HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Nats
Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: April 03, 2007 08:04AM

Well, I wonder how Manny Acta is feeling today? I expected the Nats to be less than stellar this year. But to crash and burn like that on Opening Day is embarrassing beyond words.

I hope this is a learning moment for the Lerners (and Stan Kasten, who should know better). You can't field a team on the cheap, especially in a market like Washington where you are competing against so many other teams and events for attention. This isn't Kansas City or Milwaukee or, frankly, Atlanta, where fans will wait years for a winning team. Look at what is happening to the Caps. Same thing will happen to the Nats if the Lerners don't pony up some dough for a decent pitching staff - Pronto!

I'm just glad I'm not a DC-resident footing the bill for this over-priced stadium they are building in "da hood."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Nats
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 03, 2007 08:25AM

I love people that base the entire season prediction on game 1.

Not that I expect them to do well either, but I was expecting the crash-and-burn yesterday. They have a brand new manager, new owners, basically a new team, and a crappy old stadium that barely attracts anyone.

I think it would be easier for you if you just pretended the first Nats season is whatever season they get the stadium... life will be more relaxed.

Date: April 03, 2007 08:37AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love people that base the entire season
> prediction on game 1.
>
> Not that I expect them to do well either, but I
> was expecting the crash-and-burn yesterday. They
> have a brand new manager, new owners, basically a
> new team, and a crappy old stadium that barely
> attracts anyone.
>
> I think it would be easier for you if you just
> pretended the first Nats season is whatever season
> they get the stadium... life will be more relaxed.

Well, when John Patterson is the best pitcher the team has, I think it is an indication of what is to come for the season. As for the season starting when the new stadium is built, they are trying to sell the suites for the stadium right now. Good luck doing that if the team truly sucks ass this season. I think the residents of DC have a right to have a team that is competitive, considering the amount of money they are paying for all of this.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 03, 2007 11:58AM

WASH NATS 2007 40-142

Date: April 03, 2007 12:17PM

496 Wrote:
> WASH NATS 2007 40-142

Wasn't the least amount of wins ever 29? I think we could be looking at a new record.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: April 03, 2007 08:06PM

yeah. I was there opening day. Tailgating in the sunshine was relaxed. Sat in the shade up in the 500 section. Lauged my ass off when Teddy Rosevelt got stuck on his zip wire. ALL the fine ladies in summer best. Had some burgers, bratwurst with onions and green peppers. FREE HAT DAY! oh yeah the nats were playing but their 9-2 performamce was the least of the entertainment that day. Remember they aint boo'in they are chanting GUUUUUUZMAN and NOOOOK. Until he broke an ankle THWAPPing the wall that is

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2007 08:07PM by ferfux.

Posted by: frank howard ()
Date: April 03, 2007 09:38PM

You can never tell with a young team how they will do over a long season. Their pitching is suspect but their hitting isn't so bad.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 03, 2007 09:53PM

It's not over yet, but tonite's game was pretty ugly.

I'm not one of those fairweather fans that just say "Fuck the Nats", "fuck Lerner", "I won't root for them until they spend more money", etc...you are either a fan no matter what, or you are not a fan.

But tonite's first few innings sure were painful.

Posted by: Frank "hondo" howard ()
Date: April 03, 2007 10:01PM

I have seen other teams spend big bucks and still come up empty. But the Marlins went all out that one year and took the world series. I am not sure we will ever see anyone buy a championship like that again. The following year they held a fire sale and then they got destroyed.

Date: April 04, 2007 09:16AM

Read it and weep...

http://www.wbaltv.com/sports/11515480/detail.html

I'm not about to say "fuck the Nats" or "fuck the Lerners," but it is obvious these team needs some real starting pitchers TODAY. Stan Kasten may want to be Branch Rickey and build a team through the farm system. What Kasten fails to realize is that when Rickey did that with the Brooklyn Dodgers, most years they sucked. So much so they ended up in LA.

I also love how everyone praises The Nationals bullpen. The team does have some good relievers. However, when you rotate through 8 relievers in one game and use your relievers ad nauseum, they begin to lose their effectiveness.

In other words, pay some money to get some starting pitchers.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: April 04, 2007 02:40PM

Zimmerman is the Only Keeper on that whole roster. Expect to see him next year and all the others GONE

Date: April 04, 2007 03:05PM

ferfux Wrote:
> Zimmerman is the Only Keeper on that whole roster.
> Expect to see him next year and all the others
> GONE

Hmmm.

I think Chad Cordero and Nick Johnson are keepers. Maybe Jon Rauch. But, yes, Zimmerman really is the Derek Jeter of this team. Too bad this team is nothing like Jeter's team.

Posted by: The NOOK ()
Date: April 05, 2007 06:07PM

Put the first CURLY W of the year in the books! NATS WIN NATS WIN!

ok so the nats have prospects in the ole farm system. Too bad the farm system is SHIT. They need to take some of that money they are saving by shaving payroll from 60 to 33million and get some free agents next summer.

Posted by: Frank "hondo" howard ()
Date: April 05, 2007 07:41PM

Owning a baseball team is a rich persons play toy. They have them to make themselves part of an elite club. You do have a few owners who take an active interest in winning, like him or not Steinbrenner is one. Angelos is not as he is just too money grubbing but being a lawyer what can you expect.

Posted by: The NOOK ()
Date: April 05, 2007 07:42PM

Yeah but the Yankees have decided to KEEP prospects for once and NOT buy a bunch of proven vets this year! holy crap what a differance

Date: April 06, 2007 08:55AM

The Nats don't need to load up on a bunch of bitchy, whiney free agents like the Yankees or Skins. They just need three or four starting pitchers who don't throw 50 pitches in one inning or put the team so far in the hole by the third inning that a team full of Zims can't dig them out.

Posted by: erik ()
Date: April 06, 2007 10:09AM

Fairfax MF---er Wrote:
> The Nats don't need to load up on a bunch of
> bitchy, whiney free agents like the Yankees or
> Skins. They just need three or four starting
> pitchers who don't throw 50 pitches in one inning
> or put the team so far in the hole by the third
> inning that a team full of Zims can't dig them
> out.

Great point. Jesus christ enough with the 30 minute top of the first! I'm glad I wasn't at the park last night, freezing my ass off watching crap-tastic Bergmann throw 50 pitches for 3 outs.

Date: April 06, 2007 10:30AM

erik Wrote:
> Fairfax MF---er Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Great point. Jesus christ enough with the 30
> minute top of the first! I'm glad I wasn't at the
> park last night, freezing my ass off watching
> crap-tastic Bergmann throw 50 pitches for 3 outs.

I don't really get why Bergmann is a starter when Micah Bowie was throwing like he was. Bowie had been a starter at one time, hadn't he?

Date: April 11, 2007 02:38PM

The Nats were blanked in Atlanta. They have the worst record in baseball - approaching historical standards...

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/2007/04/11/ap/sports/d8oea0100.txt

...Is it time to say "Fuck the Lerners" yet? Pay for some fucking pitchers!

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 11, 2007 02:41PM

...Is it time to say "Fuck the Lerners" yet?

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I'm having a hard time even turning their games on, I can't imagine what it'll be like a month or two from now. Ugh.

Posted by: SaMiViMa ()
Date: April 11, 2007 03:00PM

Sorry, a little off topic here, but I say "F**K the Lerners" and it has nothing to do with baseball.....

Date: April 11, 2007 03:13PM

I'm not sure if the Lerners just don't give a rats ass, or if Stan Kasten wasn't really responsible for the Braves' success or what.

Maybe it is just the DC sports curse. Jaeger comes here...and sucks. Jordan comes here...and sucks. Half the NFL comes here...and sucks.

Posted by: here is help ()
Date: April 11, 2007 07:04PM

Not much to look forward to in this area for professional sports. The Nats could go down as one of the worst teams ever. The Wizards should never have changed their name from the Bullets. Watch for the Redskins to be next to have a politically correct name change. New team will something bland like the Washington Gridlocks.

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: April 11, 2007 11:40PM

I like watching the Nats play the Balitmores. Reminds me of when I was in CA and watched the Giants vs. Dbacks, west coast fuck yes! I like the two closest teams play each other because it gives you a warm feeling inside, like you're actually worth something to the world, even though SF and Arizona are far away from each other. fuck the oakland As and padres.

Posted by: Bryce Harper ()
Date: March 21, 2016 06:46PM

Bout ready to start the season!!!!!

Posted by: Not that good ()
Date: March 22, 2016 06:21PM

I predict another mediocre season

Posted by: Training Room ()
Date: March 22, 2016 06:38PM

Depends who's healthy. Non-baseball people fail to understand that (or much of anything else) about the game.

Posted by: In the cage ()
Date: March 23, 2016 12:01PM

They've been scoring pretty well down in Florida. Could all be an illusion still, but scoring is always a better thing than not scoring.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.