HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Info
Posted by: BigC ()
Date: February 25, 2007 01:49PM

I am currently an active duty Marine, originally grew up in Roanoke; but plan to move up to Fairfax County or somewhere close by. I plan on becoming a FC Police Officer, and I've noticed for the most part most people seem to support the police up here. I'd just like to know how everyone feels about them, and any other suggestions about moving up there. And if we could limit the "I hate cops," "cops don't do anything, pigs", etc etc. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Info
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: February 25, 2007 02:14PM

So in other words you are only looking for positive comments on the police.

Date: February 25, 2007 02:17PM

Not necessarily, if there's negative I'd love to hear those as well, I just don't want the ignorant ones. Basically from the folks that only have "f the pigs" for no reason. If they do bad things and it's for real, I wanna hear it too.

Date: February 25, 2007 02:42PM

Gotcha. Do you already have an "in" with the FCPD? It is apparently really competitive.

Posted by: $$$ ()
Date: February 25, 2007 02:51PM

Make sure you are aware of the cost of living in Fairfax. Some of the cops have to live in west virginia to afford a home.

I have lived in roanoke and I have lived here, if my job hadnt moved me up here I never would have come.

Date: February 25, 2007 04:46PM

I haven't been told "I'm in," but from my understanding they're really hurting for personnel, and my military experience already puts me out ahead. Unfortunately, even though I'm a Marine, I still suck at running, haha; but I'm told that I still shouldn't have any trouble with things. Being from Roanoke though, and living down here in Jville, NC; cost of living is no where near up there, but at the same time; starting pay is 44k versus my current 23k or so, and Roanoke's 28-32k. So, I think it kinda makes up for it. Also, my wife is looking to be getting a government job also, so I think we'll do alright.

Posted by: make some calls ()
Date: February 25, 2007 05:07PM

I wouldnt sign any kind of long term lease until I was somewhat sure of where I would be working. Fairfax is a big county and the traffic adds to it. If you move to manassas you better do some research, there are many bads parts to that town.
If you move to manassas and then get assigned to mt vernon that is one long commute and then you have to add in the days you will be in court.

p.s. dont pay any attention to the guy saying PG is a great place to live. They rival some of the highest if not the highest crime rates in the country. Unless of course he is a drug dealer then he is right at home.

Posted by: Tim Montgomery ()
Date: February 25, 2007 05:32PM

go back to your racist hilllbilly town. you P.O.S.

Date: February 25, 2007 05:33PM

Umm... what?

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: February 25, 2007 05:57PM

Fairfax County PD is one of the best funded departments in the northern Virginia area. (Not many agencies can afford their own choppers, numerous K-9's, and a full-time SWAT team.) They have a good reputation overall, but they have earned themselves some bad press lately. Two incidents come to mind -- one being that a SWAT guy accidentally shot and killed an unarmed gambling suspect and another was that a detective allegedly had an affair with a suspect's wife and compromised the case.

They've got what's probably the best retirement system of all law enforcement agenies in the state. Plus, their payscale provides projected annual raises up front, whereas other in localities your raise is whatever the board decides on for that year.

Posted by: Shaky ()
Date: February 25, 2007 07:33PM

BigC I'm not going to lie I live in Falls Church and I have had to deal with police a fair amount. I have met some dicks, I have met some nice people. I'm 15 right now and I walk around and cops stop me a lot and think I don't know my rights. I smoked herb and did other drugs till I got put on probation. I would come out of roundtree park and get stopped, I'm not gonna lie online even though I'm new and don't no if some one will rat me out but, I lied to them, and they let me go. I have met a couple cops that let me get away with having pot and pipes. They said to me "We're trying to catch the real law breakers" others have searched me with no reason and I told them I know my rights so they stopped. I'm on probation for school disruption at quander highschool, a rehab school which means they aren't helping. I know most of my friends hate cops, but I honestly understand, its your job.

WHat I think about cops:
They can be nice
They can be pigs
They do their job

So if you do be come an officer, Tell us and I'll try to be nice to you. I have been called a prick by officers before.

Date: February 25, 2007 08:34PM

BigC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't been told "I'm in," but from my
> understanding they're really hurting for
> personnel, and my military experience already puts
> me out ahead.

Cool... I have just heard that it is tough to get in, tough enough that guys I know went to become NYC cops to better qualify for whatever qualities Fairfax County is looking for. I wish you luck though, and if the guys on the force talk about the a-holes online who hate them remember how helpful we have been :)

Date: February 25, 2007 10:15PM

LoL. Thanks for all y'alls help. And I'll remember. One thing I'd like to try to stick to is being honest to the people. I've been biased in a lot of things, but I've learned a lot young, and I try to keep an open mind to everyone and why they do it. There's a group on some other website entitled "Fuck the Troops," at one point in time, and just yelled at them and told them they were idiots and tried to get them banned, then... I sat down and heard them out. I don't agree with everything they say, but I think I enlightened some of them on my side of the story as well. Not everyone is going to agree with you and it's not place to make everyone believe what I do, but as a police officer I plan on enforcing laws fairly. I just want all the online bloggers that hate cops to remember there are some good ones out there, and we all have bad days, and no one's perfect. POs have a tough job, regardless of how much you may hate them, you can't deny that they are held to a higher standard than the average citizen, and have to do a lot of things that make people unhappy, on top of dealing with societies worst, etc etc. I'm not going to make this last forever, but I think everyone needs to lighten up, and be open-minded. Anyways, thanks again for y'alls help and I look forward to working with all of you in a positive way at some time or another.

Posted by: Tricki ()
Date: February 26, 2007 09:26AM

Hi,

I wish you luck. This area is growing and with two people working you should be able to find adequate housing here in northern Va. I have a lot of respect for the police in this county. I know some people on here say mean things but truthfully, they are people who like to speed and use drugs and other bad things so they look at the police as enemies. There are lots of police officers living in the middle class neighborhoods. I used to be a teacher and some of my nicest kids were sons and daughters of police officers. About the running, try building up your speed and endurance for the physical test BEFORE you take it. Good luck.

Hugs, Trickie

Date: February 26, 2007 10:00AM

Well, not all of us who have a problem with police activity in the area have a record. I have no criminal record at all, yet I speak out on unjust behavior such as the Salvatore Culosi shooting, the Aaron Brown murder at IHOP, and the Tony's Pizza citizen harassment incident in Manassas. However I am also quick to praise the police on good work.

Posted by: erik ()
Date: February 26, 2007 10:27AM

Learn to speak spanish...

Posted by: Dumbass ()
Date: February 27, 2007 11:33AM

Fill out a ride along application. They should be available at all of the district stations. Ride on an evening or night shift in a busy precinct, and take a look for yourself. Talk to the officers, get their feedback and opinions "straight from the horse". You would be surprised at the honest answers you will get from the troops that actually work for the department, but the consensus would be that its a good dept to work for...they dont have officers running for the hills or other departments. Sure there is attrition, and people go to federal jobs or other departments, but I dont think that you will find too many disgruntled employees.

That being said, sure there are advantages and disadvantages, accolades and bitches about every department. They have had their shining moments and issues like many other metro area departments. Training, salary, and opportunity are their strong suits, along with the quality of personnel. With a large department like theirs, if you cant find what you are looking for there, you aint gonna find it in another department either...for example...smaller agencies might have 1 or 2 k9 handlers...the county has over a dozen i think. Smaller agencies have more limited opportunity by virtue of their size.

Cost of living in the area is high - alot of officers live outside the county. So expect apartment living or a bit of a commute unless you are cashing in on real estate where you are coming from, atleast starting out.

Posted by: park1 ()
Date: February 27, 2007 03:41PM

pgens wrote:
"Tony's Pizza citizen harassment incident in Manassas"
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah checking up on a few gun carrying crazies is considered "bad press"
Who the hell walks in to a resturant and sits down to eat with a "gat" straped to their waist?
Ahhhhhhhhh.....Ice T and Snoop Dogg would be proud

If guns cause crime, why do we give them to cops?
Date: February 27, 2007 04:37PM

park1 Wrote:

> Who the hell walks in to a resturant and sits down
> to eat with a "gat" straped to their waist?

I do. Watch out who you criticize, there are more of us than you think.

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WPN/MGArticle/WPN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149193409153&path

http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=65549

http://www.vcdl.org/Tonys/MCPD_FOIA_Response.pdf

Posted by: park1 ()
Date: February 27, 2007 04:46PM

boristhebulletdodger wrote:
I do. Watch out who you criticize, there are more of us than you think.

Then you're a fucking weirdo and don't deserve to walk around with normal human beings!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 27, 2007 04:54PM

Then you're a fucking weirdo and don't deserve to walk around with normal human beings!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I don't really have a problem if people choose to open carry in a restaurant, although I think it's sort of stupid. What I do have a problem with is people who open carry because it is a "cool" or "tough" thing to do, ya know, so they can brag about it like good ol' Boris just did.

Date: February 27, 2007 05:10PM

TheMeeper Wrote:

> Yeah, I don't really have a problem if people
> choose to open carry in a restaurant, although I
> think it's sort of stupid. What I do have a
> problem with is people who open carry because it
> is a "cool" or "tough" thing to do, ya know, so
> they can brag about it like good ol' Boris just
> did.

I'm not bragging, I'm simply pointing out that even though this is Northern Virginia, there are still a lot of people who own firearms. The 1999 report by the BATFE found that there are over 215 million guns in America and of those, approximately one gun in 50% of households.
I would NEVER open carry in a crowded area or public place like a restraunt but if you read the article you will find out that it is the LAW to open carry when in the premises of a restraunt that serves alcohol. So in order to OBEY THE LAW, I MUST display my gun on my hip for all to see just like the 7 guys did at the pizza place.

Posted by: girl ()
Date: February 27, 2007 05:20PM

Meeper, I think you hit the nail on the head. You don't need to open carry. There is no reason to. If you want to carry then get a concealed permit. The only reason people open carry is to attract attention.....ohhhhh look at me, I'm Charles "BORISTHEBULLETDODGER" Bronson and I'm tough because I carry and gun.

Date: February 27, 2007 05:43PM

girl Wrote:
> Meeper, I think you hit the nail on the head. You
> don't need to open carry. There is no reason to.
> If you want to carry then get a concealed permit.
> The only reason people open carry is to attract
> attention.....ohhhhh look at me, I'm Charles
> "BORISTHEBULLETDODGER" Bronson and I'm tough
> because I carry and gun.

Yeah. You got it. I surrender.

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: February 27, 2007 06:04PM

girl Wrote:
> Meeper, I think you hit the nail on the head. You
> don't need to open carry. There is no reason to.
> If you want to carry then get a concealed permit.
> The only reason people open carry is to attract
> attention.....ohhhhh look at me, I'm Charles
> "BORISTHEBULLETDODGER" Bronson and I'm tough
> because I carry and gun.

As he's pointed out, you're not allowed to carry concealed in an establishment that serves alcohol. It's a stupid law that needs to be changed.

Posted by: oops ()
Date: February 27, 2007 06:42PM

The emails the citizen got, I suspect, were car to car transmissions on the computer. Not alot of people are aware but these can be obtained through a FOIA. LAPD suffered that fate with rodney king and the gorilla comments. I guess no one has learned from that lesson.

If they, the citizens, were aware there was going to be a problem they should have carried a digital recorder. Those things are about the size of a lighter.

Too bad the pizza place owner had to get in the middle of it.

Posted by: also ()
Date: February 27, 2007 06:45PM

Anyone who doubts there are alot of gun owners in this area should visit the dulles expo at the end of march when they have another gun show. Last time I was there the line to get in stretched around the corner.

I am not really into guns but I do like to see what is going on and maybe get some tools to work with around the house.

FOIA
Date: February 27, 2007 07:24PM

oops Wrote:
> The emails the citizen got, I suspect, were car to
> car transmissions on the computer. Not alot of
> people are aware but these can be obtained through
> a FOIA. LAPD suffered that fate with rodney king
> and the gorilla comments. I guess no one has
> learned from that lesson.

Yes, they were car to car. Here's the link:
http://www.vcdl.org/Tonys/MCPD_FOIA_Response.pdf

Audio from the 911 call here:
http://www.vcdl.org/Tonys/Tonys_911.mp3

As the 911 dispatch officer says, its not about weather you feel comfortable or not, it's about rights. The caller even admits that he's sure it must be a right to carry.
I think my comment earlier might have gotten us off track from the original post. Part of the scandal with the Manassas incident is that 6 or 7 officers responded to this call which was more than half of all the on-duty officers in that part of Manassas at that time. So I would say FCPD = good reputation, Manassas PD = not so good after this incident.

Good luck finding a place BigC, you can always rent out a room for $700/mo to help make mortage payments, people will happily pay that if they are young professionals or GMU grad students.

Date: February 27, 2007 07:50PM

Agree that it is not a wise restriction. People aren't being macho by open carrying in a restaurant... they do it because they have to or they will go to prison if caught. "Why not leave it in the car?" Because cars are broken into and things get stolen. If some thug broke into my car and stole my gun and shot someone with it, I would feel horrible. Plus then everyone would post about how I didn't take care of the weapon and a bad guy got it and why didn't I just open carry it?

There are other threads already on this, but it comes down to this: the bad guys already carry concealed in restaurants and drink until they are plowed. The law-abiding person isn't one who is going to do that. The current system allows for the bad guys to drink and carry on next to a table of people, yet some of those people will be more nervous about the guy on the other side drinking a sprite with a gun on his hip. They don't think "wow, if the obnoxious ones have guns I could be in trouble." If VA allows concealed carry in restaurants then the owners are happy, the patrons are none the wiser (read: happy), the gun owners are happy, and the 911 operators don't get calls wasting their time. Everyone is happy. Very few states have this restriction, and concealed carry permit holders don't shoot up places because they are the good guys. There is no reasonable downside to the argument for allowing concealed carry in restaurants that I have heard. They all come down to bad guys doing bad things, but they can already do so freely. Concealed carry holders are good guys, not bad guys.

Date: February 27, 2007 07:52PM

Thanks for the help, and from what I gather FCPD doesn't seem to have a bad rep like a lot of departments do. Of course all have good and bad points, but it's good to see here, where everyone has a say so, most people don't just outright hate them, which is an improvement from what I've seen before. Unfortunately a room isn't good, for I have a family (wife and young son). I've found some apartments in Manassass and Fairfax that have good (good for the area that is) prices. Later y'all.

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: February 27, 2007 08:33PM

While I am definitely not for gun control, and own several handguns and rifles, these guys are just looking to cause a scene. Or better yet, make some money the 'ol fashion way....in a lawsuit. These guys have hit several places and several times the police have been called. Now this situation is not something the police handle everyday and I'm sure most members of a police department wouldn't be able to recite the law off the tops of their head. And I would bet that the individuals who were carrying the weapons weren't trying to possibly show that they were in the right. Maybe a copy of the code section or even a pamphlet to their organization. This was nothing but a setup. But I'm sure all jurisdictions have heard of this and the officers have been made aware on how to handle this situation.

If you want to educate people about gun control, right to carry, when to conceal/not to conceal, there are other ways. Its bad enough that some people dislike the police for who they are, but to make them look bad on purpose is ridiculous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2007 09:48PM by Highlander.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: February 27, 2007 09:45PM

I, having a low opinion of the police, kind of enjoy it when the cops get set up and walk right into it. Now, BigC, if you become a good cop, then if I see you walking into anything i set up, I will call it off.

Date: February 27, 2007 09:56PM

Well, thank you, I would appreciate that.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: February 27, 2007 10:01PM

That of course entails that you don't bust anyone for tipping you off about their illegal activites on this board.

Date: February 27, 2007 10:17PM

Well, I will also reinstate I'm not a police officer as of yet, and won't be for several several months. At the same time, I also encourage those who pursue illegal activities to keep it to themselves, because... well.. it's not bright to talk about your evil deeds.

Posted by: ??? ()
Date: February 27, 2007 11:13PM

Boris, sounds like those guys did their homework. I wouldnt want to be the one calling them retards and lawsuit shopping. I think it was a few years back either that group or one like them did the same thing in Fairfax. Did the fairfax cops charge them then later drop the case because what they were doing was legal?

I havent seen them file any lawsuits that I know of but it appears they could if they wanted to.

Date: February 28, 2007 09:49AM

Here is a video of the testimony from the Constitutional rights supporters to Manassas City on Monday night regarding the Tony's Pizza incident. It describes the story of what happened and provides a good education on the rules in this manner. Props go to the FCPD for their behavior in the Reston incident described near the end.

http://www.vcdl.org/Tonys/VCDL_Manassas.wmv

Posted by: ??? ()
Date: February 28, 2007 10:22AM

These guys seem pretty organized and know their rights. I think what causes the restaurant owners to ban them is fear of a lawsuit if anyone ever got injured. Anyone hurt would get more money going after a business than after a person. Not that the business is at fault, just know that lawyers go after the big money.

pgens thanks for taking the time to post the video

Date: February 28, 2007 10:55AM

No problem. As for getting sued I suppose that is a risk for any incident using any weapon, cutlery supplied by the restaurant, or even fists. I can't recall reading a story about a restaurant being sued for a bar fight, or a shopping mall sued when a shooting or fight happens. How many people are robbed or hurt in mall parking lots? In that case the malls usually have their own security people, and I don't think it is common to sue a shopping mall citing negligence due to lack of security or that kind of thing.

As for the "lawsuit shopping" comment Highlander, where are all the lawsuits? Where is the evidence that the Tony's group is some roving band of lawsuit opportunity hunters? These guys meet at places to eat all the time and have always done so, as described in the video. So what if they sue Manassas City? Would anyone here like it if they were surrounded by police and forced out of a restaurant because they wore a t-shirt protesting the Iraq war? It's only the next amendment over. My hope is that the police officers involved will be disciplined appropriately. Then again if officers who kill unarmed civilians in this area still work on their respective forces after the ultimate civil rights violation, I doubt throwing people out of a restaurant will result in just punishments. They have done right right thing in publicly addressing Manassas City with the complaint. If nothing is done, a lawsuit is the next appropriate step in correcting the wrong and preventing further harassment... Manassas City will either take appropriate action at this stage or they won't.

What surprises me most is where this happened... I'd expect this kind of stuff in more affluent areas, but police giving trouble to people over guns in Manassas City is just weird.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 28, 2007 11:19AM

pgens, I follow your logic, but by similar logic, lawsuits are so common that that in and of itself may be the reason we don't hear about a suit after a barfight.

It's possible the news outlets do not consider a typical lawsuit news, so then how would we hear about it without hanging out at the courthouse reading public douments?

Then again, usually poor white trash like inkahootz engage in bar fights, and they can nary afford a lawyer, so that blows my theory.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: February 28, 2007 01:26PM

Is it just me or is this about the 4th guy looking to become a Fairfax Policeman and asking advice of FXU? Just wondering.

Posted by: pgens read ()
Date: February 28, 2007 07:11PM

Don't misunderstand me. I dont think a restaurant should be liable for something a patron does. But I can see a lawyer saying "well you let him in carrying a gun you should have expected something to happen".

I bet those cops in manassas never expected to see the words from the computer transcripted to the group. I was very surprised they also got the internal emails of the city. I had no idea the FOIA could get that much info.

Date: March 01, 2007 10:48AM

True, but lawyers aren't limited to firearms for mischief. Check out this guy:

http://www.local6.com/news/11143651/detail.html

Posted by: § ()
Date: March 01, 2007 02:43PM

It's only a matter of time before the NRA HQ is relocated from Waples Mill Rd. in Fairfax to south of Rednecksburg. -§

Posted by: Enough already ()
Date: September 09, 2020 06:09PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.