HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
the Grass war: Home Depot stops selling straw
Posted by: your lawn ()
Date: October 05, 2019 03:17PM

I've tried Scott's advice to use soil on new grass seed instead of hay: many times many different areas. It did not improve things much: I had a lawn area full of empties (which btw get filled in with weeds). I used 3x as much seed as Scott's said so that wasn't it. I'll now have to use a ton more seed to fill in what was missed using "over-seeding" which totally sucks.

(lawn soil results: ok coverage only if everything is perfect and 1/2 likely to fail: over all a total pain in the ass and little assurance, guaranteed to fail in difficult areas and need repeated attempts)

I later tried straw/hay, 1st time, and got near 100% an area grown just perfect. (note: if you don't use enough it won't work 1/2 as well, need a full but light cover).

HD used to charge $75 for a bail of hay before they stopped selling it. Now they only sell pine needles which isn't even useful. They only sell lawn soil**

Lowes charges ~ $12 for a bag of straw (500 sq ft, actually probably 250 covered correctly)

(straw results: worked excellent wherever i put down a complete layer of hay and seed: with little soil preparation work done - which counts for something)

also: all articles i know of even a Scott's associate say: once seed hit's soil it's germination begins and if not germinated dies (then why does scoots sell seed premixed with soil???? how does THAT work???)

IT'S VERY TEMPTING TO LOOK AT SCOTTS AND HD AND ASSUME COVERING NEW SEED WITH SOIL IS LEGIT. also: you'd be attracted by that lawn soil costs $2-$7 a bag (way cheaper than HD straw which is $75/bail)

"You can get poor quickly trying to save money!"

MY ADVICE for ffu: don't try to save money, use Straw. you want and need the see you planted to grow. (you have to put down 3x-5x what is recommended for a good cover: seed gets expensive), paying the extra for the straw I fully suggest.

Next Question: Why did HD stop selling straw nation wide? You can be assured farmers didn't stop growing it!

DSCF2458.jpg

Straw has been a favorite of highway and building contractors - who hasn't seen areas of hay spread while driving down the highway? Home Depot stopped selling it nation wide. Home Depot is run/managed by Californians. They also stopped selling 2.25" clamps for drying hoses selling only 2" (which only fits on NEW installations, strong arm you into buying all new hose/piping)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: the Grass war: Home Depot stops selling straw
Date: October 05, 2019 03:26PM

grass-seed-blanket-germination-strategie

it's all about "no noxious wees" (see label, noxious are infamously hard to get rid of), and germination rate

Do NOT do the above: if you can see soil easily you didn't spread it well enough and will get a %50 rate wherever you can see soil: it will be a big problem later, wasted seed, etc. you'll loose big if you cheat on straw or seed, so do only what you can afford to get done right.

Also: the net is stupid, the straw won't blow away, and if you see 1/2" of soil without any seed on it be sure it can't grow there - it will be bare later too.

Posted by: Trump.4Evuh ()
Date: October 05, 2019 03:31PM

You suck at life, OP. I have a staff of savage, illegal, mud people who take care of my lawn. Friday, I'll see a bare patch...and Tuesday it's green. Who has time for that hay bullshit?

Date: October 05, 2019 03:31PM

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-NQci81ukcGnhESakUmJ

You can get results like this if you simply don't cheat: put down enough seed and straw. Loosen soil a little first with pitch fork if not soft enough to push finger into. Put down new grass fertilizer a week ahead (water that if need be). Do the straw & seed. Water correctly the first (a few days up to a week) (then sparingly after a couple weeks optional)

They key is not to cheat, it's rather easy to get excellent results otherwise.

If you do it the homedepot way with poor seed and no straw: you'd think it was all about luck or requires expertise. It isn't it doesn't.

Posted by: r34rgtgre ()
Date: October 05, 2019 03:37PM

boda1.jpg

proof lawn soil works fine

Date: October 05, 2019 03:49PM

g1gxbwe1y8j11.jpg

Getting this? It may be where lawn tractors turn around: those commercial mowers are HEAVY and are WORSE on grass than foot traffic (keep off the grass) where ever they turn around or also on hills.

You'll be paying your "lawn contractor" to fix problems they create - and they like turning in your neighbors property to avoid your pointing a finger at them.

slider_lawn_care_02.png

Posted by: weffwewfefew23423443 ()
Date: October 05, 2019 03:55PM

Even if I was retired and had lots of time I still wouldn't give a flying fuck about my yard like this. Dead spots mean less shit to mow.

Posted by: blasto cinqo ()
Date: October 07, 2019 01:33AM

Has most of the seed being sold today been cut down or adulterated with the non-sprouting Gmo varieties that don't produce viable seeds any more?

If GMO seeds do germinate and grow seeds that germinate Monsanto sues the farmers for patent infringement. No wonder farmers are going out of business and the Chinese taking over our farms.

Posted by: roundup killz ()
Date: October 07, 2019 03:05PM

but roundup is still being sold with no modifications, could it be you believe what you see on TV (that makes you 2x as worse as PC, btw)

Posted by: roundup killz ()
Date: October 07, 2019 03:08PM

roundup killz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but roundup is still being sold with no
> modifications, could it be you believe what you
> see on TV (that makes you 2x as worse as PC, btw)

HOMEDEPOT (DEMOCRATS, CALIFORNIA) IS PUSHING CHINA COMPETITOR TO ROUNDUP UNDER HD LABEL

i tried it once: it doesn't work as advertised and i later found out it is recycled radiator fluid from china - which is poisonous to the environment (banned in usa - but california is a buncha liars)

democrats are of course doing fake attack ads on LEGITIMATE USA BUSINESSES - ROUNDUP

Posted by: ArnoldWilder ()
Date: November 27, 2020 01:23PM

Hi , I think you also need a quality lawn with holes for draining water. My friend advised me the site with artificial grass and I believed him and followed this site, I did not regret, because there is a huge selection of lawns. There are ordinary artificial grass, and there are real grass, there are lawns with a water drain and there are without. So you can order all this on this site because you will not be deceived and the quality will be really amazing. I would also advise you to go to this site. This is one of the strongest and most durable lawns out there in my experience and feedback from others. I will also be interested in reading your comments !!!!

Posted by: 0987sdf ()
Date: November 27, 2020 02:06PM

Virginia makes straw.

But soil - that's more often imported to Virginia.

Homedepot: run by a state which is corrupt enough to attack other states by intently not using available resources of that state - intentional damage.

Posted by: WNTMP ()
Date: November 30, 2020 10:30AM

Posted by: 7EWTN ()
Date: November 30, 2020 09:46PM

Posted by: DUKPE ()
Date: December 05, 2020 08:19AM

Posted by: UYC4T ()
Date: December 05, 2020 09:30PM

Posted by: Y66E3 ()
Date: December 06, 2020 02:21PM

Posted by: 99JVU ()
Date: December 06, 2020 06:00PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.