HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Wearing a Mask in Public Illegal?
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: April 23, 2007 04:35PM

Do I read the crime reports correct - "charged with robbery, use of a firearm in commission of a felony, wearing a mask in public and eluding police."

So it's illegal in FFX County to wear a mask in public?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wearing a Mask in Public Illegal?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 23, 2007 04:43PM

It's a state law, and there are other states that have similar laws. I sorta remember hearing that the law in PA was enacted in order to stop public klan rallies, might be the same reason it's the law here too.

Date: April 23, 2007 05:04PM

Interesting, I guess that would also include burka's (an all-enveloping cloak worn by Muslim women)

Date: April 23, 2007 05:17PM

I found the law -

VIRGINIA Section 18.2-422:
Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.
It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing.

Exceptions
However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

Posted by: hold em' ()
Date: April 23, 2007 07:33PM

Wasn't it already deemed legal for a Klan guy to wear a mask for rallies? I thought it became illegal when they had it on and committed a crime.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 23, 2007 09:50PM

holy crap, a class 6 felony! thats a worse penalty than the class 1 misdemenor for impersonating a cop...

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: April 23, 2007 11:24PM

Yeah a felony does seem pretty crazy for that. I guess the forklift operator wearing a ski mask I saw moving crates in about 30 degree weather a couple months ago could have been a felon.

Date: April 24, 2007 12:06AM

I guess the forklift operator wearing a ski mask I saw

According to the VA statute that Lurker posted above, that forklift driver was completely legit.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: April 24, 2007 09:58AM

Masks are terribly comfortable, i think everyone should wear them

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 24, 2007 10:29PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to the VA statute that Lurker posted
> above, that forklift driver was completely legit.

Not so much, it says only if it is neccesaru for the safty and well being. If it wasnt cold enough for him to get frostbit than it wasnt neccesary. Call the cops.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: April 25, 2007 09:49PM

>
> Exceptions
> However, the provisions of this section shall not
> apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday
> costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades,
> employment or other activities and wearing
> protective masks which are deemed necessary for
> the physical safety of the wearer or other
> persons; (

What if you are a professional rapist?

Posted by: FairF4x0r ()
Date: April 25, 2007 11:21PM

Who would be paying the perp to rape people?

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: April 26, 2007 12:12AM

Lurker. Wrote:
> I found the law -
>
> VIRGINIA Section 18.2-422:

Holy Crap! It seems that burqas are in fact illegal in Virginia. There's no religious exemption.

Date: April 26, 2007 12:27AM

It seems that burqas are in fact illegal in Virginia. There's no religious exemption.

When has anyone ever seen a real burqa being worn in this county??

Burqa's are Taliban shit that they forced women to wear in Afghanistan. They don't wear them here.

Date: April 26, 2007 01:56PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> It seems that burqas are in fact illegal in
> Virginia. There's no religious exemption.
>
> When has anyone ever seen a real burqa being worn
> in this county??
>
> Burqa's are Taliban shit that they forced women to
> wear in Afghanistan. They don't wear them here.

Ive seen women in Burqa's walking around Tysons Mall with their families. My Uncle who was in Iraq says the troops call them "Ninja-MILFS"

Date: April 26, 2007 05:16PM

I've often wondered if the terrorists, like Osama Bin Laden, use burqa's to sneak around.

Date: April 26, 2007 05:41PM

well ive read in the new of them capturing top level insurgents in the middle east masquerading as women in Burqas so why not here as well?

Date: April 26, 2007 05:56PM

ferfux Wrote:

> Ive seen women in Burqa's walking around Tysons
> Mall with their families. My Uncle who was in
> Iraq says the troops call them "Ninja-MILFS"

Same here. I've seem them on many occasions in Tysons. These are the full body burqa's too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2007 05:57PM by trogdor!.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 30, 2007 11:19AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Burqa's are Taliban shit that they forced women to
> wear in Afghanistan. They don't wear them here.

WRONG! there are plenty of girls at GMU that wear them. the most extreme one i saw was also wearing gloves and reflective sunglasses so that 0% skin was showing. if it was white, you would think she was a ghost as there was not visible figure of it being a person.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: SeanPatrick ()
Date: June 29, 2007 09:54AM

I was stopped by a trooper for wearing a mask while riding my motorcycle.
I had no idea. I am a bit confused. Read this from the VIRGINIA Section 18.2-422:
>"or other activities and wearing
> persons; "
Doesn’t this mean me? A motorcycle rider wearing a mask in order to protect my face (bugs or asphalt).
Does anyone know of any court cases where this law was challenged and ruled in favor of the defendant?

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: June 29, 2007 10:46PM

Good luck challenging the law.... It has been on the book since at least the 60s in New York and still illegal. If you are seen walking around NYC with a ski mask - even if it 10 degrees below 0 and snowing, cops have been known to literally walk up to the person and take the ski mask without warning.

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: July 13, 2007 10:31PM

Two young men walked from a busy side road, into a shopping center parking lot wearing camoflauge pants, black shirts, and gas masks. Yes, full face gas masks.

As I sat in my car (waiting on my wife) in front of the store, they came close enough to verify they were indeed masked, and heading for the store. Right as they got 200 ft away, a marked State Police cruiser came pulling in and stopped in front of them, preventing them from moving further. It seemed as if a discussion was taking place and the masks were removed. The officer, who was wearing a white t-shirt, was more than likely, off duty. He circled the parking lot twice.

Since the pair headed inside the store, I parked the car and headed over to see about hurrying my wife. Two marked Fairfax cruisers pulled up and the officers went inside, right as my wife came out the door.

As they promptly brought the pair out, a paddy wagon and third FFX cruiser came into view. Patdowns and more discussion took place and they were released.

While it now seems as if this was just a couple of young men acting strange, or by code - illegally, I thank the Fairfax Police Dept. for the rapid response. Apparently they were walking through a neighborhood in their gear, causing more civil unrest around that community.

Date: July 13, 2007 11:35PM

ONOZ, THEY HAVE MASKS! people are such stupid fucking pussies.

just wondering, what about someone wearing a costume like some mickey mouse bullshit for a kids party or something like a carnival? could a painted face count as a mask? if you are good with face painting, you can make some very disguising face paintings.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: ya ()
Date: July 13, 2007 11:38PM

Gravis Wrote:
> ONOZ, THEY HAVE MASKS! people are such stupid
> fucking pussies.
>

Welcome to Fairfax County, where anyone over 40 is a fucking pussy scared little bitch. Two kids with masks....
Hurry honey we gotta get outta here before they blow up the world!

Date: July 14, 2007 10:10AM

Gravis Wrote:
> ONOZ, THEY HAVE MASKS! people are such stupid
> fucking pussies.
>
> just wondering, what about someone wearing a
> costume like some mickey mouse bullshit for a kids
> party or something like a carnival? could a
> painted face count as a mask? if you are good
> with face painting, you can make some very
> disguising face paintings.

Lurker posted this earlier -

VIRGINIA Section 18.2-422:
Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.
It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing.

Exceptions
However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

It wasn't Halloween and gas masks / fatigues worn in this manner, are suspect behavior. Especially on a hot summer night.

Date: July 14, 2007 04:17PM

Burkas clearly violate the letter of the law...but never prosecuted.

Also, what is a " bona fide theatrical production"?

Does it include street theater? That seems very vague to me. Maybe if you put up fliers of your life-long theatrical production "Man With A Mask" you're in the clear. Or maybe a website where you offer tickets to your 'show'.

Posted by: hold em' ()
Date: July 14, 2007 04:21PM

I have seen bus drivers for the Islamic academy wearing the full body burkas.
In my opinion it is very dangerous, it not only prevents side to side vision it also can tangle up in the steering wheel.

Date: July 15, 2007 10:42PM

hold em' Wrote:
> I have seen bus drivers for the Islamic academy
> wearing the full body burkas.
> In my opinion it is very dangerous, it not only
> prevents side to side vision it also can tangle up
> in the steering wheel.

i agree. for all of you that are dodging the law, this is the perfect disguise for you. :)

Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: July 17, 2007 07:25PM

I used to see a few girls with Burqa's in high school, in summer school.

Actually, I think there is more than one form of Islamic all-covering clothing, and I'm not sure the Burqa is the most common form. I think they have something else in Persia and Arabia.

Posted by: vicki ()
Date: October 25, 2007 10:46PM

My son is going up on tresspassing charges from Fair Oaks Mall for being with a friend in a bunny suit. They were there fooling around. My son was kicked out of the mall for being with the bunny suit guy(mask, don't cha know...felony...oh pleaaaaase?) one day, never told when he was allowed to come back. They went back the next day and being neanderthals, friend wore the bunny suit again but they did not see him with my son. Son arrested on tresspassing charges...for what? Being kicked out of the mall by association the first day? Or, tresspassing when he did not know he when he was allowed back? Please give me some input. This law first started when kkk was in force (different by one number in case law) and continued with masked robbers. Where do they (or he...bunny suit bad guy) fit in? Thanks for the input.

Date: October 25, 2007 11:01PM

vicki Wrote:
> My son is going up on tresspassing charges from
> Fair Oaks Mall for being with a friend in a bunny
> suit. They were there fooling around. My son was
> kicked out of the mall for being with the bunny
> suit guy(mask, don't cha know...felony...oh
> pleaaaaase?) one day, never told when he was
> allowed to come back. They went back the next day
> and being neanderthals, friend wore the bunny suit
> again but they did not see him with my son. Son
> arrested on tresspassing charges...for what?
> Being kicked out of the mall by association the
> first day? Or, tresspassing when he did not know
> he when he was allowed back? Please give me some
> input. This law first started when kkk was in
> force (different by one number in case law) and
> continued with masked robbers. Where do they (or
> he...bunny suit bad guy) fit in? Thanks for the
> input.

If one is asked to leave and then comes back, it can be considered tresspassing.

I cannot speak for Fair Oaks Mgmt. however, if I ask you tl leave where I have authority to do so - and you come back, you are tresspassing, period.

I would not say when it is ok to return and just because it is a shopping mall in your (son's) case, that does not allow for free return. It is private property, same as tresspassing in ones yard, or another place of business.

Your post makes me wonder why in Govt. classes, the basics of law are not taught. Or so it seems...

Posted by: Cosplay enthusiast ()
Date: March 06, 2012 09:39PM

Given my experience, at Anime Cons, you're off the hook, too. Unfortunately for me, I can't accomplish my current life goal of casually dressing up as Turkey from Hetalia on a regular day, unless I'm at home.

Posted by: Burqwhat? ()
Date: March 07, 2012 12:39AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> When has anyone ever seen a real burqa being worn in this county??

Most of the (hundreds of) females in my building (and around the neighborhood) wear them. From face-hiding to full-on head-to-toe covering.

I live in Skyline (Bailey's Crossroads).

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: March 07, 2012 07:23AM

Burqwhat? Wrote:
> Most of the (hundreds of) females in my building
> (and around the neighborhood) wear them. From
> face-hiding to full-on head-to-toe covering.

Just an aside - there is nothing in Islamic faith that requires covering up a female - that is a cultural thing from specific regions:

http://www.quran-islam.org/articles/part_3/the_burqa_%28P1357%29.html

Posted by: Cheeseitorwereboned ()
Date: January 04, 2016 02:05AM

Bringing thos dinosaur thread back sorry. It has occured to me that our gallant SWAT in posers fatigues all wear balaclavas. These do not protect from gas or anything and their identities aren't kept secret for their safety. In virginia anyone can make a citizens arrest to stop a felony. Who's with me?

Posted by: U67HY ()
Date: January 04, 2016 06:47AM

Obviously, the Code of Virginia cannot trump (ha ha) religious freedom as set forth in the Constitution. I don't know that it invalidates the entire code section though.

Posted by: messed up law bro ()
Date: January 04, 2016 12:45PM

so you cannot wear a mask for running, cycling, skiing or sledding? You would wear them for comfort not 'safety'

that is a messed up law bro

Posted by: dYUtt ()
Date: January 04, 2016 04:20PM

We could fix this with simple mask registry.

Posted by: maskedman11 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 04:37PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> I found the law -
>
> VIRGINIA Section 18.2-422:
> Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places;
> exceptions.
> It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen
> years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other
> device whereby a substantial portion of the face
> is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity
> of the wearer, to be or appear in any public
> place, or upon any private property in this
> Commonwealth without first having obtained from
> the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in
> writing.
>
> Exceptions
> However, the provisions of this section shall not
> apply to persons (i) wearing traditional
> holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions,
> trades, employment or other activities and wearing
> persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical
> production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a
> mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical
> reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or
> osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit
> from the physician or osteopath specifying the
> medical necessity for wearing the device and the
> date on which the wearing of the device will no
> longer be necessary and providing a brief
> description of the device.
The violation of
> any provisions of this section shall constitute a
> Class 6 felony.

Was looking for something specifically stating because it's effin cold out.

Posted by: TNNM6h ()
Date: January 04, 2016 06:40PM

If it is cold out, you obviously can wear a mask for your physical safety. As for riding a motorcycle, it should be ok. A dickhead cop can of course still write a ticket just as easily as he can shoot you, but a with proper legal representation you should be able to not only get off but come out ahead. A full face helmet obscures everything anyway, especially with a shaded visor

Posted by: CXeC7 ()
Date: January 04, 2016 07:13PM

So I can wear a helmet into a bank, but not a mask?

Posted by: Common Sense Again ()
Date: January 04, 2016 07:15PM

Try wearing a helmet into a bank. See what happens.

Posted by: learned my lesson ()
Date: January 04, 2016 10:08PM

Common Sense Again Wrote:
> Try wearing a helmet into a bank. See what
> happens.

Try buying a gun at Blue Ridge Arsenal and asking where they sell ski masks

Posted by: asjkhcjjrhj ()
Date: January 04, 2016 10:15PM

If they can wear a mask, so can I. After all, it is my religious belief that I can wear a mask anytime I want.
Attachments:
burka.jpg

Posted by: Guys can wear burkas ()
Date: January 05, 2016 07:35AM

So just wear a burka. Who is going to know your a dude? If anyone challenges you and looks up your skirt, sue them for Transgender discrimination.

Posted by: h3MDC ()
Date: January 05, 2016 09:22AM

U67HY Wrote:
> Obviously, the Code of Virginia cannot trump (ha
> ha) religious freedom as set forth in the
> Constitution.

So human sacrifice is OK then?

You can prohibit certain religious rituals if they violate a criminal statute of general application adopted for nondiscriminatory reasons.

Posted by: erkjrcgf ()
Date: January 05, 2016 09:26AM

h3MDC Wrote:

> So human sacrifice is OK then?
>
> You can prohibit certain religious rituals if they
> violate a criminal statute of general application
> adopted for nondiscriminatory reasons.

Obama is pro-ISIS and they behead people. So yes I guess human sacrifice is just fine.

It's discriminatory if someone can wear a burka but I cannot wear a mask, you know, for my religious beliefs.

Posted by: safety??? ()
Date: January 05, 2016 09:38AM

TNNM6h Wrote:
> If it is cold out, you obviously can wear a mask
> for your physical safety. As for riding a
> motorcycle, it should be ok. A dickhead cop can
> of course still write a ticket just as easily as
> he can shoot you, but a with proper legal
> representation you should be able to not only get
> off but come out ahead. A full face helmet
> obscures everything anyway, especially with a
> shaded visor

Safety? You would have a hard time proving you were 'unsafe' except in case of frost bite. So if the wind chill is above say 10 degrees F (actually pretty hard to get frost bite at that temp if you are out less than an hour) its illegal bro...

Posted by: jdkhcbgj ()
Date: January 05, 2016 10:04AM

safety??? Wrote:
> TNNM6h Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If it is cold out, you obviously can wear a
> mask
> > for your physical safety. As for riding a
> > motorcycle, it should be ok. A dickhead cop
> can
> > of course still write a ticket just as easily
> as
> > he can shoot you, but a with proper legal
> > representation you should be able to not only
> get
> > off but come out ahead. A full face helmet
> > obscures everything anyway, especially with a
> > shaded visor
>
> Safety? You would have a hard time proving you
> were 'unsafe' except in case of frost bite. So if
> the wind chill is above say 10 degrees F (actually
> pretty hard to get frost bite at that temp if you
> are out less than an hour) its illegal bro...

Well, I will just wear a burka. Actually, criminals should all wear burkas. It's not like the authorities can ask people to not wear them.

Posted by: masquerade ()
Date: January 05, 2016 06:42PM

safety??? Wrote:
> TNNM6h Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If it is cold out, you obviously can wear a
> mask
> > for your physical safety. As for riding a
> > motorcycle, it should be ok. A dickhead cop
> can
> > of course still write a ticket just as easily
> as
> > he can shoot you, but a with proper legal
> > representation you should be able to not only
> get
> > off but come out ahead. A full face helmet
> > obscures everything anyway, especially with a
> > shaded visor
>
> Safety? You would have a hard time proving you
> were 'unsafe' except in case of frost bite. So if
> the wind chill is above say 10 degrees F (actually
> pretty hard to get frost bite at that temp if you
> are out less than an hour) its illegal bro...

I would have no reservation about wearing a mask any time the temperature was below freezing. Hypothermia is even a possibility at higher temperatures.

Posted by: WxTbY ()
Date: January 05, 2016 11:09PM

are you in public when your in a company owned STORE?

NO, DUMB ASS

Posted by: Cheeseitorwereboned ()
Date: January 05, 2016 11:24PM

Actually it says you need permission from the property owner. Just ask when you're having him empty the register

Posted by: Thanks Coronas ()
Date: April 28, 2020 03:59PM

Legal now

Posted by: Like this one? ()
Date: April 28, 2020 04:28PM

How fitting...
Attachments:
EBDB4C3A-17D6-4573-9117-D40DB0B47C9C.png

Posted by: Only applies to noggggs ()
Date: April 29, 2020 07:47AM

Law only applies to wooly headed monkeys....

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.