HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
School in the fall or distance learning?
Posted by: Prinipalbbbbbb ()
Date: April 28, 2020 10:18PM

School or no school ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: School in the fall or distance learning?
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 28, 2020 11:08PM

>> School or no school ?

I am hesitant to consider going to a FCPS building "a school" (or Loudoun, etc. for that matter...)

There are four seasons: trout season, duck season, deer season, and winter break

Posted by: Black CauIk ()
Date: April 29, 2020 05:48AM

How bout the season of love?

I love me some bbc

Posted by: Gay Gus ()
Date: April 29, 2020 06:38AM

Black CauIk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How bout the season of love?
>
> I love me some bbc

I am Greek, do you want some bgc?

Posted by: Long term ()
Date: April 29, 2020 07:55AM

Certainly it’s still an unknown and could go either way

I’m a teacher and one thing we definitely need is clear expectations for everyone

Forget that Blackboard Collaborate was broken and now mostly working (some folks are still having some minor tech issues)

Students should be required to have mics and cameras on so teachers can see them (otherwise they are probably doing something else)

Students should be required to participate in some fashion (ask questions/acknowledge the teacher/etc)

If students do not attend online live sessions, there needs to be some way (Google Form maybe type quiz)...that allows them to display they watched the lesson

Parents need to be making sure students are present logged in and have mics/cameras on

Teachers need to be engaging and trying more than just direct lecture (I am guilty of this last one but students are responding and I’m condensing 90 minutes into 45 minutes while also explaining one assignment with a week of time to complete (that still isn’t done)

Grading attendance etc these are things that must be laid out clearly and tightly the loosey goosey model we’re following now does no long term service to students...in fact it does more to reward non compliance than actual compliance

These are the things that need to be addressed if we start next year with distance learning because if we don’t students really will be further behind than they are now

Students and teachers are resilient and things can be overcome but if we continue to not create clear accountability and guidelines in the fall, we will be truly failing our students long term education

Posted by: Yadayadayada ()
Date: April 29, 2020 10:58AM

Reply to Long term: Thx for your insight. Hopefully your reason for the explicit detail is not because your superiors don’t ask or listen to your point-of-view.

Students who are not sick and do not have pre existing conditions which make them “at risk” should be at school. However, in order to comply with Fcps’s equity philosophy/policy there will be no school.

If not one, than no one. Fcps is fair if nothing else.

Posted by: TF ()
Date: April 29, 2020 11:53AM

There are no consequences at all for not attending sessions. Teachers in HS are distraught as many work hard to make their one synchronous class per week engaging. However, students are smart and know from county policy that if they had a high grade at the semester that they don’t have to do anything. In its efforts to be equitable FCPS has set the bar at the lowest common denominator. If we go to distance learning in the fall, there has to be a better plan. Perhaps one crafted by teachers this time rather than suits sitting in Gatehouse.

Posted by: Vet teacher ()
Date: May 16, 2020 03:16PM

How about we assume most kids do have the technology to be successful at home instead of assuming they don’t. As usual FCPS is allowing the few to dictate to the many. The VAST majority of my students have the ability to do the work - the county has simply made the exception the norm, allowing most to glide by. I’m lucky if I have 50% of my students in my class for 45 minutes once a week. And they can get a grade bump if they just do all the work I assign a week before school is out. Great plan FCPS. I’ve been teaching 20 years in FCPS and I’m just mind blown - NO consequence for students whatsoever. The real world doesn’t work this way. If I skipped my online sessions they would fire me. My AP checks every day to make sure I’m logged on to those sessions...Never comes into my room during the school year but now he all of the sudden cares? It’s hard to keep going - we all know that no raises will take place next year. So will we as teachers now be considered having a front line job with risk pay? Doctors and nurses go into their profession expecting to work with sick people - teachers don’t. We will be steamrolled once again. World class education haha....

Posted by: V ()
Date: May 16, 2020 03:39PM

Distance learning obviously, as will be for the rest of our lives. Remember, the lovely and beautiful WHO said the Coronavirus will be impossible to eradicate - expect at least 100,000 new people infected each year. Anyone who disagrees and goes on fake news sites like Info Wars is guilty of being a racist, sexist Nazi conspiratard. KNOW THE FACTS, MOTHERFUCKER.

-Proud Liberal

Posted by: Eddie Teach 1 ()
Date: May 16, 2020 04:09PM

@ vet teacher I couldn’t have written a post more like my situation if I tried. Fifty percent attendance but they don’t participate. At the end of the 45 minutes I usually have to kick at least two off line probably due to not knowing class is over. Same with my administrator. I have to beg her to come in to observe an activity but now she pops in every class. Nothing else to do I guess.

Date: May 16, 2020 05:50PM

The thing that bothers me the most is that we face sick kids EVERY DAY in a tight environment- at one point I had 34 kids in my classroom this year. Now everyone is a hero for what we do every day. I also did the math 73,000 cases in the metro area - 6.2 million people live here. That makes .01%of the population have corona.... let science dictate when we open back up? Why did we close....

Posted by: Eddie Teach 1 ()
Date: May 16, 2020 07:32PM

I agree. I’d go back tomorrow. Or Monday.

Posted by: watch my kid so I can work ()
Date: May 16, 2020 10:51PM

The purpose of schools is 20% to teach and 80% to take custody of our kids so we all can go to work.

If my son comes home thinking 73,000 is .01% of 6,200,000 that’s ok. I can explain it’s closer to 1% in my free time. If our kid never return to school then our economy is screwed as a huge part of the population can’t go to work. This is especially true for single parent households.

Open them up and thank our teachers for watching our kids so we don’t have to.

Date: May 17, 2020 02:26AM

Sorry for the math typo - should not use my phone to do this. But I worry about going on my FCPS computer to post. Big brother is watching... big picture point is that the news media takes the exceptions and makes them the rule. The vast majority of people do the right thing and would with social distancing too. We cannot just sit here and let this destroy our country. My grandfather- part of that “greatest generation” would absolutely not sit around while the economy collapsed around him. He enlisted before the fighting even started in WWII and chose to do two more stints after his initial service. That’s what makes us as a people different- we face challenges head on. At least we used to. Now we just sit back and wait for the government to tell us what to do. What if we would have done the same thing after Pearl Harbor - just hide behind two oceans? Enough is enough already. Look Trump is not the most moral and polished person but he gets it. We have to open this country back up. When he tried to close the borders in January everyone called him a racist and xenophobic. Now they say he didn’t do enough....come on. Let’s watch Anderson cooper make more faces - that’s how we will fix this. Guess when mommy is a rich fashionista you can do whatever you want and they call it news.

Posted by: Glorias fat asss ()
Date: May 17, 2020 07:25AM

Vet teacher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry for the math typo - should not use my phone
> to do this. But I worry about going on my FCPS
> computer to post. Big brother is watching... big
> picture point is that the news media takes the
> exceptions and makes them the rule. The vast
> majority of people do the right thing and would
> with social distancing too. We cannot just sit
> here and let this destroy our country. My
> grandfather- part of that “greatest
> generation” would absolutely not sit around
> while the economy collapsed around him. He
> enlisted before the fighting even started in WWII
> and chose to do two more stints after his initial
> service. That’s what makes us as a people
> different- we face challenges head on. At least we
> used to. Now we just sit back and wait for the
> government to tell us what to do. What if we would
> have done the same thing after Pearl Harbor - just
> hide behind two oceans? Enough is enough already.
> Look Trump is not the most moral and polished
> person but he gets it. We have to open this
> country back up. When he tried to close the
> borders in January everyone called him a racist
> and xenophobic. Now they say he didn’t do
> enough....come on. Let’s watch Anderson cooper
> make more faces - that’s how we will fix this.
> Guess when mommy is a rich fashionista you can do
> whatever you want and they call it news.

Gloria to Anderson: “I don’t want a cock sucker for a son! Why can’t you be more like your brother Carter?”

Anderson: “but carter ded..”

Gloria: “exactly! Pull a David Carradine and use a butt plug in phuket”

Posted by: nd9hj ()
Date: May 17, 2020 02:36PM

Posted by: Russiaisariddle ()
Date: May 17, 2020 02:57PM

Sorry Dearie, your teacher didn’t give you anything, you earned it.

Posted by: Russiaisariddle ()
Date: May 17, 2020 02:58PM

Distance learning in the fall. All it takes is a couple of students in every school to be sick and we drop like flies.

Posted by: Eitne Grace ()
Date: June 19, 2020 07:50AM

I will choose ONLY distance learning, otherwise it cannot be with this outbreak of a pandemic. In general, I plan to relax simply, turn to some kind of service, look at this site for example, which is engaged in helping students. There I will find the material I need and just rent it, that's all. It seems to me that it won’t get better for a long time, so I will ONLY study the materials that will be useful to me in my future work.

Posted by: Lucas Kline ()
Date: June 29, 2020 09:29AM

I am a Fairfax parent desperate to have kids back full-time in the fall so I can return to work.

I personally know a local superintendent who has told me directly that Northern Virginia superintendents are deferring to the state Department of Education on how much kids will be in the building.

The two key decisionmakers are:

James Lane: Superintendent of Public Instruction
james.lane@doe.virginia.gov

Atif Qarni: Secretary of Education
atif.qarni@governor.virginia.gov

Posted by: Butterscotch ()
Date: July 09, 2020 09:20PM

To Vet Teacher: What did you think of the 90 minute presentation from Braband? I just don't know what more they can do but take it one day at a time.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.