HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
carport enclosure
Posted by: Ambar ()
Date: June 24, 2019 05:57PM

I live in Springfield. I am trying to enclosure my existing carport into a garage which has existing roof and existing concrete slab from when the house was built in 1950's or so. When I login in online to the county permit inspection schedule site, under the list of inspection, I see four options such as framing inspection, slab inspection, foundation inspection and final inspection.

My confusion is that do I need inspection on existing concrete slab and foundation. All I am trying to do is put walls and a garage door on the carport. The space will be used for garage or storage.

currently, I have only applied for framing and electrical inspection.
Attachments:
carport_details.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carport enclosure
Posted by: Dunno ()
Date: June 25, 2019 02:05AM

I would be surprised if the carport modified to a garage would pass current code. I’m not saying it hasn’t been done, as I know it has and I’ve seen a few when we were looking for houses not too long ago.

If the county lists four inspections, you’ll need all four.

Posted by: Unit 8 ()
Date: June 25, 2019 04:56AM

Yes. Also you'll miss that carport on a not or snowy day.

Leave it be.

Posted by: cool neighbors rock ! ()
Date: June 25, 2019 06:55AM

when i lived in falls church, we had enclosure below an upper story and we just went ahead and enclosed it ourselves and actually made it living area.

cool neighbors who don't call county on you are too rare these days.

probably couldn't do it nowadays with all the liberal a-holes taking over the county though

Posted by: Troll.Bitch.Analsex ()
Date: June 25, 2019 07:19AM

cool neighbors suck cock ! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> when i lived in falls church

Key word: Falls Church

-also known as a shelter city for the undocumented...a festering infection on the county's ass.

Posted by: Better and better ()
Date: June 25, 2019 08:02AM

Welcome, new Americans!

Posted by: Ambar ()
Date: June 25, 2019 07:38PM

Does anyone know a good contractor in fairfax area for this type of work?

Posted by: harry homeowner ()
Date: June 25, 2019 08:33PM

Ambar Wrote:
> Does anyone know a good contractor in fairfax area
> for this type of work?

The existing carport provides nothing that a fully permitted and coded garage will need. It would be easier for a contractor to just tear it down and pull permits for building a garage as an addition to your home. You are going to be parking a vehicle with flammable materials in an enclosed space connected to your home. You will want the slope of the flooring to be to code. You will need a fire rated door from the garage to the home. Electrical must be up to code. Ceiling must be able to handle the weight of a garage door (they are surprisingly heavy). And don't play the game that you are going to use it as a garage or storage space if you really intend to turn it into living space, those are two different things that MUST be built for the the intended purpose. If you just need storage that is not climate controlled (if you just enclose a carport it will not be) just buy a shed and throw it in the backyard.

Posted by: Mccalister ()
Date: July 10, 2020 12:59PM

I think you should probably ask the advice of some professional staff. My friend back in Australia had a similar situation, he found LSS Melbourne
<?php ,they inspected the garage, explained all the technical issues, he hired them and they ultimately did a great job, so he was able to solve the situation quickly.

Date: July 21, 2020 12:41PM

I think you should probably ask for the advice of some professional staff. My friend back in Australia had a similar situation, he found LSS Melbourne, which is a company with over 60 + years’ experience in the steel manufacturing sector. The reason why he did that was that they specialize in RHS & structural steel fabrication. They inspected the garage, explained all the technical issues, he hired them and they ultimately did a great job, so he was able to solve the situation quickly. That's why I think having someone with experience by your side is essential in getting the needed result.

Posted by: Piss off wanker ()
Date: July 21, 2020 03:19PM

Mccalister Wrote:
> I blah blah blah

I'm sure a company in Melbourne Australia is really up on building codes and permits in Fairfax Virginia you fuck. Why don't you get a real job. You could strip plastic off of copper wires pulled out of the trash for instance. Or reclaim precious metals from computers. Make yourself useful you hump.

Date: July 21, 2020 06:35PM

Piss off wanker Wrote:
> Piss off wanker wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I blah blah blah
>
> I'm sure a company in Melbourne Australia is
> really up on building codes and permits in Fairfax
> Virginia you fuck. Why don't you get a real job.
> You could strip plastic off of copper wires pulled
> out of the trash for instance. Or reclaim precious
> metals from computers. Make yourself useful you
> hump.

Now you hurt my feelings.

Posted by: Kadasstr ()
Date: March 17, 2022 03:40AM

Every country house should have a place to park the car. It is not always beneficial to build a garage. First, a shed on poles (shed) is faster, easier, and cheaper to equip. Second, a garage is a capital structure that takes up a large area. I partly understand your problem; my husband recently put in a Carport Australia roof. It is a single-pitch roof that resembles a sloping rectangle with no curves. This design is highly reliable. When it is installed, construction materials are saved. There are many types of awnings; I advise you to first consult with experts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2022 03:41AM by Kadasstr.

Posted by: The Real JP Morgendope ()
Date: March 17, 2022 05:34AM

Skip the garage. In addition to the superior aesthetics, an upscale carport eliminates the need for such code-compliant things as insulation and HVAC hookups to keep fuel and other volatile off-gasses from seeping into residential areas.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.