HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
DC's $200 million street car flops
Posted by: #Flopcar ()
Date: June 27, 2019 01:07AM

'I can't say it's bringing money into my business because it's not'| Mixed reviews of DC's $200 million street car

Business owners who managed to keep their doors open amid rising operation costs and changing consumer habits, were told the Streetcar would help generate business.

Author: Larry Miller
Published: 12:15 PM EDT June 26, 2019
Updated: 11:20 PM EDT June 26, 2019

WASHINGTON — Driving up and down H Street in Northeast, D.C. you can’t help but notice the change along the corridor.

There are new apartments buildings where mom and pop stores once proudly stood. There's even a Whole Foods that sits at the corner of H and 6th streets; a true testament to a changing clientele. Another addition has been the D.C. Streetcar.

Initially, business owners who managed to keep their doors open amid rising operation costs and changing consumer habits, were told the streetcar would help generate business. When we asked those business owners, we got mixed reviews.

"If you get on the street car, you may see three or four individuals riding," explained Angela Rosser outside of her State Farm Insurance office on H Street. She has owned a business in that area for 15 years.

"I can't say it's bringing money into my business, because it’s not," she added.

Then there is Leon Robbins. He owns Stan’s Men Clothing Store on H Street. He’s owned his business for 30 years and thinks the streetcar serves a larger purpose.

"Have I seen increased foot traffic? Probably not," Robbins said directly inside of his store filled with men’s clothes and shoes.

"I think the streetcar provides so many other services," Robbins said.

Initially, Rosser was one of the biggest supports of the streetcar; providing the government with feedback on how the street car could benefit residents and business owners. Once the project got underway, she realized her concerns and hopes would not come for fruition.

"I think it fell on deaf ears," Rosser said looking visibly disappointed.

The D.C. Streetcar, just 2.2 miles in length now, celebrated its three-year anniversary in February. It carts passengers from Union Station up H Street to Oklahoma Avenue and Benning Road in Northeast.

On average, roughly 3,000 passengers use the street car every day, which is still a fraction of the WMATA’s X2 bus. Ten-thousand passengers use the bus everyday and it travels along much of the same route as the streetcar.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DC's $200 million street car flops
Posted by: Imagine that! ()
Date: June 27, 2019 01:22AM

A completely inept and corrupt government fucking something up!

And run by niggers too!!!!!

Posted by: Niggahs n trainzzzzzz ()
Date: June 27, 2019 07:20AM

Niggahs are helping gentrification with their laziness and ideas on wedlock.
These low IQ savages are irresponsible n cannot hold a job.
Ain’t no streetcar gunna help these lazy bums.

Posted by: Wake up, dummies ()
Date: June 27, 2019 09:26AM

DC is not majority black anymore.

Posted by: street lessons ()
Date: June 27, 2019 02:52PM

DC IS gentrifying, no way to deny that. Less blacks/hispanics as they are being priced out to PG county... and more whites are coming in.

White (or better-off minority) people won't give up their cars because they don't want to mingle with the "unwashed masses". They can afford to uber/taxi if they have decent income, or have help from their families to get a car so most don't have to deal with metro at ALL.

Low income people can't afford a car or have family financial help, so have no choice BUT to ride the bus to get where they are going. Most can barely afford an uber or keep a credit card open to do so. Same with the bird scooters.

Lower income people (on average) tend to not be "as classy" as others. Not ALL but SOME. Think, little old lady on a pension catching the bus to the market or single mom going to the daycare to pick up her kids vs aimless single males with no college/career going on (of any race).

The minute said lower income person can afford a car, they get one. Then that's one less GOOD rider on the bus.

There it is. Why you won't have a high ridership.

In fairfax, I see whites taking the Fairfax Connector bus all the time.

Not so in DC. The trains to go to work yes, but rarely on buses. EVen the FREE DC circulator bus. So cost is not the issue.

Wonder why???

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.