HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Gas station scam
Posted by: Can't flim-flam a smart man ()
Date: June 10, 2019 05:39PM

So help me out here folks--what's the scam? I was at a WaWa filling up and as I'm finishing, guy walks around from the other side of the pump and says something like, "Excuse me sir? I wonder if you could help me. I'm up here from Miami, Florida, and right over here next to you I have a [year and make of van] that I rented from the Reagan National Airport, and it turns out they put a $100 hold on my card, even though they weren't supposed to, so I was wondering if you could just help me out and pump me $5 of gas so I can get back."

Me: "Uh, what? Can you go through that again."

He does, adding the detail that he's "military," and because of that they DEFINITELY shouldn't have put the hold on his card. Note that he's fairly well dressed--like maybe he was headed out to a Miami club. Had a silver crucifix prominently displayed outside his shirt. Looks to be in his late 40s, maybe early 50s.

Now, nothing in this story really adds up.
- There's no rule about not putting holds on military cards.
- If he were in the military someone that old would be in better financial shape.
- How does a $100 hold prevent you from buying gas? Most people have multiple cards?
- The obvious crucifix seemed like a ploy to prey on Christian sympathies.
- NOW you figure out there's a $100 hold on your card?
- Holds for rental vehicles are more than $100.

I told him, "Yeah, I think I'm not interested."

"What?"

"I don't believe I'd like to help you. I'm not interested in buying your gas. Sorry."

He stood there dumbfounded and said, "Oh wow. That's really interesting how you say that. OK, I get it, you've had trouble before. OK, that's fine." and he wandered off.

Now obviously this is a scam, but what's the scam? Just getting $5 of gas? Did he have a skimmer in the reader and he just wanted to see me punch in my zip code? Is the plan to then distract me while I'm pumping, make me think the transaction is over then keep pumping when I leave?

I can't figure it out, and didn't have time to sit there and puzzle it out, otherwise I would've gladly spent $5 to help someone out. If someone needs $5 that badly I'll give it to them, but I don't want to get scammed for $100s. Anyone run into this or know what the gag is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gas station scam
Posted by: Cheap way out ()
Date: June 10, 2019 05:52PM

Slip him a few bucks in cash or change and move on.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: June 10, 2019 06:00PM

Don’t give any panhandlers any money. Period. It's a rule - Money aint free.

Posted by: Mark j ()
Date: June 10, 2019 06:26PM

Dont buy into anyone’s bs story..scammers know how to dress and what to say.
He probably had a skimmer attached to the pump..

Posted by: Trigger Happy Tate ()
Date: June 10, 2019 08:09PM

I would have likely just shot him right there at the pump, or at least popped him in the Chiclets with the butt end of my 1911. I don't cotton to these types with their sob stories about money. You want to hear my sob story, pal? After 9/11, I figured I would put a lot of my investment income in United Airlines. All the airlines started slipping and I thought it was easy pickings.I figured I would buy low and sell high after about two years. Nope, those bastards filed bankruptcy and I lost every fucking penny. And you want five fucking dollars?

Posted by: wordage ()
Date: June 10, 2019 08:44PM

Trigger Happy Tate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would have likely just shot him right there at
> the pump, or at least popped him in the Chiclets
> with the butt end of my 1911. I don't cotton to
> these types with their sob stories about money.
> You want to hear my sob story, pal? After 9/11, I
> figured I would put a lot of my investment income
> in United Airlines. All the airlines started
> slipping and I thought it was easy pickings.I
> figured I would buy low and sell high after about
> two years. Nope, those bastards filed bankruptcy
> and I lost every fucking penny. And you want five
> fucking dollars?

I don't cotton to
these types.

Thats friggin funny

Posted by: Shell Answer Man ()
Date: June 10, 2019 09:05PM

Sometimes you don't need to be a heartless bastard.

If I were in the process of pumping, I would let the guy grab my hose, and have him stick it in his filler neck.
Attachments:
fill-me-up-im-late-for-business-gas-station-roller-skates-meme.jpg

Posted by: Deniggerization techniques ()
Date: June 10, 2019 10:00PM

How would you pay?

If you put your card in, how would you ever stop him from pumping until he's full?

Posted by: BSerer upon BS ()
Date: June 10, 2019 10:16PM

DAN, Buddy! Look at that, willya'? I just hit the limit on my card. Sorry I can't help ya', buddy. Maybe next time, huh?

Posted by: VX3FH ()
Date: June 11, 2019 07:15AM

Simple, sorry dude, can't help you out.

I DO NOT feed the trolls. The more people hand out to these scumbags, the more they continue to try and shake people down.

I always check out the intersection beggars here is FFX and Arlington and see how they have nicer clothes than I usually wear. Timberland boots or Nike shoes, Levis, North Face jackets, bluetooth ear pieces and so on.

Hell I wear $15 Costco jeans, no name brand footwear and no other accessories.

And the stage props are just as crazy. Crutches, hard boots, arms in slings, bandages on the head.

Who are all the IDIOTS that fall for this crap and continue to feed the trolls.

If the scum was not given money, they would not keep showing up.

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: June 11, 2019 09:43AM

I'm pretty sure once you pulled out your wallet to pay for $5 of gas, he was going to Bushwack you...

Posted by: Look in the mirror ()
Date: June 11, 2019 09:59AM

VX3FH Wrote:
> Simple, sorry dude, can't help you out.
>
> I DO NOT feed the trolls. The more people hand out
> to these scumbags, the more they continue to try
> and shake people down.
>
> I always check out the intersection beggars here
> is FFX and Arlington and see how they have nicer
> clothes than I usually wear. Timberland boots or
> Nike shoes, Levis, North Face jackets, bluetooth
> ear pieces and so on.
>
> Hell I wear $15 Costco jeans, no name brand
> footwear and no other accessories.
>
> And the stage props are just as crazy. Crutches,
> hard boots, arms in slings, bandages on the head.
>
>
> Who are all the IDIOTS that fall for this crap and
> continue to feed the trolls.
>
> If the scum was not given money, they would not
> keep showing up.

If you are unsatisfied with your lot in life, you only need to blame one person.

Posted by: Bubba TyroneE ()
Date: June 11, 2019 10:08AM

Complain to the gas station chain.

Posted by: whmhj ()
Date: June 11, 2019 10:22AM

I've had similar situations happen twice and the first was at least 3 years ago so this has been going on a long time. The first time I was at an ATM and was approached by a young man in a suit, long story about being here for training and showing me his paperwork (when I didn't ask to see it) and needing to get to the metro. Only asking for $5. I was depositing a check and my husband saw the guy approach and got out of the car and told him we didn't have any cash (at an ATM).

I'm not sure what they are after but something is up. I wish the world was a safer place and we could offer someone a ride but in this day and age the risk is too high, in my opinion.

It's safer to give to charities that you research and trust. It's too bad that kindness has come at a high (and often physical) cost to so many that we now have to be on high alert.

Posted by: GO EAGLES ()
Date: June 11, 2019 10:57AM

Awwwwww, Damn, buddy! I was just gonna' axe U 4 $5..................

Posted by: a real test ()
Date: June 11, 2019 12:26PM

Can't flim-flam a smart man Wrote:
> I can't figure it out, and didn't have time to sit
> there and puzzle it out, otherwise I would've
> gladly spent $5 to help someone out. If someone
> needs $5 that badly I'll give it to them, but I
> don't want to get scammed for $100s. Anyone run
> into this or know what the gag is?

you shoulda put him in a headlock to see if he could fight his way out of it. a real military guy could wrestle his way out of that no problem.

Posted by: Gift Card Gas Station Hold ()
Date: June 11, 2019 02:36PM

If you use a prepaid card or gift card the gas station can deduct up to $100 and hold that amount for a set period of time.

Here's more info- https://www.giftcards.com/gcgf/buy-gas-with-visa

When you swipe your debit or credit card at the pump, the terminal checks to see if your card is valid and if you have enough money (or credit) on your account to complete the purchase–just like it would if you swiped your card at the grocery store. The difference between the two types of transactions, however, is that the grocery store knows exactly how much the total bill will be and places a hold of that amount on your account until the transaction is settled. If your bill is $43.51, for example, the hold (called a “pre-authorization charge”) will also be for $43.51.

At the gas pump, however, the system does not know how much it will cost to fill up your tank, so it makes a guess. A typical pre-authorization charge at a gas pump is about $75. If your gift card has a balance that is less than the pre-authorization charge, the gift card will be declined.

Posted by: Sam Mann ()
Date: June 11, 2019 03:27PM

So the guy needs $5 in gas which is less then two gallons of gas. He has a nice surprise waiting for him at the rental place. Unless the tank is filled up they will do it and be happy to charge him around $4 a gallon to top it off.

Posted by: Tits McGhee ()
Date: June 11, 2019 04:18PM

Whenever these kinds of people start in on me I grab the .357 and just keep it ready. They usually don't see it but their actions going forward as I ignore them determine how familiar they will become with it.

Posted by: AnthonyCumia ()
Date: June 11, 2019 04:59PM

Fuck those gypsies.

Fairfax County also needs to outlaw those gypsy fucks standing at red lights with their fake leg casts and canes.

Posted by: Obviously ()
Date: June 11, 2019 05:35PM

Sam Mann Wrote:
> So the guy needs $5 in gas which is less then two
> gallons of gas. He has a nice surprise waiting
> for him at the rental place. Unless the tank is
> filled up they will do it and be happy to charge
> him around $4 a gallon to top it off.

You’re is next sucker.

Posted by: SamMannScam ()
Date: June 11, 2019 05:37PM

AnthonyCumia Wrote:
> Fuck those gypsies.
>
> Fairfax County also needs to outlaw those gypsy
> fucks standing at red lights with their fake leg
> casts and canes.

Sam Mann believes them and gives them money at every opportunity.

Posted by: Liquidat1on ()
Date: June 05, 2020 01:14PM

I remember how last year I almost lost my money by trusting an asshole at an investor forum. He was so convincing that I believed him and invested a considerable sum in his enterprise which later turned out to be false and he was a fraud. I was lucky that my friend is also interested in this business and he immediately identified him as a liar and dissuaded me from such a dubious transaction. Then my friend recommended me a reliable company in which he has been investing for several years. Thanks to https://behindscam.com/ I have secured a passive income by investing in a good business. Therefore it is better to trust people who live up to their reputation

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.