HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How much can you legally obstruct someone's driveway
Posted by: ParkingQ ()
Date: April 10, 2019 04:47PM

One of my neighbors has decided they want to leave their car parked in front of my house without moving it. I accept that this person is a dbag and that is their legal right (or at least it's difficult to prove the vehicle is abandoned) but how much are they allowed to obstruct my driveway? Most people don't park in front of the white concrete (e.g. blue car on the left) but this guy in the white car is making it more of a pain to get in and out of my driveway.

Ty for anyone who responds seriously.
Attachments:
IMG_20190410_164305.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much can you legally obstruct someone's driveway
Date: April 10, 2019 04:48PM

Blue car on the right** not left

Posted by: tdm6p ()
Date: April 10, 2019 04:57PM

Hard to tell, can you please post a larger picture.

Date: April 10, 2019 05:13PM

This site's interface is vintage mid-aughts. Most forums would auto resize, but I obviously can't edit the photo now.

Posted by: Jrdwl ()
Date: April 10, 2019 05:15PM

Not sure where you live. In some places it is illegal to park within 10 feet.

Posted by: Calling all cars ()
Date: April 10, 2019 05:26PM

Ask the police to come by and take a look.

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: April 10, 2019 05:31PM

Sugar in the gas tank, slashed tires, keyed paint...this is now no longer a problem for you.

Posted by: 10 Feet ()
Date: April 10, 2019 05:33PM

Date: April 10, 2019 05:36PM

Thank you 10 feet, i appreciate it. although this would really affect everyone in my neighborhood because there aren't even 20 feet between driveways

Posted by: Louie Chevrolet ()
Date: April 10, 2019 06:19PM

I once had a neighbor who would block my driveway, but I told that if he didn’t stop, I’ll ram his cars out the way with my Silverado , problem solved.

Posted by: 4DVLJ ()
Date: April 10, 2019 07:10PM

Zero inches of your driveway. You could have that car towed away in 15 minutes. Call one of the predatory tow companies (Advance, Henry's), they will be delighted to help you.

Posted by: ........ ()
Date: April 10, 2019 08:24PM

Be a man and call a tow company. Don't call the cops because your neighbor is a cunt.

Posted by: CNCW6 ()
Date: April 10, 2019 09:20PM

10 feet is my understanding. My 86 year old mother was ticketed for this near a school she was attending an art class in. The homeowners across the street from the school hated all the parking and they called the police all the time. I think my mom was like 7 feet, not not anywhere close to the white car in the picture. This was in Fairfax County, near the Adult Education Center in Pimmit Hills.

Posted by: parking police ()
Date: April 11, 2019 11:38AM

just rub some dog shit on the underside of the door handles.

or put a small pebble under each valve stem cap and then screw them back down. air will slowly leak out of the tire, resulting in 4 flat tires. but no damage

or get some sardine or anchovy oil and pour it into the cowl vents at the base of the windshield.

but you'd only get to either of these once, as the owner would probably put a camera on the car to find who did the stuff the next time.

or just call FFPD thats what you your taxes for. Just remember, that this also means that YOU cannot park less than 10 feet from your own driveway otherwise you could get a ticket.

have you tried talking to your neighbor. maybe print out a copy of the county statute and show them.

once you call the cops or tow trucks on your neighbor, the relationship is going to be nonexistent and i would imagine that the petty back and forth behavior will only escalate

Posted by: parking retard ()
Date: April 11, 2019 11:54AM

parking police Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just rub some dog shit on the underside of the
> door handles.
>
> or put a small pebble under each valve stem cap
> and then screw them back down. air will slowly
> leak out of the tire, resulting in 4 flat tires.
> but no damage
>

yeah, messing with someone’s car when they know exactly where you live and park your own car, what a brilliant idea

Posted by: OP IS POOR ()
Date: April 11, 2019 07:57PM

OP is low income:

1. Neighbor has Hyundai as his dream car...
2. Doesn’t bag his grass when he mows.
3. Let’s grass die in sidewalk.

Posted by: Because you asked ()
Date: April 11, 2019 08:02PM

Be a dick if it makes you happy........

Posted by: .... ()
Date: April 11, 2019 09:07PM

The white car is not parked legally. Try to politely ask the a hole not to block the driveway. His response dictates your next move. Before you make the next move get cameras installed, preferably with sound. I suspect you will need to document a few things. That's how I'd start..

Date: April 12, 2019 03:11PM

Borrow a big heavy dump truck from someone and park it in your driveway.

Install and test your house/door video camera.
Capture footage showing that they park in front of your driveway.

After it is nice and dark out, ram that fucker straight down your driveway.
Truck will bash and bend and push obstruction out of driveway and into road.

Neighbor might not even approach you, since they know they left
their car in front of your driveway. How long did they think
it would remain there, blocking the road, before there was an accident?

Posted by: FFXNoPoliteD-bags ()
Date: April 13, 2019 11:43AM

.... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The white car is not parked legally. Try to
> politely ask the a hole not to block the driveway.
> His response dictates your next move. Before you
> make the next move get cameras installed,
> preferably with sound. I suspect you will need to
> document a few things. That's how I'd start..

Don't bother talking to him politely. He knows what he is doing is causing you inconvenience and he doesn't care.

If you do talk to d-bag, talk firmly and directly (not threateningly). If he does it again, have him towed. Keep taking pictures.

FFX is full of d-bags people will walk all over you if you let them. Illegal parking, tons of unwarranted handicapped tags, trash, barking dogs and dog shit bags left on streets and yards, speeding cars, back stabbing "friends," bored/dumb "busy" mommies who stay at home for 40+ years drinking coffee/wine and eating and walking a dog for a living...

In NC now, and don't miss you FFX f*ckers... yeah, yeah, u don;t miss me either. Glad I'm here, AND that you're there!

Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: April 13, 2019 06:47PM

People can be remarkably oblivious. And some people kind of know that they’re doing something wrong but they won’t stop unless someone points it out. I would try to talk to the guy on the assumption he’s not deliberately being as asshole. Take a copy of the 10 foot reg with you, but don’t bring it out unless he turns belligerent. If that doesn’t work, then it’s time to get serious, BUT not destructive.

Posted by: MPEJU ()
Date: April 13, 2019 10:09PM

All you need is a can of outdoor enamel yellow permanent paint and a tape measure.
Call the towing company to remove any vehicle within 10 feet of your driveway. Measure 10 feet in both directions of the drive way's edge, paint away, and if anybody ignores that just call a police or wrecker to take them away. Your problems is that your neighborhood, which actually has nice high taxable houses in it, is renting out extra bedrooms to roommates to help pay the high taxes. Or, you are living on the same block as someone who has 32 illegal aliens sharing their house and each one paying 100 dollars month to cover the rent/mortgage/utilities bills. They use up the lawns as parking spots first, then the overflow has to squeeze into the neighbors front street right-of-ways.
If you can find the house that is overflowing, turn it into ICE and don't think twice about calling a wrecker to tow; they will start moving out if their cars keep getting towed every night.

Posted by: City living.. ()
Date: April 13, 2019 10:12PM

If you're deep inside the beltway that's just part of life get used to it. You can have them towed but you may want to invest in some security cameras.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.