HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
DUI case has been moved - any ideas?
Posted by: Fingers crossed! ()
Date: March 31, 2020 11:15AM

Because of the virus shutting things down, my DUI case has been postponed, and I don’t have a new date. Any ideas whether or not they would just throw the case out? I’m a bit concerned because BAC was .17, and I might have to do a lot of community service. I didn’t injure anyone, and the only reason I got pulled over is because I ran a yellow light, which the cop said was red. But he didn’t even cite me for that!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DUI case has been moved - any ideas?
Posted by: Local Lawyer z ()
Date: March 31, 2020 11:21AM

Check the VA Court case info. general district court page. I hope its thrown out but I dought it. Call a Lawyer for a free chat. Lots of Lawyers have spare time and will talk to you for a few minutes. Good luck and dont drink and drive anymore.

Posted by: XCFJL ()
Date: March 31, 2020 11:33AM

point 17 was over the old standards, even. If they'd put it back to point 1 &just snatch people's licenses, that would get more drunks off the road than what they do now. At point 17, you're twice the current limit (or did those modern Carrie Nations known as MADD get it cut to point oh five in VA by now?). No, they're probably going to get you. Get a lawyer, get out your check book, this one is going to cost you.

You'll get drunk school, AA meetings and the Day-Glo vest, pickup stick and trash bag.

VA used to do some shaming. When you showed up at the DMV for enrollment in the Drunk Prog., it started from the time you got inside.

You go up to the Info. desk and say in a low voice that you're there to enroll in ASAP or where do you go for ASAP, or whatever. The clerk pretends not to hear you, so you raise the volume of your voice a couple of times until the clerk finally proclaims:

"OH! YOU'RE A DRUNK DRIVER! GO SIT OVER THERE WITH ALL THE OTHER DRUNK DRIVERS!" Of course, you are confused as to where, still. "RIGHT THERE. OVER THERE, WHERE ALL THE OTHER DRUNK DRIVERS ARE!" You shuffle over there with your collar around your face and take a seat.

After a wait, a door opens on the other side of the office. This person steps out and hollers:

"ALL YOU DRUNK DRIVERS LINE UP HERE! THAT'S RIGHT, DRUNK DRIVERS OVER HERE! LINE UP HERE, DRUNK DRIVERS!".

You go to these dumb classes, they send you to AA and you pick up trash. It's enough to drive you to drinking, which is why drunk school isn't too effective.

Posted by: Nothing to worry about ()
Date: March 31, 2020 11:38AM

The longer it is pushed back, the less likely it is that the officer will show. Don’t pay lots of money on a lawyer, there will be many teetering on bankruptcy because of the situation we’re in. You will be fine.

Posted by: GNMND ()
Date: March 31, 2020 11:46AM

Your case will be heard when this is all over, but probably not until the fall. There will be a big backlog. The cop who busted you WILL show up for the hearing. Expect to lose your license for 6 months with a .17. Get a lawyer before your court date.

Posted by: Early Morning Lawyer ()
Date: March 31, 2020 11:48AM

The short answer at this point is that nobody knows.

Before covid hit there was already a full docket scheduled for the next two months in the General District Court and Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Court. Nonemergency cases have been put on hold during the covid outbreak. Crime doesn't take a holiday though, so there are going to be a number of new cases piling up while court proceedings are on hold. Working through this backlog could take months of very long days. Culling the workload of cases that could be dropped might also require a huge amount of labor, plus a drop in fine revenue for a local government that will be strapped for funds. You have new prosecutors in both Fairfax and Arlington.

If it was my call, when things start back up again I'd probably schedule a few weeks of GDC arraignments. Police officers and commonwealth attorneys would not be present. The accused would show up and plead guilty or innocent. If an innocent plea was made the case would be continued to the officer's next scheduled appearance. If a guilty plea was made the accused would be permitted to offer an explanation why the fines or charges should be reduced. I have no connection with any Commonwealth Attorney office, so I don't know what they and the judges will decide.

If you have been charged with a .17 DUI you really do need to see a lawyer. If you have a good driving record you won't be going to jail. You might get some suspended jail time which is nothing to dismiss. You will have a suspended license. The exact terms though will be negotiable.

Posted by: HGYGP ()
Date: March 31, 2020 12:05PM

My friend got a drunk driving. But his uncle was lawyer and knew he could not afford one, so he said he’d to it for a pro boner. I have no idea what he’s talking about, maybe the uncle was gay?

Posted by: Do not worry. ()
Date: March 31, 2020 01:25PM

I know someone that works in the courts - they are going to throw out all the minor cases, including DUI, otherwise will be backlogged for years to come. You’re in the clear!

Posted by: Mature adult ()
Date: March 31, 2020 01:48PM

Why not just ask your lawyer? And if you haven't hired a lawyer to handle the case, you should.

Posted by: úù ()
Date: March 31, 2020 02:10PM

Because the lawyers don’t know either. This is new for all of us.

Posted by: 6H7BT ()
Date: March 31, 2020 02:18PM

HGYGP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My friend got a drunk driving. But his uncle was
> lawyer and knew he could not afford one, so he
> said he’d to it for a pro boner. I have no idea
> what he’s talking about, maybe the uncle was
> gay?

That was a long way to go to get in your juvenile joke.

4th grader: He said 'boner' heh heh heh heh heh

Posted by: walli ()
Date: March 31, 2020 03:09PM

You were .17 BAC. Have your attorney get you the best plea he can. You'll lose your license for a while, but you can get a hardship license so you can go to work, etc. There will be a fine, community service, probation.

You're very lucky you didn't have a wreck and hurt yourself or someone else. Take responsibility and move on. I was a LEO for 12 years. I only had to go to court one time on all of my DUI arrests.

My career ended when I was hit by a drunk driver while I was on duty.

5 years ago my mom was killed by a 17 year old drunk driver on his way to school at 7am.

Posted by: Drink, Drive & Die ()
Date: March 31, 2020 03:32PM

You fucked up and got caught. Since you case has been postponed, you’ll most probably fuck up again. Hopefully, you don’t kill anyone this time, either. Maybe you’ll contract the virus and have a coming to Jesus moment. Seriously doubtful.
You’re a fucking loser, not for the DUI but posting on this forum. We all make mistakes but wisdom is not compounding them.
What a fuck up.

Posted by: 100proof ()
Date: March 31, 2020 04:07PM

At times like this have a drink.
Attachments:
rinking.jpg

Posted by: Worriedmore ()
Date: March 31, 2020 04:11PM

Are the liquor stores still open? I don’t why I’m asking here, you all don’t know shit. Better head for VABC.

Posted by: Gerrrys kids ()
Date: March 31, 2020 09:56PM

Fingers crossed! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because of the virus shutting things down, my DUI
> case has been postponed, and I don’t have a new
> date. Any ideas whether or not they would just
> throw the case out? I’m a bit concerned because
> BAC was .17, and I might have to do a lot of
> community service. I didn’t injure anyone, and
> the only reason I got pulled over is because I ran
> a yellow light, which the cop said was red. But he
> didn’t even cite me for that!!!!

Did you hit someone and take off like Gerry????
If so, you can be a congressman and Pelosi’s moist glory hole

Posted by: Dad ()
Date: April 08, 2020 08:25PM

Get a lawyer. My ex lost the kids to me over a .09 in civil court (Arlington circuit court but close enough). Judges don't like dwi. A .17 BAC requires a professional to help you avoid an ugly outcome. You probably should have an ignition lock NOW (with attorney guidance) so you can show what a good boy/girl you've been by the time you get to your court date. Drink at home! That what the VABC is for!! And they are still essential during these ends of times/viral apocalypse.

Posted by: FFU Research & Analysts ()
Date: April 08, 2020 08:29PM

Post your name and docket #. I’ll research this. In the meantime, have a drink or five. Just don’t drive.

Posted by: Officer Friendly ()
Date: April 08, 2020 08:49PM

.17 = Jail time, excessive fines and legal fees, loss of license, ASAP and AA meetings, starter interlock on your car for 1 year, SR22 insurance

Good luck - Get a lawyer
Attachments:
Officer Friendly of your local Police Department.jpeg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.