HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best inexpensive laptop for emails only
Posted by: ShoppingHelpNeeded ()
Date: April 02, 2020 03:03PM

Shopping for an old person. Want to shop at Best Buy. What is the best OS to shop for? No memory needed. Not saving anything. Just print and delete. Currently using an old HP.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best inexpensive laptop for emails only
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 02, 2020 03:10PM

If the old HP still works then why buy a new machine? Is there something wrong with the HP.

(also the more life experienced of us tend to get set in their ways making changes, especially technology changes, a little bit more of a curve...)

Posted by: Blue Shirt ()
Date: April 02, 2020 03:24PM

Cheap Chromebook or similar low-end Windows machine. Doesn't make much difference if they're using web-based email. If they want to run other local programs, then Windows-based probably better.

Posted by: Out of the box ()
Date: April 02, 2020 04:11PM

Don't waste your time with Best Buy. Go to tigerdirect (https://bit.ly/2x0G0aW) and you can get a refurbished Chromebook for the cost of dinner. If all they need is email and something to print from it will work just fine.

Posted by: thread patrol ()
Date: April 02, 2020 04:29PM

First 4 posts on this thread all came from the same ip. Strange.

Posted by: Out of the box ()
Date: April 02, 2020 04:33PM

thread patrol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First 4 posts on this thread all came from the
> same ip. Strange.

That is strange because I posted the tigerdirect comment and did not post the first three. Are you saying someone is using my router and knew I would respond to their posts? Weird

Date: April 02, 2020 07:56PM

Big Al Wrote:
> If the old HP still works then why buy a new
> machine? Is there something wrong with the HP.
>
> (also the more life experienced of us tend to get
> set in their ways making changes, especially
> technology changes, a little bit more of a
> curve...)

The keyboard doesn’t work. I tried cleaning but half the keys remain stuck.

Date: April 02, 2020 07:59PM

Out of the box Wrote:
> Don't waste your time with Best Buy. Go to
> tigerdirect (https://bit.ly/2x0G0aW) and you can
> get a refurbished Chromebook for the cost of
> dinner. If all they need is email and something to
> print from it will work just fine.

Their email is set up through AOL. It use to be Verizon.net.
Would Chromebook work with that?

Posted by: don't cheap out ()
Date: April 02, 2020 08:19PM

https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000J-006Z8R?Description=thinkpad&cm_re=thinkpad-_-2WC-000J-006Z8R-_-Product&quicklink=true

If you buy a POS with a Celeron for $300 you're going to regret it in a year, even for emails and web browsing. Thinkpads are used by companies all over, they are cheap, no frills, durable, and dependable. The Ryzen 5 in the one above will keep your emails experience smooth for years to come.

Date: April 02, 2020 08:30PM

>> The keyboard doesn’t work. I tried cleaning but half the keys remain stuck.

Well then you're looking at a replacement system. If you're not an IT mechanic then I personally recommend an Acer but if you are an IT mechanic then I recommend re-purposing a business class system (Lenovo, Dell Latitude, Fujitsu, etc.) and loading Linux Mint.

</$0.02>

Posted by: Dickus Minimus ()
Date: June 24, 2020 09:42PM

Frankly speaking, I'm not a fan of weak devices and especially laptops. I prefer really powerful computers. I want to build a new one and use RTX 3000 for it when it releases. All apps, CADs, games won't experience any lag at all with it.

Posted by: caritu ()
Date: July 22, 2020 10:45PM

Older hp models weren't really cool. (of course, unless you have a top-end version, which was very expensive). You should have thought about changing your laptop for a long time. Your best bet would be to buy a laptop running Windows. Mac laptops require investments even after purchasing them, since almost all programs there are paid and by subscription. Also, there is a completely different interface, it will also take time to get used to it. I would not recommend Linux to you either, since it is used mainly by software developers, as well as for some complex things that require a console. It is not very convenient for a standard user, which is why I would advise you to opt for Windows. But even the laptop itself is not an easy task to choose. When I was choosing my laptop, I spent a lot of time not to buy just another black brick that does not stand out in any way. The site https://dailytechcentral.com/ helped me with my choice, as well as reviews and comparisons of laptops that are on this site. I am sure that there you will find exactly what you are looking for, good luck!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2020 02:34PM by caritu.

Posted by: Fjdhjsk ()
Date: July 23, 2020 12:32AM

thread patrol Wrote:
> First 4 posts on this thread all came from the
> same ip. Strange.

Stop pretending to be a hacker. It’s not true and you have no skills to be able to track those kind of details. Why make up shit to pretend to be cool?

Posted by: Adam. ()
Date: July 23, 2020 12:35AM

ShoppingHelpNeeded Wrote:
> Big Al Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If the old HP still works then why buy a new
> > machine? Is there something wrong with the HP.
> >
> > (also the more life experienced of us tend to
> get
> > set in their ways making changes, especially
> > technology changes, a little bit more of a
> > curve...)
>
>
> The keyboard doesn’t work. I tried cleaning but
> half the keys remain stuck.

Cause of the dried jizz? That’s a common issue. You need to remove as much as you can when in its dehydrated form first. Adding water only makes it worse and should only be the final step.

Date: July 23, 2020 01:43AM

Posted by: helper ()
Date: July 23, 2020 04:03PM

caritu Wrote:
> Older hp models weren't really cool. (of course, unless you have a top-end version, which was very expensive). You should have thought about changing your laptop for a long time. Your best bet would be to buy a laptop running Windows. Mac laptops require investments even after purchasing them, since almost all programs there are paid and by subscription. Also, there is a completely different interface, it will also take time to get used to it. I would not recommend Linux to you either, since it is used mainly by software developers, as well as for some complex things that require a console. It is not very convenient for a standard user, which is why I would advise you to opt for Windows. But even the laptop itself is not an easy task to choose. When I was choosing my laptop, I spent a lot of time not to buy just another black brick that does not stand out in any way. The site https://dailytechcentral.com/ helped me with my choice, as well as reviews and comparisons of laptops that are on this site. I am sure that there you will find exactly what you are looking for, good luck!

Where can I find some more feedback?

Posted by: bn ()
Date: July 23, 2020 04:27PM

unless there's an absolute, specific need for a tablet. why not consider a tablet.

Posted by: bn ()
Date: July 23, 2020 04:28PM

*specific need for a laptop

Posted by: Steveee ()
Date: July 28, 2020 11:10AM

Hello. I want to tell you about my business which is aimed at working by mail. I use outlook and to be honest I never thought that it would be so convenient for me to work there and even with an email signature that I generated on a good site. If someone needs to go here https://mysignature.io/outlook-signature-generator and do the same for yourself.

Posted by: Best Deals ()
Date: July 28, 2020 11:23AM

Posted by: Epannyes ()
Date: July 29, 2020 02:42PM

caritu Wrote:
> Older hp models weren't really cool. (of course, unless you have a top-end version, which was very expensive). You should have thought about changing your laptop for a long time. Your best bet would be to buy a laptop running Windows. Mac laptops require investments even after purchasing them, since almost all programs there are paid and by subscription. Also, there is a completely different interface, it will also take time to get used to it. I would not recommend Linux to you either, since it is used mainly by software developers, as well as for some complex things that require a console. It is not very convenient for a standard user, which is why I would advise you to opt for Windows. But even the laptop itself is not an easy task to choose. When I was choosing my laptop, I spent a lot of time not to buy just another black brick that does not stand out in any way. The site https://dailytechcentral.com/ helped me with my choice, as well as reviews and comparisons of laptops that are on this site. I am sure that there you will find exactly what you are looking for, good luck!

Could you tell me some more information about it? Let’s talk in PM

Posted by: kinda IT ()
Date: July 29, 2020 05:24PM

Best Deals Wrote:
> Just go to
> https://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/fairfax.as
> px

+1

Also have a look at tiger direct online. Got a lenovo refurb for $120 yesterday. Don't be afraid of refurbs, microcenter and tiger direct are good about returns if you find something wrong with it ;)

Could a simple smartphone work as well if they are JUST doing email? There are decent androids for about $100 one can get @ walmart if one is being super price conscious.

Posted by: bessiebeardsley ()
Date: November 03, 2020 12:14AM

Take Xiaomi store as option, don't purchase very low unknown laptops by name because they will stop working very soon after purchase, I was there. Take this company in consideration because by price they are almost the best, by quality they are really amazing. I have many products from this company and never felt like a wrong decision to do so. Moreover, I like accessories and purchased them from https://gadgetguide.in/ and also feels and looks very surprisingly good from aside. I don’t need Apple devices because of others peoples reaction and opinion. I need something that works good and can save me some money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2020 11:15PM by bessiebeardsley.

Posted by: Black Caulk ()
Date: November 03, 2020 12:54AM

Out of the box Wrote:
> Don't waste your time with Best Buy. Go to
> tigerdirect (https://bit.ly/2x0G0aW) and you can
> get a refurbished Chromebook for the cost of
> dinner. If all they need is email and something to
> print from it will work just fine.

Go nigger direct. Steal one

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.