center! She had to find all new kids to befriend
> and this caused problems....On the other hand my
> middle girl brought many friends with her from
> girl scouts, elementary school and our pool and
> everything so far is good. We know the girls who
> she associates with and everything is much
> different with her. As I understand it the home
> base school/Center issue will not be an issue in
> the future as all middle schools are establishing
> GT classes in base middle schools. So, yes! Place
> your child in GT. The teachers are better, the
> curriculum is better and the children in the
> classes are more motivated/behaved. I always
> worked with my daughters on their school work in
> elementary school but once they entered middle
> school they just took over. Middle schools promote
> much more self responsibility! Good Luck!!!

Hey Mike, why don't you ask one of your gifted kids how to spell "course"?

"Coarse", among other things, is a type of sandpaper.

Posted by: Chloe ()
Date: March 12, 2015 03:20PM

Interesting to read...I have a 6th grade son in AAP. Our base school is a center so we are lucky that way. He gets almost all 4s and I rarely get involved. But he is a very organized and smart kid- so AAP is a breeze from my experience. I am on the fence with my second grader- he qualifies but is much more hand holding to get homework done etc. and he has a core group of friends that I am not sure which are going to AAP.

So I think this stuff about it being so hard or horrible is untrue - clearly it depends on the school and the child. My thought is to have them admitted if they qualify and if they dont like it- move back to level 3.

I have never heard a single kid brag or be unduly competitive about being in AAP and I volunteer in the class a lot. The kids seem very normal to me.

Posted by: broken dreams.. ()
Date: March 12, 2015 03:37PM

Chloe Wrote:
> I am
> on the fence with my second grader- he qualifies
> but is much more hand holding to get homework done
> etc. and he has a core group of friends that I am
> not sure which are going to AAP.

Your child will have plenty of time later in life to let friends, spouses, and other associates hold him/her back - don't let it start at 2nd grade - please...

Posted by: Graham R. Pollyce ()
Date: March 13, 2015 12:06AM

Chloe Wrote:
> he has a core group of friends that I am
> not sure which are going to AAP.
>

I am shocked that he even qualifies, given your atrocious grammar.

Posted by: beenthere ()
Date: March 13, 2015 07:23AM

there are the questions? to ask . Is your child happy and secure in his environment . Will he move over easily go loo k at the school. He is only in second grade so if he hates it and shuts down you move him back If he/she is happy Leave them . They can always transfer later. You want them to see learning as fun this year . Do not worry about the homework . This will not wreck their lives no mater what decison you make the truly gifted will seek what out they need. Do not worry about grades just focus on positive learning .

Posted by: khjEc ()
Date: March 13, 2015 07:57AM

I was in the GT program starting about 1988 from grades 4-10. I'm pretty sure my parents were the reason I took them since I had to go to an outside tester to get in. I remember my mom saying the school test showed me as being in the 120's.

One time in 6th grade a woman pulled me out of class and gave me this test where she showed me some pictures and I had to explain what I thought was happening in them. Do you think she was testing my IQ?

Posted by: Psychographer ()
Date: March 13, 2015 11:03AM

That test is actually to identify potential psychopaths. You must have passed it.

Posted by: old school ()
Date: March 13, 2015 11:10AM

beenthere Wrote:
> there are the questions? to ask . Is your child
> happy and secure in his environment . Will he move
> over easily go loo k at the school. He is only in
> second grade so if he hates it and shuts down you
> move him back If he/she is happy Leave them . They
> can always transfer later. You want them to see
> learning as fun this year . Do not worry about the
> homework . This will not wreck their lives no
> mater what decison you make the truly gifted will
> seek what out they need. Do not worry about grades
> just focus on positive learning .

Send him to the most rigorous program you can get him into. He'll make new friends. If he "shuts down" he's probably going to end up in prison or on drugs someday, so at least you'll figure that out early. "Happiness" is overrated. The experiences in life that taught me most were not things I was happy about at the time. Learning is not fun - its hard work.

No parent in China or India is worried if their kid is happy or having fun, and that's your competition.

"Do not worry about grades just focus on positive learning " - that's the attitude of a loser.

Posted by: Perspective1 ()
Date: March 13, 2015 11:58AM

I went through the GT program in the 70's. It was at a time were they bussed you on the short bus to center schools. Had a brother that also went through the same. We both have graduate degrees and full time, tax-paying employment.

My kids are now in the AAP program. One is super bright but totally dis-organized. The other is smart enough, but organized and a hard work. They are both breezing through the program, however the hard worker is doing better in all the measures that matter to the school - grades, SOLs, rule following, etc. I also suspect that all things being equal will do better in life than their sibling unless super bright sibling stumbles on something that lights a fire under their ass.

Long way of saying - you know your child best, so make your schooling decisions based on that.

Posted by: uxyDJ ()
Date: March 13, 2015 01:23PM

No need to have the kids go through AAP program unless you want them to. Oldest kid did not go to center AAP although eligible. Is senior in HS now. Carries 4.0+, took honors, AP courses. 5 of 6 best friends went through AAP. Kids very similar in courses, SAT scores, honors, and colleges accepted into.

Younger kid in 8th grade is going through AAP. Main difference is in the parenting of the AAP kids. Makes for better learning environment with generally smarter and more motivated kids (parents leaning on them if not self-motivated) but a lot more needless homework and time-consuming projects. Don't anticipate there will be any advantage to AAP kid in HS. Expect same outcome as non-AAP kid.

Posted by: Since you asked ()
Date: March 13, 2015 10:17PM

khjEc Wrote:
> I was in the GT program starting about 1988 from
> grades 4-10. I'm pretty sure my parents were the
> reason I took them since I had to go to an outside
> tester to get in. I remember my mom saying the
> school test showed me as being in the 120's.
>
> One time in 6th grade a woman pulled me out of
> class and gave me this test where she showed me
> some pictures and I had to explain what I thought
> was happening in them. Do you think she was
> testing my IQ?

One does wonder...

All modesty aside, I was always the smartest kid in my class. This was long before GT programs, so I was mostly just bored, although some good teachers did their best to give me extra stuff to keep me interested.

I also had a mild lisp. And so I realized -- MANY years later -- that one of the special programs I got pulled aside for was speech therapy!

"Who knew..." (Well, I'm sure my parents did, although when I asked them, they'd completely forgotten whatever they knew about it.)

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.