HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Local computer stores?
Posted by: Cm ()
Date: July 13, 2005 01:25PM

I made a trip to Microcenter during lunch for a few CPU fans (fans died on the box at home) and got lost in the sea of geekiness, as I do every time. I love that store.

But it got me thinking though, are there any other good stores/shops in Fairfax County that provide PC parts and accessories?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Local computer stores?
Posted by: Somebody ()
Date: July 13, 2005 01:28PM

I usually go to GT (Golden Tech) Computers in Herndon.
Their prices are pretty high, but when you've got to get it now you can usually find what you need.

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: July 13, 2005 01:32PM

microcenter is good. bought a 939 fan there last week

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: July 13, 2005 01:57PM

microcenter has great selection and you can pre-shop on the net. Unlike compusa, they put all store-available merch on the web.

their prices aren't the worst, either. I mean, retail is all markup and loss leaders so not much to be done about that anyway.

Posted by: johnnye ()
Date: July 13, 2005 04:53PM

I hate microcenter, their service sucks. They spend so much damn time answering questions they wont get you a stick of ram that is behind the counter. Microcenter is for wannabe nerds that havent found newegg.com yet.

After that rant, I suggest GoldenTech which has locations in Herndon and across from Potomac Mills. There's also a computer store in Fairfax next to Circuit City and Jermantown Road. Cant think of the name off the top of my head, I think its called "That Computer Place" believe it or not. Last but not least, the ultimate in CHEAP OEM parts, Advanced2000. Its in Alexandria near Eisenhower Avenue. www.advanced2000.com.

Date: July 13, 2005 05:12PM

the place next to circuit city is crap.

you ASK QUESTIONS of people working in retail? what do you fucking expect? The lowest drek in this country is forced to work in retail.

Yeah newegg is so perfect. Try making a return to them sometime. Microcenter takes stuff back with zero hassle whatsoever. So see, neither entity is perfect. And as for newegg's service, if we are to actually compare the two, well, you don't get any. Microcenter is very intrusive about your personal data though.

You must never need a part the same day. How nice for you. I bet you never leave your house either.

I will check out golden tech but not holding my breath. Mom and pop shops around here are notorious for having no reasonably priced parts in stock. And for stocking out-of-date garbage. K-tek anyone??

Posted by: Cm ()
Date: July 13, 2005 05:51PM

Wow, Rob, were you just reading my screen? I was typing the same damn thing when I saw you posted before me.

Microcenter is excellent about taking stuff back. I returned a webcam because it sucked, and started explaining why I was returning it. The dude stopped me mid-sentence and said "not compatible? No problem."

So is that a recommendation for K-tek, or only if I need out-of-date garbage? Do they take out-of-date garbage, too? I got some of that as well...

Posted by: kklare ()
Date: July 13, 2005 06:24PM

rstidman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the place next to circuit city is crap.
>

I second that. I go there every now and then because it's so close to where I live, but I don't think I've ever walked out of there with what I need. It's a big, empty, worthless store. And the guys working there usually don't know what they do/don't have.

Date: July 13, 2005 06:53PM

You need to work on your reading proficency Robert. I said THEY spend too much time answering questions, while I wait for the product I came in there to get. In other words, I come in looking for a product I know they have, but cannot locate on the floor. I have to ask a salesman, but he's over there explaining to some old guy the difference between DDR and SDRAM. So basically, I'm happier with CompUSA than I am with them, regardless of Microcenter's wider product selection because CompUSA gets me out the door quicker.

I've never had a problem returing products to Newegg. I should say that I've only had to do that once. They paid for return shipping and sent my new product as soon as they recieved my old one, plus gave me a $10 credit on my next purchase. It must be the attitude that gave you the problem.

The place next to Circuit City. It's the closest place to me that would have an IDE to SATA power adapater. So to say its crap, is relative. For instance, I would NOT build a computer from the ground up using that place.

Same day OEM parts (motherboard, cpu, ram etc, not connectors) Go to advanced2000.com (located near 495 and Eisenhower ave), or did you skip that part where I think its the ultimate?

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: July 13, 2005 07:12PM

One of the best stores I have ever been to is Fry's (they're not around here) but they do have a website at outpost.com they have some ridiculous deals sometimes.

Date: July 13, 2005 07:33PM

Yea I wish we had Fry's in this area. I've heard them recommended many times for electronic components outside of the PC arena. Sort of a RadioShack on roids.

Date: July 13, 2005 09:29PM

I see. You shop at Fry's. That says everything about your intelligence right there.

I can only suggest the reason you had trouble at microcenter is because you're an asshole who is too impatient and unresourceful. The salespeople probably see you coming and just look for ways to keep helping someone else.

Like I said, maybe if you got out more to other places, like everwhere else that's not a computer store, it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe you might even meet a girl and your life wouldn't consist of scouring the area for second-rate computer stores.

Posted by: kingOFgEEEks ()
Date: July 13, 2005 09:51PM

On a semi-related note, where could I get a replacement LCD for my old Gateway Solo notebook computer? I really don't want to pay gateway to fix something I can fix myself, and since I'm not a certified technician or whatever, my odds of getting just parts from them is slim. I know the computer is not great, but it works for a web surfing/email machine (except for the fact that the backlight on the screen is no longer working).

Posted by: Hemsk ()
Date: July 13, 2005 09:56PM

Have you tried googling for it yet?

Depending on your model, you're looking at < $200. Of course, you can probably get a new(er) laptop for just a bit more than that, so...

Another choice is the local "computer show and sale" that they have at the Dulles Expo center or the Annandale NoVa campus. Usually there's at least one "parts bucket" vendor with old bits you can sift through.

Date: July 13, 2005 11:33PM

Dude! There you go again not reading the fucking post.

I've never even BEEN to Fry's much less shopped there. I just wish we had a local one so I could get parts that people reference me to. RadioShack does not carry relay's, float switches, squirrel cage fans etc. The only local place for these things is Grainger, where I have to pretend I still work at my old job since it is wholesale only.

Hah! The girl cutdown, you've apparently run out of insults ;)

Lets not hijack the thread, do you have any more computer places to offer? I've named all the ones I know...you've named the only one you know. Oh wait, every other one is "second rate" to Microcenter. Heh. Narrow minded dunce.

KOG: What I would recommend is buying a broken laptop off ebay that has a usuable screen. They are very easy to replace, I'd even do the :15 min of work if you get the screen. Here's a LCD screen by itself for $15 from a 9100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6783795322&category=51162&rd=1

Posted by: Hemsk ()
Date: July 13, 2005 11:57PM

Are there any places that *buy* computer parts? I don't want to put it all up on ebay or something, but would like to find a home for this stuff... Let's see... Old 14" monitor, various PCI vid cards, stack of pentium processors, coupla 2 gig drives...

Posted by: CERTenly2380928390 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 02:15AM

CERT love for local computer fix.

Posted by: Stephen ()
Date: October 13, 2011 12:40PM

Microcenter charged me $150 for an open box fee on a camera, and their so-called tech sent me out with a program that didn't work on my system. I avoid buying high dollar items from them now. Try Advanced 2000, in Alexandria.

Posted by: Yup ()
Date: October 13, 2011 03:58PM

PEBKAC

Posted by: Alex Smith ()
Date: October 13, 2011 07:28PM

I shop at Microcenter all the time, but would like an alternative. Any good ones around Tysons?

Posted by: Heinz ()
Date: October 14, 2011 03:04PM

Cedar PC in Chantilly has PC parts (smaller than Microcenter). Convenient if you live nearby. See their web site.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.