Governor Northam Declares
War on Gun Owners
Governor Northam is engaging in a despicable act of political theater after the Virginia Beach tragedy in order to deflect attention from his recent scandals and to pay back ex-New York Governor Michael Bloomberg for his massive contributions to Democrat candidates during the last election.
Governor Northam is calling a special session of the General Assembly on Tuesday, July 9th, to do nothing but pass more gun control!
Governor Northam seeks to penalize law abiding gun owners without harming criminals.
The stated purpose according to the Governor is to avoid having another Virginia Beach-type massacre. The trouble is that not a single piece of legislation that Northam is pushing would have changed anything in Virginia Beach:
Red Flag laws
- forget the unconstitutionality of this law, no one thought the Virginia Beach murderer to be a threat, so that law would have changed nothing
Universal Background Checks
- the Virginia Beach murderer passed at least two background checks, just like the Virginia Tech murderer. And street thugs don't go through background checks to get their guns
One Handgun a Month
- the murderer bought the two handguns he used a year apart, not even a month apart
"Assault Weapon" ban
- no "assault weapons" were used in the Virginia Beach massacre. Long guns are rarely ever used in crime
- the commission on the Virginia Tech massacre concluded that restricting magazine size would not have changed the outcome
- it is extremely rare that a lawfully owned suppressor is used in a crime. They are not popular with criminals because 1) the gun shot is still loud and 2) it doubles the length of a handgun, making it much more difficult to conceal
- bump stocks have only been used in one crime, out in Nevada and there is no evidence that it increased the number of injuries or fatalities
Allow local government to implement gun control
(get rid of firearm pre-emption law) - the Virginia Beach government building was already a "gun-free zone." What are they going to do, make it a double-gun-free-zone? This legislation would make gun laws in Virginia extremely hard to comply with, benefiting criminals, who don't care about laws, and dissuading good people due to the complexities of carrying legally as they travel through the state
Punish those who've had a gun stolen
if they don't report it quick enough - as if having your gun stolen isn't bad enough, you will get punished by the State if you don't report it fast enough. How do you prove you reported the theft within the arbitrary timeframe the law would require?
Charge gun owners with a felony if a child has access to loaded gun
- this includes a "child" who is a 17-year-old, has broken into your locked house, and found a loaded gun in your nightstand! There have been many cases where someone under 18 has used a firearm to save their life during a home invasion. That would get the parent a felony charge under this law.
What Can I Do to Protect
My Right to Keep and Bear Arms?
1. Click here http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/reflector.html?REF=MyBoth&PRE=19-SS-GUNCONTROL
to send an editable email to your legislators and tell them "NO MORE GUN CONTROL!" The system automatically figures out who your legislators are based on your address and your Zip Code + 4 [FREE]
2. Come to the General Assembly Building in Richmond at 9 am on Tuesday, July 9. You will be given a "Guns Save Lives" sticker to wear and will go into the General Assembly to lobby as one of many teams. No lobbying experience is necessary! If you have a concealed handgun permit, you can carry. CHANGED LOCATION: We will be marshaling at the intersection of 10th and Bank streets, where teams will be formed and sent into the General Assembly Building.
3. Click here https://vcdl.org/va-alert
to join the other 29,000 subscribers to VCDL's email alert system [FREE]. That will keep you up-to-date on what's happening at the General Assembly as it pertains to guns, and anything else gun related that you should know about, including news items.
4. Return to this page periodically to check for updates.
5. Click here to join VCDL https://vcdl.org/join-VCDL
and/or click here to contribute to VCDL. https://vcdl.org/Donate
Click here for carpool locations around the state http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/parkride/home.asp
. We are coordinating carpooling by having people post their availability on the Lobby Day event Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/events/441363596411224/
Capitol Area Parking
Unfortunately, July 9th is not a holiday, so there is no free street-parking. Click here for a map showing parking locations in Richmond near the Capitol. There is active construction on what will eventually be the new General Assembly Building at 9th and Broad, so traffic might be detoured in some places.
Here are more public parking places that have been identified:
111 North 8th Street Garage (attached to St. Paul’s Episcopal Church) - Map: https://imgur.com/3ArXqPe
| Street View of Entrance: https://imgur.com/yUbtYEb
108 North 8th Street Garage - Map: https://imgur.com/04nRd7V
| Street View of Entrance: https://imgur.com/vpFviyA
629 East Broad Street Lot - Map: https://imgur.com/a41Ttj3
| Street View of Entrance: https://imgur.com/vjmqxXs
116 North 7th Street Lot - Map: https://imgur.com/5ZGl2w9
| Street View of Entrance: https://imgur.com/UEltxR6
106 East Marshall Street Garage - Map: https://imgur.com/oFDlFqp
| Street View of Entrance: https://imgur.com/4RMVqMC
1110 East Cary Street Garage - Map: https://imgur.com/LnnSLvw
| Street View of Entrance: https://imgur.com/J6X4VNc
Schedule for Lobby Day and Rally
We will muster at 10th and Banks streets between 8:30 am and 9 am. We will enter the building as a series of teams.
You can carry a handgun at the General Assembly Building, openly or concealed, if you have a concealed handgun permit. Just advise the officer as you approach the metal detectors that you have a concealed handgun permit. Show the permit and your photo ID to the officer.
(If you arrive late, after the teams have headed it, look for other gun owners that arrived late and form an ad hoc team. Your ad hoc team should then go to the offices of the Senator and Delegate for each member of your team. Be sure to advise the legislator or the legislative aide that you have team members that are constituents. Another option is to just go into the General Assembly Building and find another VCDL team and join them.)
The teams will lobby from 9 am until 11:45 am, then everyone will head to the Bell Tower on the Capitol grounds near 9th and Bank streets
The Lobby Day rally will begin at 12 noon and run until 1 pm. We will have several speakers. Be sure to hang around at the end of the rally for our photograph of the entire crowd!
After the rally ends, people should get a quick lunch and return to the General Assembly Building. If you haven't yet stopped by your senator or delegate's office (teams don't necessarily go to offices of all their members), then this would be a good time to do so.
VCDL will be announcing via email (VA-ALERT), Twitter, and VCDL's Facebook page, the location of any committee or subcommittee meetings that afternoon. We need to flood those committee and/or subcommittee rooms. If you don't have a way to check for email, Twitter, or Facebook, hang around with someone who does. Push-come-to-shove we will have someone standing near the help desk in the lobby area (right after you pass through the metal detectors) who can provide stratus updates
If you wish to speak at a committee or subcommittee hearing, you don't need to register. They usually call for speakers that oppose a bill and then call for speakers that support the bill. Step up and the appropriate time and give your name and general location (Richmond, Hannover, etc.). Keep your comments short and to the point. Try to take no more than 2 or 3 minutes, less if possible. If you are merely agreeing with someone else, just say that. Succinctness is appreciated by all!
Once the committees and subcommittees are done for the day, we will advise using email (VA-ALERT), Twitter, and VCDL's Facebook page. At that time, we are done and everyone can go home.
Please check VA-ALERT at night or in the morning for a schedule of hearings on the next day. If you can make it to help fill those rooms and/or to speak, that would be excellent! We hope it will all be over by the end of the week, but we really don't know when it will end.
Lobby Day Speakers (so far)
Erich Pratt, senior vice-president, Gun Owners of America
Vincent Smith, employee at Virginia Beach Government Building #2, fighting for right of employees to carry
Maj Toure, founder, Black Guns Matter
Brandon Howard, Right to Bear Arms, Richmond