HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Will Fairfax County Public Schools be able to transport students in the future?
Posted by: Empty School Bus ()
Date: May 28, 2020 05:40PM

Read the CDC guidelines for transporting students on school buses.

One student per seat
One empty seat between each student
Bus to be totally sanitized between runs
Each student shall wear face mask during trip
No field trips

So if a bus has 22 seats it can only transport 11 students

Go to CDC website and read for yourself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will Fairfax County Public Schools be able to transport students in the future?
Posted by: l9jyn ()
Date: May 28, 2020 06:12PM

Empty School Bus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Read the CDC guidelines for transporting students
> on school buses.
>
> One student per seat
> One empty seat between each student
> Bus to be totally sanitized between runs
> Each student shall wear face mask during trip
> No field trips
>
> So if a bus has 22 seats it can only transport 11
> students
>
> Go to CDC website and read for yourself.

It's worse than that. Not just a empty seat next to, but in front of and behind. So if a bus has 24 seats you would transport 6 students.

__ __ __S__

__S__ __ __

__ __ __S__

__S__ __ __

__ __ __S__

__S__ __ __

__D__

Re: Will Fairfax County Public Schools be able to transport students in the future?
Posted by: l9jyn ()
Date: May 28, 2020 06:15PM

l9jyn Wrote:
> Empty School Bus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Read the CDC guidelines for transporting
> students
> > on school buses.
> >
> > One student per seat
> > One empty seat between each student
> > Bus to be totally sanitized between runs
> > Each student shall wear face mask during trip
> > No field trips
> >
> > So if a bus has 22 seats it can only transport
> 11
> > students
> >
> > Go to CDC website and read for yourself.
>
>
> It's worse than that. Not just a empty seat next
> to, but in front of and behind. So if a bus has 24
> seats you would transport 6 students.
>
>
> __ __ __S__
>
> __S__ __ __
>
> __ __ __S__
>
> __S__ __ __
>
> __ __ __S__
>
> __S__ __ __
>
> __D__

Crap! That didn't work.:-) Anyway 6 rows with 4 seats each. One child per row and then the driver.

Date: May 28, 2020 06:27PM

Reason I ask is there is a bus stop on our street where 8 high school student get on, and another stop at the end of the block where 6 more get on on.

So how is this going to work? More buses?

Posted by: I am not a bus driver! ()
Date: May 28, 2020 06:34PM

From what I have heard they plan on doing staggered in class and distance learning so that all students will not be in school at the same time. So I would think that in your case, not all 14 students at those two stops would be going to school on the same day, so one bus would accomodate them. If not, I think they are planning on more runs. No way they can get all the additional buses and hire drivers between now and September.

Date: May 28, 2020 06:44PM

But here is the thing, that bus is full when it arrives a school, 50 + students

Even if they run at 25% that is still too many per CDC guidelines

Posted by: seven figure city.... ()
Date: May 28, 2020 07:22PM

Empty School Bus Wrote:
> Reason I ask is there is a bus stop on our street
> where 8 high school student get on, and another
> stop at the end of the block where 6 more get on
> on.
>
> So how is this going to work? More buses?

HS?

Tell them to get on a fucking bike.

Posted by: possible, but costly ()
Date: May 28, 2020 07:23PM

You could probably do it if you stagger the start and finish times much further apart. It would be more expensive though.

Posted by: I am not a bus driver! ()
Date: May 28, 2020 07:38PM

seven figure city.... Wrote:
> Empty School Bus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Reason I ask is there is a bus stop on our
> street
> > where 8 high school student get on, and another
> > stop at the end of the block where 6 more get
> on
> > on.
> >
> > So how is this going to work? More buses?
>
> HS?
>
> Tell them to get on a fucking bike.

Ever tried to ride a bicycle from Frying Pan Park to Oakton H.S.? Look at some of the school boundaries. No fucking way to get from home to school unless you are on a bus or in a car.

Posted by: COVID is a big Change to Hours ()
Date: May 28, 2020 08:08PM

Current plans are for buses to stager pickup times and increase the number of buses. The county is going to hire about 500 more buses and add them to routes.

Student will alternate days and go on longer days. So some students go Monday and Wednesday and Friday for 10 hour days. Then other students go Tuesday, Wednesday for longer days. That schedule alternates on different weeks.

Posted by: simple answers ()
Date: May 28, 2020 09:25PM

500 extra buses won't cover it

Posted by: Old Guy ()
Date: May 28, 2020 10:50PM

To think that there's more risk to children from the seasonal flu (6 deaths in VA last year) than from COVID-19 (0 deaths).

And there's absolutely no science that says children spread the virus. There's only expert opinions, and they've frequently been wrong.

And even if children did spread SARS-COV-2, it's less burden on society to protect those who are at risk then to lock down children and deny them school and personal relationships.

This state's strategy sucks.

Posted by: Ridiculous ()
Date: May 28, 2020 11:06PM

It's insanity. Why are people so cowardly as to not see through these reopening guidelines as being totally based in fantasy and not science? Just cancel school after a certain age and get people working vs. this ridiculousness.

It's almost like they're chasing people out of the area. Who will pay the crazy high property taxes if there's an exodus to other areas in the country?

Posted by: 7ggck ()
Date: May 28, 2020 11:13PM

They're bureaucrats and admin drones. You don't actually expect any real thinking out of this group do you? Especially collectively.

Posted by: I am not a bus driver ()
Date: June 03, 2020 07:37PM

So here is a good image of what I tried to "draw" before with the one seat every other row concept for FFX County school buses. Have never ridden on VRE, but I thought those trains leaving Manassas Park in the morning were pretty full. Back to the car on I66 for you!

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2020/06/vre-seating-is-now-every-other-window-seat/

Railcar202.jpg

Posted by: Bringbackcommonsense ()
Date: June 03, 2020 09:28PM

Ridiculous Wrote:
> It's insanity. Why are people so cowardly as to
> not see through these reopening guidelines as
> being totally based in fantasy and not science?
> Just cancel school after a certain age and get
> people working vs. this ridiculousness.
>
> It's almost like they're chasing people out of the
> area. Who will pay the crazy high property taxes
> if there's an exodus to other areas in the
> country?

I agree. Everything I hear lately is stupid. How can. Live and work surrounded by idiots. Ahhhhhh. I hate FAIRFAX now. Idiots idiots idiots.

Posted by: Can’tbelievemyeyes ()
Date: June 03, 2020 09:31PM

COVID is a big Change to Hours Wrote:
> Current plans are for buses to stager pickup times
> and increase the number of buses. The county is
> going to hire about 500 more buses and add them to
> routes.
>
> Student will alternate days and go on longer days.
> So some students go Monday and Wednesday and
> Friday for 10 hour days. Then other students go
> Tuesday, Wednesday for longer days. That schedule
> alternates on different weeks.

How many school bus drivers will quit before having to wear a stupid mask all day and play musical bus seats with students? Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Life couldn’t have become so nonsensical! I must be living a nightmare.

Posted by: Driving the back seat ()
Date: June 04, 2020 06:30PM

The real question is how many bus drivers with commercial drivers license will get a job somewhere else. No check in the summertime so they will get a job at another place. Cant get unemployment either.

Posted by: caritu ()
Date: August 04, 2020 03:53AM

I believe it will be possible in the future. The quarantine will not last forever, after a certain time everything will return to its original state. If, despite the quarantine, the educational process begins, then I am sure that the authorities will definitely come up with something so that students can be transported. For example, renting additional buses. This is one of the most commonplace ideas. It is not difficult to rent a bus now, as there are a huge number of services like hireabus.com that provide such services. Of course, if we solve this problem more seriously, then we can propose to divide the students into two groups - daytime and evening. Then it will be possible to reduce the number of students who need to be transported in half at a time. But this will require additional costs for maintaining the school premises, additional salaries for teachers, as well as for school staff and bus drivers. I think this is much more expensive.

Posted by: tracer ()
Date: August 06, 2020 03:25PM

caritu Wrote:
> I believe it will be possible in the future. The quarantine will not last forever, after a certain time everything will return to its original state. If, despite the quarantine, the educational process begins, then I am sure that the authorities will definitely come up with something so that students can be transported. For example, renting additional buses. This is one of the most commonplace ideas. It is not difficult to rent a bus now, as there are a huge number of services like hireabus.com that provide such services. Of course, if we solve this problem more seriously, then we can propose to divide the students into two groups - daytime and evening. Then it will be possible to reduce the number of students who need to be transported in half at a time. But this will require additional costs for maintaining the school premises, additional salaries for teachers, as well as for school staff and bus drivers. I think this is much more expensive.

Where can I find some more feedback?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.