HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New Law: Only The Government Is Allowed To Let Go Of Helium Balloons
Posted by: Suck On This ()
Date: July 15, 2019 07:41AM

CENTREVILLE, Md. (AP) — Lawmakers of a Maryland county are considering a bill that would outlaw balloon releases and impose a $250 fine on those who ignore the mandate.

The Capital reports the bill was introduced to the Queen Anne’s County Board of Commissioners last week by Commissioner Christopher Corchiarino, who says releasing balloons is littering. The bill wouldn’t penalize accidental releases or those done by government agencies.

The bill is backed by the Queen Anne’s Conservation Association. The association’s executive director, Jay Falstad, says creatures often mistake non-biodegradable balloons as food or get fatally trapped and wounded by balloon ribbons. Local farmers say loose balloons also cause problems on their lands, with the items scaring animals and getting wrapped around equipment.

The commissioners are set to hold a hearing on bill next month.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Law: Only The Government Is Allowed To Let Go Of Helium Balloons
Posted by: stop littering ()
Date: July 15, 2019 08:28AM

I actually agree with these balloon laws. It’s littering. No different than throwing trash out of your car.

Posted by: k7xen ()
Date: July 15, 2019 08:39AM

As a conservative Republican I support this. Only I am wondering how it cannot already be illegal. It is littering. Why wouldn't it be illegal now?

Why would someone think it's ok to dispose of trash on someone else's property without permission?

Posted by: Yes good idea ()
Date: July 15, 2019 08:46AM

Birds, fish, turtles etc all die from this rubber/plastic garbage left in bodies of water and elsewhere.

There was a 1,500,000 balloon release in Cleveland in the 80's. A cool thing to watch but a really fucking stupid idea environmentally. It also screwed up a rescue mission in Lake Erie and two people died.

TRUMP 2020 too.

Posted by: Trumptard #68,922,018 ()
Date: July 15, 2019 08:55AM

I'm OK with this.

Posted by: Balloonacy ()
Date: July 15, 2019 08:58AM

k7xen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a conservative Republican I support this. Only
> I am wondering how it cannot already be illegal.
> It is littering. Why wouldn't it be illegal now?

Littering is illegal pretty much everywhere, but since these balloons fall back to earth maybe hundreds of miles away in another jurisdiction, it’s virtually impossible to figure out who released them and press charges. The new law makes the act of releasing them illegal.

Posted by: Fuck all the fishes in the deep ()
Date: July 15, 2019 11:51AM

I like to collect my used straws in a plastic grocery bag and tie them to a balloon to float away. Someone else's problem.

Posted by: Pay attention... ()
Date: July 15, 2019 12:23PM

Without the oceans and the ocean currents, we all die.

Posted by: Bring back glass ()
Date: July 15, 2019 12:24PM

Do not forget all of the plastic water bottles, and all of the food products that come packaged in plastic. Years ago glass was the way to package countless items.

New types of cancer from all of this plastic.

Posted by: I partied with Brett ()
Date: July 15, 2019 03:23PM

True Balloon Story

In June 2001, on a small farm in Staffordshire, England, a 10-year-old girl named Laura Buxton was celebrating her grandparent’s 50th wedding anniversary. At one point, urged by her grandfather, Buxton wrote a note -- “Please return to Laura Buxton,” along with her address -- on a small card, attached it to a gold mylar balloon, and released it into cloudless sky. As the balloon rose high above the party and danced with the wind, Buxton’s grandfather patted her on the back. “Maybe if you’re lucky,” he said, “it won’t get stuck in a tree somewhere.”

Two days later, 140 miles away in a Milton Lilbourne, a farmer was checking on his cattle in a field and came across the deflated balloon in his neighbors’ hedge. He was about to discard it as trash, when he noticed the note; his neighbors had a daughter named Laura, so he passed it along to them. This began a series of extremely uncanny coincidences.

The girl the farmer gave the balloon to was also named Laura Buxton, and was also just shy of ten years old -- but she was an entirely different girl. When she received the balloon, she wrote a letter to the Laura Buxton who’d sent it, explaining that she was also Laura Buxton. After some ensuing confusion (and parental skepticism), the two planned to meet up.

A three hour drive apart, the two Laura Buxtons not only shared the same name, but were nearly the exact same age, were the same height (which was unusual, considering they were both well above average for their age at 4 feet, 7 inches), had brown pigtails and blue eyes, and were in Year 5 in primary school. In a Radiolab interview, the girls recalled the astonishing similarities that arose as they spoke for the first time: they both had three-year-old female black labrador dogs, grey rabbits, and guinea pigs with identical markings (orange spots on hind legs). Upon meeting, they unintentionally chose to wear identical outfits -- a pink sweater, and jeans.

Certainly, some aspects of this story can be reasoned statistically. The girls’ identical hair color and style (brown, pigtails), eye color (blue), and height (four feet, seven inches) aren’t that shocking as stand-alone facts: they were, after all, from the same geographic region. Their identical stable of pets, though odd, doesn’t seem impossible -- all three are common household pets in the English countryside. But for a balloon to route a 140-mile course directly to another, nearly identical 10-year-old girl with the same name is nothing short of miraculous.

David J Hand, a professor of mathematics at Imperial College, London, and author of The Improbability Principle, a book that explores the statistical probabilities of extremely unlikely circumstances, disagrees. While he admits that “it would be a brave person who dismissed these as mere chance events,” he thinks there is a deeper implication at work regarding incidents like this.

Citing what he calls the “improbability principle,” Hand says that highly improbable events are commonplace, and are merely “a consequence of the mathematics of chance coupled with the psychology of humans.” Strange things happen all the time, he reasons, and we vastly underestimate the chance of coincidences:

“It certainly looks as if the Universe is trying to tell us something that we are just not quite getting. [But] the Universe is a booming, buzzing confusion of events. Uncountable things are happening around us all the time. And we ignore almost all of them. So what is it that makes us pay attention to some events, but not to most? It's simply that some of them have significance for us. So their relevance draws our attention, and we notice them, not even being aware of all the trillions of other things going on.”

But Laura Buxton and her doppelgänger refuse to believe the incident was anything other than fate at work. Convinced that some force greater than mere chance had brought them together, the two formed a bond; thirteen years later, they are still friends.

“The girls still meet up when time and commitments allow them,” the mother of Laura Buxton #1 told a local paper. “We have no idea why this happened but it did, and out of it has come a wonderful friendship.”

Posted by: Stop the waste ()
Date: July 15, 2019 03:49PM

My concern is that we are depleting the Earth's supply of Helium at an incredible rate. Helium is vital for medical imaging and other scientific procedures. Every time someone goes to the Party Store and buys a bunch of balloons that last for a couple of days, it is putting us all closer to not being able to have an MRI or other life saving test. You can ban the sale of helium balloons altogether as far as I am concerned.

Posted by: Ban the man ()
Date: July 15, 2019 05:02PM

The issue is the lines at the party store. When you just need some streamers you have to wait in line behind the balloon buyers. Terrible

Posted by: Loving Dad ()
Date: July 15, 2019 07:21PM

Stop the waste Wrote:
> My concern is that we are depleting the Earth's
> supply of Helium at an incredible rate. Helium is
> vital for medical imaging and other scientific
> procedures. Every time someone goes to the Party
> Store and buys a bunch of balloons that last for a
> couple of days, it is putting us all closer to not
> being able to have an MRI or other life saving
> test. You can ban the sale of helium balloons
> altogether as far as I am concerned.

Fuck you! My kids wants colorful floating balloons at his birthday party and he is sure as hell going to get them. Screw your medical problems!

Posted by: Stop the waste ()
Date: July 15, 2019 07:30PM

Loving Dad Wrote:
> Stop the waste Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My concern is that we are depleting the Earth's
> > supply of Helium at an incredible rate. Helium
> is
> > vital for medical imaging and other scientific
> > procedures. Every time someone goes to the
> Party
> > Store and buys a bunch of balloons that last for
> a
> > couple of days, it is putting us all closer to
> not
> > being able to have an MRI or other life saving
> > test. You can ban the sale of helium balloons
> > altogether as far as I am concerned.
>
> Fuck you! My kids wants colorful floating balloons
> at his birthday party and he is sure as hell going
> to get them. Screw your medical problems!

I hope your son suffers a long, slow and painful death. I will be sure to send him some non-helium filled balloons. What's his favorite color?

Posted by: Boo fn hoo ()
Date: July 15, 2019 07:37PM

I never did a balloon release , but if i want to do one, i will

Posted by: LGBTQ for Trump ()
Date: July 16, 2019 07:06AM

Yay! We have so many LGBTQ Republicans that we are flaming with

P R I D E

Posted by: Bastony ()
Date: June 13, 2022 07:06AM

Hello everyone, balloons are filled with helium and released into the sky for a variety of reasons: for fun, on the occasion of a birthday, graduation or other memorable date. Ecologists became worried at the moment when there were too many balloons: the problem can no longer be ignored, so there are certain restrictions in their use. But you can also decorate the holidays with ordinary inflatable holidays without helium, so that they do not take off into the sky. Visit https://balloons.online/balloon-sizes/ for a large selection of different balloons in any color.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.