HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Fairfax Resident A1 ()
Date: April 16, 2019 10:24PM

Has anyone had any services performed by "Old Dominion Anesthesia" in Chantilly or Fairfax? A relative of ours has and one very shady company especially with there outrageous billing they charge patients. They try to charge thousands and thousands for a very short procedure. They are used in particular by Gastroenterology Associates of Northern Virginia (GANV). Read several reviews on this by others to confirm and so it is true.

Anyone? Comments please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: shfdhfd ()
Date: April 16, 2019 10:29PM

Fairfax Resident A1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone had any services performed by "Old
> Dominion Anesthesia" in Chantilly or Fairfax? A
> relative of ours has and one very shady company
> especially with there outrageous billing they
> charge patients. They try to charge thousands and
> thousands for a very short procedure. They are
> used in particular by Gastroenterology Associates
> of Northern Virginia (GANV). Read several reviews
> on this by others to confirm and so it is true.
>
> Anyone? Comments please.

OK, nope. Never heard of them. Sorry.

Posted by: GI ()
Date: April 16, 2019 10:49PM

My Gastro gave me a packet essentially explaining they'd be out of network with my insurance. So I called them to see what this meant in real dollars and cents. It is somewhat shady but here is my understanding:

1. They will bill your insurance.
2. Since the doctor performing the service is in-network and the office is in- network, your insurance may just pay it.
3. If they refuse to pay it you agree to appeal that decision with your insurance on their behalf to try to get your insurance to pay it.
4. If the appeal is refused they will work it out with you directly and in no case will you owe more than $350 out of pocket for the anesthesia.

I had both scopes done. It looks like my insurance may have covered anesthesia on the first, haven't received claim docs for the second yet. As long as they honor their commitment I think it is fair. Though I do question how this is legal from an insurance standpoint. Seems like attempted insurance fraud on their part but what do I know?

Date: April 17, 2019 08:37AM

GI Wrote:
> My Gastro gave me a packet essentially explaining
> they'd be out of network with my insurance. So I
> called them to see what this meant in real dollars
> and cents. It is somewhat shady but here is my
> understanding:
>
> 1. They will bill your insurance.
> 2. Since the doctor performing the service is
> in-network and the office is in- network, your
> insurance may just pay it.
> 3. If they refuse to pay it you agree to appeal
> that decision with your insurance on their behalf
> to try to get your insurance to pay it.
> 4. If the appeal is refused they will work it out
> with you directly and in no case will you owe more
> than $350 out of pocket for the anesthesia.
>
> I had both scopes done. It looks like my insurance
> may have covered anesthesia on the first, haven't
> received claim docs for the second yet. As long as
> they honor their commitment I think it is fair.
> Though I do question how this is legal from an
> insurance standpoint. Seems like attempted
> insurance fraud on their part but what do I know?

Thank you for the response. But one difference in your experience was that the doctor on the relative here was In-Network.

Date: April 19, 2019 03:46AM

Everyone in the Fairfax area needs to read the reviews on this office on their billing procedures and patient care!!! GANV!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gastroenterology-associates-of-northern-virginia-chantilly-2?sort_by=date_desc

Date: April 19, 2019 04:07AM

Posted by: MedFraud ()
Date: April 19, 2019 04:03PM

Exactly. This entire area is loaded with so many crooks bilking the medical system and we are paying for them. Disgusting it is.

Posted by: arleenB ()
Date: April 30, 2019 06:13PM

My husband has also dealt with the billing at the Old Dominion Anesthesia Group and yes they keep sending out invoices and try to bill us with outrageous charges. Insurance companies are aware of there scams...let them hand it. Do not trust this practice of doctors.

Posted by: SOOIC ()
Date: May 07, 2019 03:16PM

The anesthesiologists (Old Dominion Anesthesia LLC) for the procedures has a strange (and fishy) way of business, in which they would bill you exorbitant fees (more than $7,000 for 2 anesthetists) and send a bill telling you to call your health insurance company to pay it for them.

Each and every time my wife and I had the procedures. If you don't, they will keep sending the bill, and they even notified us once they will send it to a collection agency if not paid in full. Well, you tell the doctor in advance that service providers, whether it be doctor for the procedure or anesthesiologists, or the medical center where it is performed, should be in-network so the services be fully covered by my health insurance company. But the Old Dominion does not participate with any health insurance plans.

AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

Posted by: GAR star ()
Date: May 07, 2019 10:53PM

On sundays at mikes, so many uppity niggers would dine there. They always ordered pork chops and copious amounts of lemonade. And guess what? They never tipped! Having a Sunday shift after nigger church got out was bad!

Posted by: Darwin67 ()
Date: May 09, 2019 03:54PM

GI Wrote:
> My Gastro gave me a packet essentially explaining
> they'd be out of network with my insurance. So I
> called them to see what this meant in real dollars
> and cents. It is somewhat shady but here is my
> understanding:
>
> 1. They will bill your insurance.
> 2. Since the doctor performing the service is
> in-network and the office is in- network, your
> insurance may just pay it.
> 3. If they refuse to pay it you agree to appeal
> that decision with your insurance on their behalf
> to try to get your insurance to pay it.
> 4. If the appeal is refused they will work it out
> with you directly and in no case will you owe more
> than $350 out of pocket for the anesthesia.
>
> I had both scopes done. It looks like my insurance
> may have covered anesthesia on the first, haven't
> received claim docs for the second yet. As long as
> they honor their commitment I think it is fair.
> Though I do question how this is legal from an
> insurance standpoint. Seems like attempted
> insurance fraud on their part but what do I know?

Response from me is that it is insurance fraud, plain and simple. These type practices from many of these doctors are giving a bad name to the medical profession and the insurance industry. Appeal as it is white collar crime. Many of these anesthesiologist are trying to get paid twice.

Posted by: #metoo ()
Date: May 09, 2019 04:04PM

We had this happen working with GANV too, anesthesia was capital anesthesia group though. Gastro guy in-network, anesthesiologist there for procedure not. Took a year to get it resolved, all along the way getting bills for thousands of dollars and we had to tell the insurance company we were getting them. ridiculous process, ended up paying like fifty bucks in the end when the anesthesiologist and the insurance company got done with their back and forth. Made me a supporter of single payer after that.

We delayed a family vacation six months because we didn't know how this would be resolved.

Posted by: #meetoo ()
Date: May 09, 2019 04:08PM

also GANV's "patient advocate" or "patient liaison" is complete bullshit, they are working on the same side of the table as the anesthesiologist scammers.

If they really cared they wouldn't tolerate this torture of their patients and fire the outfits that do that. They haven't, so clearly they don't advocate for anything other than their accounts receivable.

Date: May 09, 2019 04:24PM

These type of practices are not above the law and border on excessive billing and/or fraud. The advocates really don't care and should be reported to the state of Virginia. They need to be outed. These doctors must think they get BLANK CHECKS written to them for services rendered.

It should also be explained to the patient on how serious the billing charges would be and you would think that the GANV performing the procedure would be up front above it. But as you say, working the same side. This should best be settled in a court of law.

Posted by: Got that right>>>>>> ()
Date: May 09, 2019 09:00PM

#metoo Wrote:
> We had this happen working with GANV too,
> anesthesia was capital anesthesia group though.
> Gastro guy in-network, anesthesiologist there for
> procedure not. Took a year to get it resolved,
> all along the way getting bills for thousands of
> dollars and we had to tell the insurance company
> we were getting them. ridiculous process, ended
> up paying like fifty bucks in the end when the
> anesthesiologist and the insurance company got
> done with their back and forth. Made me a
> supporter of single payer after that.
>
> We delayed a family vacation six months because we
> didn't know how this would be resolved.

Single payer would be much easier and not cost any more. Probably less. Get rid of the insurance companies. They just drive up the prices so that they can clear a big profit. It is a ton of work straightening things like this out.

Posted by: # Dig Deeper ()
Date: May 10, 2019 03:48PM

Take some time to research who owns the anesthesia company.

Date: May 10, 2019 07:26PM

The Gastroenterologist owns the anesthesia company. So two separate companies which are part of the same procedure. One accepts in-network insurance and the other doesn't. All public info - Dr. Lance Lasner MD Centreville, VA.

I do question how this is legal from an insurance standpoint.

Posted by: The long and winding road ()
Date: May 12, 2019 11:53AM

Got that right>>>>>> Wrote:
> Single payer would be much easier and not cost any
> more. Probably less. Get rid of the insurance
> companies. They just drive up the prices so that
> they can clear a big profit. It is a ton of work
> straightening things like this out.

Except for the USA, the developed world pretty much all uses some form of single-payer. That is part of why so many among them have both cheaper and better overall health care than we do.

But while single-payer would certainly be a good thing to shoot for, our present system is that the lives and care of many hundreds of thousands of people are tied up in a massive web of private sector physicians, hospitals, insurers, and drug- and device-manufacturers. The path from Situation-A to Situation-B must be long and slow enough that our patient population can be 100% protected in the process. Having some "fall through the cracks" is not an option.

Date: May 12, 2019 04:39PM

The long and winding road Wrote:
> Got that right>>>>>> Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Single payer would be much easier and not cost
> any
> > more. Probably less. Get rid of the insurance
> > companies. They just drive up the prices so
> that
> > they can clear a big profit. It is a ton of
> work
> > straightening things like this out.
>
> Except for the USA, the developed world pretty
> much all uses some form of single-payer. That is
> part of why so many among them have both cheaper
> and better overall health care than we do.
>
> But while single-payer would certainly be a good
> thing to shoot for, our present system is that the
> lives and care of many hundreds of thousands of
> people are tied up in a massive web of private
> sector physicians, hospitals, insurers, and drug-
> and device-manufacturers. The path from
> Situation-A to Situation-B must be long and slow
> enough that our patient population can be 100%
> protected in the process. Having some "fall
> through the cracks" is not an option.

This has nothing to do with this issue of either fraud or abuse, call it by either name it's the same. .

Posted by: jimmyD ()
Date: May 13, 2019 07:44AM

"Let me explain to you what I do for a living!"

Posted by: Billed Twice ()
Date: May 13, 2019 01:55PM

same thing happened to me. Been a year with CIGNA. They have attempted to bill twice for same operation.

never never go to Old Dominion Anethesia.

Dr Sung Park is a fraud. Dr Elizabeth Koop is also part of the fraudlent billing practices.

Their copartner in crime at GANV, Gastroenterology Associates of Northern Virginia

Date: May 13, 2019 10:31PM

YES YES YES.

Finally some others are coming forward and waking up to their fraud and SCAM billing practices. The doctors referring patients to them should be made aware of these fraudulent billing practices.

Date: May 14, 2019 10:20AM

Another similarity seems to be Cigna as the health insurer, at least in the posts I looked through.

Here's a question that may remedy this going forward... any recommendations from anyone who has Cigna as their health insurer for a gastro facility who has had one or both scopes done, with anesthesia, and did not run into out-of-network billing issues for the procedure?

Posted by: Options ()
Date: May 15, 2019 06:47PM

Here is a link to file a complaint if you are not happy about your services. You will need have your facts in line, All complaints are investigated and this will cost them some money to have their council review and respond to the state.

http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/Complaints/

Good luck my friends.

Posted by: Educated Citizen ()
Date: May 15, 2019 06:58PM

I don't think the anesthesiologists and crnas are to blame. Most times they are contracted providers and get paid their fee and what gets billed and who profits is not their concern or business. There are a lot of GI practices that own their own anesthesia companies so do your research and it should be posted in the waiting room or you should sign documents to advise you. If you are unhappy or feel this isn't fair, speak up. Fill out complaints, contact your insurance and benefits coordinator and push for change. I have had my own personal experience with this, but at the same time ponder the fact I didn't owe a dime and my insurance paid. If I can get my services for free on my part but the big ins companies pay..is it that bad? If all I had to do was make a call to my insurance and I had no out of pocket expense that was nice.

Posted by: Write your Delegate ()
Date: May 15, 2019 10:05PM

Balance Billing is a real problem. Virginia unfortunately has no law against it.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2019/02/21/lawmakers-vowed-to-do-something-about-balance-billing-this-session-they-didnt/

Date: May 18, 2019 09:07PM

Educated Citizen Wrote:
> I don't think the anesthesiologists and crnas are
> to blame. Most times they are contracted providers
> and get paid their fee and what gets billed and
> who profits is not their concern or business.
> There are a lot of GI practices that own their own
> anesthesia companies so do your research and it
> should be posted in the waiting room or you should
> sign documents to advise you. If you are unhappy
> or feel this isn't fair, speak up. Fill out
> complaints, contact your insurance and benefits
> coordinator and push for change. I have had my own
> personal experience with this, but at the same
> time ponder the fact I didn't owe a dime and my
> insurance paid. If I can get my services for free
> on my part but the big ins companies pay..is it
> that bad? If all I had to do was make a call to my
> insurance and I had no out of pocket expense that
> was nice.

There are a lot of GI practices that own their own
> anesthesia companies so do your research and it
> should be posted in the waiting room or you should
> sign documents to advise you.

This may be true that the GI practices own their own anesthesia companies and in this case of OD Anesthesia it is true. However, their "owned anesthesia company" should not get paid if a contracted extra out of network anesthesiologist brought in from the outside should not additionally get paid. That is double billing and should might as well be called fraud or abuse.

Posted by: Uwtvv ()
Date: May 19, 2019 04:06PM

Single payer is a terrible idea

Posted by: Kebdt ()
Date: May 19, 2019 04:15PM

According to January NHS England data, almost 25% of cancer patients didn't start treatment on time despite an urgent referral by their primary-care doctor. If you are wondering what “on time” means, then think of how airlines pad travel times. For the NHS, “on time” already means 62 days after referral.

Sadly, waiting times do matter. Only 81% of UK breast cancer patients survive at least five years after diagnosis, compared to 89% in the United States, and just 83% of patients in the United Kingdom live five years after a prostate cancer diagnosis, compared to 97% in the United States.

Date: May 19, 2019 10:29PM

KEBDT. Your response makes no SENSE here. We are talking about fraudulent billing.

Posted by: FraudstersinVa ()
Date: June 03, 2019 04:09PM

100% TOTAL crooks who try to milk the insurance system. They've reported more than once.

Posted by: United ()
Date: June 03, 2019 05:19PM

I have UnitedHealth and those 2 anesthesia groups (Old Dominion, Capital)that they have to use are out of network. On the phone, cranky GANV woman will say insurance may cover the bill which is a big lie and a scam. This entire group is a double triple billing scam group and must be stopped. I’m looking at way to report them thru DPOR.

Posted by: FraudstersinVa ()
Date: June 03, 2019 06:51PM

Yes, they need to be reported to the Board of Medicine DHP in Virginia.

Posted by: Sue them ()
Date: June 04, 2019 02:54PM

Same thing happened to me. fucking scam. They own the anesthesia groups and double bill. Lance Lasner should get be in jail.

---------------
I will just confirm what others have said here about Old Dominion Anesthesia LLC. They will bill for "way over the top" and excessive charges with a letter sent to you in the mail. They will sign it as Old Dominion Anesthestia The Advocacy Department. Some, or should I say most, very reputable insurance companies will not cover such outlandish services. GANV will tell you it's not their problem. You ought to be able to trust that your doctor who would inform you they are using out of network providers. They have to know by now that Old Dominion Anesthesia is operating a scam!

This OD Anesthesia group tries to slip these charges thru and basically, it's hard to figure out why GANV, Old Dominion or Your reputable insurance (just fill in the blank) lets this go on.
Finally, you would think your GP who refers you to this group would be aware of these practices?

Posted by: WhoOwnsWhat ()
Date: June 04, 2019 05:14PM

They are going to be reported and will be investigated to the fullest.

GANV and Old Dominion Anesthesia give a bad name to the rest of the medical practice groups in this area who abide by the rules. They are on the clock.

Posted by: JetLounger ()
Date: June 10, 2019 09:54PM

A scam company. Dealt with them on same issue last year.

Date: June 12, 2019 11:33PM

I agree with the poster Options. They posted a link that will investigate Old Dominion along with Capitol. This appears to be a loophole and I would imagine soon this loophole will be regulated. The insurance companies are aware of this so maybe there will be new legislation coming.

Date: June 17, 2019 07:52PM

Yes, I hope so. They need to be investigated very soon. It's costs all of us tax paying citizens in the long haul.

Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Know Your Rights ()
Date: June 18, 2019 05:05PM

Ultimately just posting here is not going to resolve much. In my opinion filing a complaint at http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/Complaints/ and listing the referring physician (Which is the GI physician & the owner of the Anesthesia Group) as the provider is the best use of resources. This usually has to be specific because if its not then the Investigator will dismiss the complaint.

Take action and let our voices be heard.

Posted by: Public Information ()
Date: June 18, 2019 05:09PM

You can reach out to Lance Lasner with your concerns - Public Records provide an address:

http://www.city-data.com/fairfax-county/F/Founders-Ridge-Lane-2.html

1026 Founders Ridge Lane, Fairfax, VA

Posted by: PPD kor ()
Date: June 18, 2019 05:57PM

It is almost laughable to hear people who don't understand how healthcare works call for the legal system to intervene on their behalf.

And you-moron- who posts under multiple names in the same thread: we see your grammatical shortcomings and they easily tie your posts together.

You pay for insurance. Fact.
Your Policy has a network of approved doctors who are contractually obligated to charge specific amounts for specific services. Fact.
Your Policy states providers outside its network may charge differently for services and are not obligated to the insurer in any enforceable manner. Fact.
You chose to seek treatment with an out of network provider. Fact.

Your insurance company does not direct medical care. That is on you and your dr. The insurer must believe one who chooses to seek treatment out of network percieves a worthy value in that choice.

You pay for insurance and the carrier puts a lot of work into providing a product that serves inputs customer service and is profitable.

Let the system work the way it is designed to. You are paying for that.

Posted by: Making bank... ()
Date: June 18, 2019 08:53PM

Public Information Wrote:
> You can reach out to Lance Lasner with your
> concerns - Public Records provide an address:
>
> http://www.city-data.com/fairfax-county/F/Founders
> -Ridge-Lane-2.html
>
>
> 1026 Founders Ridge Lane, Fairfax, VA

Not too shabby.
He lives two doors down from Dr. Thal.

Posted by: WhoOwnsWhat ()
Date: June 26, 2019 07:23AM

PPD kor Wrote:
> It is almost laughable to hear people who don't
> understand how healthcare works call for the legal
> system to intervene on their behalf.
>
> And you-moron- who posts under multiple names in
> the same thread: we see your grammatical
> shortcomings and they easily tie your posts
> together.
>
> You pay for insurance. Fact.
> Your Policy has a network of approved doctors who
> are contractually obligated to charge specific
> amounts for specific services. Fact.
> Your Policy states providers outside its network
> may charge differently for services and are not
> obligated to the insurer in any enforceable
> manner. Fact.
> You chose to seek treatment with an out of network
> provider. Fact.
>
> Your insurance company does not direct medical
> care. That is on you and your dr. The insurer
> must believe one who chooses to seek treatment out
> of network percieves a worthy value in that
> choice.
>
> You pay for insurance and the carrier puts a lot
> of work into providing a product that serves
> inputs customer service and is profitable.
>
> Let the system work the way it is designed to.
> You are paying for that.

The system is not designed for fraudsters.

Posted by: M Johnson ()
Date: June 26, 2019 11:11AM

Don't know if this has meaning with respect to billing, but a call to Medicare will tell you of Dominion Anesthesia with address of 1701 George Mason Dr Arl
There is not a listing for "Old"Dominion Anesthesia" Same company?

Date: June 26, 2019 03:47PM

PPD kor Wrote:
> It is almost laughable to hear people who don't
> understand how healthcare works call for the legal
> system to intervene on their behalf.
>
> You chose to seek treatment with an out of network
> provider. Fact.

The fact is, at least in our case, GANV was listed in Cigna as an in-network facility. All services except the anesthesia were billed in-network.

At no point did GANV notify us we'd get over to $5K in separate billing from the anesthesiologist after the procedure (half billed for him, half billed for his group that supplied his helper nurse). Their "patient advocates" know this, their personnel that tell you your insurance is in order ahead of the procedure know this. We are quite careful with in-network billing after learning some lessons in that years earlier, and yet they still managed to fool us.

I would never recommend GANV to anyone, and unfortunately the experience discourages us from getting preventative screening procedures in the future.

Date: June 27, 2019 01:23AM

The fact is, at least in our case, GANV was listed in Cigna as an in-network facility.

#meetoo - Yes, you nailed it. They continue to dupe most everyone in Fairfax County with their double billing of anesthesia services. Do not recommend them to anyone.

Posted by: 8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8- ()
Date: July 06, 2019 01:50PM

What? You don't like our for-profit market-based health care system in the United States? The Greed is our God system? How un-American of you.

Posted by: lllll ()
Date: July 07, 2019 08:48PM

something is off about old dominion anesthesia. cigna was contacted bf procedure, ok to move forward with in network doctor. old dominion anesthesia $5k bill was received, called cigna, they will review, another late bill is received, cigna is called, they will review, another bill received, this has been going on for months, still not resolved. patient cannot pick an anesthesiologist independent of the doctor. seems like there may be a loophole in the system

Posted by: #&#&#&#&#&#&#& ()
Date: July 09, 2019 08:21AM

lllll Wrote:
> something is off about old dominion anesthesia.
> cigna was contacted bf procedure, ok to move
> forward with in network doctor. old dominion
> anesthesia $5k bill was received, called cigna,
> they will review, another late bill is received,
> cigna is called, they will review, another bill
> received, this has been going on for months, still
> not resolved. patient cannot pick an
> anesthesiologist independent of the doctor. seems
> like there may be a loophole in the system

......Particularly since it looks like Lasner owns or at least has a heavy interest in the anesthesia service. Is he double-dipping? Collects his procedural fee, then goes and has “anesthesia” send an inflated bill (claiming out of network?)for a service patients have no choice but to use (unless they want to skip anesthesia, which actually can be done), then he gets a cut of that after paying anesthesia. Hmmmmmm.........

Slick.

Posted by: #*#*#*#*#* ()
Date: July 09, 2019 08:27AM

Posted by: #*#*#*#*#* ()
Date: July 09, 2019 08:29AM

^^^^^Dr. Lasner is an “authorized official” of Old Dominion Anesthesia. Anybody know what that means? Is he authorized to accept mail or authorized to take a cut of the money?

Posted by: ah HA!!!!!!!!!! ()
Date: July 09, 2019 08:35AM

https://managemypractice.com/authorized-delegated-official-difference/

Dr. Lasner is definitely heavily involved in ODA. 5% owner, Chairman of the Board, CFO, etc. are required.

Posted by: ///// ()
Date: July 16, 2019 11:04AM

$&$&$&$&$&

Posted by: Informed Citizen ()
Date: August 02, 2019 06:23PM

Many surgeons do this. They own anesthesia and get the profits of anesthesia plus their surgeon fees and center fees if they own their own center etc. This is such a lucrative business and the big wigs profit. I feel this is a healthcare loophole that is being addressed and on insurance company radar but ask. When you need an EGD or Colonoscopy ask. The doctor is REQUIRED BY LAW to inform the patient of ownership. Just ask. Be informed and know who you are "supporting "

Posted by: =/=/=/= ()
Date: August 03, 2019 07:07AM

So Lasner claims he is in network for the GI portion, then charges 10 times the usual fee for anesthesia, claiming this other company he owns is NOT in network, then skims off of that, and after a battle between the patient, the insurance company, and Lasner.

I would be looking for another GI. What a creep.

Posted by: rc ()
Date: August 09, 2019 06:28PM

We got scammed exactly the same way. ODA is billing us for over $6000. Everything else got paid by the insurance. One significant detail- ODA waited for 1 year before sending us the bills. Our insurance Cigna has 1 year limit for any bill to be resolved. So ODA sends the bill to insurance company, insurance company pays whatever they want to pay, ODA waits till the insurance company is out of the loop and then sends bill to the patience for the balance amount. This is a clear fraud by ODA and GANV.

Any suggestions how to go about resolving this? Filling out complaint at http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/Complaints/. What else?

This fraud has to stop.

Posted by: rc ()
Date: August 09, 2019 07:26PM

One correction, the name of the main company doing colonoscopy/endoscopy is Northern Virginia Centre for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and not GANV. Apology for the error. They all have similar names. The one I'm referring to is in Chantilly on 3914 Centrevill RD, Suite 350.

Posted by: Another ODA out-of-network trick ()
Date: August 12, 2019 08:45PM

Another here... A relative had a colonoscopy a couple months ago at the "in-network" facility in Chantilly (3914 Centreville Rd), but got a $2900 bill from the "out-of-network" anesthesiologist (Old Dominion Anesthesia). And no, there was no mention up front of getting bills from any out-of-network provider. The defense for balance billing is that sometimes medical offices have to use outside services, and you should get all of the providers approved in advance, but nobody in the real world can do that. And if you google Old Dominion Anesthesia you'll see that the out-of-network anesthesia business has the same business office as the medical office that lures you in by being in your insurer's list of in-network providers. So it appears that the outside service provider is just them, pretending to be an unrelated anesthesia provider...that need you to pay them $3000 after you go to their in-network facility for a covered procedure. The insurance company may or may not pay it, but they need to stick up for their customers (yeah I know - just kidding) and drop the in-network business and its doctors from their network.

Posted by: =/=/=/=/==/ ()
Date: August 13, 2019 12:23PM

Another ODA out-of-network trick Wrote:
> Another here... A relative had a colonoscopy a
> couple months ago at the "in-network" facility in
> Chantilly (3914 Centreville Rd), but got a $2900
> bill from the "out-of-network" anesthesiologist
> (Old Dominion Anesthesia). And no, there was no
> mention up front of getting bills from any
> out-of-network provider. The defense for balance
> billing is that sometimes medical offices have to
> use outside services, and you should get all of
> the providers approved in advance, but nobody in
> the real world can do that. And if you google Old
> Dominion Anesthesia you'll see that the
> out-of-network anesthesia business has the same
> business office as the medical office that lures
> you in by being in your insurer's list of
> in-network providers. So it appears that the
> outside service provider is just them, pretending
> to be an unrelated anesthesia provider...that need
> you to pay them $3000 after you go to their
> in-network facility for a covered procedure. The
> insurance company may or may not pay it, but they
> need to stick up for their customers (yeah I know
> - just kidding) and drop the in-network business
> and its doctors from their network.

As I already pointed out........

Posted by: =/=/=/=/=/ ()
Date: August 13, 2019 12:24PM

=/=/=/= Wrote:
> So Lasner claims he is in network for the GI
> portion, then charges 10 times the usual fee for
> anesthesia, claiming this other company he owns is
> NOT in network, then skims off of that, and after
> a battle between the patient, the insurance
> company, and Lasner.
>
> I would be looking for another GI. What a creep.

See????

Date: August 14, 2019 07:35AM

OP here. I am so glad I started this link. Let's keep it going and all your input is vital to an investigation of Old Dominion Anesthesia and Dr.Lasner.

He needs charges brought against him for fraud and should be prosecuted by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Dr.Lasner has scammed his patients and the insurance system for way too long.

Date: August 14, 2019 06:01PM

To all that feel this is not right... complain to your insurance company or to the links provided above. Be heard and be your own advocate. Like I have posted before this is a loophole that MANY surgeons are benefiting on. Ask questions and be informed. No one protects our interests other than US unfortunately. Keep talking, sharing and learning.

Posted by: Hmmmmm.... ()
Date: August 14, 2019 07:39PM

Educated Citizen Wrote:
> To all that feel this is not right... complain to
> your insurance company or to the links provided
> above. Be heard and be your own advocate. Like I
> have posted before this is a loophole that MANY
> surgeons are benefiting on. Ask questions and be
> informed. No one protects our interests other than
> US unfortunately. Keep talking, sharing and
> learning.

This sounds like something CMS/Medicare/government needs to crack down on, actually.

Posted by: BillVA ()
Date: September 16, 2019 07:34PM

I made Capitol send me correspondence guaranteeing that my maximum Out of Pocket was the $350 someone mentioned in a previous post. The process is very sketchy (designed to grab as much $ as they can from any insurer), but I'll stand my ground and never pay a dime over the $350.

Emergency Rooms all over this area are notorious for this as well, out of network doctors, radiologists, etc. and they don't tell you in advance whether they are covered by your insurance or not. With all the politically connected folks in NVA it is surprising that these practices haven't been shut down by either State or federal government.

Posted by: Can’t stand them ()
Date: September 16, 2019 10:22PM

Don’t ever sign anything say of procedure

Find out ahead.

Posted by: Nino btc ()
Date: September 17, 2019 03:50PM

same thing is happening to me. Now there are asking me to pay 3k from my pocket. I asked the doctor how refer me to pick in network twice. I also ask the facility if they are and no one had mentioned to me that not all of them are network or not. What a scam. I will also fight for this by reporting it the VA state.

Posted by: Jair ()
Date: September 17, 2019 05:40PM

Yeah, same issue with those fools. Insurance is declining to help. I filed a report to DHS, though they found no fault. I'll just file again.

Posted by: ****************** ()
Date: September 17, 2019 08:17PM

They are greedy bastards who take advantage of people when they are down and out. Literally.

Posted by: Matt_0824 ()
Date: February 29, 2020 06:09AM

I am in a situation right now where they are billing me for $4,999 for anesthesia provided when I had colonoscopy done by GANV. I am working with a health advocate to help me resolve this matter.

Date: February 29, 2020 06:25AM

Just to add to what I said, I think they gave me assurances that they will not make me pay this at all. I have CIGNA as well and I have asked them to reprocess claims per Old Dominion Anesthesia's (ODA) instructions, still, they haven't paid them because ODA is out of network. Which I don't recall being made very clear to me. GANV was in-network but I didn't realize that ODA was not. We all should file a complaint with http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/Complaints/ so it becomes public record. I will and will call NBC4 or 7 on your side to have them investigate.

Date: February 29, 2020 06:32AM

In my case, I was given verbal assurances not to worry. They also sent a letter saying that if insurance doesn't pay, it is against the Health Care Act and therefore the "insurance company is not following the law." So this is misleading. The Health Care Act says preventive services are and should be covered by insurance provided it is in-network. So Old Dominion Anesthesiology's letter to me was misleading, which makes you wonder about verbal assurances given at the time I signed the papers. And GANV (the people who did my colonoscopy), had me sign electronically on an iPad and I have asked for copies to be emailed or made available in their portal and they are not. I can't help but question their integrity as well.

Posted by: Rico_A ()
Date: March 30, 2020 09:31PM

I am absolutely baffled about this BS. Like everyone else, I was billed by ODA a year after my colonoscopy for around $5,500. I was surprised because I was 100% sure that I got the OK from my doctor and insurance before the procedure.

ODA is an out-of-network provider, but since the colonoscopy was done in a preferred provider facility, my insurance will cover it. My insurance would cover any expenses for services from out-of-network providers if it were performed in a PP facility. I went and looked at the claim, the Insurance paid around $300 and didn't pay the rest. I spoke with insurance rep, and he told me that my policy covers ODA fees with "Usual and Customary charges," which means UHC won't pay a penny other than $300 because ODA is charging above and beyond the average cost of the procedure in the NoVA area.

I am dealing with insurance and ODA at this moment. Also, I will file a complaint with the Dept. of Health profession. Any advice would be appreciated!

Posted by: NJK ()
Date: April 20, 2020 11:39AM

Hello, I had my scope at GANV's Chantilly office in June 2019. Haven't received a bill from ODA yet but I can see 2 open claims of $3K each with my Insurance company, UHC. I was also assured by GANV of a max $350 charge from Anesthesia before the procedure. Reading all the comments above have been very enlightening. From what I understand, ODA will bill me after the 1 year period expires. Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening. Has ODA honored the $350 max charge promised to us patients by GANV? What do I need to do get to the $350 settlement without having to face the big bills? Thank you

Posted by: double billed ()
Date: April 20, 2020 02:42PM

so I had a procedure in spring 2018. In spring 2019 dominion anesthesia doubled billed for 2 doctors for thousands of dollars. same out of network crap. I had cigna. Cigan and the GANV/Dominion talked. said it was ok. then again Dominion trys to bill me, goes on an on for over a year. when finally it was dropped. Cigna referred the case to their fraud investigation.

Do NOT use Dominion Anesthesia

Do NOT use GANV

when doubled billed with 2 doctors do NOT pay, let insurance handle the interactions. Save all documents.

file complaint with virginia ...

http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/PractitionerResources/Enforcement/FileaComplaint/index.html

Posted by: Razz ()
Date: June 22, 2020 07:42PM

I'm writing this June 2020 as I received a bill for $5000+ from ODA for about 35 minutes worth of work 13 MONTHS AGO. Since Insurance covered my colonoscopy 100% we communicated that directly to GANV and advised them prior to scheduling that if they couldn't keep this in the Insurance Network to please advise and we would find another service provider. They said no problem. Lo and behold they used ODA who just happens to have the same physical address as GANV .. (didn't take me long to find this out), and ODA is not in network. The near fraud took place at the moment they failed to tell me they intended to use an out of network provider. GANV knew that fact from the start. I repeat, the two entities share THE SAME BUSINESS ADDRESS when you do the research. Insurance paid ODA the customary fees as expected, but here we are 13 months later and they are pulling the same crap on me that they have done to many of you and have presented me with a huge bill for services most insurance companies pay around $400 for.

Posted by: AP ()
Date: June 23, 2020 06:40PM

I’m going through this right now with ODA. It’s financially horrific. I will file a complaint and hope that there may be an advocate who can help.
Steer well clear of GI doc Lance Lasner unless you’re loaded with cash & don’t mind being lied to.

Posted by: NJK ()
Date: July 02, 2020 01:12PM

Hello Rico_A,

Any luck with your dealing with ODA and UHC? I have 2 open claims from ODC too (one for the anesthesiologist and the other in the name of ODC). I keep getting letters from UHC saying that ODC hasn't submitted an appeal for coverage with completed authorization.

Did you file your complaint? Where should I file one? I would like to back it up with my case.

Thank you.

Rico_A Wrote:
> I am absolutely baffled about this BS. Like
> everyone else, I was billed by ODA a year after my
> colonoscopy for around $5,500. I was surprised
> because I was 100% sure that I got the OK from my
> doctor and insurance before the procedure.
>
> ODA is an out-of-network provider, but since the
> colonoscopy was done in a preferred provider
> facility, my insurance will cover it. My insurance
> would cover any expenses for services from
> out-of-network providers if it were performed in a
> PP facility. I went and looked at the claim, the
> Insurance paid around $300 and didn't pay the
> rest. I spoke with insurance rep, and he told me
> that my policy covers ODA fees with "Usual and
> Customary charges," which means UHC won't pay a
> penny other than $300 because ODA is charging
> above and beyond the average cost of the procedure
> in the NoVA area.
>
> I am dealing with insurance and ODA at this
> moment. Also, I will file a complaint with the
> Dept. of Health profession. Any advice would be
> appreciated!

Posted by: Innocent Bystander ()
Date: September 27, 2020 10:34AM

I can tell you this setup is on purpose. It is common practice among GI practices across the US, as well as other specialties. It is a loophole they exploit. They know up front the anesthesia will be out of network. They bill you because they want you to spend hours arguing with your insurance company so the insurance eventually pays more and more. Once it is clear they will get no more payment from your insurance company, it will go away. The problem is it takes hours and hours of your time to be involved. Because they are out of network, the insurance company requires you to be involved. Your insurance will not discuss OON claims with anyone but you.

I do not understand how this is not a violation of Stark II. The GI practice owns the anesthesia practice.

It will do no good to go to CMS because they specifically do not do this with Medicare patients- they would be wearing orange jumpsuits, all of them.
My Aetna told me they were not allowed to use out of network ancillary providers per their contract with Aetna, so why is this not enforced? I do not understand.

Posted by: njkmohan ()
Date: October 24, 2020 12:46PM

How about complaining to our representatives and Senators?

Posted by: Anonny ()
Date: December 09, 2020 05:26PM

I just came across this thread as I was looking for an ODA contact to get a copy of my bill. Same things happened to me. All of these stories are almost identical to mine. Spent an enormous amount of my time to get this resolved. Finally got it resolved two years after the procedure. They sent a final bill which was much lower and I paid because I was exhausted from dealing with this. I will NEVER go back to them.

Posted by: njkmohan ()
Date: December 25, 2020 07:42PM

A Balance Billing law goes into effect in Virginia starting 2021 - https://www.scc.virginia.gov/pages/Balance-Billing-Protection. This should help

Posted by: 3xjtt ()
Date: December 26, 2020 08:36PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, all the insurance company cares about is money and all the anesthesiologist cares about is money.

You auto insurer too.

Posted by: RC2021 ()
Date: March 28, 2021 12:29PM

Well here we are...March 2021 and I am a victim too. Nothing has changed. $8000 unpaid out of network bill which I knew nothing about before.

Posted by: Hic ! I Get My Pain Killer ()
Date: March 28, 2021 12:59PM

At the gastro bar if they have not folded, the one named for someone named Louie

Posted by: There ALL DEMOCRATS STUPID ! ()
Date: March 28, 2021 01:06PM

How about complaining to our representatives and Senators?

Most stupid comment on FXU yet , as useless as are all Democrats in Congress and now the White House they only care about lining their personal pockets with federal gold and bennies , illegals to them are #1 , and taking law abiding peoples guns and getting fake voting fraud bills thur congress to cheat more while keeping schools overcrowded and everything in chaos

FACE IT WAKE UP TO WHAT DEMOCRATS ARE DOING TO YOUR RIGHTS ! YET YOU DON'T GIVE A DAMM IF YOUR A DEMOCRAT !

Posted by: Samantha ()
Date: April 09, 2021 06:29PM

It has nothing to do with politics, stupid. The best thing you can do is to let your gastro doc know they lost you as a patient over it. Maybe after enough people telling them, they will vote to stop using out of network associates.

Posted by: Sam001 ()
Date: June 17, 2021 11:37PM

I have similar situation insurance told me everything is covered . after the surgery they told me I owe ODA $2400 because it is not in not network, it's been five months since I did the surgery I haven't got the bill yet I'm terrified Idk how to deal with this big bill. did ur insurance end pay for it or u work out a deal with them .
thank you,
Sam

Posted by: Funnyist Comment On FXU ()
Date: June 18, 2021 12:05AM

>How about complaining to our representatives and Senators?

They are Democrats forget it, useless

Posted by: BTW Thanks ()
Date: June 18, 2021 12:13AM

For bringing this issue up , Ill be more on guard from now on to these scams so will others , I agree its purely rotten taking advantage of people who are down as one poster said

Posted by: Another ODA out-of-network trick ()
Date: October 17, 2021 12:51PM

This behavior is now illegal. Virginia passed a law to try to deal with this and it's already in effect. Basically it says the insurance companies have to fight it out with the scumbag service providers, but the patient cannot be billed by said scumbags for more than the insurance policy allows for. There is also a Federal law going into effect in 2022. I don't know much about them or how effective they'll be, but the links are below. I suspect if they force the insurance companies to fight the scumbags over money instead of making you do it, something will actually happen.

BTW we've been receiving bills from ODA for over 2 years now. Got insurance involved and we filled out some forms and I don't know if the amount changed, but we're still getting bills from ODA. I probably should have paid closer attention to it, but it's hard to pay close attention to something that you throw away. As others have said, complain to SCC and other regulatory bodies. But it might be better to complain to the insurance company AND ask your employer to complain to the insurance company. Insurance doesn't care about you but it probably scares them when they get a complaint from the person who chooses the corporate insurance provider every year or two. And ask your gastro if they use GANV and tell them you're getting another doctor.

https://www.vhha.com/communications/new-law-protects-virginia-patients-families-from-suprise-medical-bills/
https://www.vacep.org/news-blog/frequently-asked-questions-about-surprise-billing
https://www.kff.org/private-insurance/fact-sheet/surprise-medical-bills-new-protections-for-consumers-take-effect-in-2022/
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title38.2/chapter34/section38.2-3445.01/

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.