HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
i need some good advice.
Posted by: Konikiwa ()
Date: April 09, 2007 01:04PM

Yo i am a young fairfax county resident. I recently graduated highschool and all that. My problem is that I am very creative and can make some crazy contraptions. the thing is i realy dont know how i can make and distribute the items. I am in enroled in nova but i want to try to get a buisness started before i graduate what do i need to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: i need some good advice.
Posted by: Innovata ()
Date: April 09, 2007 01:22PM

First you need to find a good patent attorney. The most important thing for any inventor to do is protect your invention from being copied. Secondly, you need to identify a market for your "contraptions" and determine how you are going to sell them. You will likely find a market on the internet, so I would research how to get involved in internet sales. Good luck.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: April 09, 2007 05:32PM

If the items you make are crafty, then sign up for a table at a craft fair.

Trickie

Posted by: Peggy Hill ()
Date: April 09, 2007 05:53PM

Your post, with bad spelling and all, reflects that you did indeed graduate from a Fairfax County school and most likely do attend NOVA. Don't worry though at NOVA you will not stick out by speaking like someone who has just entered this country.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: April 09, 2007 05:57PM

I tell people this all the time. If you seriously want to start your own business you need get funding for at least a year, mainly advertising. Get some contracts going before you jump in head first. Then be ready make your business your social life. If you do that you'll be successful.

Remember Edison said "99% perspiration, 1% creative inspiration."

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 09, 2007 06:41PM

My problem is that I am very creative and can make some crazy contraptions

My guess is it'll be alot of work to start and run a business if you're going to be a full time student. But I guess it depends on what you are trying to sell.

It'd be interesting to hear what kinds of stuff you make. Do you mean like art, or functional things?

"crazy contraptions"
Attachments:
CrazyContraption.jpg

Posted by: Rowsdower ()
Date: April 09, 2007 08:35PM

Start with this, Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Dad-Poor/dp/0751532711/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0983884-0499862?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176165096&sr=8-1
also available through Fairfax County Library

Read E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber

Finally, read Inc. & Grow Rich by Cheri S. Hill, Diane Kennedy, Garett Sutton, and C. W. Allen

Then give me 10% of your profits for the first three years.

And ignore the nimrods like Ms. Hill. You will have plenty of people tell you that you will never make it. Just educate yourself. It is all out there. The books I mentioned are essential if you are serious. They will get you thinking and then motivated to learn more.

Good luck.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2007 08:40PM by Rowsdower.

Posted by: Ms. Peggy Hill ()
Date: April 09, 2007 10:25PM

Mr Rowsdower will be a great help by asking for 10% right off the bat. A great lifes lesson is to be wary of someone who says they can help make you rich. If it were that easy we would all be rich and who in their right mind would sell the secret in the first place?

If the idea is in book form then it is already out there. What you would need to do instead of wasting your time reading get rich quick scams is to develop your own plan.

Posted by: Rowsdower ()
Date: April 09, 2007 11:06PM

Ms. Peggy Hill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What you would need to do instead of
> wasting your time reading ...

Yes, nothing has ever been passed on through a book.

Philistine.

And Mr. Rowsdower is my father.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2007 11:07PM by Rowsdower.

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: April 10, 2007 01:21AM

Might I also recommend getting Futurama Seasons 1-4(not 3) aswell as Oreo Double-Stuf Cookies and a BigMac. These will aid your search for glory.

Posted by: Just Wondering ()
Date: September 16, 2018 11:28AM

Did you ever make anything?

Posted by: justim19 ()
Date: September 16, 2018 10:26PM

Whoopi Goldberg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.