HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Shocker - The Nats are...good
Date: April 17, 2010 10:18PM

Yes, it's incredibly early in the season, but the Nats appear to be good. They are over .500. They crushed Milwaukee 8-0 today and while Philly throttled the Nats on opening day, the Nats beat them during that series, which is Philly's only road loss so far. Watching their games against the Mets and Milwaukee, it is apparent something is clicking with the team. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the team will actually be competitive this season. It doesn't have to make the playoffs (yet). Just don't be an embarrassment like the last two seasons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shocker - The Nats are...good
Posted by: boredom ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:35PM

You're 16 days too late for an April Fools joke.

Next you'll be saying that the Redskins are a skilled football team and that Daniel Snyder enjoys giving money away to charity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 11:36PM by boredom.

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:45PM

Screw the gnats.

The Orioles are 1-11. Ugh.

Posted by: Superman 4 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 11:57PM

I like to think that 10 MLB games is equivalent to 1 NFL game.
There are 16 NFL games and 162 MLB games...

10x16 is 160 (close to 162)

So for example when my Redskins/Ravens lose their first game I shouldn't start celebrating, and at the same time, if they lose their first game, I shouldn't get too down.

I'm an Orioles fan and 1-11 is horrible, and makes me think "here we go again". BUT at this point into the baseball season, its like an NFL team being 0-1. is over.

THE ORIOLES HAVE LOST THEIR "FIRST GAME"
and the NATIONALS HAVE WON THEIR "FIRST GAME"

But there are 15 games left.

Anybody follow me?

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: April 18, 2010 01:05AM

Great....Let's start the "The Nats are going to the World Series" banter....

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: April 18, 2010 01:36AM

I like the Nats, but the Yankees are still my main team.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Oh Danny Boy ()
Date: April 18, 2010 08:03AM

Highlander Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great....Let's start the "The Nats are going to
> the World Series" banter....

LOL. Sure doesn't stop the goofy Redskins fans from proclaiming they are "going to the Superbowl" every year after their first preseason win. This happens every year with Redskins fans. They are known around the country as "preseason world champions."

Date: April 18, 2010 09:56AM

As I pointed out, it is very early in the season. They could fully implode as injuries and trades start happening. All I am saying is that they have actually played well under Rizzo and Riggleman. And it's not just about their record. You should watch how they are playing and the way they are winning. They are vastly improved over last year.

And, no, I don't have any hope for them going to the World Series or, frankly, the post season. I just want them to be around .500 more often than not this season. That would be a huge improvement over recent years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: April 18, 2010 02:17PM

Ah, fuck it! I'm moving to Boston.

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: April 18, 2010 02:30PM

Superman 4 Wrote:
> I like to think that 10 MLB games is equivalent to
> 1 NFL game.
> There are 16 NFL games and 162 MLB games...
>
> 10x16 is 160 (close to 162)
>
>
>
> So for example when my Redskins/Ravens lose their
> first game I shouldn't start celebrating, and at
> the same time, if they lose their first game, I
> shouldn't get too down.
>
> I'm an Orioles fan and 1-11 is horrible, and makes
> me think "here we go again". BUT at this point
> into the baseball season, its like an NFL team
> being 0-1. is over.
>
> THE ORIOLES HAVE LOST THEIR "FIRST GAME"
> and the NATIONALS HAVE WON THEIR "FIRST GAME"
>
> But there are 15 games left.
>
> Anybody follow me?

Considering that the Nats seem to play the Phillies every other game the record is impressive and 70-72 wins would not be unrealistic, especially if they can keep it together until June when Strassburg and Storen get called up. On the other hand, the Orioles are just terrible and 50-55 wins looks generous.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 18, 2010 03:18PM

I like the Snatchinals better.

Posted by: :( ()
Date: April 18, 2010 03:20PM

496 Wrote:
> I like the Snatchinals better.

not funny

Date: April 18, 2010 05:13PM

Given the shitfest they made of the first inning, they at least made a respectable effort at a comeback.

Date: April 20, 2010 01:46PM

I wonder if this will give the Nats an advantage to beat the Rockies tonight...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/20/obit.keli.mcgregor/index.html?hpt=T1

Posted by: casual fan ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:57PM

The Nats have one important factor going for them that the Orioles don't, they play in the vastly suckier NL which can make bad teams look mediocre and mediocre teams look like contenders. A season within smelling distance of .500 is possible.

Date: April 20, 2010 02:07PM

casual fan Wrote:
> The Nats have one important factor going for them
> that the Orioles don't, they play in the vastly
> suckier NL which can make bad teams look mediocre
> and mediocre teams look like contenders. A season
> within smelling distance of .500 is possible.

Yeah, I don't know about that. Granted, AL East is the premiere division in baseball. But the Phillies are pretty damn good and it seems like the Mets, Braves and Marlins are in varying degrees of contention for Wild Card slots during most of the seasons the Nats have been here.

It's true that the AL East is top heavy with the Yankees and Sox. But most of the Orioles' problems stem from having a douchebag owner. I mean, the Rays...THE RAYS...managed to get to the World Series in AL East. The Orioles have a fucking tradition of greatness but have done shit since Angelos has been there.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 12:47AM

The Nats will be pretty close to .500 this year, I hope their goal is coloser to 80 than 70 wins.

As far as comparing it to football though, every year you do have a fair shot in the NFL. When you come in last you get the last place teams of the other divisions from the year before, this is why the Redskins play the Lions every year (yes, I'm still hurting from that game last year).

Like in the NFC South, the last place team won the division the next year for like 4 straight years. In baseball that'll almost never happen. You have yur good teams and your bad teams. Like 12 teams compete for the 8 spots in the playoffs.

Posted by: 40 onces of Freedom ()
Date: April 21, 2010 08:33AM

Yeah so good that got smoked 10-4 by Colorado. Look don't drink the kool-aid just yet.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.