HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
HOV Violation- Go to court or pay upfront?
Posted by: RS ()
Date: February 22, 2007 10:18AM

Hi all

I will really appreciate anybody's help on this. I was caught a couple of days back for HOV violation on I-66. For some reason, it didnt strike me that the HOV restrictions were in place and was caught just before entering the HOV during the evening rush hour. This would be my first offense.

I just found out that the HOV offense amounts have been hiked a lot and I may have to pay as much as 200 bucks. Could anybody advise me whether I should just pay up now and avoid going to court? Or do you think my going to court will help reduce the fine in any way?

I will really appreciate your responses.

Thanks in advance.
RS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOV Violation- Go to court or pay upfront?
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 22, 2007 10:24AM

Under the new law, fines are doubled on the second offense as well as on subsequent violations that occur within five years of the first offense. The fine for a first offense will remain $50 plus $39 in court costs. The fine for a second offense increases from $100 to $200, a third offense from $250 to $500, and a fourth offense from $500 to $1,000. In addition, third- and fourth-time violators will receive three demerit points on their driving records for driving illegally in the HOV lanes.

Date: February 22, 2007 10:24AM

The law is actually pretty old now

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: February 22, 2007 11:05AM

I was caught about 8 years ago on I-66 for HOV. Actually I was caught on an I-66 exit ramp 10 minutes past the start of HOV. The cop was checking each car at the bottom of the exit ramp as it exited 66.

I went to court on the date to argue I was exiting 66, it just ten minutes past the start time... etc.. This was in an Alexandria court. One of the clerks of the court was cute so some how I ended up talking to her and explained my case. She laughed and said "HOV, I haven't seen anybody get out of that. You will not win.”

I paid the fine and left.

Posted by: § ()
Date: February 22, 2007 11:10AM

I guess that rules out the child in the trunk defense. -§

Date: February 22, 2007 11:22AM

§ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess that rules out the child in the trunk
> defense. -§

Yeah that one and the imaginary friend in the passenger seat. Kinda of funny, the cop asked me “if I knew that I was the only person in the car.”

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: February 22, 2007 11:31AM

Where does 66 enter Alexandria?

Date: February 22, 2007 11:38AM

Thanks a lot all for your responses. I was checking out the arlington court 703 number and the automated message states that the fine would be 181 dollars including 57 dollars for court fee. It seems like a real steep fine for a non-moving violation.

The webpage below mentions that fines were hiked in July 2006

http://www.virginiadot.org/news/newsrelease.asp?ID=NOVA-NR06-19

I guess I may just cough up rather tha spending half a day in court on a case that is a losing battle.

RS

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: February 22, 2007 12:23PM

how could you be caught "just before entering the HOV lane" Wouldnt a cop have to see you driving IN the HOV lane first and making no effort to exit that lane or using it as a passing lane? Are you even allowed to use HOV as a passing lane?

Date: February 22, 2007 01:46PM

Well... I will admit it was my mistake.... I was entering the highway but was on the ramp...

Date: February 22, 2007 02:04PM

My bad, maybe it was Arlington. I think it was the second or third exit off 66 leaving DC. The cop was at the bottom of the ramp with his car blocking one lane so everybody had to go by in a single lane. When he saw just one person in a car he waved them on to the shoulder.

Damn ramps!

Date: February 22, 2007 02:21PM

Thats exactly what happened to me.... Do you just plan to pay up or take the case to court?

Date: February 22, 2007 02:26PM

Read my 11:05am post, it explains more.

Date: February 22, 2007 02:47PM

I didnt realize I was talking to the same person. I really appreciate your response.

Thanks

Posted by: Rockford ()
Date: February 22, 2007 03:52PM

You won't get the fine dropped. It's a fixed fine by statute and the judge has no authority to drop the fine any lower. He will only find you guilty or not guilty. To be honest, I highly doubt you'll be found not guilty in which case the fine and outcome will be the same. The only difference is that you would have wasted half of your day since troopers write a ton of tickets and are at the end of the day's docket.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: February 22, 2007 07:35PM

§ Wrote:
> I guess that rules out the child in the trunk
> defense. -§

Would having Gravis in the trunk count for anything?

Posted by: congrats ()
Date: February 22, 2007 08:06PM

To anyone who can figure out the mess that is 66 west of 495. Lanes switching back and forth, lanes end and lanes begin with no warning. Green and red signals, begin to exit here, and people doing anywhere between 35 and 95.
The worst part is westbound at the 50 interchange, there is only a hundred feet of merge lane for the people coming off 50 to go west on 66.
When it rains that road is a death trap.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: February 22, 2007 08:53PM

I agree that you shouldn't waste your time... I'd eat it.

The thing with HOV enforcement is they almost always enforce it on the ramps. If you are going straight from DC to 495 (or the other way in the morning), chances are you aren't going to get nabbed inside the beltway on I-66. They seem to do a better job outside the beltway in the HOV lane.

I was actually in personal contact with the First Sergeant for the VA state police in charge of that area on related issues. I asked him WTF was up with the lax in-lane enforcement and he was very frank about it... he said they lose officers because the shoulders are too narrow in places and they can and do get hit sometimes. It's an officer safety issue. Plus the Arlington cops sometimes man the ramps because it is off the interstate and out of direct/understood VA state cop areas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 12:55PM by pgens.

Date: February 22, 2007 10:19PM

I would only disagree for one reason... arlington pd. Those guys are pretty averse to showing up for court, and I watched a whole slew of charges get dropped one day because of it. All kinds of stuff - speeding, DOS, even a DUI.

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: February 25, 2007 02:43PM

it didnt strike me that
> the HOV restrictions were in place and was caught
> just before entering the HOV

If you had not entered the HOV you would not have gotten the ticket. Pay the fine and next time your on the hwy pay attention to what your doing.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: February 27, 2007 09:49PM

Didn't he say he was on the exit ramp? Everyone knows how bad traffic is around here and its damn hard to merge with all those soccer moms crowding the lane and goign slow and not letting you in.

Posted by: ------------ ()
Date: February 28, 2007 07:21AM

If you got a ticket from a cop, your guilty. Prepay the fine and save your time and energy on learning to drive so you dont get another ticket.

Posted by: Sam ()
Date: November 04, 2007 08:06PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Didn't he say he was on the exit ramp? Everyone
> knows how bad traffic is around here and its damn
> hard to merge with all those soccer moms crowding
> the lane and goign slow and not letting you in.

HOV Violation- Go to court or pay upfront?
Posted by: Sam ()
Date: November 04, 2007 08:20PM

Guys it happened to me too. I live in Virginia Beach, VA and was visiting DC. I entered I-66 from Arlington (Lee Hwy) after coming from Key Bridge. I exited at Rt. 7 Tyson’s corner. The usual 1 lane blocked and bunch of troopers. My trooper was fresh out of High school if not younger. He stopped me, I kept explaining that I just came from VA Beach, and do not live here, know nothing about HOV, in our area HOV is part of HWY not the whole HWY.....The guy heard nothing and while he was suppose to be checking my Drivers License, came back with the ticket. I refused to sign but he gave it to me any way, almost hand cuffed me because I continued explaining that it was unintentional and I am a visitor here. I am not sure how much it is. It is my first HOV violation and first violation in about 8 years plus. Should I take a day off travel (200 X 2) 400 miles or just pay the money that I don't have. My court is in two weeks.
-Sam

Posted by: gesoffen ()
Date: November 05, 2007 06:34AM

Refusing to sign is a GREAT way to get on a Trooper's good side. Signing is not an admission of guilt, it merely recognition of you summons and that the information was clearly presented to you buy the trooper. Pay the fine, don't be an Ahole to trooper's and next time you're in the area, read the road signs.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: November 05, 2007 12:33PM

Sure would be nice if the road signs were placed in locations where they could be read, would be a lot easier to read them.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: November 05, 2007 01:01PM

There is always few troopers waiting on RT 7 exit towards Tysons :-)

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: November 05, 2007 02:04PM

"I was caught a couple of days back for HOV violation on I-66. For some reason, it didnt strike me that the HOV restrictions were in place and was caught just before entering the HOV during the evening rush hour."

Not like the cops/judge haven't heard that one before.

I see this shit on I-66 all of the time. It seems like every ramp is swarming with cops and, I'll be damned, they all have several cars pulled over.

Here's a hint. If you don't have a hybrid or people in your car, don't drive I-66 HOV.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: November 05, 2007 02:28PM

You can drive on HOV, if you are going to Dulles :)

Posted by: HOVHate ()
Date: November 05, 2007 02:47PM

Doesn't it seem kinda of crazy that one of the MAJOR highways into DC turns into HOV at certin times of the day. Any out of state driver would probbly get caught unless he was told before hand.

In fact i don't know of any other major cities that do this.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 05, 2007 03:09PM

There is always few troopers waiting on RT 7 exit
> towards Tysons :-)

I drive by that 66/Rt.7 exit everyday, and it sure seems like they catch alot of people, there's almost always someone pulled over, sometimes multiple cars. Sorta surprising that so many people still do it even when it's strictly enforced like that.

Posted by: gabydamage ()
Date: November 05, 2007 03:11PM

Yeah. I just moved to Fairfax, and started commuting to Gaithersburg,MD. The rules, lack of signs, lights red and green, arrows, AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH. Figure its just easier staying in the right hand slow lane the entire time till I get used to all this crap.

Posted by: BR ()
Date: November 05, 2007 03:23PM

Sam Wrote:
> I refused to sign but
> he gave it to me any way, almost hand cuffed me
> because I continued explaining that it was
> unintentional and I am a visitor here. I am not
> sure how much it is. It is my first HOV violation
> and first violation in about 8 years plus. Should
> I take a day off travel (200 X 2) 400 miles or
> just pay the money that I don't have. My court is
> in two weeks.
> -Sam

Pay the fine. Refusing to sign and generally making stink isn't going to help you on what's a tough case to begin with. You'll burn up a tank of gas or two just getting here.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: November 05, 2007 04:03PM

"Doesn't it seem kinda of crazy that one of the MAJOR highways into DC turns into HOV at certin times of the day. Any out of state driver would probbly get caught unless he was told before hand."

The roads do suck, as does the signage. However, Ignorantia juris non excusat.

Posted by: Mr. Grouch ()
Date: November 05, 2007 04:15PM

Fairfax MF---er Wrote:

> The roads do suck, as does the signage. However,
> Ignorantia juris non excusat.

damn illegals with your 'romance' languages.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: November 05, 2007 10:57PM

Mr. Grouch Wrote:
> Fairfax MF---er Wrote:
>
> > The roads do suck, as does the signage.
> However,
> > Ignorantia juris non excusat.
>
> damn illegals with your 'romance' languages.

Has Prince William County passed any laws against illegal Romans?

Posted by: Howie Feltersnatch ()
Date: November 06, 2007 08:40AM

Romanes Eunt Domus!

Posted by: RATZ'AZZ ()
Date: November 06, 2007 09:31PM

The HOV signs are posted EVERYWHERE and clearly state what the hours of restriction are morning and afternoon.

You LAMERS that were snagged by da police where too freakin busy yakin on your cell phones, scratching your crab infested crotches, putting on your make-up(isn't an inch thick layer enough) or just too self centered to care to read the signs or gee look for the DIAMONDS on the pavement.

I have no symphathy for anyone who gets boned for violating the HOV restrictions and am tired of reading your "oh poor me" excuses. Your driver's license is a privledge granted to you by the Commonwealth (yeah you pay for it,big deal) NOT a RIGHT!!!! If you can't give full time attention to the operation of your vehicle and the rules of the road, park it and ride the METRO, then you won't have to worry about all the mean troopers who write your lame AZZ for breaking the law.

1st offense fine $125.00 2nd-$250.00 3rd-$500.00 4th $1000.00 plus $57.00 cost of court.

PAY UP and SHUT UP.
Attachments:
69557,1192923647,1.jpg

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 06, 2007 09:34PM

go to the nearest 7-11. Pay an illegal immigrant 300 dollars to go the court and plead NOT guilty. Done and done.

Posted by: belgianbeer@aol.com ()
Date: March 02, 2009 03:02AM

I used to be pro-police, but now I hate them. they're cowards and they're robbers. they don't help you when you need them, all they want to do is write tickets and get MONEY. It's an extortion racket, they don't "protect and serve" they victimize people and write tickets because it's safe and easy. they're scum. how am I supposed to pay this ticket? something needs to be done about these cops. I hate them now and I'm never going to help the police ever.

what kind of sick human being would sit there and ROB law-abiding citizens...I got a ticket for $310 because I got on the HOV lane inside I-66 by mistake, it was 3 minutes past 5 or something. This is EXTORTION. the old lady down the street is getting raped and robbed but these cowardly police are extorting money from motorists because it's SAFE. I'm not going to shoot back, criminals do. the police are cowardly. they're nothing but robbers themselves. How and I supposed to pay $310? that's like almost half a week's pay. I could understand $50 or something,

Posted by: belgianbeer@aol.com ()
Date: March 02, 2009 03:06AM

RATZ'AZZ Wrote:
> The HOV signs are posted EVERYWHERE and clearly
> state what the hours of restriction are morning
> and afternoon.
>
> You LAMERS that were snagged by da police where
> too freakin busy yakin on your cell phones,
> scratching your crab infested crotches, putting on
> your make-up(isn't an inch thick layer enough) or
> just too self centered to care to read the signs
> or gee look for the DIAMONDS on the pavement.
>
> I have no symphathy for anyone who gets boned for
> violating the HOV restrictions and am tired of
> reading your "oh poor me" excuses. Your driver's
> license is a privledge granted to you by the
> Commonwealth (yeah you pay for it,big deal) NOT a
> RIGHT!!!! If you can't give full time attention
> to the operation of your vehicle and the rules of
> the road, park it and ride the METRO, then you
> won't have to worry about all the mean troopers
> who write your lame AZZ for breaking the law.
>
> 1st offense fine $125.00 2nd-$250.00 3rd-$500.00
> 4th $1000.00 plus $57.00 cost of court.
>
> PAY UP and SHUT UP.

I'm going to laugh so hard when you or a family member gets killed by some crack head because the police were too busy extorting money from law-abiding motorists instead of protecting society like a real police department should. they're nothing but a tax collection agency and every time I hear it on the news some cop got killed it makes me happy cops brains splattered on the sidewalk cowardly cop scum die

Posted by: Doubtful ()
Date: March 02, 2009 07:22AM

belgianbeer@aol.com Wrote:
> I used to be pro-police, but now I hate them.
> they're cowards and they're robbers. they don't
> help you when you need them, all they want to do
> is write tickets and get MONEY. It's an extortion
> racket, they don't "protect and serve" they
> victimize people and write tickets because it's
> safe and easy. they're scum. how am I supposed
> to pay this ticket? something needs to be done
> about these cops. I hate them now and I'm never
> going to help the police ever.
>
> what kind of sick human being would sit there and
> ROB law-abiding citizens...I got a ticket for $310
> because I got on the HOV lane inside I-66 by
> mistake, it was 3 minutes past 5 or something.
> This is EXTORTION. the old lady down the street
> is getting raped and robbed but these cowardly
> police are extorting money from motorists because
> it's SAFE. I'm not going to shoot back, criminals
> do. the police are cowardly. they're nothing but
> robbers themselves. How and I supposed to pay
> $310? that's like almost half a week's pay. I
> could understand $50 or something,

"Law abiding"? And it's the LAW that you must have 2 or more or 3 or more people to a vehicle when driving in the HOV lanes. YOU broke the LAW, that means you are no longer a Law Abiding citizen. GEt off oyur high horse and accept the punishment for your actions. If you don't like the punishment, you should have done something when the legislature was creating the law. The fines were increased not that long ago, you could have written a petition and made a difference, but you didn't, so now you're bitching because you got caught.

And there wasn't any woman getting robbed or raped, except maybe you. Come on, read the signs and learn your lesson. I bet you think driving 62 in a 55 is okay too.

Posted by: Merritt ()
Date: March 02, 2009 01:53PM

Just tell the cop you're not alone in the car. Tell them you've got the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit with you. Perhaps when the officer is done laughing they'll let you go with a warning....

Posted by: terry ()
Date: January 01, 2011 08:19PM

I mean basically law-abiding people...people who are not criminals...if you go on technicalities then pretty much EVERYONE is a law-breaker...these days, they pass bills that are over 2,000 pages long without reading them so there are so many rules it's impossible to obey them all...

HOV lanes are illegitimate...those lanes are MY lanes, I pay for them just like every other person who pays taxes it's none of the government's business how many people are in my car...

all these regulations yes I know people shouldn't speed and cut people off and drive aggressively it's dangerous but it's not hurting anyone to drive your with only yourself in it...that's why they make a zillion different laws so that you break one inadvertently and they can rape you out of $300...

if it's so important maybe they can make the fine $50 and I would get the message there's no need for a $300 fine, I can afford the $300 but what about someone who that's their entire week's pay...

I heard on the radio today a D.C. cop got his brains splattered all over the side walk by a crack head and I was so happy all day long I bought a round of beers for people and I hope it was the cowardly cop who gave me that ticket and his wife is a widow and his kids are screwed and his daughter grows up to be a slut cos daddy wasn't there...

I HATE COPS!!!!!!!! and don't give me that crap about "they protect us"...they DO NOT protect us...they don't protect anything...

Posted by: To Terry ()
Date: January 01, 2011 08:28PM

You are one sick fuck. Do us all a favor and do yourself in. You sound like a hot mess. If the HOV lane makes you this made you really have a problem.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: January 02, 2011 11:58AM

terry Wrote:
> I mean basically law-abiding people...people who
> are not criminals...if you go on technicalities
> then pretty much EVERYONE is a law-breaker.

Being on a road when the signs say you shouldn't isn't a "technicality," it is an offense you should be caught and fined for.

> HOV lanes are illegitimate...those lanes are MY
> lanes, I pay for them just like every other person
> who pays taxes it's none of the government's
> business how many people are in my car

By that reasoning you should be able to walk into any federal government building. Try CIA HQ first and please have someone filming you approaching the gate. I would love to see that one you dummy.

> I can afford the $300 but what
> about someone who that's their entire week's
> pay...

Tough shit, read road sings like you are supposed to an you don't pay anything.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: Hmmm ()
Date: April 16, 2011 01:55PM

you people are nuts, and the woman who hates cops and thinks they should die, you're probably one of those people out there protesting military funerals too. There's medication for that insanity you know. Getting ticketed for HOV sucks, I just paid my first ticket for it $187, and I got on by accident. It just teaches you to pay more attention, yes it sucks, I can't really afford it, but I won't do it again, that's for sure. Lesson learned. The cop did his job, he has to support his family somehow too. everyone has a job and he was doing his, a crappy one to have, but someone's gotta do it.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: April 16, 2011 03:07PM

terry Wrote:
> I can afford the $300
>

And that's why the fine is so high. If it was merely $50, hundreds of people would be out there, willing to pay the fine regularly. Well, until they got their licenses revoked at least.

The HOV lanes are there for a reason. Deal with it. I don't like the speed limits they put on some roads, but hey, that's the law, so I deal with it.

If you want to break the law, you have to pay the consequences when you get caught.

Want the police to do something 'more important'? Well, then stop breaking the traffic laws. They enforce the laws, they don't make them.

Posted by: Pay the fine Pedro ()
Date: April 16, 2011 07:34PM

belgianbeer@aol.com Wrote:
> I used to be pro-police, but now I hate them.
> they're cowards and they're robbers. they don't
> help you when you need them, all they want to do
> is write tickets and get MONEY. It's an extortion
> racket, they don't "protect and serve" they
> victimize people and write tickets because it's
> safe and easy. they're scum. how am I supposed
> to pay this ticket? something needs to be done
> about these cops. I hate them now and I'm never
> going to help the police ever.
>
> what kind of sick human being would sit there and
> ROB law-abiding citizens...I got a ticket for $310
> because I got on the HOV lane inside I-66 by
> mistake, it was 3 minutes past 5 or something.
> This is EXTORTION. the old lady down the street
> is getting raped and robbed but these cowardly
> police are extorting money from motorists because
> it's SAFE. I'm not going to shoot back, criminals
> do. the police are cowardly. they're nothing but
> robbers themselves. How and I supposed to pay
> $310? that's like almost half a week's pay. I
> could understand $50 or something,

Are you an illegal??

Posted by: chico ()
Date: April 17, 2011 04:25PM

pay the fine we need your taxes
Attachments:
Funny_Pictures_5819.jpg

Posted by: rob ()
Date: April 17, 2011 04:50PM

it doesnt help that the HOV signs were removed from the ramps at rt.7 in falls church.

Posted by: * ()
Date: April 17, 2011 10:58PM

>>he has to support his family somehow too

I smell a pig

Posted by: Stones ()
Date: April 18, 2011 12:10AM

No one beats an HOV ticket. Seriously, I'm in court all the time for my job and when it comes to HOV, it's very cut and dry. First offense, this, second that, etc. Don't waste your time in court. I've seen 100 defenses including, out of town, confused, sick daughter in the ER and the judge basically says even if I wanted to do something, I can't. Hov violations are HOV violations and that's why they give you 3 of them before they get real bad so you don't screw up more than twice because there is no pass.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.