HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Discharge into Huntley Meadows Watershed
Posted by: Huntley Meadows Fan ()
Date: May 12, 2019 08:01AM

As a long time donor/supporter of the wonderful Huntley Meadows Park, I have to say after finding out about a hushed up storm water project in the Hayfield area. I am done with you all. At no time has the county told us all about this project that will discharge over 4ft of additional water per rain event into the embattled eco system. Just recently I learned that there is a large storm water project slated for Hayfield area. I believe this project has been kept quiet so that we would no protest it if it was leaked out. The only citizens who have knowledge of it are those along the projects path. After listening to some concerned citizens speaking over this topic I learned more about the plan.

Shame on the Huntley Meadows Staff for not sharing this project with us.

Call Jeff Mckay and tell him if he wants to continue his employment with Fairfax County he needs a better plan and not harm the environment of Huntley Meadows water shed. 703-971-6262

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Discharge into Huntley Meadows Watershed
Posted by: Oooookkkkaayyy ()
Date: May 12, 2019 08:09AM

So, you are protesting rain water?

Posted by: OP is A Dumb Ass ()
Date: May 12, 2019 08:28AM

OP generally when the county undertakes projects like this the design includes some sort of retention facility. To dumb it down for simpletons that means they hold water on site and release it slowly as it rises in the cistern. These SWM management facilities are usually part of a park, school or other municipal renovation. There is a huge one that was part of the Marshall HS renovation. It's a really good way to control runoff when increasing impervious area due to development. As the area becomes more crowded the urban planners need ways to keep erosion at bay and using these methods are the most sustainable. The upside for johnny homeowner is your tax dollars are being spent with your best interest in mind. So do a bit of research before bitching about something you obviously know nothing about. DumbAss.

Posted by: Answering the Real Dumbass ()
Date: May 12, 2019 03:49PM

Posted by: OP is A Dumb Ass ()
Date: May 12, 2019 08:28AM

OP generally when the county undertakes projects like this the design includes some sort of retention facility. To dumb it down for simpletons that means they hold water on site and release it slowly as it rises in the cistern. These SWM management facilities are usually part of a park, school or other municipal renovation. There is a huge one that was part of the Marshall HS renovation. It's a really good way to control runoff when increasing impervious area due to development. As the area becomes more crowded the urban planners need ways to keep erosion at bay and using these methods are the most sustainable. The upside for johnny homeowner is your tax dollars are being spent with your best interest in mind. So do a bit of research before bitching about something you obviously know nothing about. DumbAss.

Investigate things before you comment.

Not happening at all. This is a straight pipe down Hayfield Rd that will start at the intersection of Hayfield Rd and Telegraph Rd, by tapping into an existing storm drain. Not a storm water retention pond in this plan at all. This has been so hush hush so that no one raises the questions about a SWM.

I agree with the OP. Why would Huntley Meadows allow something like this into their sacred watershed? There is not a SWM on this project after I looked into it. Water will enter a 48 inch pipe and run straight down Hayfield and deposit into the H/M watershed.

Posted by: DLTPG ()
Date: May 14, 2019 07:11PM

Posted by: Oooookkkkaayyy ()
Date: May 12, 2019 08:09AM

So, you are protesting rain water?

RAIN WATER OUT OF THE SKY DIRECTLY INTO THE WATER IS NOT A PROBLEM. IT'S WHEN IT RUNS OFF THE ROADWAY INTO A STORM DRAIN THEN INTO THE WATERSHED IS THE ISSUE. I SEE YOUR POINT IN YOUR QUESTION.

Posted by: Civil Engineer guy ()
Date: May 14, 2019 09:48PM

The County is upgrading the stornwater system in a fully developed residential section of town. Basically it is fixing flooding problems for the residents. There is no new impervious surface being created....therefore.....no additional runoff. OP is a Ding Dong. Typical liberal.

Posted by: Corrupt Planning Commission ()
Date: May 14, 2019 10:28PM

As the area becomes more crowded the urban planners need ways to keep erosion at bay and using these methods are the most sustainable. The upside for johnny homeowner is your tax dollars are being spent with your best interest in mind. So do a bit of research before bitching about something you obviously know nothing about. DumbAss.

Very simple, stop these crazy developers from building 20 story buildings in a county that has infrastructure and no roads. It's time we started taking care of county lands and parks.

These pump and dump developers are ruining this county. They come in, dupe the planning board(or pay them off), sell after 4 years and leave the county high and dry.

Posted by: Civil Engineering guy ()
Date: May 15, 2019 12:51PM

Corrupt Planning Commission Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Very simple, stop these crazy developers from
> building 20 story buildings in a county that has
> infrastructure and no roads. It's time we started
> taking care of county lands and parks.
>
> These pump and dump developers are ruining this
> county. They come in, dupe the planning board(or
> pay them off), sell after 4 years and leave the
> county high and dry.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about. I feel dumber having read your post.

So you want to stop people from building? Do you have any idea how many people around here derive their living from the land development industry? Fuck no you don't because you are a stupid liberal. Here's a suggestion: Move. Lot's of cheap houses for sale in Detroit/St Louis/Cleveland.....Oh, you don't want to move there? Then shut the fuck up and go do something constructive with you time like sticking your head up your own ass.

Posted by: ucxvc ()
Date: May 15, 2019 01:09PM

Discharge measured by who ? What was the measurement?

?? WHERE IS THE (climate control style) IMPACT REPORT ??

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

Some mexican or black or corrupt democrat?

JUST ANOTHER SCAM

SHUT THE FUCK UP, OP

Date: May 15, 2019 01:10PM

I'm CIA. shut the fuck up.

Date: May 15, 2019 01:13PM

Who is being hired to do this "work" ?

Mexicans and blacks and people who stand around doing nothing?

SHUT THE FUCK UP OP

it's crime and NO AMOUNT OF COVERUPS will hide fx co going from BUDGET SURPLUS to 6 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR DEBT and not fully paying interest: fx co is tits up

AND THEY ARE ONLY HIRING CORRUPT MOB FIGURES FOR WORK

Posted by: Downtown LA SMOG AND TRAFFIC ()
Date: May 15, 2019 01:16PM

Civil Engineering guy Wrote:
> Corrupt Planning Commission Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Very simple, stop these crazy developers from
> > building 20 story buildings in a county that
> has
> > infrastructure and no roads. It's time we
> started
> > taking care of county lands and parks.
> >
> > These pump and dump developers are ruining this
> > county. They come in, dupe the planning
> board(or
> > pay them off), sell after 4 years and leave the
> > county high and dry.
>
> You literally have no idea what you are talking
> about. I feel dumber having read your post.
>
> So you want to stop people from building? Do you
> have any idea how many people around here derive
> their living from the land development industry?
> Fuck no you don't because you are a stupid
> liberal. Here's a suggestion: Move. Lot's of cheap
> houses for sale in Detroit/St
> Louis/Cleveland.....Oh, you don't want to move
> there? Then shut the fuck up and go do something
> constructive with you time like sticking your head
> up your own ass.

What hell?

You make no sense whatever. By your logic Fairfax County should be encouraging people selling meth and drugs because "a lot residents make money off it."

We all want Fairfax county to be a healthy, safe, fun place to live. Turning Fairfax County in to downtown LA with SMOG alerts and 3 hour traffic jams from overbuilding will make the county worse.

I've lived in Fairfax County for 40 years I and can tell you it was great when there were steeplechase horse races, wide open fields for kids athlete events and pristine parcels of land and lakes set aside for parks.

No it's let see how many people we can cram into a square cube and we'll deal with the infrastructure and county costs later.

Sick of the board turning their heads and letting developers run buck wild building with no forethought of the QOL for residents.

Posted by: Civil Engineering guy ()
Date: May 15, 2019 08:31PM

Well, I've lived here for 46 years, do I win?

I remember playing soccer at Idylwood. They were building 66 at the time. Dad said "it's not wide enough..." that was 40 years ago. You couldn't get a liquor drink poured in the town of Vienna except at the various lodges and Westwood CC. Traffic on 123 sucked. blah, blah, blah.....

You can blame the development pattern in Fairfax on Audrey Moore and all the liberals on the BOS at the time. They downzoned the County. How'd that work out? I guess you know the answer.

Posted by: Vaginal discharge ()
Date: May 15, 2019 09:03PM

Is it going to smell fishy?

Posted by: Boo fn hoo ()
Date: May 15, 2019 09:22PM

Hey Downtown...Fairfax BOS need to house ILLEGALS..that is what this is really about...your new neighbors

Posted by: Dopes and dunces... ()
Date: May 18, 2019 11:36AM

You can't fix dumb. The site below has some history of the many public hearings and public meetings concerning the Hayfield Road Pipe Project. It's been right out in the open the entire time.

Posted by: Dopes and dunces (Part-2) ()
Date: May 18, 2019 11:37AM

Posted by: AnthonyCumia ()
Date: May 19, 2019 01:30AM

You sweet, summer child.

This is a troll site.

Take your complaints to Fairfax County, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and your favorite Twitter hashtags, Instagram camwhores, blogs and Facebook groups.

Posted by: VW GUY ()
Date: May 19, 2019 07:20AM

THE INFORMATION ON THE COUNTY WEBSITE IS NOT CORRECT. IT STATES THE PIPE PROJECT IS A 66" SIZE PIPE. TODAY IT IS 48" PIPE.THE COUNTY THINKS THIS MIGHT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. SO WHY WOULD YOU SPEND OVER 3 MILLION DOLLARS TO SEE IF IT WILL WORK? WHAT IS THE PLAN WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK?

Posted by: *Subject Update* ()
Date: May 19, 2019 07:48AM

After contacting the Huntley Meadows Watershed information office in the Massey Building, it was revealed that Fairfax County will be installing thousands of Brita Water Filters to keep everything fresh, clean, and ready to drink.
Attachments:
download (2).jpg

Posted by: Great Subject Update ()
Date: May 19, 2019 08:04AM

Subject Update----- Great Post..lol There has never been a public hearing on this project. Only meeting with the Civic Association over this matter.

Posted by: Disqulification ()
Date: May 19, 2019 11:17AM

Great Subject Update Wrote:
> There has never been a public hearing on this project.
> Only meeting with the Civic Association over this matter.

You do your cause no good in posting blatant lies. Read the public meeting notes behind the link above.

Posted by: Sometingnotwight ()
Date: May 20, 2019 04:35AM

Something doesn't add up here. The county had a information meeting. I don't believe there ever was a public hearing for this project. I'm kinda thinking there should have been some kind of impact study as to the issues it might cause when the mile long pipe enters into the watershed of H/M.

Posted by: The Winner IS ()
Date: June 08, 2019 02:31PM

7 million bucks to install a 48 inch pipe. The community was duped by the county because they the community voted for a 60 inch pipe. When the vote was taken there was never any talk of also having to replace sewer lines to almost 30 homes because of the construction.

Posted by: Fixed it good ()
Date: June 08, 2019 05:56PM

Do what we did when we were kids growing up in Vienna. We used to play in the creeks around town and we would walk underneath the roads in storm drains that would direct the creek under the street. Once when walking in one of the drains we heard a flushing sound and saw a discharge come out of a small side pipe. We figured out it was coming from this house close to the creek. This house was slways under construction. Someone had connected the house's waste stream to the storm drain under the road. We thought that was gross so we packed the side pipe with sand, rocks,clay and dirt. We saw plumbers trucks there over the next few days. Backed it up good. One of my friends told his Dad who laughed and reported the house to the town. Eventually the pipe was cemented over.

Posted by: skipster ()
Date: June 08, 2019 08:13PM

DLTPG Wrote:
>
>
> So, you are protesting rain water?
>
> RAIN WATER OUT OF THE SKY DIRECTLY INTO THE WATER
> IS NOT A PROBLEM. IT'S WHEN IT RUNS OFF THE
> ROADWAY INTO A STORM DRAIN THEN INTO THE WATERSHED
> IS THE ISSUE. I SEE YOUR POINT IN YOUR QUESTION.

Where does it go at this time? perhaps down the street gutters into a storm drain????

You're friggin wacky

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.