HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
DENTAL Cost
Posted by: rphk2427 ()
Date: August 18, 2019 05:46PM

My dentist charged me almost $1400 for a lower molar porcelain crown. I required a 2nd visit and then charged me an additional $350 just to put it on.

Seems to me an outrageous cost by any dentist? Also, he never discussed the overall cost of this procedure. I didn't ask but he should have alerted me of the cost first. Anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DENTAL Cost
Posted by: wally ()
Date: August 18, 2019 06:58PM

Tough shit. You should've asked about the cost.

Date: August 18, 2019 08:09PM

Bullshit. THE cost should have been quoted to me ahead of time. Should I just give them a blank check for 10 grand?

Posted by: All Dentists Are Rip Off Artists ()
Date: August 18, 2019 08:41PM

Its overtime to regulate the dental trade and make dental schools take in students after high school . Just wait until socialized medicine comes in then the Democrats will go after the dentists with price max lists to keep them from price gouging and pass socialized dental care free to the poor and all undocumented Americans you want a cosmetic grin head to Europe , dental repairs to allow people to eat will be the requirement

Posted by: Someone has to say it ()
Date: August 18, 2019 10:48PM

In an area where people routinely earn salaries that equate to $75/hour, and whose employers bill their time out at $300-500/hour, I am constantly amazed at how cheap people are when it comes to paying professionals for their services. He's got his time in it, his office staff's, his rent, his insurance, his equipment, supplies and so forth.

The complaint that dentists don't provide cost estimates before proceeding with work is fairly common. Some dentists have even been known to start doing procedures without even getting the patient's permission for the procedure. Both seem like shady practices to me, and would cause me to find another dentist. $1,700 does seem high for a crown, but not excessively so given the time involved.

Posted by: Auto Mechanics Barbers And ()
Date: August 18, 2019 11:41PM

Hundreds of other trades can be trained to be a Dentist. Its a trade skill but designed to keep the money all in the family .

America needs more dentists to do restorative dentistry instead of what has happened to the dental world in the USA ie: charlatans ripping off the public with cosmetic work raising the price for the average Jane or Joe to just get their teeth repaired. Where's the government regulation ?

So why the dire need for 4 years of useless college to go to dental school ? To keep the money eggs in their basket, there teeth repair technicians not medical doctors no matter how they try to shill it

Posted by: But Its High Tech! ()
Date: August 18, 2019 11:46PM

Did they learn that tech in the 4 years of college before dental school ?

Hell no enough said

Posted by: Space Shuttles Are High Tech ()
Date: August 18, 2019 11:51PM

So did those Nasa techs have go to 4 years of college and 4 years of dental school to be able to build a space shuttle

Yes the engineers did, not the techs ! Dentists are nothing more then state sanctioned white coated techs ripping off people with a license. How many space shuttle techs make 200-300 k a year and more

Posted by: not out of line ()
Date: August 19, 2019 01:03AM

Yeah, its generally a good idea to ask for at least an estimate on cost. It doesn't have to sound cheap, just say something like "I want to make sure I plan to have enough in the checking account".

The cost you cited isn't out of line: https://health.costhelper.com/dental-crown.html. I can see why your dentist didn't feel like an estimate was automatically necessary.

Posted by: yeah, no ()
Date: August 19, 2019 01:04AM

Space Shuttles Are High Tech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So did those Nasa techs have go to 4 years of
> college and 4 years of dental school to be able to
> build a space shuttle
>
> Yes the engineers did, not the techs ! Dentists
> are nothing more then state sanctioned white
> coated techs ripping off people with a license.
> How many space shuttle techs make 200-300 k a year
> and more

Once you've been to a bad dentist and a good dentist, you know and respect the difference.

Posted by: rrgtgrefwd ()
Date: August 19, 2019 04:21AM

how many foreigners have gotten NO dental work making a crooked deal with the doctor to BURN THE US TAXPAYER to bill obamacare for dental work never performed (or at least never needed)

OBAMA IS A TERRORIST

Posted by: YY9JD ()
Date: August 19, 2019 05:59AM

Definitely excessively, unless there was complications such as a root canal, but that should have been addressed before the crown.

If you have no other insurance, you may want to look into https://www.vitalsavings.com/savings.aspx if the dentist accepts Aetna for under $100 a year ($7.99/mo, $75/year). Though not insurance, basically you get the insurance negotiated rate with this discount plan.

Dental service, Average Cost, Average cost with Aetna Vital Saving
Crowns (porcelain fused to high-noble metal, like gold) $1,225 $817
Crowns, restorative (porcelain fused to metal) $1,188 $774

Posted by: 6YM6G ()
Date: August 19, 2019 06:08AM

Never go with a small scale medical/dental or home contractor who advertises through postal mail or on TV. There is a reason for the advertising which is they are desperate for business. They are desperate for business because of poor service. Search for companies based on Google and Yelp reviews (two of the biggest) or other review sites, and put more weight to reviews more than a few sentences (as some will post short quick fake reviews online, apartment leasing agents are noted for that). If reviews average below 4.0 out of 5.0, though strive for 4.5, with too many negative along the same theme, be suspect, and say 'Next'.

Posted by: #$#$#$#$#$#$# ()
Date: August 19, 2019 07:19AM

$1800 is high. The cost should be presented in writing before starting any work. Barring complications, like an infection, the estimate should be the price you pay. It’s like fixing your car.

Date: August 19, 2019 07:46AM

#$#$#$#$#$#$# Wrote:
> $1800 is high. The cost should be presented in
> writing before starting any work. Barring
> complications, like an infection, the estimate
> should be the price you pay. It’s like fixing
> your car.

Responding here. You are absolutely correct as it should be presented in writing and not just throwing extremely high charges at a patient after the fact. Why I say again, even with overhead costs, they should not be awarded a blank check by their patients. They once did an extraction for me and had me sign a long legal form.

I may take as long as 1 year to pay them back at say $50 a week. It shows I have good intent to pay for charges.

Posted by: #$#$#$#$#$ ()
Date: August 19, 2019 11:53AM

A crown is fairly straightforward, unlike an implant, which might require bone and membrane work, etc., which is clearly stipulated in the agreement. If they discover an infection, need to do an implant instead of a standard crown, etc., then things could change. The fee to seat the crown should be included in the quoted price or clearly portrayed in the written estimate.

Posted by: ralphk ()
Date: August 20, 2019 12:10PM

#$#$#$#$#$ Wrote:
> A crown is fairly straightforward, unlike an
> implant, which might require bone and membrane
> work, etc., which is clearly stipulated in the
> agreement. If they discover an infection, need to
> do an implant instead of a standard crown, etc.,
> then things could change. The fee to seat the
> crown should be included in the quoted price or
> clearly portrayed in the written estimate.

I totally agree with your last sentence that a quoted price or written estimate should have been given to me where instead I would have definitely gone the route of an extraction. Also, I should not have been charged a 2nd visit fee to seat the crown. So I may have negotiating room or just refuse to pay for part of the treatment. Thoughts?

Posted by: He should give you an estimate ()
Date: August 20, 2019 03:10PM

The separate fee for separate visit fee is a red herring. What matters is the total cost, not how it is computed. If the guy wants to break the cost down into two or three parts and charge you for each part as it is done, rather than charging you for one total fee, that is his choice.

Posted by: puggin ()
Date: August 20, 2019 04:20PM

My dentist ALWAYS gives me a written plan of all the steps to each procedure he needs to do with the cost of each phase. It is all expensive, and the problem is, most of the better insurances available make you wait a full year before they will pay a portion of your bill for the large procedures that are not just regular maintenance stuff. If you have an emergency within that year you are going to pay out of pocket anyway, so why waste 50S +/- a month for nothing for a year when no benefits occur? I get the plan first and spend my year saving up the cash for it, and I put off stuff that is not emergency work until I can acquire the savings to do it.

Date: August 20, 2019 07:08PM

He should give you an estimate Wrote:
> The separate fee for separate visit fee is a red
> herring. What matters is the total cost, not how
> it is computed. If the guy wants to break the
> cost down into two or three parts and charge you
> for each part as it is done, rather than charging
> you for one total fee, that is his choice.

So basically you are saying I should have been given an estimate before the work was performed, not just throwing all and any charges and expect payment. I am calling this abuse of the dental system allowing the dentist any amount he seems fit. I have every right to contest it. Agreed?

Posted by: $*$*$*$*$*$* ()
Date: August 20, 2019 07:56PM

ralphk Wrote:
> He should give you an estimate Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The separate fee for separate visit fee is a
> red
> > herring. What matters is the total cost, not
> how
> > it is computed. If the guy wants to break the
> > cost down into two or three parts and charge
> you
> > for each part as it is done, rather than
> charging
> > you for one total fee, that is his choice.
>
> So basically you are saying I should have been
> given an estimate before the work was performed,
> not just throwing all and any charges and expect
> payment. I am calling this abuse of the dental
> system allowing the dentist any amount he seems
> fit. I have every right to contest it. Agreed?

Good luck.

Why don’t you post your original agreement and the crown delivery fee bill. I have had lots of crowns and the cost of seating the crown was always, ALWAYS included in the price. This just sounds like a very expensive dentist with sneaky billing practices.

Posted by: $*$*$*$*$*$* ()
Date: August 20, 2019 07:59PM

You have the crown and the dentist has your money. Tough spot there.
Any reputable dentist presents you with a treatment estimate BEFORE they go and take apart your tooth and put another one in.

Date: August 20, 2019 09:32PM

Their was no original agreement as the dentist just took the xray and went into the root canal and crown fitting and crown replacement. Never a quoted "anything" from the dentist.

The dentist has about 1/5 of the money due, some from insurance and some from me out of pocket. The rest is what I question on how much the dentist gets.

Posted by: $*$*$*$*$* ()
Date: August 21, 2019 06:11AM

ralphk Wrote:
> Their was no original agreement as the dentist
> just took the xray and went into the root canal
> and crown fitting and crown replacement. Never a
> quoted "anything" from the dentist.
>
> The dentist has about 1/5 of the money due, some
> from insurance and some from me out of pocket. The
> rest is what I question on how much the dentist
> gets.

Tsk tsk. Shame on this dentist. Really bad practice. They should always have informed consent for both the procedure and the money details before drilling.

Posted by: wally ()
Date: August 21, 2019 11:35PM

ralphk Wrote:
> Their was no original agreement as the dentist
> just took the xray and went into the root canal
> and crown fitting and crown replacement. Never a
> quoted "anything" from the dentist.
>
> The dentist has about 1/5 of the money due, some
> from insurance and some from me out of pocket. The
> rest is what I question on how much the dentist
> gets.

You still should've asked about costs before the procedure.

Posted by: $*$*$*$*$* ()
Date: August 22, 2019 06:55AM

wally Wrote:
> ralphk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Their was no original agreement as the dentist
> > just took the xray and went into the root canal
> > and crown fitting and crown replacement. Never
> a
> > quoted "anything" from the dentist.
> >
> > The dentist has about 1/5 of the money due,
> some
> > from insurance and some from me out of pocket.
> The
> > rest is what I question on how much the dentist
> > gets.
>
> You still should've asked about costs before the
> procedure.

Yup. Live and learn. Do you also let your car mechanic do whatever with your car without approval? I doubt it.

Posted by: BlueGalaxy ()
Date: September 02, 2019 07:28AM

This is weird. But at the same time maybe it is good that the dentist decided to crown the molar instead of traditional removal. Dental costs in the U.S. have always been huge, and not all insurance companies would cover it fully. I recommend you to check this website www.insurance.us for the future so that you won't have to pay so much.

Posted by: ///// ()
Date: September 02, 2019 10:57AM

I paid $1500 for a crown recently. Signed, sealed, and delivered.

Posted by: A nice filling ()
Date: September 02, 2019 01:20PM

I went in for a cleaning. The dentist was off. The hygienist unzipped me and drained me dry. Insurance didn't cover it.

Posted by: sigfried ()
Date: September 02, 2019 06:40PM

im a dentist. shame on the dentist for not telling you in advance... Shame on you for not asking and being uninformed!! dumb

Posted by: I am not amused ()
Date: September 03, 2019 05:07PM

Save money, yank em out and replace them with dentures.

Posted by: Just ferr ()
Date: September 03, 2019 07:48PM

I went to the dentist recently, and had decent insurance. He asked if I wanted gas during my cleaning as it would be covered. So I said yes.

About 10 minutes into the cleaning I felt so relaxed that an attempted fart resulted in horrible diarrhea all over the bucket seat. The dentist immediately puked, but he was wearing a mask which made it worse.

Posted by: Mark j ()
Date: September 03, 2019 10:50PM

LMAO..Good one

Posted by: The juice is loose ()
Date: September 03, 2019 11:07PM

The juice is loose!

Posted by: soidfkjf ()
Date: September 04, 2019 02:17PM

fx co gov uses federal return taxes to help illegal aliens buy medical practices WITHOUT PAYING BACK THE TAXPAYER - I CAN PROVE THAT

the county then sends it's employees to these illegal aliens for free health care

the county ALSO uses annandale NOVA campus to give free dental assistant classes to illegal aliens

and prices? YOU PAY, they don't

it's the democrat way

and its' why we are seeking prison sentences for democrats

Posted by: 3r4fr3e2 ()
Date: September 04, 2019 02:18PM

i know white guy doctors who "suffered" years working in a practice they didn't own telling me one day they hoped to have the money to buy their own practice

what fx co gov sanctuary state gov did was an atrocity against their own citizens

Posted by: caritu ()
Date: August 12, 2020 05:01PM

Personally, I think that the dentist should have said the price in advance and the fact that he did not do it can mean different things. You could also ask how much the procedure will cost, but you did not do it in the same way. The main thing is to remember that you are paying a professional who served you with high quality according to all the necessary standards. If you are not satisfied with your dentist, then you can always find another. Although in my opinion it is generally difficult to find a very high-quality and not expensive dentist, because usually the services themselves are very expensive. But all the same, there are services such as family dentistry Seminole that can help you with any problem with your teeth and are of sufficient quality and not expensive. In general, I think both you and your dentist are to blame for your problem.

Posted by: Liquidat1on ()
Date: August 21, 2020 09:08AM

Dental care always was pricey. The price of dental care can vary greatly depending on your particular provider and their geographic location. Knowing how much cost the procedure isn’t only the dentist obligation, but and your as a patient, you know what an insurance you have an what it can cover. Communication is the better step for making good relationship with people. You don’t have a Larva Mouth https://mobilehealthdata.com/mouth-larva/, you aren’t enabled to ask the price, doc is doing his job. I know that if you didn’t ask the price, you could face it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2020 04:46PM by Liquidat1on.

Posted by: Mark j ()
Date: August 21, 2020 09:22PM

Visited the dentist in Feb and she said I needed 3 cavities filled and a crown.
Covid hit and that ended that. Mid May I got a call EVERY week from the dentist office reminding me that I need to schedule an appointment.
I was not ready or comfortable to return , so I left a message that I would call them.
They Still left a message once a week...I blocked their number.
Last night, tooth pain...now, I need to go...

They must needed the money to be such PITAs

Posted by: GlicerinEBAG ()
Date: August 27, 2020 03:14AM

Liquidat1on Wrote:
> Dental care always was pricey. The price of dental
> care can vary greatly depending on your particular
> provider and their geographic location. Knowing
> how much cost the procedure isn’t only the
> dentist obligation, but and your as a patient, you
> know what an insurance you have an what it can
> cover. Communication is the better step for making
> good relationship with people. You don’t have a
> Larva Mouth
> https://mobilehealthdata.com/mouth-larva/, you
> aren’t enabled to ask the price, doc is doing
> his job. I know that if you didn’t ask the
> price, you could face it.

I absolutely agree with your opinion obout pricey.I was going through this some years ago, and my insurance couldn't cover all the procedures, only a few of them, that are on the list.I think the dentist must discuse with you what he intends to do.

Posted by: GarrisonB ()
Date: September 07, 2020 02:24AM

caritu Wrote:
> Personally, I think that the dentist should have
> said the price in advance and the fact that he did
> not do it can mean different things. You could
> also ask how much the procedure will cost, but you
> did not do it in the same way. The main thing is
> to remember that you are paying a professional who
> served you with high quality according to all the
> necessary standards. If you are not satisfied with
> your dentist, then you can always find another.
> Although in my opinion it is generally difficult
> to find a very high-quality and not expensive
> dentist, because usually the services themselves
> are very expensive. But all the same, there are
> services such as family dentistry Seminole that can help you with any
> problem with your teeth and are of sufficient
> quality and not expensive. In general, I think
> both you and your dentist are to blame for your
> problem.

I do agree with you.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.