HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Drug usage in FCPS
Posted by: holy shit ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:14PM

This isn't all exactly new information to me, but I bet a lot of the parents and teachers are shocked... I'm surprised they got this printed at all, but it's cool that they did.

http://www.oaktonoutlook.com/wordpress/?p=1010

INSIDE OAKTON'S DRUG COMMUNITY

“I had one night where I think I had done cocaine, Oxycontin, Xanax, and I was drunk. And then every time I would snort a line of cocaine, I would throw up like two seconds after… I did that for like eight lines before I was like ‘this is probably bad,’” recalled 18-year-old Alex*. “Then I really don’t remember much, except that I woke up in the backyard of that guy’s house the next morning. It was a bad experience at the time because I felt really sick—I don’t know why I kept going.”

Alex, a former Oakton student, started abusing illegal substances as early as seventh grade and has since experimented with a wide range of highly-addictive drugs. While Alex’s story is uncommon within the Oakton community, he represents a small and often overlooked subset of the student body that has taken drug experimentation to the next level.

When Westfield High School made headlines in 2008 for a heroin scandal that left several students dead, the issue of hard drug use (strong and addictive controlled substances) was still largely regarded as “someone else’s problem.”
“I don’t think hard drugs are really used at Oakton,” explains one senior girl. “I know people who drink and smoke weed, but nothing like heroin or cocaine or anything like that.”

The issue may be somewhat masked within a school focused on AP testing and college placement, where people are afraid to discuss drug usage and acknowledge that it’s a problem.

“I think it’s a lot safer to think it’s not happening where you live, where you’re raising your kids, in your school, in your kids’ school,” explains Oakton’s Psychologist Rebecca Bernatos. “Throughout history, things that’re taboo to talk about—or, that scare people—are sometimes avoided because it’s easier to think ‘let’s not bring this up or discuss it, because what if we find out it’s the truth.’”
While hard drugs may be the most controversial, marijuana is said to be the most prevalent drug.
“Drug offenses are not something we see happening on a weekly basis,” said Rick Mey, student resource officer. “The most common thing we see is marijuana and prescription drugs.”

Oakton has a full spectrum of drug users within its walls. Starting at students who abstain entirely from substances, all the way to the rare, yet existent, group of students like Alex, who have ventured to cocaine and heroin use.
“On one end, there are kids who are getting messed up every weekend, addicted to stuff,” explains one student, “and then there are kids who have no idea that this is even happening. Like, your lab partner in science might be high when you’re doing your experiment and you have no idea.”

---

"I just wanted more."

Alex doesn’t remember much about his last day at Oakton, but he knows that the Cha Cha Slide had something to do with it.

“I took some amount of Percocet, and a couple Soma… and then they mixed to form some sort of terrible combination that made it very obvious that I was intoxicated in my German class,” Alex remembers. “I remember sitting next to [a friend] that tried to calm me down, but the kid behind me knew I was intoxicated and kept leaning forward and going ‘everybody clap your hands,’ and I’d do it because I was [messed] up.”

Since his expulsion, Alex has attended two different high schools, attended three different outpatient drug treatment facilities (he was kicked out of one), completed one inpatient substance abuse program and been to jail twice. He’s been arrested more times than he can count. Technically, he’s not even allowed on FCPS property.

Although he first began to experiment with hard drugs while attending Oakton, Alex said the kids he uses with come from many different schools and backgrounds.
“It’s a few people from a lot of different schools — I don’t know really how we got to know each other,” Alex said. “I guess it’s because one kid would get expelled and sent to a new school, and then they’d make new friends there and combine friend groups.”

Alex didn’t start using drugs with the intention of becoming a regular user. In the beginning, it was pure curiosity that led him to drugs like Oxycontin, cocaine and heroin.

“For a long time, I thought I was being, like, cheated out of parts of my consciousness, and that I should be able to experience all of them and if I didn’t do every drug then I wasn’t able to explore certain feelings of well-being that I could have,” Alex said. “And then after that it just sort of became ‘oh, this is fun, I guess I’ll keep doing this.’”

Curiosity is often the catalyst for a drug habit.

“I think experimentation is scary because it can lead somewhere really scary,” Bernatos explains. “You’re betting that it won’t lead to something lifelong, but it’s like rolling the dice. It could lead to a lifelong addiction that could affect the rest of you life. You might not finish school, you might not have a career, you might even end up homeless… The ‘what if’ is the scary part. Like, what if you’re the one person that experiments, but experiments again and again and it becomes a daily habit?”

At this point, Alex doesn’t consider himself an addict, though he does claim to have had an opiate addiction.

“That was a painful experience,” Alex said. “I had to go to rehab and just not do them.”

But rehab isn’t always enough to conquer addiction, nor is success guaranteed to be permanent.

“Even with good treatment, relapses are likely. There are actual changes in the brain that can trigger cravings, even for someone who has been sober for a long time,” said Gayathri Dowling, deputy chief of the Science Policy Branch at the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Patrick*, a current Oakton student, describes his experience of withdrawal from the prescription anti-anxiety medication Xanax.
“That was bad. When I came off of it, I didn’t see people for like three days—I just basically sat alone in my room, didn’t eat, didn’t talk to people, didn’t care about my work or anything… I just wanted more Xanax.”

While both Patrick* and Alex acknowledge that their relationships with their family members have been affected by drugs, both say their parents have become somewhat desensitized to it all.

“Originally, [my parents] were horrified, but now they’ve sort of come to accept it,” Alex said. “Actually, it’s sort of depressing, but I think they just think of it as a part of life. Like, I’ll come home, and I’ll be really high, and they’ll be like ‘Great. You still have all these chores to do. Have fun doing them while you’re [messed] up.’”

Despite his record, Alex still hopes to make something of himself. “I still have aspirations, even though I use drugs,” Alex said. “I want to be an architect and build houses…. I’m probably going to go to NoVA, then hopefully transfer to a nice Virginia school.”

---

“Don’t have to look like a pothead”

John* doesn’t stand out too much from the crowd. He plays a varsity sport, takes multiple AP classes and maintains a decent GPA. What his teachers and peers would probably be surprised to find out, however, is that he distributed marijuana for over two years.

“[Selling] was such an adrenaline rush,” John* remembers. “I’d be driving along with [so much marijuana] and cash. It was pretty ridiculous. I think about it and I’m like, ‘how did I not get caught’? I’m glad I got out when I did. I stopped because everyone else was getting busted. It’s too much of a risk.”

While not quite a social norm, marijuana usage is certainly widespread within the Oakton community and Fairfax County at large. According to the 2008 Fairfax County Youth Survey report, 38.1 percent of 12th graders reported having used marijuana within their lifetimes, while 17.3 percent admitted to having used it within the last 30 days.

“So many people at Oakton smoke—all kinds of kids,” John* said. “There’s no certain look or group. Yeah, you have the kids who wear the Marley shirts and beanies, but I think at Oakton there are all kinds of different kids, from all kinds of different cliques, that smoke weed.”

Because it’s so widespread, marijuana use is not always concentrated into specific social cliques.

“You can’t just look at someone who wears real preppy clothes and say, ‘You’re wearing a polo, there’s no way you smoke,’” John* said. “That’s not the case at all at Oakton. So many kids smoke. They don’t have to look like a pothead—most of the kids who smoke all the time don’t even look like potheads.”
The high rates of marijuana usage within the Oakton community can be attributed to the availability of the drug.

“It does differ from school to school and from place to place, partly because of what is available,” explains Susan Weiss, chief of the Science Policy Branch of the National Institute on Drug Abuse. “We know, for instance… that there are pockets in the country where methamphetamine abuse is much higher than in other places. It also matters what the prevailing attitude of the community is: whether or not drug use is cool or not, etc.”

And because there are Oakton students who distribute marijuana to their peers, John* said it is not hard to find.

“Weed is absolutely easier to get than alcohol. Anyone can get weed,” he said. “You know who sells it, you know who smokes.”

---

“I don’t remember what I did”

Like many Oakton students, Emily*, an Oakton senior, has a Friday night routine: after telling her parents that she’s going to a sleepover, she’ll meet up with a group of friends and search for a party to go to, where they’re guaranteed to find good music, cute guys and plenty of alcohol.

“I think the older you get, the more people party,” she said. “I don’t think that many kids drink all the time, but I do think there are a lot of people who do drink on occasion.”

And as students grow older, alcohol use becomes increasingly prevalent. According to the 2008 Fairfax County Youth Survey, 71.7 percent of FCPS seniors have consumed alcohol. This is a significant increase over sophomores, with 57.9 percent reporting lifetime alcohol use.

Emily* said that as she’s grown older, her attitude toward alcohol has become significantly more relaxed.

“Freshman year, I would’ve never even thought of drinking or smoking; I thought that would be a huge sin,” she said. “But now I try to party every weekend. I definitely have stopped caring as much about the rules and have become sneakier behind my parents’ backs.”

Students believe alcohol to be the illegal substance most accepted and expected by adults and their peers.

“My parents are generally really chill about it, as long as we respect them and talk to them when they come downstairs,” explains Kevin*, a former Oakton student who regularly throws parties with alcohol. “My mom knows what we do; she just passes it off as teenagers being teenagers. So she’s fine with it—she doesn’t mind the drinking, as long as we clean it up. Pretty much as long as we clean up afterwards, everything is fine.”

Like their children, the attitude of parents toward alcohol use can become more laid back as their kids grow older.

“I’ve thrown four parties at my house throughout high school when my parents were away and they found out about two of them,” Emily* said. “The first time was sophomore year and my parents were shocked and really mad, but the second time was this year so they didn’t really care as much. I think it’s more accepted that I drink now that I’m a senior and about to go to college.”

Many students choose to drink because of the impact it has on their mood and personality.

“I feel like when I party, it brings out the part of me that likes to be the center of attention, which is the person that I like to be,” Kevin* said. “I like being the center of attention.”

However, those same qualities that students enjoy while drunk (a carefree attitude, recklessness, the desire to be friendly and have fun) often lead to unintended consequences that can lead to humiliation later on.

“Definitely, a big thing that I’m embarrassed about is if I ever don’t remember what I did the night before, or if I hook up with someone I shouldn’t have,” Emily* said. “Or if I act stupid or get sick, you can’t take it back and it’s really embarrassing.”

In addition to embarrassment, the decisions students make while intoxicated can be extremely dangerous.

“I don’t think kids are really safe at all when they’re drinking,” Emily said. “I know I’ve driven drunk once, and I know girls and guys that do it a lot. People just make dumb choices when they drink. My friends and I usually just sleep at the house that the party is at so we don’t drive drunk.”

-------------

“I wouldn’t want to risk anything”

It would be false to say that Oakton students are drug free or free from drug-related problems. However, the problems are not unique to this community.

“I’ve worked at three different high schools [in Fairfax County],” Officer Mey said. “All three had different demographics of students, but all high schools are going to have students who use alcohol and drugs.”

Although students within the Oakton community may have drug problems, the Fairfax County statistics are below national averages. Using drugs is far from paramount in maintaining a social life.

“I’ve never really felt all that pressured,” said senior Erin Turley. “I mean, I’ve been offered alcohol before and have had the opportunity, but I’ve never been in a situation where I felt bad for being sober.”

Throughout her high school career, Erin chose to abstain from using controlled substances, a choice that students make regularly. They may be concerned for their futures, choosing to obey the law and their parents or simply are not interested.

“I’ve just always thought that because academics and sports are so important to me, I wouldn’t want to risk anything by drinking or doing drugs,” she said. “It’s just not something I wanted to get involved in during high school.”

Erin’s choice puts her at less of a risk for the social, physical and mental complications assosiated with drug use.

“Studies have reported that drugs cause loss in life satisfaction, more physical problems, problems with relationships; almost all aspects of your life can be effected by abusing drugs,“ Weiss said. “I certainly wouldn’t want anyone to give up on their aspirations, and help for drug addiction is always available, but they do need to realize that these drugs can have quite devastating effects and can take over their lives.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drug usage in FCPS
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:15PM

Oakton is still a relatively good school. Drug use is simply a factor of life these days.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Date: April 21, 2010 11:21PM

Oh, I'm sorry... I wasn't trying to imply that it wasn't still a good school. That wasn't my intention in the least.

ThePackLeader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oakton is still a relatively good school. Drug use
> is simply a factor of life these days.

Posted by: Tigerstyle ()
Date: April 21, 2010 11:39PM

Only losers don't smoke pot in high school

Posted by: barry ()
Date: April 22, 2010 12:15AM

obama cocaine poster Pictures, Images and Photos

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 22, 2010 01:49AM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> Oakton is still a relatively good school. Drug use
> is simply a factor of life these days.

not if we execute everyone on sight that is caught using them.

that's real zero-tolerance.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: April 22, 2010 02:33AM

Well, one thing is for sure. That if they started executing people for masturbation, you would be on a highway to hell in a hand basket. Get it 'hand' basket! Yuk yuk yuk, I kill myself.

Posted by: teacher ()
Date: April 22, 2010 11:35AM

FCPS teachers are NOT shocked by this.

Posted by: ugh ()
Date: April 22, 2010 01:56PM

Troll@AOL Wrote:
I kill myself.

Please do.

Posted by: Anonymous73 ()
Date: April 22, 2010 02:30PM

While I am not shocked by the contents of this article, I am disturbed by the level of acceptance by parents for these behaviors. Do parents not realize that their children can die of alcohol poisoning? Also do they not realize that a lot of young women who are sexually assaulted, especially at college, are also intoxicated at the time? I find it disturbing that parents look the other way at drug and alcohol use in high school as long as the grades and test scores are high.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 22, 2010 03:00PM

Anonymous73 Wrote:
> While I am not shocked by the contents of this
> article, I am disturbed by the level of acceptance
> by parents for these behaviors. Do parents not
> realize that their children can die of alcohol
> poisoning? Also do they not realize that a lot of
> young women who are sexually assaulted, especially
> at college, are also intoxicated at the time? I
> find it disturbing that parents look the other way
> at drug and alcohol use in high school as long as
> the grades and test scores are high.

The parents look the other way becuase they did it when they were that age. The age limit was put in place and so more and more people underage began using. You are retarded if you think that making something illegal will make people use it less. If the drinking age was lowered to 19, like it is in Canada, then there would be less high schoolers drinking, less massive college parties, and less sexual assaults. Since it is illegal, it is the cool thing to do.

Date: April 23, 2010 10:49AM

This is probably true. Same for marijuana.

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Anonymous73 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > While I am not shocked by the contents of this
> > article, I am disturbed by the level of
> acceptance
> > by parents for these behaviors. Do parents not
> > realize that their children can die of alcohol
> > poisoning? Also do they not realize that a lot
> of
> > young women who are sexually assaulted,
> especially
> > at college, are also intoxicated at the time?
> I
> > find it disturbing that parents look the other
> way
> > at drug and alcohol use in high school as long
> as
> > the grades and test scores are high.
>
>
> The parents look the other way becuase they did it
> when they were that age. The age limit was put in
> place and so more and more people underage began
> using. You are retarded if you think that making
> something illegal will make people use it less. If
> the drinking age was lowered to 19, like it is in
> Canada, then there would be less high schoolers
> drinking, less massive college parties, and less
> sexual assaults. Since it is illegal, it is the
> cool thing to do.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.