HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Coyote sightings in Fairfax county
Posted by: Les ()
Date: November 27, 2011 01:11PM

Start with the food source. Don't litter food outside. Is trash put out in secure trashcans? We've got a really stupid townhomes cluster on the other side of the woods that puts out all the trash on the side of the streat and the animals come out at night to feast. I've seen raccoons, fox, coyote, deer, ... Those newer homes were built without any fenced in areas to hold outside things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bounty Man ()
Date: November 27, 2011 02:03PM

Is there a bounty on them in Fairfax co?

Posted by: Wile Eeee ()
Date: November 27, 2011 09:33PM

I have seen several Coyotes in the area of the West Falls Church Metro. (inside the beltway). They have a distinct gait, run kind of side ways with their head and tail down and avoid humans.

Posted by: Joseph Hanley ()
Date: December 09, 2011 01:37PM

You can find my profile on Face book and search my name. I've seen the devastation the coyotes can do to a ranch first hand when I lived in Oklahoma. I know how to take care of them and have the tools and personnel to do so. We will hunt them free of charge if the county is unable to pay a bounty. Please feel free to contact me through email at joey011582@yahoo.com or facebook.

Posted by: Scott Schuler ()
Date: January 04, 2012 11:12AM

I can confirm there are certainly coyotes in Fairfax because I shot one with my bow and arrow two nights ago in Great Falls. It was a 45 pund male who was hunting with two other coyotes about 15 minutes before sunset. They trotted behind me while I was 15 feet up in my stand and I stopped the lead yote with a yelp and got off a clean shot that dropped him 5 yards from where I shot him. I was hunting a 5 acre private residence whose owners have small dogs and they were conserned with the recent coyote sightings and the threat to their pets. 100% confirm they are here and I have pictures to confirm.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: January 04, 2012 11:44AM

I saw one today on Blake Lane, small and young but otherwise healthy looking.
I hope it avoids the heros that can't wait to kill something.

Posted by: SAMMY ()
Date: January 04, 2012 12:52PM

Night Owl

If they have pups, keep away from them. Thousands of coyotes live in the Chicago area and other metropolitan areas and go unnoticed - they are very shy creatures. As far as being a threat to pets - pet owners shouldn't let thier pets out on thier own at night or during the day - it is irresponsible. There are ways that coyotes and humans can coexist. As for "killing all predators" - that is bs. We have enroached on their land to and the are crucial to a healthy ecosystem. Imagine all the mice, rats and other disease-carrying critters that would be around without them.

Shooting a gun or bow, or laying out poison (that could also be eaten by people pets or children) in a populated area is MUCh more dangerous than the threat of a coyote.

Posted by: Mary ()
Date: January 06, 2012 03:45AM

I live in Old Town Manassas. I have seen a single coyote in my yard 3 times, until tonight...Tonight it was 2 Coyotes. This time my boyfriend also saw them.

They were not the same mangy one who has been hanging around. First time I saw one I thought I was seeing things. The mangy one was super Ugly...seemed hungry and scary. Tonights pair looked very well fed...that doesnt sit so well with me either....

We live right behind Manassas Shopping Center. Now our little dog cant go outside without the Big dog. And I am sure to make lot of noise before I go taking the trash out....they seem just a little too brave for my liking.

One night the mangy one was inches from my front window, sitting under the eaves staying outta the rain.

Posted by: Stones ()
Date: January 06, 2012 08:20AM

My guess is that half the people who see coyotes are actually seeing fox. The fox around here are huge.

Regardless, coyotes were everywhere about 8-10 years ago. The cicadas came and went. The next season was a huge surge in small mammals that ate them as a food source and following that was a huge surge in fox and coyote. I saw a bunch around this time. One running with a broken front leg on Lee Chapel.

Coyote will stalk prey and fox tend to be scavengers and in this area, live mostly off road kill. I have foxes living under my deck and they are perfectly harmless. My out door cat even mingles with them some time.

The person who mentioned the gait, that's a huge difference. A coyote kind of floats and the stride is much longer. A fox has a super quick stride, like a trot but then also appears to bounce when going faster. A fox will also face you and bark. They usually run but stop and look at you. A coyote usually just gets away. Might look back, but probably won't stop, sit and stare. A lot of this also makes a difference if you are near their den.

Anyway, I didn't know coyotes were back until this thread and it looks like some of you have legitimately found some. I only write this so people who think they have coyotes can tell the difference if they are fox no action is needed. They won't bother you unless they eat a rabid something off the road.

Posted by: stones ()
Date: January 06, 2012 08:23AM

Scott Schuler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can confirm there are certainly coyotes in
> Fairfax because I shot one with my bow and arrow
> two nights ago in Great Falls. It was a 45 pund
> male who was hunting with two other coyotes about
> 15 minutes before sunset. They trotted behind me
> while I was 15 feet up in my stand and I stopped
> the lead yote with a yelp and got off a clean shot
> that dropped him 5 yards from where I shot him. I
> was hunting a 5 acre private residence whose
> owners have small dogs and they were conserned
> with the recent coyote sightings and the threat to
> their pets. 100% confirm they are here and I have
> pictures to confirm.

I agree with what SAMMY said but you do what you have to do. Post your pics though. You should get a tattoo like the tattoo in "Hostel" because you are now a coyote killer. Maybe the trend will spread.

Posted by: Pulpy Frank ()
Date: January 06, 2012 08:35AM

We need a bounty system in the area. They are everywhere.

Date: January 06, 2012 09:28AM

I vote for more coyotes and less Yuppies and illegal aliens

Posted by: Nokesville Redneck ()
Date: January 12, 2012 12:32PM

I killed one in Nokesville Va.
Attachments:
coyote 002.jpg

Posted by: Soss ()
Date: February 07, 2012 07:58PM

I found this site by doing a search of Coyote's in Fairfax County. It was about a month ago on Henderson Rd. right near that really big house/horse ranch near the sharp bend, a mile or so after you turn off Yates Ford road coming from Manassas. It was about 5:15 am, and had I been closer, I would have mowed its ass over!

Yes keep the pets inside, especially any female dogs in heat. therwise you may end up with a litter of Coy Dog pups!

Posted by: Foxey lady ()
Date: February 07, 2012 08:06PM

If you see a fox in the daytime, does that mean in might have rabies? I thought those suckers were nocturnal.

Posted by: Henderson Rd ()
Date: February 07, 2012 08:06PM

I can hear them at night. Yelping like crazy.

Date: February 08, 2012 07:26AM

Nokesville Redneck Wrote:
> I killed one in Nokesville Va.

Good show!
Now, I hope you get cancer.

Posted by: wiley ()
Date: February 08, 2012 07:33AM

"If you see a fox in the daytime, does that mean in might have rabies? I thought those suckers were nocturnal."

not necessarily some foxes go out during day
probably nocturnal to avoid the traffic

Posted by: Soss ()
Date: February 08, 2012 01:35PM

Just when I thought I saw the only Coyote I would ever see on Henderson Road, I was two cars back on Henderson Road this morning and wone ran out in front of the full size pickup in the front. They ALMOST got it but spiked their brakes which of course cause a chain reaction. And they were so close too!

Posted by: animal ()
Date: February 08, 2012 01:48PM

The feral cats in my neighborhood have removed most of the prey, so the coyotes don't seem to come around (awhile back there was a wounded one trotting (as best it could) through my back yard, but that was like a year ago).

Posted by: only seen two of them ()
Date: February 08, 2012 01:55PM

first time was about 10/11 years ago, along the creek bed by the parking garage/deck of the 4 big red brick office buildings off eaton place.

at first i thought it was a dog, then realized it wasnt and was maybe a fox. those that have said their gait is unique are spot on, as this thing wasnt moving like any fox i had ever seen before.

then a couple years ago one right in my backyard, over near wolf trap. havent seen once since, as i imagine all the deer have kicked their coyote asses so much they dont want any more pain, so they've moved on.

if only i could train the fox and groundhogs to kick the asses of all the deer things would be good.

Posted by: Coyote or fox? ()
Date: February 13, 2012 12:39AM

I think it's hard to tell. We saw what we initially thought was a fox before dusk on our street in Ffx, stalking a person walking a small toy dog. It ran off, and in retrospect looked more like a coyote. People tend to make assumptions based on what they know--you don't expect to see a coyote in suburbia, especially when there are limited public parks or "wilderness" areas, so our expectations are just now catching up to the new arrivals.

Posted by: wiley ()
Date: February 13, 2012 08:30AM

I haven't seen a coyote in over a year. Over were that ice scream store used to be on main street(near cottman's) but i've seen even more foxes than in the past. hell almost hit one the other night. Ain't coyotes going to go after the foxes or they have a peace treaty?

Posted by: Andrew ()
Date: February 20, 2012 09:05PM

Neighbor saw one in her yard on 2/16/2012. We're near Clifton Rd & Maple Branch Rd., about 1 mile east of the town of Clifton. Plenty of foxes in our area ... for now.

Posted by: fredy ()
Date: February 21, 2012 07:59AM

I am hearing them howl like crazy at night now in Fairfax Station, sounds like a human scream and before morons comment, no not a human screaming

Posted by: Aryan_Foster ()
Date: February 21, 2012 09:39AM

fredy - you are the real moron here.

The 'human scream' you are hearing is a fox-call. This has been well documented and is commonly understood. We hear it all the time in Clifton and know better.

Posted by: Clifton and Henderson Rd ()
Date: February 21, 2012 04:42PM

Neighbor said she saw one last night in her driveway.

Posted by: Dunno ()
Date: February 21, 2012 10:21PM

Last week I saw a dead animal on the shoulder of the 28 north exit ramp off of 66 west that I thought might be one, but it was kind of mangled and hard to tell.

Posted by: Uh oh ()
Date: February 28, 2012 07:25AM

between homeless and coyotes in the woods i think twice sometimes about going for a hike alone these days goldilocks

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-10-29/entertainment/canada.singer.killed_1_coyotes-taylor-mitchell-canadian-folk-singer?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ

Posted by: RaeRae ()
Date: April 03, 2012 11:37PM

Hey Chris
i live in Lorton right near Ft Belvoir. About a month ago at about 10am a coyote ran into my backyard grabbed a squirrel and ran off with it in its mouth. A few days later I saw a dead coyote along 7100 close to Rte 1. They are definitely here...kinda scary as the live one i saw just pounced so quickly and with force that i can imagine that if one was intent on causing harm to a human if would be no problem.

Posted by: notfairfaxbutAtown ()
Date: April 03, 2012 11:55PM

Posted by: Ewww ()
Date: April 03, 2012 11:59PM

So, if you have a big dog that you like to put in your fenced yard at night, would a coyote attack the dog or vice versa? Maybe now my redneck neighbors will change their habits and bring their Rottie in at night.

Posted by: Sorry ()
Date: April 04, 2012 12:01AM

Posted by: dagnabit ()
Date: April 05, 2012 06:32AM

haven't seen coyote in long time but foxes all the time. I'd think coyotes would go after the foxes?

Posted by: postpoppunk ()
Date: April 06, 2012 07:40AM

I hope that the Coyotes take over and kill most humans. I have always wanted nature to take back what we have fucked up --- even if using force. It would, also, thin out the herd of humans by killing off the weak, sick and ignorant.

I wish we had bears, hundreds of bears.

A Minor Threat

Date: April 06, 2012 08:15AM

postpoppunk Wrote:
> I hope that the Coyotes take over and kill most
> humans. I have always wanted nature to take back
> what we have fucked up --- even if using force. It
> would, also, thin out the herd of humans by
> killing off the weak, sick and ignorant.
>
> I wish we had bears, hundreds of bears.

agree times 1,000

Posted by: Mr. Jingles ()
Date: April 07, 2012 03:30AM

Ever seen the movie WOLFEN? ghost wolves of New York City

Posted by: John jr ()
Date: May 29, 2012 01:31PM

Saw one walking down the road this weekend in Mason Neck. Im sure their is more.

Posted by: rip road runner ()
Date: June 17, 2012 07:56AM

Dagnabit Wrote:
> Anyone seen any repeated sightings of coyotes in
> these parts? Saw the recent news story about the
> police having to track a mess of them in New York
> City(pace).(wolfen) I figure with the parkland
> around the Great Fals area there should be
> sightings on a regular basis. I see fox' on a
> regular basis these days. And understand that the
> grey fox will come out during the day and not
> necessarily because of rabies. Who wins a fight
> between a coyote and a fox?
> I understand you can see weasals all over Tysons
> Corner.

mated with wolves
Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: June 27, 2012 02:43PM

Re: mated with wolves
Posted by: woods in Clifton ()
Date: June 27, 2012 04:39PM

We have a coyote and we have foxes in our development. Mating with wolves is news to me.

Re: mated with wolves
Posted by: HowlinWolf ()
Date: June 27, 2012 04:50PM

woods in Clifton Wrote:
Mating with wolves is news to me.

Don't try screwing one of them. They might be hard to catch and
they can carry rabies. Better stick with humans.

Posted by: Les is more ()
Date: June 28, 2012 05:36AM

haven't seen a coyote in ages but foxes all over the place

Date: June 28, 2012 08:14AM

Leaving the house in the 4AM to 5AM timeframe, I've been seeing a young coyote roaming around the Arlington Blvd, Fairfax Blvd, Blake Lane, Pickett Road area.
Looks healthy and alert. You can only get a quick glimpse before he bolts.

Posted by: Braddock Rd ()
Date: June 28, 2012 11:54AM

There appeared to be one this morning on the side of the road (roadkill) on Braddock Road just outside the beltway. Thought it was a fox at first but at second glane I'm pretty sure it was a coyote.

Posted by: JenK ()
Date: June 28, 2012 12:06PM

This area is overpoulated. If you care about your $2,000 poodle, keep it ona leash, they're animals, they didn't choose to lose their forests so we could have more homes in ffx cty. Enough seem to be getting run over, just get over it.

I had a HUGE fucking skunk in my yard in Springfield about 12 years ago(and a little one too) I stayed out of the yard at night and secured the trash better. I guess you'd be happier if I'd shot it? And it was HUGE, I had no idea they could even get that big.

If it breaks in your house, yeah, shoot it, if not, try to get along with nature....now please berate me for caring about animals and show me a ton of articles of coyotes attacking people, I know it'll come..

Posted by: Wolfgang01 ()
Date: July 06, 2012 12:32AM

I saw a dead coyote on Braddock Rd (just outside the beltway) last week. I stopped to have a look and it appeared to be pretty healthy (before its encounter with whatever hit it), about 50 lbs.

Posted by: Les Nesman ()
Date: July 06, 2012 06:26AM

"Leaving the house in the 4AM to 5AM timeframe, I've been seeing a young coyote roaming around the Arlington Blvd, Fairfax Blvd, Blake Lane, Pickett Road area.
Looks healthy and alert. You can only get a quick glimpse before he bolts'

I've heard Daniels Run Park and the Army Navy Golf course in Fairfax City has had many sightings of coyotes.

Posted by: baddudejim ()
Date: July 27, 2012 04:22PM

Yes that 7-11 is NUTS its full of Mexicans you can't even get out of the car and they are asking for work. PLEASE man I just want coffee!!

Posted by: Lester ()
Date: July 27, 2012 04:36PM

They come out during the day because ground squirrels are up in the trees at night. I've see them stalking squirrels in the late afternoon or early evening.

Posted by: Dagnabit ()
Date: September 30, 2012 08:02AM

Recent sighting in Fairfax City near Daniels Run park, which is suppose to be loaded with them pesky varmints. Turning off Fairfax blvd. onto Rebel Run(which goes by Fairfax High) immediately upon turning saw a big grey coyote pass across in front of scurrying into the woods behind the Anchorage motel.

Also see lots of foxes these days, no not the human kind unfortunately, but had recent sighting of one very large fox. Brown colored body but with distinctive grey tail. Are them coyotes and foxes cross breeding?

Posted by: Dagnabit ()
Date: September 30, 2012 09:20AM

Is there a demonstration video of someone puffing up and making oneself larger when confronted by a coyote?

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/braddock/newsletter/august2010/coyotes.htm

No Cause for Alarm, but Watch for Coyotes in Braddock

County Wildlife Biologist, Victoria Monroe, has confirmed that, yes, we have had a County-wide population of coyotes since 2000. Coyotes are the only natural mid-sized predator in Fairfax County, and healthy adults will actively hunt fawns, yearling deer and small or injured adult deer. They can account for up to 60 percent of all fawn mortalities in a local deer population. It is possible that a family group of coyotes lives in the general area of Lake Accotink, among other locations. In fact, several have been seen in Kings Park.

The county population of coyotes is considered to be healthy. Coyotes rarely contract rabies and are not a rabies target species (unlike raccoons, bats or red foxes). Due to an overabundance of natural prey sources, coyotes do not generally pose a threat to humans or their pets. Red foxes are more likely to “stalk” cats or small dogs on private property than are coyotes.

Eastern coyotes do not generally exceed 60 pounds. Their appearance can make them seem larger due to thick undercoats, long legs and a deep chest. Coyotes are highly social, and considered to be intelligent wild canids. They form bonded pairs and the previous year’s young stay to help raise new litters. Coyotes have the most diverse array of vocalizations of any native mammal in North America.

The Fairfax County Wildlife Biologist provides the following advice:
•As with all wildlife, coyotes should not be approached, touched, baited or fed. It is important to keep local wildlife “wild”.
• Do not feed your pets outdoors. If you do, bring the food bowl in at night to reduce the likelihood of wildlife (primarily foxes and raccoons) being attracted to the food at night.
• Keep your dogs on a leash when you go for walks off private property. This is County ordinance.
•Coyotes belong to the canid family. It is important to “assert” your presence if you see one. Do not run. Make yourself appear larger than you are (puff up), wave your arms, and make noise.

Posted by: Happy guy ()
Date: September 30, 2012 08:19PM

I shot a coyote in berryville that was 65 pounds. 8 months ago I put a trail cam in my backyard and over a month recorded a pack of 10.

The most I ever have seen was in WV on a hunting trip. In the AM we were walking in a gully per say and about 400 yards up on a ridge 30 plus were running along it. I just about craped my pants seeing that many together.

They are everywhere now. I have not seen them with my own eyes but have on camera and hear them houling when emergency vehicles are going to a call.

Posted by: Happy guy ()
Date: September 30, 2012 08:23PM

Dagnabit Wrote:

>
> Also see lots of foxes these days, no not the
> human kind unfortunately, but had recent sighting
> of one very large fox. Brown colored body but with
> distinctive grey tail. Are them coyotes and foxes
> cross breeding?

Coyotes kill foxes in most situations. Around here the coyotes eat so much road kill they dont have to prey on other animals yet unless they are easy targets. Rumor has it they are cross breading with domestic dogs hence the large size.

Posted by: lee ()
Date: April 01, 2013 10:10AM

I just spotted on on Mar 23, 2013, in the woods just off the Horner Rd Commuter Lot between I-95, Prince William Pkwy, and Telegraph rd. while I was hiking in this area for the first time.

Posted by: ex-Lester ()
Date: April 01, 2013 10:43AM

One of the tv stations ran a story on a sighting in Arlington of a pack that ran through a residential neighborhood.

Posted by: Spoon ()
Date: April 01, 2013 06:39PM

Not Fairfax, but one ran right in front of me on Spout Run in Arlington about a month ago. It looked skinny and mangy, but still cool. There are a few foxes around too that seem unafraid of people. I walked past one and was about ten feet away, it didn't even look at me.

Posted by: No your name ()
Date: April 01, 2013 07:02PM

A few years ago I put a trail cam after hearing cotote pups in my backyard/woods. At first I was not sure what it was but started hearing howling at night when fire trucks were heard in the distance.

I set the trail cam to video and captured a few minutes of coyotes on the tape. I counted out 14-18 idividual coyotes. I would post up the video but due to FFU stalkers my house would be easily recognized.

I live just outside of Fairfax City.

Posted by: Now and Then ()
Date: April 02, 2013 08:07AM

All over DR Wrote:
> All over Daniels Run, by the Fairfax City golf
> course. Multiple sightings, numerous packs of
> these animals, and some are actually pretty big.
> 40-50 lbs. They aren't the scraggly looking ones
> that used to be in the area either, which makes
> you wonder, are they breeding here, or are newer,
> stronger ones moving in?
>
>
> A sort of related topic, armadillos have now been
> spotted as far as north as the Carolinas. That's
> right, from Texas they are making the trek north,
> for reasons unknown. In the next couple years,
> they shall be in FFX as well.

Must be the change in the weather, forcing them to look in this area for food.

Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: April 02, 2013 10:24AM

Lester Wrote:
> They come out during the day because ground
> squirrels are up in the trees at night. I've see
> them stalking squirrels in the late afternoon or
> early evening.

Family member saw one carrying a squirrel. Unfortunately did not take a picture with the cell phone.

Posted by: no half-talking ()
Date: April 02, 2013 11:01AM

taxpayer Wrote:
> Family member saw one carrying a squirrel.
> Unfortunately did not take a picture with the cell
> phone.

Please speak in complete sentences. Thanks.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 02, 2013 11:10AM

no half-talking Wrote:
> taxpayer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Family member saw one carrying a squirrel.
> > Unfortunately did not take a picture with the
> cell
> > phone.
>
>
> Please speak in complete sentences. Thanks.
Attachments:
grammar nazi.jpg

Posted by: Lorton 1 ()
Date: April 02, 2013 12:46PM

I've seen them a couple of times crossing lorton road where the old prison dairy was. They usually look a bit mangy and thin but they are quick.
They seem to be pretty easy to spot down in Mason Neck too, according to the locals.

Posted by: Now and Then ()
Date: April 02, 2013 01:12PM

Lorton 1 Wrote:
> I've seen them a couple of times crossing lorton
> road where the old prison dairy was. They usually
> look a bit mangy and thin but they are quick.
> They seem to be pretty easy to spot down in Mason
> Neck too, according to the locals.

That's pretty close. Are there any studies as to their numbers in this area?

Posted by: Sven the Squarehead ()
Date: April 03, 2013 01:49PM

Fox are a common sight & I hear them screeching throughout my neighborhood on the regular.
I have yet to spot coyotes, however, I don't know that I'd be able to tell the difference between a coyote and a full-grown male fox at night.

Anybody seen barn owls in Fairfax County?

Posted by: Bill ()
Date: July 14, 2013 02:27PM

We had one in our back yard in Bristow (Prince William). It was first seen at about 5:30AM on Friday morning (12 Jul 13).

Saturday (13 Jul) he was seen twice during broad daylight in the afternoon. I think there was something wrong with it because it was nosing around in the back yard while nearby kids were making a lot of noise and people were walking within 30-40 feet of where he was.....the neighbors got two pictures of it from their deck.

We live isubdivisionsion in Bristow so it's not like we're way out in the woods all by ourselves. This Coyote exhibited no fear and didn't run away....just stood there watching before it strolled into the underbrush.

Posted by: Roughbook ()
Date: July 14, 2013 11:53PM

Most definitely saw a coyote twice this Spring.
Backyard in Springfield near Lake Accotink.

Also, start a new thread.
Why continue comments on a thread started in 2010?????

Posted by: Broken Logic ()
Date: July 15, 2013 04:53AM

Bill Wrote:
> We had one in our back yard in Bristow (Prince
> William). It was first seen at about 5:30AM on
> Friday morning (12 Jul 13).
>
> Saturday (13 Jul) he was seen twice during broad
> daylight in the afternoon. I think there was
> something wrong with it because it was nosing
> around in the back yard while nearby kids were
> making a lot of noise and people were walking
> within 30-40 feet of where he was.....the
> neighbors got two pictures of it from their deck.
>
>
> We live isubdivisionsion in Bristow so it's not
> like we're way out in the woods all by ourselves.
> This Coyote exhibited no fear and didn't run
> away....just stood there watching before it
> strolled into the underbrush.

Can you post the pictures please?

Posted by: Jd ()
Date: May 20, 2014 11:49PM

Just ran into a large coyote on Long Pine Drive in North Springfield while walking my dog. This thing ran off making sounds I've never heard before. Screaming and howling like a crazed animal, very fast too. It then ran back and stood in the middle of the road, staring us down. Now I will carry my weapon for safety.

Date: August 29, 2014 01:49PM

Fairly sure I saw a coyote on Gunston Rd. at Ft. Belvoir near the Class Six store. It was grey/tan/brown, no bushy tail, and troted like a dog. Legs were longer and head not as triangular as a fox. This was about 1845 h yesterday. Seems to have been about 20 inches at the shoulder.

Posted by: Debra Mixon ()
Date: October 08, 2014 09:02AM

Sorry to rattle your world, but yesterday while sitting in tree stand on National forest bow hunting with hubby, 4 large coyote chased down 4 deer full size adults. The first coyote was definite alpha biting at tail of deer. We didn't see end result, but we have noticed no fawns this year in that area. These coyotes were definite hybrids with wolf. Take stock of your kids and pets.

Posted by: Fairfax Bob ()
Date: October 08, 2014 05:24PM

Eastern Coyotes aka Coy-Wolfs. A hybrid species with DNA of both coyotes and wolves. Watched an interesting PBS Nature documentary about them on Netflix the other night. You can watch it online for free:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365159966/

They can all be traced back to Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada where the last surviving eastern wolves lived and met up with coyotes moving east.

Posted by: Paul D/ ()
Date: May 03, 2017 10:44AM

I saw a coyote last evening, about 10:45 PM, in the 5600 block of Heming Avenue in North Springfield. He/she was walking along the sidewalk and did not appear troubled by my slowing down to observe. I saw two in the same neighborhood about two years ago, walking in the snow behind the houses, but this was the first I've seen close to the street. The animal was yellow or amber in color--or so it appeared under street light illumination.

Posted by: 9bY34 ()
Date: May 04, 2017 01:35PM

Posted by: wiley coyote ()
Date: May 04, 2017 11:26PM

coyotes brought in alot of new virginians....
Attachments:
BarackCoyote2WebCR-7_8_14.jpg

Posted by: Canis Latrans ()
Date: May 05, 2017 07:35AM

Paul D/ Wrote:
> I saw a coyote last evening, about 10:45 PM, in
> the 5600 block of Heming Avenue in North
> Springfield.

I saw a coyote near Arlington Cemetery last weekend. I pulled into a parking area to turn around and thought it was weird that some dog was just standing there in the grass under a tree. As i pulled closer i was like "whoa, that ain't no dog". It was bold enough to just stand there looking around, wasn't bothered at all by cars driving around. I'd be a little cautious walking my dog around the parks down there, definitely not the kind of place you'd expect to see an animal like that.

Posted by: kingfish ()
Date: December 01, 2017 01:28PM

This happened 11/30/17 around braddock rd, twinbrook

After hearing some wild animal barking at night(11 pm),looked out side door, some animal ran flying by driveway. Hard to discern what it was but it was low to the ground and furry, looked like close to 40 lbs, To my surprise , another came, flying by fast like a blurr,
then another, then another. In total 6 -8. Couldn't have been deer
Had the look of predator pack hunt, quite a sight

Posted by: 4GU7B ()
Date: December 01, 2017 02:24PM

We have Coyote's in McLean over near the river, see them all the time.

Along with Bear, Deer, Fox, Skunk, Raccoon, Opossum, Rabbits, Turtles, Snakes and other small critters.

We have a few Red Tailed Hawks that hang around and plenty of Turkey Vultures that show up when there are dead deer along the road. Many Wood Peckers as well. Have seen a few Wild Turkey's along the GW Parkway over the years as well. But occasionally the Turkey's from Claude Moore Farm get loose in the area as well.

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.