HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cox Cable Phone Deposit Not Returned
Posted by: OD ()
Date: April 02, 2007 07:48PM

I was an existing customer in good standing with Cox cable, and yet was still charged a "security deposit" when I added cable phone service. They never returned this deposit a year later despite three phone calls to them, and promises to do so each time. I finally got my money back after I made a complaint to Fairfax Conty four months after I should have been reimbursed. It's got me wondering if this is a scam they are pulling. Anyone else sign up for Cox cable phone, and not get their deposit back?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cox Cable Phone Deposit Not Returned
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 02, 2007 08:17PM

kinda light on details there. You didn't even try to get into Cox's explaination.

If you filed a complaint there is paperwork for you to get them (more facts) from.

Posted by: the weatherman ()
Date: April 02, 2007 08:40PM

Sounds like someone with a bad credit record wants to complain to Cox. I don't recall having to pay a security deposit. Maybe he didn't return his cable modem or something. But then again Cox is hard to deal with so there maybe something to this, perhaps class action suit is in order.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: April 02, 2007 09:08PM

Cox couldn't afford to return your deposit because they spent it all on mailings. I think I get an ad for their digital phone service every other day and they switch the envelopes (all very generic, no mention of Cox on the outside) on a regular basis to trick me into opening them.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 02, 2007 09:59PM

I get an ad for their digital phone service every other day

I get those alot too, it's annoying. They even send me ones written entirely in Spanish.

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: April 02, 2007 10:17PM

Those mailing help warm my house in the winter.

Date: April 03, 2007 08:08PM

Ha! Ha! I wish I had used those ads for something so useful. Here is my complaint to Fairfax County Department of Cable Communications and Consumer Products that finally resulted in a refund four months later than I should have received it:

I am appealing to your office to investigate Cox Communications’ practice of requiring security deposits for cable telephone service, and failing to refund the security deposits after the one year period.

In September 2005, I called Cox to add cable telephone service to our account. Although we already held an account in good standing with Cox for digital cable and broadband, and have a credit rating around 780--the Cox representative informed us that a security deposit would be required. We were offered the options of having the deposit prorated over a three-month period by adding the cost to our first three bills, or paying the full deposit up front. When I stated that I wanted to pay it upfront, I was told my social security # was required. I was very surprised at this request, and questioned the representative on the legality of it, but ultimately, reluctantly gave my SS# over the phone.
When I received my first bill, I found that Cox had added one-third of the security deposit to the balance--prorating it despite our telephone agreement. When I called Cox to complain, they apologized for the mistake and told me that after six months the deposit funds would be returned.

Six months passed and I called Cox to ask where my refund was. I was now told the grace period was in fact a year.

Twelve months passed--still no refund. I called Cox again in September 2006. The representative looked up my account, noted that her records also showed that I had not received my refund, and asked if I would prefer to have the money added to my account as a credit rather than a check mailed. I told her I did not have a preference, and a credit was fine. It has now been 16 months, four billing cycles since the refund should have appeared, and Cox has still not issued a refund or a credit.

It is disconcerting enough that Cox Communications profits from requesting and holding security deposit funds (from established accounts) for a year. But it is even more so if they are not ever reimbursing their customers.

I have bank receipts showing that all payments were made in a timely manner, although Cox regularly posts payments made to my cable bill to my phone bill and vice versa, as they inexplicably use the same account number, yet bill them separately. Should you need any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me at 703.XXX.XXXX(cell). Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Posted by: Good Speller ()
Date: April 04, 2007 08:19PM

Your credit score is nowhere near 780, so kindly shut the fuck up.

Date: April 05, 2007 05:06PM

Shame. This site could be a real asset for Fairfax County residents if it wasn't trolled by foul-mouthed adolescents who are probably still living at home and their parents are paying their cable bills. 780 is not that big a deal honey. Fairfax County is the wealthiest county in the nation, and there some of us old folks who have paid our bills on time for longer than you've been out of diapers.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 05, 2007 05:26PM

if it wasn't trolled by foul-mouthed adolescents

Don't pay attention to these passive-aggressive nimrods, 780 isn't hard to obtain if you pay bills on time. I don't doubt that Cox screwed up your account somehow, I've been having an irksome problem with my Cox digital box that they seem unable to fix when I call their tech support. But they definitely do a great job at pushing their digital phone service.

Posted by: OMG LOL totally HELLA FUN-E ()
Date: April 05, 2007 06:00PM

OD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shame. This site could be a real asset for Fairfax
> County residents if it wasn't trolled by
> foul-mouthed adolescents who are probably still
> living at home and their parents are paying their
> cable bills. 780 is not that big a deal honey.
> Fairfax County is the wealthiest county in the
> nation, and there some of us old folks who have
> paid our bills on time for longer than you've been
> out of diapers.
dont worry you will be BACK in diapers soon granpa

Cue the music,.

(cheesy sitcom music from the 50's)

Gravis as Ward Cleaver...

Reston Peace as June Cleaver

OD as Wally!

and introducing Jerry Mathers as

THE MEEPER!

Date: April 06, 2007 01:37PM

I hope it was an error with my account, but I have a feeling there is more going on. What is really creepy is that Cox OWNS Equifax. They have been in a "partnership" since 2002, and pre-check your credit b4 they send out all those mailers. Interesting press release on this at: http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-03-2006/0004353960&EDATE=

So if you get junk mail from Cox, it's an indication that they already know your credit is good. So why on earth would they need a three-month security deposit, and your SSN? I would never have remembered giving them a deposit if they hadn't asked for my SSN--it went against everything I've read, raising a red flag. Now this one company has my credit report, my internet, tv, and phone records.

An interesting aside--I asked a neighbor (who had signed up for cable phone around the same time) if she remembered the required security deposit. She couldn't remember, but thought it rang a bell. Here's the rub--she didn't save bills, so she has no record of the deposit if it was prorated over her first three bills. She also doesn't get paper bank statements, and her online banking transactions only go back 6 months. So after a year has passed, most people would have no record of having left a security deposit a year earlier.

I got my money back, but I'm just posting this last note as food for thought for anyone who's thinking of signing up.

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: April 06, 2007 02:08PM

There are many consumer protection groups that can help with your situation.

If I were in your shoes I would contact the:
Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission or the FCC (as they regulate both cable tv and telephone services)

You may also wish to take a local route such as WJLA's "7 on your side" or WTOP's "Call for Action"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2007 02:09PM by Cary.

Posted by: Enough already ()
Date: September 09, 2020 07:17PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.