HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
what ever happened to Fritzbee's
Posted by: cat gut ()
Date: April 01, 2010 08:00AM

Fritzbees was a great restaurant back in the day. Why would the Great American whatever group drop it. Had many great meals there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what ever happened to Fritzbee's
Posted by: Rebecca ()
Date: April 01, 2010 09:09PM

Might have had something to do with Hunters Woods Shopping Center being a cesspool.

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: April 01, 2010 09:44PM

how's it going, Rebecca?

Posted by: Dip Sum ()
Date: April 02, 2010 12:44AM

You ain't speaking of the one that use to be in Annandale/Koreatown is you? Didn't that one get bought out by some South Korean conglomerate and turned into a Korean bar b que place with a very special hot n spicy sauce?
You don't see many cats wondering around old annandale anymore.

Posted by: Fritz ()
Date: April 02, 2010 12:50AM

Not sure what the connection is between Fritzbe's and Hunters Woods shopping center...the Fritzbe's I remember was in Annandale where Silverado (Great Anerican Restaurant Group) now operates (still free of Korean influence). Fritzbe's was awesome back in the late '70's. Time possibly took its toll, although I think Fritzbe's would be as popular today as it was back then!

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: April 02, 2010 01:33AM

There was a Fritzbees in Annandale "town center" (it was never called that at the time) and one in Fairfax Circle. Both are now Great American Restaurant establishments that are pretty similar to Fritzbees.

Posted by: GAR Historian ()
Date: April 02, 2010 09:12AM

The Fairfax Fritzbees is now Arties (same company.)

The Annandale Fritzbees is now Silverado (same company.)

The Rockville, MD Fritzbees closed down because the company no longer liked the business climate in Rockville and they had gotten some alcohol violations there.

The Reston Fritzbees was sold to Artie of Arties Restaurant fame and he made it into a billiards place before they tore down the shopping center. I don't remember the name, but I think that he relocated it to Manassas.

Date: October 04, 2010 12:25PM

I worked at the Rockville one for many years, on several occasions - it was behind Pier 1 Imports, (no longer there either) - BUT, back in the day, they had a BEACH PARTY for the employees at ALL of their restaurants...bussed everyone down to Dewey....free food and drinks...was AWSM!

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: October 04, 2010 01:06PM

Artie's has some great food.

Posted by: Steve ()
Date: November 13, 2010 04:25PM

I miss the mozzarella sticks and the rasberry sauce.

Posted by: Heyseed ()
Date: November 29, 2010 10:16PM

Kinkey Jinkey sandwich, yards and schooners of beer, free popcorn DJ's on the weekends.

Posted by: Fritz B. ()
Date: November 30, 2010 01:45AM

Heyseed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kinkey Jinkey sandwich, yards and schooners of
> beer, free popcorn DJ's on the weekends.

All innovative ideas, back in the day. Maybe there can be a comeback.

Posted by: DoWhut ()
Date: November 30, 2010 12:06PM

The Fritzbees in Annandale had the best brunch and their apple cobbler was the bomb.

Posted by: Jefferson Davis ()
Date: November 30, 2010 02:19PM

I once plopped in the toliet at Fritzbies after eating the kinky jinkey

Posted by: Whodat ()
Date: January 05, 2011 04:42PM

Kinkey Jinkey makey Stinky!

Posted by: dshrtcke ()
Date: February 09, 2011 05:08PM

Loved the one in Reston, The barbecued shrimp was delish!

Posted by: just me ()
Date: February 09, 2011 05:28PM

Use to hang out with friends sometimes on the weekends at Arties.

Posted by: Veggie ()
Date: February 10, 2011 08:32AM

GAR rented a beachfront house in Dewey for the managers during the summer. All you had to do was call the main office and reserve a room for the weekend - that was in the early '80's, I'm not sure how long that lasted. I used to work in the main office and we never got any food discounts at any of the restaurants. When Howard Stern was on DC 101, he would do someone's job and broadcast live while doing it. Howard & Robin came to the Fairfax Fritzbe's and did a radio show from there. Their job was to serve lunch and drinks to "the beautiful women of GAR." That's the only time the office personnel got free drinks becuase the owners wanted us all to be loose by the time Howard & Robin arrived. Needless to say, we were all wasted by 11:00 am and after Howard left, they made us all go back to work at the office on Maple Ave. in Vienna. To this day I thank God I didn't get a DWI or kill someone on my way back to work.

Posted by: mara_sove ()
Date: February 10, 2011 09:19AM

You're kidding!! They made you drive back to work?

Date: February 10, 2011 09:34AM

No I'm not kidding! The owners ran a tight ship and I remember waking up in the GAR office later that day wondering how I got there. Turns out, I drove myself. The company did not provide transportation for us, so when Howard left we were told to go back to the office and get back to work! It's a miracle that we all got back to the office in one piece.

Posted by: GAR Historian ()
Date: February 10, 2011 10:01AM

I remember the similar situations at the summer picnics back when they provided kegs. You were on your own to drive home and some people would work the PM shift half-drunk and sunburned.

Date: February 10, 2011 07:46PM

Summer picnics were not offered to the office slaves ~ we never got anything! The only office perk was a secretary who kept a giant bowl of peanut M&M's on her desk for one of the owners. GAR did pay for those M&M's. We got to grab handfuls now and then when nobody was looking!

Posted by: sarah m ()
Date: March 22, 2011 08:23PM

i was a waitress at the Reston one and once dumped a bloody mary in a woman's lap on her birthday....fun times....wish i knew how they did those mozzarella and rasp sauce.

Posted by: Leigh Kay. ()
Date: March 25, 2011 11:30AM

Please, don't make fun of my GAR!

Posted by: DWM ()
Date: July 12, 2011 09:34AM

If I remember correctly, I'd get the French Dip. Also saw Joe Gibbs there a few times (@ Hunter Woods location). My family liked that place, though the center and neighborhood got a bit scary.

Posted by: AHS ()
Date: July 12, 2011 11:55AM

Leigh Kay......Did you graduate from Annandale in '89?

Posted by: former "Tunnel of Love" ()
Date: July 12, 2011 01:04PM

RIP Bob Baber.... Annandale mgr. Mike R is still a jerk, no matter how popular Mike's is.

Posted by: Mikes in Springfield ()
Date: July 12, 2011 01:21PM

kicked me out. Apparently you aren't supposed to wipe your buttocks with the table cloth.

Posted by: JayMeeO ()
Date: July 12, 2011 08:39PM

Love the one off Gallows road: sweetwater. Especially their wings, lol!

Posted by: samtree ()
Date: November 03, 2011 08:04PM

When did you work at Fritzbe's in Rockville??? I worked there for a long time in the 80's.

Posted by: SpindaWheel ()
Date: November 04, 2011 11:02AM

I remember the Fritzbees in Fairfax had spin the Wheel night on Wednesdays. On the hour someone would spin the wheel and whatever the number came up that is what a draft beer cost for that hour. You could order up to 6 and at the end of the hour they would come by and take whatever you had not finished. The numbers on the wheel went from 5 to 99, with most of the numbers being 9, 13,17,22, etc..... Cheap beer and lots of it. Great Times

OOHHHH and Monday was Long Island Ice tea night... $1.00 for a beer mug of Long Island Ice teas!!! Man what a great time we had at that place!

Posted by: Ah the memories ()
Date: November 04, 2011 08:40PM

A thread that is sane, and good memories. Fritzbees, and their delicious ice cream, and their laid back location. Also the Ground Round and Po Folks. The area has not changed for the better.

Speaking of restaurants, was there a Church's chicken somewhere in Falls Church, or a sit down type of place? Probably where the Long John Silvers is now on Rt 7, a family type of place. Just a random thought, but thanks to all for such good memories.

Posted by: beer baron ()
Date: November 05, 2011 04:22AM

SpindaWheel Wrote:
> I remember the Fritzbees in Fairfax had spin the
> Wheel night on Wednesdays. On the hour someone
> would spin the wheel and whatever the number came
> up that is what a draft beer cost for that hour.
> You could order up to 6 and at the end of the hour
> they would come by and take whatever you had not
> finished. The numbers on the wheel went from 5 to
> 99, with most of the numbers being 9, 13,17,22,
> etc..... Cheap beer and lots of it. Great Times
>
> OOHHHH and Monday was Long Island Ice tea night...
> $1.00 for a beer mug of Long Island Ice teas!!!
> Man what a great time we had at that place!

I remember the yard of beer. The thing that held the extra sized beer looked like a bong of some type.

Posted by: Joy ()
Date: December 30, 2011 08:28PM

I used to work in Hunters Woods Plaza and spent a lot of time at Fritzbe's. What was the managers last name - Jim K - I remember it was a Greek spelling. I saw him once later at the Fritzbe's in Fairfax.

Posted by: Tim R. ()
Date: April 08, 2012 06:43PM

For some strange reason I just thought of Fritzbe's at Hunter's Wood Shopping Center even though I moved from there 9 years ago. Did a quick Google and found this forum. Fritzbe's was special to us as we lived "around the corner" in the Deepwood townhouse neighborhood in the 90's. As a young, expecting couple, Fritzbe's was a place we could walk to for a fun time with good food. When our daughter was born we brought her with us to the delight of the employees. This was in 1990. We loved the place and it was our neighborhood hangout! The entire shopping center was great, with the True Value Hardware store (I still have all the tools I bought there!!) and Mr. Bob who was a bagboy at the Safeway. That place is very special to us. It was all removed and replaced with a fancier plaza which was very nice too. I think that was around 1995 or there 'bouts. Reston will always hold a special place in our hearts as it was where our little family started and we made lifelong friends!

Posted by: VA N8ive ()
Date: April 08, 2012 08:44PM

Mr. Bob, if it is the same guy (I am guessing it is), has been at the Safeway in the South Lakes shopping center for 15+ years!

Sorry to go off-topic from Fritzbe's. We used to go to the one in Annandale in our late high school/early college years.

Posted by: Andy Ck ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:28PM

This was the best dance spot in No Va. back in the early 80's.Can't forget the yards and schooners of beer.

Posted by: Jerry Boyd ()
Date: June 21, 2012 03:38PM

I worked at Fritzbe's from '78-'88. What a blast.Still hang out with a lot of alums.

Posted by: Tom G ()
Date: October 11, 2012 03:59PM

Yeah . . . Fritzbee's! Now there's a company that knew how to boost employee morale AND keep it there! There was the annual Beach Party; the Halloween party; the Christmas and New Year's Eve parties. And what about the free employee meal, every day. The “french dip” was my favorite. I still savor the thought. I was a just kid. Worked at the Annandale location for one year, right out of high-school (Annandale High, class of 82). Started in the kitchen on salad prep and desserts, moved to line cook, then ended with making and serving the happy-hour spread (spiced shrimp, oysters on the half shell, buffalo wings and other things). I'd make silly sculptures out of the cheese ball on special occasions. On Easter, I made a large rabbit figure, carrot sticks for whiskers, black olives for eyes and nose, etc. The first patron (seems she was already pretty sauced) came up with her friends and handily lopped the head off, which then readily rolled onto the floor. They were just having a good time. Somewhere I once read it was voted the best happy-hour spread in the DC area. Who knows?

Anyway, I still have fond memories of THAT time in my life. Of course the highlights center on those special employee parties with all that free booze. No “kitchen nightmares” there. If there were any, I didn't see them. Gordon Ramsey would likely hear about how fun the atmosphere was for both employees and patrons. New Year's eve, 1983, Mike R had us-cooks magically turn into limo drivers. He locked the front doors (VIP only) and sold a $50 a plate special package to romantic sweethearts, where you would be picked up at your home, driven to the restaurant with the driver (me) serving you Champagne along the way. As a recent High School graduate, I loved it.

Of course, these days, from a prudent business perspective, I don't think I'd have taken those risks. Someone above wrote they ran a pretty tight ship. But, looking back on it, I don't think those drinking parties were such a good idea, especially for those employees who had to drive afterward. My roommate and I volunteered to cook for the 10K run Sat morning at the Reston location. That was cool, not because of the free food, but there was (free) open bar for those who volunteered. Whoohooo! I was not an experienced drinker though and I certainly learned something called “Know your limitations” THAT day. After several melon shooters, things were really looking up. We stumbled out of there and onto an adventure at the food store nearby (Safeway, I think). Long story short, after having a slap-happy time there, trying to help people carry their bags to their cars and falling about, we were arrested! Thank God! We were on our way to the my car to drive those twisting roads back to Annandale. I had never, ever, even been close to being arrested before (I was a pretty low profile, law abiding kid), but that night was spent in the tank at the Fairfax City jail.

Mike hired a lawyer for us (and for his company I'm sure). We went to a hearing the very next day and we were out. Thank God again! I worked there for serveral more months, but avoided getting into trouble like that again.

In the end, the drunken stunt aside, I walked away from Fritzbee's with a good dose of respect for the concepts of Customer Service and Employee Morale. Both concepts have served me well in business, I just wish I could do it as well as Mike and his team did. Thanks Mike!

Posted by: Terry ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:39PM

Fritz Wrote:
> Not sure what the connection is between Fritzbe's
> and Hunters Woods shopping center...the Fritzbe's
> I remember was in Annandale where Silverado (Great
> Anerican Restaurant Group) now operates (still
> free of Korean influence). Fritzbe's was awesome
> back in the late '70's. Time possibly took its
> toll, although I think Fritzbe's would be as
> popular today as it was back then!

I used to live in Springfield and we always went to Fritzbe's in Annandale for the mozarella and raspberry and the drinks. What was the name of that drink that had all of the fruit juices and alcohols? Those things were awesome!! A few of those and you were good for the night! Lots of good memories! I miss the awesome Beef Ribs from H.I. Ribsters too. Ahh, those were the days!

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: March 14, 2013 12:58PM

We pay homage to Fritzbe's every month or so with a homemade "Bartender's Sandwich"...a great one if anyone remembers it. We did them on Tuesday.

Posted by: Taz ()
Date: March 14, 2013 08:34PM

Fritzbe's Fantastic Flying Food Factory!! Didn't they have a popcorn maker in the place? For some reason I remember that, between the drinks and fun times!

Silverado's was great when it first opened, but I haven't been there in years.

Date: March 15, 2013 08:20AM

Yes, popcorn machine and a HUGE sandwich menu w/ crazy names....a very new and vibrant concept when it opened. Yes, I think the brand would still do fine in today's market...very unpretenious.

Posted by: Sounds Interesting ()
Date: March 17, 2013 02:01AM

Sleepy Holla Wrote:
> We pay homage to Fritzbe's every month or so with
> a homemade "Bartender's Sandwich"...a great one if
> anyone remembers it. We did them on Tuesday.

Hey, what's in the Bartender's Sandwich, I wanna try to make one.

Always on through lookout for good sandwiches.

Date: March 17, 2013 07:57AM

@SI, It's a crispy breaded Chicken Breast (or fingers), Canadian Bacon, Bearnaise Sauce, Swiss Cheese, on a 8 inch hoagie roll. It's seems weird, but there is nothing like it. For ease at home we use Tysons crispy fingers and Knorr Bearnaise mix. Fab!

Posted by: busboy ()
Date: June 04, 2013 01:14PM

I worked at the Reston Fritzbees as a bus boy in the 80's - great times (most of it highly illegal).

Great American Restaurants (GAR) is still around - Sweetwater, Arties, Mike's American Grill, Carlyle Grand, Costal Flats, Jackson's, Ozzie's, Silverado, Best Buns, etc. The chicken fingers are now chicken tenders, the ribs are still the same but those batter motz sticks with the rasberry sauce were legendary!

They still run a tight ship and have moved away from the frivolity that went on at places like Fritzbees probably to avoid issues like Tom G describes above

Posted by: Tango ()
Date: June 04, 2013 01:28PM

I was a bartender at the one in Reston from 80-83. His name was Jimmy Kavaliorados (sp) Great guy. Came after Bobby Baber passed to early.

Posted by: Sunshine Girl ()
Date: June 06, 2013 03:34PM

I was a waitress at the Reston location, then went to the Rockville location as Asst. Head Waitress when it opened early 80's. Moved away June, 1982, but had lots of great buddies & great fun when working there. A real experience !

Posted by: Slack ()
Date: June 07, 2013 07:53PM

I worked for Tom McClellan at Fritzbe's Downtown Annandale (as we used to say when ansering the phone) from 88-91. It was a great place, the staff was like a big extended family and we always hung out together. THAT was when PICOS PIZZA was on Main Street, Fairfax, not too far from Mason.

Posted by: John DuBois ()
Date: July 08, 2013 07:14PM

What was on the Jack Herrity burger?

There were some pretty awesome Jack Daniels' pork chops on the menu too!

Posted by: cl ()
Date: July 28, 2013 08:32PM

I workEd In annandale in 1980 . started as a dishwasher move my way to cold sidE. Loved The Sandwich Names, Like The Muff Diver, I Was Only Sixteen At The Time Amd All Those Waitreses Looked Fine, Seemed Theyhad Sandwich Names On The Back Of The Shirt And They All Wamted That name. Lots Of Good People Worked There, Pepe, John S, The Big Guy That Fell Outta The Jeep. They Even Got Me Intp Luis Rock City for the Battle of the Bands, I was just sitting here tonight thinking about the best job I ever had, and those memories started flooding in. that's how I wound up here. At Close We all wanted to sweep the floor because you knew you'd find $20 bills. and at the end of the night they would open up the taps for the employees. Sweet Job, but a lot of stuff probably wouldn't fly now

Posted by: derfx ()
Date: July 29, 2013 05:27PM

one thing for sure, Artie was a great boss.

Posted by: JoeG ()
Date: July 30, 2013 02:33PM

I was a bartender at Fairfax Circle in 1980. My first night behind the bar was the night John Lennon was shot. I will never forget that night. I will also never forget all the great times I had working with that crew. . .Claudia, Betty, Renne, Bob W, Bob Baber (RIP), Alan Pinto. . . .what a great time in my life.

Posted by: Joe Groomes ()
Date: July 30, 2013 02:56PM

Jerry Boyd. . . . . .what's happening old friend??????!!!!!! Life has been good but had to grow up and get out of the bar biz in 1990. What great times working with all you guys at Fairfax Circle.

Posted by: tony conti ()
Date: September 13, 2013 12:03PM

WOW...a Blast from the past....i worked there in the late 70's and early 80's..I met my wife on mothers day 1983 at the fairfax location...we have been married for 30 yres now...I too can not forget all the saturday nights we help Sat Night Live parties at the bar....Bob Baber will always be missed...what was the other manager...Al maybe was his name..he would wear the god aweful ties on SUnday mornings because he know we were all hung over....also..after closing we would call over to a place in old town Fairfax....forgot the name...and they would have shots and beers waiting for us...when we would arrive they woudl call last call...

great time of my life....

Posted by: Mr. Suit ()
Date: September 13, 2013 12:17PM

Hence this time forward the name Annandale will be called ASIAN TOWN.

1. The name Annandale may only be used but only when referring to the past(25 years or older).

2. ASIAN TOWN has a well established animal control system in place. No need to call Fairfax Animal Control.

3. ASIAN TOWN's assumed speed limit will be 10 to 15 miles lower than what the posted speed limit is. Speed signs will not be updated as to save Fairfax County money.

4. ASIAN TOWN's highschool is officially Thomas Jefferson. If you are not of Asian decent then a waiver maybe granted if you can prove that you have a tiger mom.

If any other ammendments need to be added please provide your input below:

Posted by: Mr. Tie ()
Date: September 13, 2013 01:11PM

You should feel free to go fuck yourself, Mr. Suit.

Posted by: TJHS Class of '78 ()
Date: January 26, 2014 08:59AM

SpindaWheel Wrote:
> I remember the Fritzbees in Fairfax had spin the
> Wheel night on Wednesdays. On the hour someone
> would spin the wheel and whatever the number came
> up that is what a draft beer cost for that hour.
> You could order up to 6 and at the end of the hour
> they would come by and take whatever you had not
> finished. The numbers on the wheel went from 5 to
> 99, with most of the numbers being 9, 13,17,22,
> etc..... Cheap beer and lots of it. Great Times
>
> OOHHHH and Monday was Long Island Ice tea night...
> $1.00 for a beer mug of Long Island Ice teas!!!
> Man what a great time we had at that place!

As I recall, it was called the "Sud's Wheel". and I also remember some accommodating waitresses who would spin again if it didn't land on 50 cents or a quarter or something low.
Best sandwich IMO was the Kinky Jinky- massive turkey and bacon sub, almost a jumbo club sandwich I guess. Wish I knew the exact recipe.
I grew up about 3/4 mile from and attended Annandale Elementary when it was a school....
ACTION-dale is what we jokingly called Annandale. Sure has changed.

Posted by: Bobo Aladingo ()
Date: May 15, 2015 02:45PM

I waited tables in the Fairfax Fritzbe's in the early 80s. It was already transitioning from the fun, loosely organized theme of the Annadale's location to the "Fern bar and brass" that was everywhere in the late 80s. Annadale's was my favorite-- the Pope Albert Patrick Michael Hose sandwich, free popcorn, and friendly waitresses with tight t-shirts. My oh mai...

Posted by: Irememberanita ()
Date: May 15, 2015 04:23PM

Waitress named Anita used to serve us all the time. Had to order the furburger every time.

Posted by: Jeff Monaco ()
Date: April 25, 2016 02:54PM

Worked at the one in Reston in 1982/1983, the year the Redskins went to the Super Bowl during the strike season I think. Gray pants and pink shirts; so 80's! Great bar and beautiful girls and very long hours...

Posted by: Harry Balz ()
Date: April 25, 2016 05:21PM

Not sure about the Reston one but the one that was in Annandale is now Silverados - owned by the same people. I believe that is correct anyway.

Posted by: Good eats... ()
Date: April 26, 2016 07:55AM

Harry Balz Wrote:
> Not sure about the Reston one but the one that was
> in Annandale is now Silverados - owned by the same
> people. I believe that is correct anyway.

Fritzbe's was created in 1976 by the three guys behind Great American Restaurants. The Fairfax Circle location became Artie's in 1985. The Annandale location became Silverado in 1996. Also during the 1990's, the Reston and Rockville locations were sold to their local managers, as was the original Picco's Pizza in Fairfax. At the same time, the Carlyle Grand Cafe and Mike's American Grill were brought online. The Sweetwater Tavern concept followed in the 1990's, with Coastal Flats joining in the 2000's, and Jackson's and Ozzie's since. The most recent addition was the third Coastal Flats location, which marked a return to Maryland. Of the three original partners, one has died, one has retired, and the business is mostly run by the family of the third.

Posted by: Hondo ()
Date: April 26, 2016 08:18AM

I had many a "Yard of Beer" at Frizbees back in the day. There was a trick to drinking it. Don't tip too quickly unless you want a shirt-front full of Bud. That Annandale location was a great hang-out.....

Posted by: Nice place ()
Date: April 27, 2016 11:30AM

Don't know about yards of beer, but Silverado has some very good fajitas.

Posted by: bKMYK ()
Date: April 28, 2016 08:46AM

Copy that! There are a couple of other places that have them too, but Silverado does fajitas right. Great ingredients and lots of them!

Posted by: Nice Guy Eddie ()
Date: April 28, 2016 09:31AM

I met one of the owners in the late 80s. He said their target market was sandwiches and beers for the college age crowd. When the drinking age went up to 21 that pretty much ended it for the Fritzbee's business model.

Posted by: Social Scholar ()
Date: May 25, 2016 02:40PM

The Latin population increase and the all american population decreasing is what happened to Fritzbee...

Posted by: Fritzbe's ()
Date: May 25, 2016 05:48PM

I worked at the one in Annandale in the 90's until Joe J and Tom M left. They repLaced Tom with some douche bag Eric Leskovar and all the cool people quit. It was a great place until the owners changed it to Simverados.

Posted by: YeFjM ()
Date: May 25, 2016 08:16PM

GAR is like the CIA. Everyone moves around a lot.

Posted by: Bgm ()
Date: January 10, 2017 08:54AM

@Joe G, what was John the bartender's last name? Tall, burly, brown curly hair, lived in Vienna.

Posted by: Wango ()
Date: June 15, 2017 03:27PM

John Wolford.

Great guy, is in real estate now. Used to send back the metal milkshake cups full of dark beer for some of us late night cooks, in exchange for prompt appetizers for his bar customers during the crazy rushes. Thank you, John. And you're welcome.

John & Jerry Boyd were the rockstar bartenders at Fritzbe's Fairfax. Antics ensued nightly, but those guys were experts at instigating and keeping people out of jail at the same time.

Alvin Baylor was one of the funnest and funniest bosses I have ever worked with, and offset the lameness of some of their fellow managers (***cough*****Kenny Spence**cough*). Will never forget the afternoon he called us all into the kitchen to tell us Baber had passed away...I'm sure all GAR employees of that era remember that day in the manner that people recall the death of Kennedy or Lennon, etc.

I got fired at the end of a Saturday night by the kitchen manager at least 4 times, only to be rehired by Baber on Monday morning.

Now...where is John Sasso, Neil O'Shea, and Barry Stritton?

Posted by: SteveBannon ()
Date: June 19, 2017 08:26PM

I loved the ho s that worked for GAR-especially Mike's in Springfield. There was this Bolivian chick name Anna that was banging the chef at the time-this fat fuk that lived in loudoun co with some HUGE Hose, wife/kids. My happy hour buddy was a mortgage broker that helped this chef pull $$$$ outta his house equity just to keep this FREEEEK happy. Three cash out refinances within a year(circa 2002-2003). This was when Randy nortons son john was GM. Everyone bashed JILL, but I found her super attractive bc she was single and heiress to the GAR throne. Sadly, she dated some guy from Falls church that was arrested for playing naked ping pong with high school kids. I wonder what Jill is wearing tonight....

Posted by: UNC BB ()
Date: August 12, 2018 04:07AM

My wife and I would go to FRITZBE'S back in the late 70's. Just loved it !!
Does anyone know what the ingredients were in the sandwich called Alice doesn't live here anymore ???

Posted by: Aviatornot ()
Date: August 12, 2018 11:33AM

I have a menu somewhere from Fritzbe’s / I’ll dig it out and see if the ingredients are listed. I loved the mozzarella cheese sticks with raspberry sauce and the vegetable sandwich.

Posted by: UNC BB ()
Date: August 12, 2018 10:19PM

Thanks Aviatornot for taking the time to find your menu. That would be great if the menu listed the ingredients !

Posted by: Cami ()
Date: September 26, 2018 11:45AM

Any luck on the menu? trying to recall the cheesy dip with sour cream and salsa...

Posted by: Aviatornot ()
Date: September 26, 2018 02:45PM

It’s in one of a dozen heavy boxes that got packed up when we emptied the bookcases to paint the wall behind. Hopefully I can get them unpacked this week because I want to take a trip down memory lane too.

Posted by: Brown Onion ()
Date: September 26, 2018 02:59PM

Its where I first discovered my bowels turned to goulash.

Posted by: aviatornot ()
Date: May 04, 2020 04:15PM

I’m sorry. I finally found the menu (late 70’s Reston location) but Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore isn’t on it.
Attachments:
5714174E-3ED6-4B88-BE95-D1F358E7D04F.jpeg
FEBFE4CB-653C-4D0D-815A-B5F899DC1154.jpeg
B29AC719-5026-44DD-AC21-1250353D3638.jpeg

Posted by: Does The Saslaw Special ()
Date: May 04, 2020 05:03PM

Come with a fire lane parking violation ? Or a fire lane parking permit ?

Posted by: Was There A Jack Sandwich ()
Date: May 05, 2020 12:04AM

For Jack Herrity ? Did it come with a speeding ticket ? I say it was MAGA and was the forerunner of huge buttered hot Maine Lobster rolls as Jack Herrity's leadership built Tysons Corner and Fairfax County into the economic engine of Virginia . God Bless RIP Jack The Rolling Road Jogger Herrity

Posted by: Darrell Smith ()
Date: December 26, 2021 10:18PM

I would give my kidney for the orange marmalade dipping sauce recipe. It came with the chicken fingers…mmmmmmm

Posted by: Barb Chinnis ()
Date: January 23, 2023 10:36PM

Does anyone know what was in the sauce for the Kinky Jinky. That was my go to sandwich on my waitressing shift back in 1977. Best sandwich I ever had. I would love to find a menu.

Posted by: Mr. Norton ()
Date: January 23, 2023 10:52PM

We decline to divulge this proprietary recipe.

Posted by: Richard Durst ()
Date: September 23, 2023 06:50AM

My favorite memory of Fritzbee's is the free dinner for two I received at the Rockville location when I gave them a photo of myself running on the Great Wall of China wearing a Fritzbee's 10K Rockville Pike Race T-shirt. It was framed and hung at the entrance of the restaurant. That was back in 1985.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.