HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Are there free online courses available anyone recommends?
Posted by: Let's be constructive ()
Date: April 29, 2020 01:56PM

Online learning type stuff?

Anything to pass some time and maybe learn a little something.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are there free online courses available anyone recommends?
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 29, 2020 02:59PM

What are you trying to learn?

Your motivation is to be commended but I humbly recommend a strategy (i.e. don't dabble... have a goal in mind; trust me that this works for the best)

Posted by: Bsyx ()
Date: April 29, 2020 03:15PM

There are plenty of free ones on udemy. I’m currently taking a course in AWS, python on c++. Contrary to what the guy above me said, it’s actually best to dabble in different things. The thing I hate most about tech is its constantly changing, different skills are in demand at different times and it’s hard to predict which skills will be useful 5 years from now. It’s better to be a jack of all trades than a master of one.

Date: April 29, 2020 03:22PM

>> it’s actually best to dabble in different things.

I didn't express myself correctly. What I mean is that don't start some training but not finish it (don't do things 50%... do them 100%)

I agree that having a wide range of IT skills exposure is the right way to go.

Posted by: Bsyx ()
Date: April 29, 2020 03:27PM

Big Al Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >> it’s actually best to dabble in different
> things.
>
> I didn't express myself correctly. What I mean is
> that don't start some training but not finish it
> (don't do things 50%... do them 100%)
>
> I agree that having a wide range of IT skills
> exposure is the right way to go.

Ahh gotcha. Follow through is certainly important and I should revise my previous statement. If you have your heart set on a particular skill or IT field, you should prob focus on that and diversity in others once you’ve got the hang of your preferred skill set. Personally, I’ve been in IT for a little over a year and have no clue what the hell im doing, although I’m in customer service and not doing anything too technical outside of working with CRMs. I’m over 30, so wonder how wise it is to invest the time/money learning certain skills. Def hear some horror story of older guys in tech.

Date: April 29, 2020 04:10PM

>> I’m over 30, so wonder how wise it is to invest the time/money learning certain skills.

Absolutely wise to invest the time and money (time more than money; a lot of what one can train in can often come for free or at a very reduced cost).

>> Def hear some horror story of older guys in tech.

Let me start by saying I am an older guy in tech.

That being said, the #1 killer of tech careers is skill stagnation. Older guys frequently let their skills lapse and coast on a decade old skill set until they are worthless to their team / organization and then they're put out into the street with obsolete skills and bills to pay. I have seen this with my own eyes (and made a personal determination to not make that same mistake).

If you're in IT (or virtually any technology for that matter) then you should be learning EVERY day (or at least every week). I like to think of IT as a trade. Tradesmen (and women) hone a skill set throughout a career. The same goes for IT people.

As you get older you get slower and cannot learn as quickly as someone younger. On the other hand, life / career experience season your approach to learning (i.e. you already know how to learn and most likely have an instinct to know what is real and what is a fad). If you're used to constantly upgrading and honing your skill set then you know the routine. You can safely predict a training outcome before you even start it. That is the benefit of age.

All of this predicates on having a desire to be in a technological field for the sake of the technology. If you do not like what you do then you're not going to be motivated to learn it (no matter how much money it earns you).

For me personally, I have no interest in graphic or web design. Therefore I do not try to learn it. I use my time to learn what my IT shop is using and MASTER it (I already like what IT we use). If I am certifying in IT less than a half a dozen times every year then I am slacking off.

For you personally, I recommend the same. What do you like to do? Find those facets of IT that you enjoy and then go for it.

If you're in technical support, check out the DoD IAT certification tracks (see link below). Having an IAT level of certification can give you some career mobility. Also check out ITIL certification.

https://public.cyber.mil/cw/cwmp/dod-approved-8570-baseline-certifications/

Posted by: For starters ()
Date: April 29, 2020 07:04PM

I always advise kids that the first cert they should get is a PMP. It’s so versatile and will serve you well. Even if/when you leave IT.

Posted by: Thanks for all the leads ()
Date: April 29, 2020 07:26PM

udemy isn't free, but at less than $20 per course, it may as well be. Hopefully we'll be out of this shutdown in a few weeks, but I'm going to try to learn something.

Posted by: AlexaA ()
Date: May 20, 2020 09:16AM

The most interesting and informative courses I can suggest are the power bi courses on https://www.venturelessons.com/best-power-bi-online-courses/ I was looking forward to learning something new, and I came across these courses. I have already completed the Microsoft Power BI- A Complete Introduction course, and I have my eye on the next one. I'm able to comfortably work with the different tools of the Power BI arena and not only. I think that this piece of knowledge will be very useful for my future business.

Posted by: JPNJV ()
Date: May 20, 2020 05:20PM

Sure. You can now take online courses and get a High School Diploma in Fairfax County. So much easier than actually attending class, apparently.

Posted by: SumMo ()
Date: May 20, 2020 09:45PM

Coursera has a lot of free online courses from Universities around the World on a variety of subjects. www.coursera.com

The Learning Company in Chantilly has a lot of courses. You can buy individual courses or get a monthly subscription that gives you access to everything.

www.thegreatcourses.com

Posted by: Ptsh ()
Date: May 21, 2020 10:42AM

It’s good to learn new things. Just be mindful that some things like coding and specific jobs like software engineer are dead end jobs where your skills and knowledge will cap out at some point due to ageism. Project management and writing are much more valuable skills and have no expiration date.

Posted by: MarcusLee ()
Date: May 22, 2020 03:13AM

If you look at things from your point of view, then it is much easier to choose web design as the main profession. It is easier to be in trend and use new opportunities. I often use figma material design now. These ready-made libraries make my work easier. All you have to have initially is a little creativity in the soul. Technology can give the rest. I am sure that I will not be on the sidelines in 5 or 10 years.

Posted by: DanGolfy ()
Date: May 25, 2020 03:19PM

Well, if you want and work har you can study at home.

Posted by: johankimmey ()
Date: May 25, 2020 03:28PM

yeah, guys, I agree with the majority of you. I am happy that I live in the era of the internet and I can study anything I want with the help of the internet, which is a huge advantage comparing to the previous years when people had to go to the library to learn something. Now there is no need for it and you are free of your choice. You can check the Best Course Reviews and choose something for you. So you can become anyone you want, I am now passing some courses of programming and informatics, and I find them very clear and efficient. That is really nice that we all have such opportunities.

Posted by: Dingle Berry ()
Date: May 25, 2020 03:33PM

Democrat U.
Online courses in:

Triggered.
Libtard.
Snowflake.
Rough Anal Sex.

Posted by: fed up 40's ()
Date: May 25, 2020 05:06PM

Close to OP's topic- I am willing to drop $1200 (thanks Trump!) and can kick in to get it up to $2500 if need be on a basic IT class that can help me get into an entry level help desk type of job or basic networking. It can be all online, but i will go to a class if need be!!

ANy recommendations that would actualy pan out to a job if i have, say, 60 days to learn the skill? Like a boot camp? Or am i better off self-studying and just paying to take the exams and skip the class (I had no problems doing online coursework in the past, getting my associates degree and part of my bachleors that way, in business management).

Thanks all for any words.

Posted by: kokokoko ()
Date: May 28, 2020 11:35AM

johankimmey Wrote:
> yeah, guys, I agree with the majority of you. I am
> happy that I live in the era of the internet and I
> can study anything I want with the help of the
> internet, which is a huge advantage comparing to
> the previous years when people had to go to the
> library to learn something. Now there is no need
> for it and you are free of your choice. You can
> check the Best Course Reviews and choose something for you. So you
> can become anyone you want, I am now passing some
> courses of programming and informatics, and I find
> them very clear and efficient. That is really nice
> that we all have such opportunities.

Learning is always a great choice because with any knowledge you can earn money and become an interesting person.

Posted by: SillyFilly21 ()
Date: May 13, 2022 07:57AM

Hello everyone, please share with me courses in which I can gain knowledge about management and sales.

I am planning to work in a new company that is in the field of sales and I think that this knowledge will be very useful for me.

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2022 07:57AM by SillyFilly21.

Posted by: NicksonWillson ()
Date: May 13, 2022 08:01AM

I am glad to welcome you, for quite a long time I worked in a land sales company. Therefore, I want to say something that is not very appreciated by employees who have sales and management skills. Therefore, I advise you to prepare in advance and go through Professional Development Training in order to feel comfortable in a new team. This course will give you the knowledge you need to help you get the job done.

Posted by: Asshole times ()
Date: May 13, 2022 09:37AM

You are an asshole.

Get a life.

Posted by: 3t34hj4 ()
Date: May 13, 2022 11:28AM

Thanks for all the leads Wrote:
> udemy isn't free, but at less than $20 per course,
> it may as well be. Hopefully we'll be out of this
> shutdown in a few weeks, but I'm going to try to
> learn something.

DROP DEAD SPAMMER

Posted by: Lots to learn ()
Date: May 13, 2022 04:08PM

The aren't really courses but I have learned a lot from the wisdom given in Meade Skelton videos in YouTube. He has great insight and advice.

Posted by: Derseb ()
Date: August 30, 2022 02:45AM

Hello, not so long ago I took a communication skills course and now I find it much easier to manage my emotions. If you have the same problem with managing your emotional state, I recommend you to take a course or buy some products from this site

Posted by: same q srsly ()
Date: September 01, 2022 05:57AM

fed up 40's Wrote:
> Close to OP's topic- I am willing to drop $1200
> (thanks Trump!) and can kick in to get it up to
> $2500 if need be on a basic IT class that can help
> me get into an entry level help desk type of job
> or basic networking. It can be all online, but i
> will go to a class if need be!!
>
> ANy recommendations that would actualy pan out to
> a job if i have, say, 60 days to learn the skill?
> Like a boot camp? Or am i better off self-studying
> and just paying to take the exams and skip the
> class (I had no problems doing online coursework
> in the past, getting my associates degree and part
> of my bachleors that way, in business management).
>
>
> Thanks all for any words.

same, excpet i am willing to pay up to $5k!

Posted by: DIE SPAMMER!!!!! ()
Date: October 18, 2022 10:34AM

Derseb Wrote:
> Hello, not so long ago I took a
> [url=https://hrdqstore.com/collections/communicati
> on-skills]communication skills course[/url] and
> now I find it much easier to manage my emotions.
> If you have the same problem with managing your
> emotional state, I recommend you to take a course
> or buy some products from this site

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g
file.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamy

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.