HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Penalty for passing a stopped school bus...
Posted by: barracuda ()
Date: March 09, 2007 12:47PM

OK, this morning around 0630 I was travelling on Route 29 heading towards Fairfax (from Centreville). There was a pickup in front of me in the left lane. There was a school bus in the right lane stopping to pick up students. This ass in the pickup would not pass the school bus when he had the oppurtunity. (when we were moving, and the school bus's lights were NOT on) So, the next time the bus was coming to a stop, she (the bus driver) moved over into a right hand turn lane leaving the right lane of travel open. As she was completing this manuever, she had the caution (flashing yellow) lights on. The pickup still would not pass. My patience was coming to an end at this point. I took the right lane and hammered down. As I was passing the bus, the red lights came on. That leads me to my question. What is the penalty for passing a stopped school bus?

Hopefully all will be fine and she didn't get my plate number. But, if she did, I want to know what I am facing. Actually, the vehicle I was driving is registered under my wife's name, so any fine/ticket will be issued to her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Penalty for passing a stopped school bus...
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 09, 2007 12:58PM

it can be considered reckless driving.

and not to scare you, but I have been in court when the judge hammered a few people about that. Lots of times, actually.

was the little stop sign on the bus out? I thought until that point everything else was just to warn you about the stop sign.

Date: March 09, 2007 01:07PM

Nahh, I didn't see the stop sign. It was actually probably coming out as I was completing the pass...

Posted by: jihadist ()
Date: March 09, 2007 01:46PM

Ive passed a bus(short 1) in my neighborhood before,the stop sign wasnt out and the lights werent flashing until i passed it,i drove into my driveway and the driver starts yelling at me.She wrote down my license plate but nothing happened.

Posted by: Peyton ()
Date: March 09, 2007 02:16PM

According to state code, it looks like the bus has to be stopped for it to be a violation: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-844

The driver of a motor vehicle approaching from any direction a clearly marked school bus which is stopped on any highway, private road or school driveway for the purpose of taking on or discharging children, the elderly, or mentally or physically handicapped persons, who, in violation of § 46.2-859, fails to stop and remain stopped until all such persons are clear of the highway, private road or school driveway, is subject to a civil penalty of $250 and any prosecution shall be instituted and conducted in the same manner as prosecutions for traffic infractions.

Posted by: Peyton ()
Date: March 09, 2007 02:19PM

I'm st00pid; I didn't read your question correctly. Hope the link helps.

Posted by: § ()
Date: March 09, 2007 02:55PM

The bus driver has no authority to issue tickets - same as a citizen's arrest. She could file a complaint, but it wouldn't materialize to anything. It's he said - she said - unless witnessed by an officer. -§

Date: March 09, 2007 03:12PM

Well, these replies make me feel better. I wouldn't pass a stopped school bus on a normal occasion, but like I stated above, I was getting ticked off. (I know, it's no excuse)

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 09, 2007 05:32PM

"for the purpose of taking on or discharging children, the elderly, or mentally or physically handicapped persons,"

is an important thing to keep in mind. Some mornings when I pass a school on the way to work, there are sometimes a bus or two with all the lights on parked along the road in front of the school. The dumbass bus drivers often leave the back hatch unlocked and people will get in there and turn on all the lights so traffic stops for it and is semi-trapped.

Posted by: jack ()
Date: March 09, 2007 05:59PM

What you did was selfish and stupid. Kids may run across the street when they see the bus about to stop. I wouldnt risk hitting some child just to shave a few minutes off my commute.

BTW a conviction for reckless is the same as DWI -6 points. Your insurance company will love you.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: March 09, 2007 06:46PM

jack, the guy above seems to be quoting a law that says it is not reckless, so go back to your readers digest.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: March 09, 2007 07:37PM

pgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "for the purpose of taking on or discharging
> children, the elderly, or mentally or physically
> handicapped persons,"
>
> is an important thing to keep in mind. Some
> mornings when I pass a school on the way to work,
> there are sometimes a bus or two with all the
> lights on parked along the road in front of the
> school. The dumbass bus drivers often leave the
> back hatch unlocked and people will get in there
> and turn on all the lights so traffic stops for it
> and is semi-trapped.

You need the ignition key to turn on the traffic warning lights on a school bus. If it is VERY early, what you might be seeing is the drivers doing their pre-trip inspection, which involves, among other things, testing all lights.

You can too be charged with reckless driving for passing a loading/unloading school bus. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-859

Be careful folks on your mad dash to work...some new buses have cameras to catch ya. Even worse, if there are an inordinate number of bus passers on a particular route, FCPD will shadow the bus in an unmarked car or motorcycle.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: March 09, 2007 09:52PM

ooof just sit there and wait for the kids to get on and off. who wants to get to work quickly. sheesh

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: March 09, 2007 10:14PM

$2500.00 fine, up to one year in jail and up to one year loss of license. That is 12 months of someone named bubba nuttin you in the ass. Your a dick. You don't deserve to drive. If your in a hurry, leave early.

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: March 10, 2007 07:22AM

If you are a young hot stud please do it again in front of a cop and then don't pull over for 4-5 miles.See you soon & bring the butt LUBE.

Date: March 10, 2007 07:51AM

duh Wrote:
> You need the ignition key to turn on the traffic
> warning lights on a school bus. If it is VERY
> early, what you might be seeing is the drivers
> doing their pre-trip inspection, which involves,
> among other things, testing all lights.

Okay, then I will amend my statement to say "the dumbass bus drivers who leave the keys in the ignition and then leave bus unattended."

But I don't think the keys are needed, and I don't think the drivers are doing that as early in the morning as I leave. When this happens I sometimes pull over and turn the lights off myself so no one is bothered by that crap. No one else is ever around. Whether or not the bus unloading lights require the keys, those lights and stop sign should not be running on a bus parked along a public street.

Date: March 10, 2007 09:19AM

Tell me how you turn off the warning lights on those buses? There are many different models of buses in the County's fleet of 1500+, On most, there are two ways of turning off the warning lights, neither of which would be obvious to the "layman".

BTW, don't get caught on a FCPS school bus for any reason. They are NOT kidding about that NO TRESPASSING sign on the step. Call the cops instead.

The pre-trip inspections take place from 5:30 to 6:00ish am. Is this about the time you are talking about? Very, very few buses are parked on public streets anyhow, and the ones that are, the driver would check to make sure there is no traffic approaching and test the warning light sequence quickly.

Date: March 10, 2007 09:36AM

I didn't have any trouble finding where to turn it off the two or three times I have had to do it in the last few years.

I don't have time to call the cops and sit there and wait, just enough to make the problem go away for myself and my neighbors. FCPD is not walking around shining lights in buses that early in the morning and I am not concerned. If the cops had been in the area they would have seen the bus lights and taken care of it already.

That is the time I am talking about (maybe a little earlier), but the lights are on, stop sign is out, and no one is around. Many buses are parked on the public street at this particular school.

Posted by: jack ()
Date: March 10, 2007 10:24AM

Reston, it is under the reckless driving code, specific instances. It is a criminal charge and not a traffic charge. You cant prepay it, you have to appear since you can actually go to jail. So at least count on a day in court being the least of your worries.

I dont have sympathy for people who would do that. When you get stuck behind a bus you see kids running from all directions even before the bus stops.
They run between cars, from behind them and across the street. Especially in the cold weather because they wait inside the homes.

You shouldnt expect much sympathy from the cops on this one. Remember they are the ones that have to respond to the kids getting hit by cars.

Besides who wants to hurry to work. With the job market today no one is fired for being late.

Date: March 10, 2007 11:07AM

Especially dangerous is a school bus unloading. Oftentimes, kids are discharged and cross the street in front of the bus. Pass a bus in that circumstance and a kid could suddenly step out from the left front corner of the bus...and believe me, most of them don't look first. You would have almost zero time to avoid hitting that kid.

In a case like that, the jury would probably send you away for a very long time. People get real emotional about dead kids.

Like somebody said....get your ass outta bed earlier!

Posted by: pissed off ()
Date: March 21, 2007 12:34AM

What a fuckin idiot....I'm glad you didn't kill a child you one way prick

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: March 21, 2007 12:51AM

Richard Wrote:
> $2500.00 fine, up to one year in jail and up to
> one year loss of license. That is 12 months of
> someone named bubba nuttin you in the ass. Your a
> dick. You don't deserve to drive. If your in a
> hurry, leave early.

I agree with this 150%. If you fucking do, you will be my hero. I'm rooting for you bud, have the most AWESOME POLICE EVER DUDE AND MAYBE IN THE END NAIL SOME BEANER CAR OFF THE ROAD. HAHA SPANISH GUY THINKS WTF JUST HAPPENED WHILE YOU SIT KNOCKED OUT AS THE POLICE SURROUND YOU. YOU JUST MIGHT MAKE IT ONE OF DEM POLICE SHOWS ON TV.

Posted by: Marioisderanged ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:26AM

Mario, just what kind of drugs are you on Bucko? You're rambling incoherent babble is wasting all of our time. You are a pox on humanity.

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: March 21, 2007 12:18PM

Who the fuck are you again? I do believe I had the right of way, and I not deranged. Simply telling the truth, is it such a crime?

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: March 21, 2007 12:18PM

I've done it before. Odds are the driver was too busy yelling at the kids to get your license #. I doubt anything will come of it. But, seriously, wouldn't it be easier just to wait out a stop versus freaking out about whipping by the bus?

Posted by: A Bus Driver ()
Date: April 04, 2012 06:54PM

You do need the ignition keys to activate the traffic warning lights on a school bus and you are probably witnessing a driver conductng a pre trip inspection.

Do you have children that attend FCPS? You should show a little more respect. I don't think they would appreciate your reference of 'dumbass bus drivers'. They may be transporting your kids to school. I find it hard to believe that you have entered a bus to turn off the lights. The buses are locked and secured at the end of each day.

Are you a mechanic? Do you have any idea what is involved in a pre trip inspection? Probably Not! If you did, you would not have made that statement about them leaving the bus unattended. You obviously have no idea what your talking about.

Get off the cell phone, leave your house early, be aware of your surroundings, and most of all..............THINK HOW EASY YOUR LIFE COULD CHANGE IN AN INSTANCE IF YOU TOOK THE LIFE OF ANOTHER. COULD YOU LIVE WITH THAT? NEXT TIME, SUCK IT UP AND WAIT.

Posted by: 7yy7C ()
Date: April 04, 2012 07:00PM

You are aware this thread is five years old, right?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 04, 2012 08:37PM

Attachments:
deadthreadchurchsign.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.