HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Old Squire Rockwell site
Posted by: King of Annandale ()
Date: March 20, 2010 03:13AM

What's going up on the location of the old Squire rockwell and Exxon station(how long had that Exxon been at that location? 50 years?) at Little River Turnpike and Prosperity?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Squire Rockwell site
Posted by: scottydfl422 ()
Date: March 20, 2010 02:33PM

I remember when it was Esso before it became Exxon. No idea what's going in on that site

Posted by: Narp ()
Date: March 20, 2010 04:51PM

According to the Fairfax edition of the Thursday section of the Washington Post it said a CVS. Saw it a month or so ago on the map of what's going where or whatever it's called.

Posted by: MG ()
Date: March 25, 2010 12:33PM

Check out 8700 Little River Turnpike at the Government link. CVS is correct but dont know what the "hearings" on 5/05/2010 mean. Would rather they do something else with the land. There is a CVS at Faircity. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/staffreports/pcboscasestatus.pdf

Posted by: Mr Captcha ()
Date: March 25, 2010 02:08PM

MG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out 8700 Little River Turnpike at the
> Government link. CVS is correct but dont know
> what the "hearings" on 5/05/2010 mean. Would
> rather they do something else with the land.
> There is a CVS at Faircity.
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpz/staffreports/pcboscasestatus.pdf

Looks like it's a Planning Commission hearing...
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/planning/calendar/calendarmay10.pdf

Posted by: Squire Rockwell ()
Date: March 08, 2012 11:54PM

So 2 years later and no activity on that site. what happened?

Posted by: CVS ()
Date: March 09, 2012 12:09AM

There is a "CVS coming soon" sign attached to a chain-link fence at the site. There were several pickup trucks there on Wednesday afternoon as well; contractor'esque.

Date: March 09, 2012 04:28AM

Haven't been by the site in couple weeks. Seems like they've added another stoplight on Little River Turnpike

Posted by: Too many crap stores ()
Date: March 09, 2012 06:53AM

Shame to put up another CVS when we're all starving for a martial arts school, a bank branch, hair salon, or starbucks.

Posted by: Steak and the bad salad bar ()
Date: March 09, 2012 07:02AM

Did you all ever eat at Squire Rockwells? I went there a few times only discovering the place within a year of its demise. It had an interesting atmosphere. The live music thing going on, the decent steak, and the pretty bad salad bar. I liked the decorations on the walls. A cozy place once, a CVS to be.

Posted by: res ()
Date: March 09, 2012 11:51AM

G*d Damm*t....another friggin pharmacy. What is it where every piece of new property has to have either a bank or pharmacy or both.

A decent restaurant to replace the old Squire would have been ideal.

Posted by: the squire ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:08PM

what was probably "upper scale" dining in the 70s, but never actually seemed to change, as in the 90s it was so comically dated. me and my boys used to eat there every now and again for comedic reasons. i think the wait staff had about 5% turnover, based on the age of some of them. the plush chairs, dark wood, decor on the walls, all so beautifully done up in 70s high fashion. the piano bar was money! IIRC, the place caught fire and it was determined to be insurance fraud?? the seems to be the story that sticks out in my mind.

Posted by: People's Drug ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:16PM

Narp Wrote:
> According to the Fairfax edition of the Thursday
> section of the Washington Post it said a CVS. Saw
> it a month or so ago on the map of what's going
> where or whatever it's called.

Oh, "thank" the Christ there's a DRUG STORE going in there! I'm so fucking tired of going an EXTRA half-mile to the OTHER CVS! It's so "refreshing" to see so much chain retail development in this area...I was beginning to think we were "losing our souls" what with all of the locally owned businesses...

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 09, 2012 03:04PM

To be fair the site isn't big enough for much more than a single, modest sized stand alone business or a small office facility, and it is largely surrounded by residential areas. Most smaller retailers prefer being around other retailers, or prefer more space for their stand alone facilities. Also the location is convenient to a number of medical facilities and CVS may be thinking they will be able to catch those patients' business. Frankly I'd prefer a facility more convenient to my house than my doctor's office, but maybe that is just me.

Besides a pharmacy or a small office facility I'm not sure what would make sense for that location. If the site was larger I'd think it would be a good place to put a grocery store. On 236 there isn't anything between the Safeway in Annandale and the Shoppers in Fairfax.

Posted by: STFU-- ()
Date: March 09, 2012 03:05PM

Shut up, Jew.

edit by Cary: This is an example of the type of trolling "Alias" brought. I will reveal the IP address in this instance since it's obviously a proxy or tor exit-node. This poster's IP address is 108.46.249.204 aka pool-108-46-249-204.nycmny.fios.verizon.net. This poster is also responsible for the wave of anti-jewish and anti-catholic material on the board in recent days. Many of this user's post have been removed but I will add this comment to those which remain. Please see this thread for more information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2012 09:06PM by Cary.

Date: March 10, 2012 02:33AM

"the place caught fire and it was determined to be insurance fraud?? the seems to be the story that sticks out in my mind."

I never saw anything in the papers about the fire being insurance fraud. But yeah it did seem suspicious at the time. Was the owner ever prosecuted?
Wonder if he owned the land and if he had been contacted by CVS about the site before the fire?
anyone know who owned the Exxon site? Where they original owners of land and gas station?

i'm curious like larry from the corner

Posted by: whiterussian ()
Date: May 07, 2012 10:44PM

The big Squire Rockwell's sign is gone now. Any idea who snagged it?

Posted by: Saw it Saturday ()
Date: May 07, 2012 10:52PM

whiterussian Wrote:
> The big Squire Rockwell's sign is gone now. Any
> idea who snagged it?

It is crumpled up on the southeast corner of the site. A shame. Would have made a nice trophy.

Date: May 08, 2012 02:38AM

"It is crumpled up on the southeast corner of the site. A shame. Would have made a nice trophy"

like those crumpled up memories of the most beautiful blonde I still have ever seen who frequented the joint some 25+ years ago

I took a few pictures of the sign. ah the memories

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: May 08, 2012 01:29PM

A fucking CVS. Great. Just what we need. Only 1 per every 1/10th of a mile. Damn! Can't we get a Cabelas, a Bass Pro Shops, something cool? Dave and Busters? C'mon!

As for Squire's, miss their lobster pricing. Excellent food, although a dark atmosphere. Different, which was cool though.

Posted by: anon1 ()
Date: February 09, 2016 01:15AM

i'm a bit late, but I know the owner. It was an electrical fire, and the insurance company refused to pay out, claiming arson. Eventually the owner won the lawsuit, but got a fraction of what he should've.

Posted by: uuVnjv ()
Date: February 13, 2016 04:43PM

Did they build anything on the site?
There really aren't any decent restaurants around there.

Posted by: Country Store ()
Date: February 14, 2016 07:44PM

Charles V. Summerton purchased the property and built the 21st century equivalent of a country store, a place where you can purchase everything from toilet paper to prescription medications. It even has a drive thru.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.