HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Fairfax Resident A1 ()
Date: April 16, 2019 10:24PM

Has anyone had any services performed by "Old Dominion Anesthesia" in Chantilly or Fairfax? A relative of ours has and one very shady company especially with there outrageous billing they charge patients. They try to charge thousands and thousands for a very short procedure. They are used in particular by Gastroenterology Associates of Northern Virginia (GANV). Read several reviews on this by others to confirm and so it is true.

Anyone? Comments please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: shfdhfd ()
Date: April 16, 2019 10:29PM

Fairfax Resident A1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone had any services performed by "Old
> Dominion Anesthesia" in Chantilly or Fairfax? A
> relative of ours has and one very shady company
> especially with there outrageous billing they
> charge patients. They try to charge thousands and
> thousands for a very short procedure. They are
> used in particular by Gastroenterology Associates
> of Northern Virginia (GANV). Read several reviews
> on this by others to confirm and so it is true.
>
> Anyone? Comments please.

OK, nope. Never heard of them. Sorry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: GI ()
Date: April 16, 2019 10:49PM

My Gastro gave me a packet essentially explaining they'd be out of network with my insurance. So I called them to see what this meant in real dollars and cents. It is somewhat shady but here is my understanding:

1. They will bill your insurance.
2. Since the doctor performing the service is in-network and the office is in- network, your insurance may just pay it.
3. If they refuse to pay it you agree to appeal that decision with your insurance on their behalf to try to get your insurance to pay it.
4. If the appeal is refused they will work it out with you directly and in no case will you owe more than $350 out of pocket for the anesthesia.

I had both scopes done. It looks like my insurance may have covered anesthesia on the first, haven't received claim docs for the second yet. As long as they honor their commitment I think it is fair. Though I do question how this is legal from an insurance standpoint. Seems like attempted insurance fraud on their part but what do I know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Fairfax Resident A1 ()
Date: April 17, 2019 08:37AM

GI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My Gastro gave me a packet essentially explaining
> they'd be out of network with my insurance. So I
> called them to see what this meant in real dollars
> and cents. It is somewhat shady but here is my
> understanding:
>
> 1. They will bill your insurance.
> 2. Since the doctor performing the service is
> in-network and the office is in- network, your
> insurance may just pay it.
> 3. If they refuse to pay it you agree to appeal
> that decision with your insurance on their behalf
> to try to get your insurance to pay it.
> 4. If the appeal is refused they will work it out
> with you directly and in no case will you owe more
> than $350 out of pocket for the anesthesia.
>
> I had both scopes done. It looks like my insurance
> may have covered anesthesia on the first, haven't
> received claim docs for the second yet. As long as
> they honor their commitment I think it is fair.
> Though I do question how this is legal from an
> insurance standpoint. Seems like attempted
> insurance fraud on their part but what do I know?

Thank you for the response. But one difference in your experience was that the doctor on the relative here was In-Network.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Fairfax Resident A1 ()
Date: April 19, 2019 03:46AM

Everyone in the Fairfax area needs to read the reviews on this office on their billing procedures and patient care!!! GANV!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gastroenterology-associates-of-northern-virginia-chantilly-2?sort_by=date_desc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Fairfax Resident A1 ()
Date: April 19, 2019 04:07AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: MedFraud ()
Date: April 19, 2019 04:03PM

Exactly. This entire area is loaded with so many crooks bilking the medical system and we are paying for them. Disgusting it is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: arleenB ()
Date: April 30, 2019 06:13PM

My husband has also dealt with the billing at the Old Dominion Anesthesia Group and yes they keep sending out invoices and try to bill us with outrageous charges. Insurance companies are aware of there scams...let them hand it. Do not trust this practice of doctors.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: SOOIC ()
Date: May 07, 2019 03:16PM

The anesthesiologists (Old Dominion Anesthesia LLC) for the procedures has a strange (and fishy) way of business, in which they would bill you exorbitant fees (more than $7,000 for 2 anesthetists) and send a bill telling you to call your health insurance company to pay it for them.

Each and every time my wife and I had the procedures. If you don't, they will keep sending the bill, and they even notified us once they will send it to a collection agency if not paid in full. Well, you tell the doctor in advance that service providers, whether it be doctor for the procedure or anesthesiologists, or the medical center where it is performed, should be in-network so the services be fully covered by my health insurance company. But the Old Dominion does not participate with any health insurance plans.

AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: GAR star ()
Date: May 07, 2019 10:53PM

On sundays at mikes, so many uppity niggers would dine there. They always ordered pork chops and copious amounts of lemonade. And guess what? They never tipped! Having a Sunday shift after nigger church got out was bad!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Darwin67 ()
Date: May 09, 2019 03:54PM

GI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My Gastro gave me a packet essentially explaining
> they'd be out of network with my insurance. So I
> called them to see what this meant in real dollars
> and cents. It is somewhat shady but here is my
> understanding:
>
> 1. They will bill your insurance.
> 2. Since the doctor performing the service is
> in-network and the office is in- network, your
> insurance may just pay it.
> 3. If they refuse to pay it you agree to appeal
> that decision with your insurance on their behalf
> to try to get your insurance to pay it.
> 4. If the appeal is refused they will work it out
> with you directly and in no case will you owe more
> than $350 out of pocket for the anesthesia.
>
> I had both scopes done. It looks like my insurance
> may have covered anesthesia on the first, haven't
> received claim docs for the second yet. As long as
> they honor their commitment I think it is fair.
> Though I do question how this is legal from an
> insurance standpoint. Seems like attempted
> insurance fraud on their part but what do I know?

Response from me is that it is insurance fraud, plain and simple. These type practices from many of these doctors are giving a bad name to the medical profession and the insurance industry. Appeal as it is white collar crime. Many of these anesthesiologist are trying to get paid twice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: #metoo ()
Date: May 09, 2019 04:04PM

We had this happen working with GANV too, anesthesia was capital anesthesia group though. Gastro guy in-network, anesthesiologist there for procedure not. Took a year to get it resolved, all along the way getting bills for thousands of dollars and we had to tell the insurance company we were getting them. ridiculous process, ended up paying like fifty bucks in the end when the anesthesiologist and the insurance company got done with their back and forth. Made me a supporter of single payer after that.

We delayed a family vacation six months because we didn't know how this would be resolved.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: #meetoo ()
Date: May 09, 2019 04:08PM

also GANV's "patient advocate" or "patient liaison" is complete bullshit, they are working on the same side of the table as the anesthesiologist scammers.

If they really cared they wouldn't tolerate this torture of their patients and fire the outfits that do that. They haven't, so clearly they don't advocate for anything other than their accounts receivable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Darwin67 ()
Date: May 09, 2019 04:24PM

These type of practices are not above the law and border on excessive billing and/or fraud. The advocates really don't care and should be reported to the state of Virginia. They need to be outed. These doctors must think they get BLANK CHECKS written to them for services rendered.

It should also be explained to the patient on how serious the billing charges would be and you would think that the GANV performing the procedure would be up front above it. But as you say, working the same side. This should best be settled in a court of law.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Got that right>>>>>> ()
Date: May 09, 2019 09:00PM

#metoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We had this happen working with GANV too,
> anesthesia was capital anesthesia group though.
> Gastro guy in-network, anesthesiologist there for
> procedure not. Took a year to get it resolved,
> all along the way getting bills for thousands of
> dollars and we had to tell the insurance company
> we were getting them. ridiculous process, ended
> up paying like fifty bucks in the end when the
> anesthesiologist and the insurance company got
> done with their back and forth. Made me a
> supporter of single payer after that.
>
> We delayed a family vacation six months because we
> didn't know how this would be resolved.

Single payer would be much easier and not cost any more. Probably less. Get rid of the insurance companies. They just drive up the prices so that they can clear a big profit. It is a ton of work straightening things like this out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: # Dig Deeper ()
Date: May 10, 2019 03:48PM

Take some time to research who owns the anesthesia company.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Fairfax Resident A1 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 07:26PM

The Gastroenterologist owns the anesthesia company. So two separate companies which are part of the same procedure. One accepts in-network insurance and the other doesn't. All public info - Dr. Lance Lasner MD Centreville, VA.

I do question how this is legal from an insurance standpoint.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: The long and winding road ()
Date: May 12, 2019 11:53AM

Got that right>>>>>> Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Single payer would be much easier and not cost any
> more. Probably less. Get rid of the insurance
> companies. They just drive up the prices so that
> they can clear a big profit. It is a ton of work
> straightening things like this out.

Except for the USA, the developed world pretty much all uses some form of single-payer. That is part of why so many among them have both cheaper and better overall health care than we do.

But while single-payer would certainly be a good thing to shoot for, our present system is that the lives and care of many hundreds of thousands of people are tied up in a massive web of private sector physicians, hospitals, insurers, and drug- and device-manufacturers. The path from Situation-A to Situation-B must be long and slow enough that our patient population can be 100% protected in the process. Having some "fall through the cracks" is not an option.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Fairfax Resident A1 ()
Date: May 12, 2019 04:39PM

The long and winding road Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got that right>>>>>> Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Single payer would be much easier and not cost
> any
> > more. Probably less. Get rid of the insurance
> > companies. They just drive up the prices so
> that
> > they can clear a big profit. It is a ton of
> work
> > straightening things like this out.
>
> Except for the USA, the developed world pretty
> much all uses some form of single-payer. That is
> part of why so many among them have both cheaper
> and better overall health care than we do.
>
> But while single-payer would certainly be a good
> thing to shoot for, our present system is that the
> lives and care of many hundreds of thousands of
> people are tied up in a massive web of private
> sector physicians, hospitals, insurers, and drug-
> and device-manufacturers. The path from
> Situation-A to Situation-B must be long and slow
> enough that our patient population can be 100%
> protected in the process. Having some "fall
> through the cracks" is not an option.

This has nothing to do with this issue of either fraud or abuse, call it by either name it's the same. .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: jimmyD ()
Date: May 13, 2019 07:44AM

"Let me explain to you what I do for a living!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Billed Twice ()
Date: May 13, 2019 01:55PM

same thing happened to me. Been a year with CIGNA. They have attempted to bill twice for same operation.

never never go to Old Dominion Anethesia.

Dr Sung Park is a fraud. Dr Elizabeth Koop is also part of the fraudlent billing practices.

Their copartner in crime at GANV, Gastroenterology Associates of Northern Virginia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Fairfax Resident A1 ()
Date: May 13, 2019 10:31PM

YES YES YES.

Finally some others are coming forward and waking up to their fraud and SCAM billing practices. The doctors referring patients to them should be made aware of these fraudulent billing practices.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: #meetoo ()
Date: May 14, 2019 10:20AM

Another similarity seems to be Cigna as the health insurer, at least in the posts I looked through.

Here's a question that may remedy this going forward... any recommendations from anyone who has Cigna as their health insurer for a gastro facility who has had one or both scopes done, with anesthesia, and did not run into out-of-network billing issues for the procedure?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Options ()
Date: May 15, 2019 06:47PM

Here is a link to file a complaint if you are not happy about your services. You will need have your facts in line, All complaints are investigated and this will cost them some money to have their council review and respond to the state.

http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/Complaints/

Good luck my friends.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Educated Citizen ()
Date: May 15, 2019 06:58PM

I don't think the anesthesiologists and crnas are to blame. Most times they are contracted providers and get paid their fee and what gets billed and who profits is not their concern or business. There are a lot of GI practices that own their own anesthesia companies so do your research and it should be posted in the waiting room or you should sign documents to advise you. If you are unhappy or feel this isn't fair, speak up. Fill out complaints, contact your insurance and benefits coordinator and push for change. I have had my own personal experience with this, but at the same time ponder the fact I didn't owe a dime and my insurance paid. If I can get my services for free on my part but the big ins companies pay..is it that bad? If all I had to do was make a call to my insurance and I had no out of pocket expense that was nice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Write your Delegate ()
Date: May 15, 2019 10:05PM

Balance Billing is a real problem. Virginia unfortunately has no law against it.

https://www.virginiamercury.com/2019/02/21/lawmakers-vowed-to-do-something-about-balance-billing-this-session-they-didnt/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Darwin67 ()
Date: May 18, 2019 09:07PM

Educated Citizen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think the anesthesiologists and crnas are
> to blame. Most times they are contracted providers
> and get paid their fee and what gets billed and
> who profits is not their concern or business.
> There are a lot of GI practices that own their own
> anesthesia companies so do your research and it
> should be posted in the waiting room or you should
> sign documents to advise you. If you are unhappy
> or feel this isn't fair, speak up. Fill out
> complaints, contact your insurance and benefits
> coordinator and push for change. I have had my own
> personal experience with this, but at the same
> time ponder the fact I didn't owe a dime and my
> insurance paid. If I can get my services for free
> on my part but the big ins companies pay..is it
> that bad? If all I had to do was make a call to my
> insurance and I had no out of pocket expense that
> was nice.


There are a lot of GI practices that own their own
> anesthesia companies so do your research and it
> should be posted in the waiting room or you should
> sign documents to advise you.

This may be true that the GI practices own their own anesthesia companies and in this case of OD Anesthesia it is true. However, their "owned anesthesia company" should not get paid if a contracted extra out of network anesthesiologist brought in from the outside should not additionally get paid. That is double billing and should might as well be called fraud or abuse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Uwtvv ()
Date: May 19, 2019 04:06PM

Single payer is a terrible idea

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Kebdt ()
Date: May 19, 2019 04:15PM

According to January NHS England data, almost 25% of cancer patients didn't start treatment on time despite an urgent referral by their primary-care doctor. If you are wondering what “on time” means, then think of how airlines pad travel times. For the NHS, “on time” already means 62 days after referral.

Sadly, waiting times do matter. Only 81% of UK breast cancer patients survive at least five years after diagnosis, compared to 89% in the United States, and just 83% of patients in the United Kingdom live five years after a prostate cancer diagnosis, compared to 97% in the United States.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Dominion Anesthesia
Posted by: Fairfax Resident A1 ()
Date: May 19, 2019 10:29PM

KEBDT. Your response makes no SENSE here. We are talking about fraudulent billing.

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
  ******    ********  **    **  **    **  ******** 
 **    **      **     **   **    **  **      **    
 **            **     **  **      ****       **    
 **   ****     **     *****        **        **    
 **    **      **     **  **       **        **    
 **    **      **     **   **      **        **    
  ******       **     **    **     **        **    
This forum powered by Phorum.