HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Support PARKER MESSICK over Comstock Developer Maggie Parker for Fairfax County Board
Posted by: #GoMessick! ()
Date: May 15, 2019 01:23PM

Parker Messick, a recent Roanoke College graduate, raked in $6,916, out-raising Maggie Parker, an executive with Comstock Companies, who had $3,949. Parker was a late comer to the race, as she announced her candidacy days before the campaign finance report period ended. Parker spent all of her cash, all of which came from herself.

Messick announced his candidacy before Hudgins said she would retire while Parker joined the race just a few weeks ago. He also spent most of his funds, leaving him with $1,732 as of March 31

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Support PARKER MESSICK over Comstock Developer Maggie Parker for Fairfax County Board
Posted by: #MessickFTW! ()
Date: May 15, 2019 01:28PM

Support Messick!

https://parkermessick.com/

My name is Parker Messick and I am running for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors in the Hunter Mill District. The Hunter Mill District primarily represents those who live in Reston and Vienna. The Supervisor’s job is, in my eyes, to make sure that the people in the district and the county at large have the best quality of life possible. Having lived here for most of my life, I have seen what great communities Reston and Vienna are.

Throughout my life, I have recognized that many hardworking people needlessly suffer due to failings of the local government. My motivations for running are not part of fulfilling a personal agenda. My motivations for running are to use my position to fulfill the will of the people. As Supervisor, I seek to stop the influence of large-scale development on the community. I plan to work on policies that work for the people. This is the first major race for Supervisor in the Hunter Mill District in 20 years, and you have an opportunity to make your voice heard. I look forward to your support and your vote in the Democratic Primary on Tuesday, June 11th, 2019.

Re: Support PARKER MESSICK over Comstock Developer Maggie Parker for Fairfax County Board
Posted by: it's in the details ()
Date: May 15, 2019 02:08PM

"I seek to stop the influence of large-scale development on the community."

And this will be accomplished how?

Posted by: Enforce Curent Bulding Codes ()
Date: May 15, 2019 02:23PM

it's in the details Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "I seek to stop the influence of large-scale
> development on the community."
>
> And this will be accomplished how?

Not voting for increasing density caps that county set?

Seems pretty straight forward to me. These developer keep going to the county board asking for all kinds of exceptions to over build.

With Reston it was change the plans because "Everybody will use the metro to get around Reston and Fairfax county."

We all know that was complete bullshit thought up by developers. Nobody takes metro to go shopping or kids ball games, etc.., everybody drives.

Posted by: Parking Lot Crisis Coming ()
Date: May 15, 2019 05:03PM

Hell, I'd be happy if the builders just stuck to the parking requirements. Right now Fairfax county is heading for a massive parking shortage. Especially Reston and Tyson Corner.

Posted by: Raining on his parade ()
Date: May 15, 2019 10:16PM

Let's look at this agenda. I know its long, but just pick a few.

"Work with Richmond" Work with Richmond! Why didn't anyone think of that before!

"•widen and expand our roads" Which ones? Pick any road and there will be those who favor expanding its capacity and those who favor leaving it as is, or even reduce it. And how are they going to pay for it? Get VDOT to reallocate to Fairfax funds that are currently allocated to other parts of the state? Get the General Assembly to allocate funds to Fairfax? I wonder why someone didn't think of that before. Reallocate funding from the Northern Virginia Transportation taxes? That means taking funding away from mass transit projects. Use County funds? That means raising taxes or taking funds away from other projects.

"decrease the burden of Tyson’s traffic on Vienna" Does he think someone can waive a magic wand and make it go away? Or they can erect barriers that only allow Vienna source traffic to travel from Tysons to Vienna? The best approach for this is to build a Vienna bypass. I suspect that proposal will go over like a lead balloon.

"•Encourage legislation that prevents major population spikes" This I have got to see.

"•Remove bike lanes that have impeded on the width of smaller roads" Finally a proposal of substance that could realistically do something. Problem is that those damned bike lanes exist because a majority of the Board of Supervisors along with those in charge of VDOT NOVA have bought into the silly idea that bikes could reduce automobile traffic levels, so he is bucking up against some major opposition.

Any additional development must reflect the wishes of Restonians" That isn't the way it works in Virginia. If a property has been zoned for certain purposes then the owner of that property has a right to develop it consistent with the zoning laws, whether the residents like it or not. The owner doesn't need to have a referendum. A more informed position would be that land use and zoning should be revised so future development would be consistent with the wishes of residents.

"Ensure that Maple Avenue maintains its small-town charm" Cue jokes for mattress stores here. Seriously though see the above comment re Vienna bypass.

"Protect the Village Centers in Reston. These centers are staples of our community and should never be replaced with any form of large-scale development" Does the County own them? If not then see above re revising land use and zoning rules.

"Maintain the Reston National and Hidden Creek golf courses as golf courses." Is he proposing that a cash strapped county use huge amounts of funds to purchase these properties, which will only benefit a small portion of county residents? Otherwise see above re land use and zoning.

"As Supervisor, I will negotiate with Boston Properties to see an end to the paid parking" @ RTC What incentives are you going to offer Boston Properties to get them to do this? Will those incentives run counter to your other promises?

"•Expand affordable housing opportunities within our community through negotiations with developers to ensure all citizens can safely work and live in our community" Again what are you prepared to offer for this housing and will those incentives run counter to your other promises? Also how many of your residents really want people who are making $20-50k per household living next to them?

"Enable individuals and families of all income levels to live in the Hunter Mill District" How?

"•Reduce class sizes and lower student-to-teacher ratios by bringing in more teachers •Increase teacher pay so we can retain our quality educators while attracting new teachers so teachers can work and live in our community •Provide schools with necessary resources in order to best meet the needs of our students" How much are you prepared to raise taxes to do this? Given that the School Board and not the Board of Supervisors controls how school funds are spent, how is he sure whatever funding he can come up with will be used for these goals rather than for other purposes?

In these difficult times the County needs leaders who are capable of being hard headed pragmatists and not pie in the sky idealists.

Posted by: Jay Messick ()
Date: May 16, 2019 07:15AM

Name sounds too close to the Springfield gerbil smuggler -Jay Fassick!
Doesn’t get my vote!

Posted by: another thing ()
Date: May 16, 2019 07:47AM

Barbara Comstock also has a huge number of young gay white males that worked her campaigns over the years. She's not homophobic.

Posted by: Redtg ()
Date: May 16, 2019 09:07AM

Messick has my vote!

So sick of these developers raping the county dry and the planning commission helping.

Seriously, a building developer is openly running for a seat on the Fairfax Board of Supervisors? That's some bold ass shit!

What's next? Drug and gang lords on the board?

Posted by: #ImInWithMessick ()
Date: May 17, 2019 10:18AM

Redtg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Messick has my vote!
>
> So sick of these developers raping the county dry
> and the planning commission helping.
>
> Seriously, a building developer is openly running
> for a seat on the Fairfax Board of Supervisors?
> That's some bold ass shit!
>
> What's next? Drug and gang lords on the board?

+1

Posted by: Ted The Wonder Bear ()
Date: May 20, 2019 12:15PM

I really enjoyed talking with Messick. Very informed and supports the views of the people.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.