HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pomodoro Pizza
Posted by: dlee ()
Date: July 15, 2005 11:57AM

Pomodoro's pizza in Fairfax Town Center on W. Ox road has the best pizza in the county, maybe even the state.

Have we covered this yet? Maybe I should've done a search. Too bad we can't enable voting on these forums.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pomodoro Pizza
Posted by: scot ()
Date: July 15, 2005 12:18PM

no, its just good. The best locally available, but not that great really. Just go to nyc and start tasting what pizza really should be. Better cheese, better sauce, better seasoning etc.

If a place opened up here that had REALLY good pizza they could have a line down the block all day long.

Date: July 15, 2005 12:22PM

The two brothers who run it are from NYC. That's probably why it's the best local pizza, though I agree with you about the real NYC experience.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: July 15, 2005 01:12PM

Tony's in Fairlakes kicks ass too :)

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: July 15, 2005 04:05PM

Tony's New York style in Fair Lakes has some damn good pizza but I never get it because their philly cheese steak is incredible. Best steak and cheese in the county, hands down.

I've never even heard of Pomodoro's but I'm actually about to head up to ffx town center to get some Panera so I'll check them out.

Oh and you're right, polls are essential. I'll figure out how to add them.

Posted by: yeah me ()
Date: July 15, 2005 05:32PM

THe two brothers are FROM napoli

Posted by: NY Gal ()
Date: July 17, 2005 10:11AM

I haven't tried the places mentioned, but I have found a place that I think is amazing. It's called CIRO'S NY PIZZA and it's located in Centreville. They serve Pizza and some very interesting pasta dishes(along with chicken Marsala, etc.). And by the way, they usually do have a line out the door! Just kidding, but even at oddest times of day, the place is always hoping with customers and there usually is a line of some sort. But they are very efficient, so you don't have to wait long at all. The food is good(real NY style), fresh, hot, and they make it quickly. They make their own sauce daily.

I should mention that I'm a life-long New Yorker and I am very picky about my Italian food.

Another good Italian place is SAN VITO in Herndon. So far I've only had the pasta and seafood dishes, which are really good, and in a different league than the other Italian places around here. I've seen the pizza that other patrons get and it looks and smells like the real deal. Plus I've had San Vito's tomato sauce(in pasta dishes) and it's homemade and first rate.

Date: July 18, 2005 02:45PM

Napoli ... New York, meh.

Posted by: Noah ()
Date: July 22, 2005 05:13PM

Pomodoro Sucks - Tony's and Ciro's DONE!!!

Posted by: John Thieman ()
Date: July 24, 2005 12:11AM

The most amazing pizza in the area is Valentino's in Alexandria near Lincolnia exit from 395. They have excellent Italian dishes and pizza exactly like NYC. It's easy to find because it has a giant tacky statue of liberty on top of the restaurant. But don't let it fool you, the NYC ambiance and excellent food make you feel like you're in NYC, GO TRY IT!!

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: July 24, 2005 12:15AM

I dunno, when I want authentic Italian, I want it to come from, I dunno, Italy.

Fuck New York City and everyone in it. You guys miss the food there so bad then go back.

Posted by: asnpcwiz ()
Date: July 28, 2005 09:07AM

I dunno Rstidman, I don't think the plane ticket to Italy is worth the price just for a slice of pizza...although it is amazing from there. Completely different too. Funny thing is that in the states I can't have pizza any other way then with pepporoni, tons of cheese, sauce, etc...it's got to be piled high. In Italy, they keep it sooooooo simple, but it's the best you'll ever have it.

Date: July 28, 2005 01:23PM

Pizza was originally quite a bit less than it is now... flat bread with olive oil, honey, and herbs.

Tomatos were considered to be poisonous at the time pizza was developed, people eventually learned better, and Naples' pizza shops became a draw from all over Italy.

Posted by: asnpcwiz ()
Date: July 29, 2005 01:57PM

Hmmmm...I love herb.

Posted by: mud ()
Date: July 29, 2005 09:10PM

Had Pomodoro last night. Pretty good. I'd give it a B+. The crust was hard as a rock at first, and difficult to cut. But the ingredients were good -- they don't use a whole lot of cheese but the toppings were ample. By the second piece, the crust softened up from the oil and sauce, and it sort of grew on me. The I could fold it over and eat it like God meant ya to.

Posted by: kklare ()
Date: July 30, 2005 10:30AM

had their fettucinni last week and I was not impressed. I'll try the place again, but i'll stick with the Olive Garden for good fettucinni for now on.

Posted by: Scot ()
Date: July 30, 2005 09:08PM

San Vito's has GREAT pasta. Had the carbanara last time I was there. About half way through I was so stuffed I couldn't eat another mouthful, but it was great.

Stick with the pizza at Pom.

Scot

Posted by: moldylogic (daniel) ()
Date: July 31, 2005 01:18AM

Uum "Olive Garden" is officially fast food, in being that everything is frozen/precooked. Also, if your against Mc Donalds, i hope you dont eat boston market
or chipotle.

-=::::::::::::::=-
-=: moldylogic :=-
-=::::::::::::::=-

... the largest non-organization
of non-members in the world. We
have no leaders, and no organization...

Posted by: kklare ()
Date: July 31, 2005 10:12AM

Maybe, but their fettucinne is the fuckin bomb.

Date: July 31, 2005 12:34PM

I seriously could care less if a place uses pre-made foods. Most restaurants that cost less than a body part do, you know. If a restaurant uses prepared vs a restaurant that doesn't, and it tastes better, than I will still choose it over the one that does not.

Because it's about taste, not food theory.

Date: July 31, 2005 12:35PM

Plus Kevin has dated a lot of italian women, so I trust he knows what good italian tastes like

/bad joke sorry

Posted by: Ken Brockman ()
Date: July 31, 2005 03:40PM

Tony's in Fairlakes is pretty good. Tony's daughter who sometimes used to work there is freaking hot. I cry myself to sleep because i'm so in love with her.

Posted by: face ()
Date: July 31, 2005 10:58PM

i got two words for ya...

jumbo slice!

Posted by: DrFunkenstien ()
Date: August 03, 2005 12:47PM

Italian Store...take the spout run exit off of 66east towards DC...it is right by the bicycle shop in the same complex as the giant/cvs/chevy chase bank

You have to go to NY to get better

Posted by: TimzSI ()
Date: March 29, 2006 08:26PM

Ken Brockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tony's in Fairlakes is pretty good. Tony's
> daughter who sometimes used to work there is
> freaking hot. I cry myself to sleep because i'm so
> in love with her.

John, the owner is a cool guy, and his wife marge is funny as hell. I think they used to have a pizza place on in WVa, or something? My Dad met them out there I think. Anyway yes, the daughter Maria is freaking gorgeous. I didn't realize she was becoming a local celeb tho. j/k :)

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: March 29, 2006 09:05PM

use to be a place on glebe & rt 50 called Nona Laura..was the fucn shit i miss laura

Posted by: Me ()
Date: March 30, 2006 12:16AM

Check out "Stone Hot Pizza" in the build america shopping center, behind Skyline towers, in the Falls Church area. Same shopping center as Prince and the other hookah bars

Awesome pizza.

Posted by: § ()
Date: March 30, 2006 10:40AM

Not sure if this was covered yet, but my vote goes to Buen Appetito in Chantilly. Best Pizza, Marsala dishes and Greek Salads I've had in this area. Pomodoro's isn't bad either, but their sauce tastes like Jerry's (yes, that oooh, oooh, Jerry's). -§

Posted by: BR ()
Date: March 30, 2006 01:00PM

I miss Mama Lucia's.

It used to be in Greenbriar, in that same freestanding structure Dunkin' Donuts is in. Best NY Style around at that time. I think they had another restaurant somewhere else, but I can't remember where.

Posted by: dude ()
Date: March 30, 2006 04:35PM

There's a Mamma Lucia's in Fairfax City in the Fair City Mall.

Posted by: § ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:51PM

That's right.....that Mama Lucia's has been there since the mid-80s. -§

Posted by: trekroner ()
Date: March 31, 2006 04:20PM

Pomodoro never disappoints, but I still give the edge to Ciro's in Centreville. I'd also recommend picking up a jar of their homemade marinara sauce, to cook with your own pasta. It beats the hell out of anything you'll find in the supermarkets.

A little further out in the Sterling/Cascades area is Don Corleone's Pizza. Very cool mafia theme, naturally; but their coal oven is as close to Lombardi's (NYC's finest) that I've come across in our region.

Posted by: WashingToneLoc-ian ()
Date: March 31, 2006 09:24PM

Mama Lucia's is okay. Tony's NY kicks ass. There is also one north of Manassas on 234. Bunch of scary looking goombahs from NYC run it. The cheese pie is the closest thing I have had to NYC down here.

Posted by: NumNut ()
Date: March 31, 2006 10:57PM

Trekroner wrote about Don Corleone's in Sterling. I ate there today for the first time and thought the exact same thing -- it tastes like Lombardi's in NYC. The mafia theme is a little strange, but those guys make an excellent pie. I especially recommend the Pizzad Margarita. Very limited seating, though, but that coal fired oven makes it worth it.

Posted by: trekroner ()
Date: April 01, 2006 12:00AM

NumNut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trekroner wrote about Don Corleone's in Sterling.
> I ate there today for the first time and thought
> the exact same thing -- it tastes like Lombardi's
> in NYC. The mafia theme is a little strange, but
> those guys make an excellent pie. I especially
> recommend the Pizzad Margarita. Very limited
> seating, though, but that coal fired oven makes it
> worth it.

I've been on a mission to find something at least comparable to Lombardi's down here, and Don Corleone's is the closest I've experienced so far.

In addition to the coal oven, it's really all in the fresh mozzarella and tomato sauce. Too many pizza joints think they have to smother the product with shredded cheese that fuses together into this thick, greasy blanket; when the best pizzas (for my taste, anyway) are achieved with just the right amount of fresh mozzarella slices.

Damn... now I want Lombardi's. :)
Attachments:
lombardis.jpg

Posted by: hey ()
Date: August 11, 2008 12:28AM

i hear old country buffet has great NY style pizza. You get all you can eat to... must be the crooks are good in the back

Posted by: Sterling ()
Date: August 11, 2008 07:07AM

Corleone's is the best I've had in this area, though I do like Ciro's too. Corleone's gets a better char on the the crust from their excellent oven. I work down the street and have recently discovered it.

Posted by: grade them all ()
Date: June 07, 2013 10:42PM

I'd give Pomodoro's a B+. TOny's and Ciro's get A's

Posted by: bumpers the goon ()
Date: June 26, 2013 12:41PM

bump

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.