HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
THE BEST CHEESE STEAKS IN NOVA 2019
Posted by: Who's Got The Best ()
Date: April 05, 2019 03:58PM

Im Hungry and I want a dammed good Cheese steak where are the best in NOVA that's as big as a Buick or just really good today

Ill tell you first Mario's on Wilson Blvd in Arlington
Attachments:
DAJAXSteakSub.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: THE BEST CHEESE STEAKS IN NOVA 2019
Posted by: None Better ()
Date: April 05, 2019 04:34PM

Anthony's - Falls Church/Annandale

Posted by: Cardboard ()
Date: April 05, 2019 04:44PM

I know for sure it isn’t the Main Street pub in Clifton. That place sucks!

Posted by: nocomparison ()
Date: April 05, 2019 05:30PM

+1 For Marios becasue anthony's looks like a tiny mini car compare to to Marios Big Buick.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/anthonys-restaurant-falls-church-2

Posted by: Even better ()
Date: April 05, 2019 06:36PM

Make your own. Add a splash of soy sauce, fry it up nice and crispy on the edges, and lots of fried onions. Easy and tasty.

Posted by: fat people food ()
Date: April 05, 2019 06:37PM

Eat healthier you fat slobs

Posted by: just passing through ()
Date: April 05, 2019 08:10PM

I bought a cheese steak sandwich at the Buffalo Wing Factory in Greenbriar on whim not long ago and was it was pretty damn good. Their wings have gotten fucking expensive, to the point I just make may own at home anymore, but the cheese steak was nice and I do enjoy their Buffalo Brussel Sprouts.

Posted by: Guy F ()
Date: April 05, 2019 08:51PM

Go to Giant get some sub rolls, steakums, American cheese, eggs, and whatever condiments you like. I love making my own with a few steakun slices, American cheese, and a fried egg with mayonnaise and hot mustard. Easy to make and cheaper and better in my opinion.

Posted by: Tom Doley ()
Date: April 05, 2019 09:07PM

Had his with the egg the night before he hanged

Posted by: I Tried Making My Own Too ()
Date: April 05, 2019 09:31PM

It came out as a Camel Rider From Jacksonville Floridas "The Sheik" resturauant !

That's what happened when there are no Ottenbergs long sub rolls. There the best around NOVA for any kind of sub

Ottenburg get them out where we can buy them dammit !

The ones at Costco are half size and half ass but I like their Cajun Name

Pistolette Rolls !

http://www.ottenbergs.com/ Tell um ! Give Them Hell !

Giant has shaved steak that's good but not greasy enough, Steakums will do in a pinch just drain all the grease off them Real Philly's in Philly are thin sliced Rib Eye, they slightly freeze the meat so it slices up well on a commercial slicer , that's a trade secret !
Attachments:
CheesesteakDAJAX.jpg

Date: April 05, 2019 09:41PM

Guy F Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go to Giant get some sub rolls, steakums, American
> cheese, eggs, and whatever condiments you like. I
> love making my own with a few steakun slices,
> American cheese, and a fried egg with mayonnaise
> and hot mustard. Easy to make and cheaper and
> better in my opinion.

Forgot to mention a pinch of garlic powder, salt and pepper. And yes drain the grease and don't cook the steakum too long and mix the cheese in when the steakum is almost done. Cook the before or after the steakum. Enjoy!

Date: April 05, 2019 09:44PM

Guy F Wrote:
> Guy F Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Go to Giant get some sub rolls, steakums,
> American
> > cheese, eggs, and whatever condiments you like.
> I
> > love making my own with a few steakun slices,
> > American cheese, and a fried egg with
> mayonnaise
> > and hot mustard. Easy to make and cheaper and
> > better in my opinion.
>
>
> Forgot to mention a pinch of garlic powder, salt
> and pepper. And yes drain the grease and don't
> cook the steakum too long and mix the cheese in
> when the steakum is almost done. Cook the before
> or after the steakum. Enjoy!

Cook the egg before or after the steakum. I prefer after when it is blazing hot and greasy. This is not supposed to be healthy. It is supposed to be good.

Posted by: Yummy 9 ()
Date: April 05, 2019 09:49PM

Guy F Wrote:
> Guy F Wrote:
> -----
> > Guy F Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Go to Giant get some sub rolls, steakums,
> > American
> > > cheese, eggs, and whatever condiments you
> like.
> > I
> > > love making my own with a few steakun slices,
> > > American cheese, and a fried egg with
> > mayonnaise
> > > and hot mustard. Easy to make and cheaper and
> > > better in my opinion.
> >
> >
> > Forgot to mention a pinch of garlic powder,
> salt
> > and pepper. And yes drain the grease and don't
> > cook the steakum too long and mix the cheese in
> > when the steakum is almost done. Cook the
> before
> > or after the steakum. Enjoy!
>
>
> Cook the egg before or after the steakum. I prefer
> after when it is blazing hot and greasy. This is
> not supposed to be healthy. It is supposed to be
> good.

You are right on! This is the way I make it.
Attachments:
steakegg.jpg

Posted by: busy man ()
Date: April 05, 2019 09:50PM

I don't have time to explore the cheese steak issue

Posted by: so H00ngry ()
Date: April 06, 2019 10:57AM

The best I have found is at Pizzarama in Warrenton. Do not order the lunch special sub as that is a little skimpy. Get the regular steak bacon and cheese footlong with extra meat and all the toppings.
Next best sub is Marios in Arlington and 3rd place is Mama Mia in Manassas.

Posted by: Milanos Springfield ()
Date: April 06, 2019 11:07AM

Been doing it over 30 years and still my go to place. Always fresh and delicious. I always get the egg on it as well and the french fries are great.

Posted by: Northern Virginia ()
Date: April 06, 2019 11:22AM

Delia's backlick road in Springfield. Quality steak with all the fresh toppings and provolone cheese. Very very good!

Posted by: Mouth watering ()
Date: April 08, 2019 12:24AM

I ordered a steak and cheese sub not too long ago from Paisano's in Annandale. Not bad, but I'd not recommend buying one a week or two prior to a cholesterol test.

Posted by: swag like d rock ()
Date: April 08, 2019 03:33PM

glory days in burke has da best! plus my main man d rock is there sellin that fire weed, and kell kron in the back for a fire bj. d rock is that nigga!!!

Posted by: Eggs? ()
Date: April 08, 2019 04:31PM

Never heard of putting an egg on a cheesesteak. Sounds like overkill and kind of gross.

Posted by: Fad Diet ()
Date: April 08, 2019 07:18PM

Probably that Keto or Atkins bullshit. Ya, a pound of bacon for a snack instead of something with carbs is healthy. Tell me about your arteries in about 10 years.

Posted by: Marios Arlington ()
Date: April 08, 2019 08:26PM

Eggs? Wrote:
> Never heard of putting an egg on a cheesesteak.
> Sounds like overkill and kind of gross.

Never heard of it? You got to go to Marios and try a 6 inch steak and egg with everything on it. I guarantee you will like it.

Posted by: GUN BUM ()
Date: April 08, 2019 09:35PM

Tom Dooleys were on the menu of many of the old Arab and Greek owned pizza sub shops years ago, It was a burger with the egg added but you could order a steak sub with the egg the same way, We called them just that, Steak and Cheese subs. Cheesesteak is a Philly name for the same

They have got to be served in a red plastic basket with square holes and a piece of paper lining the basket to be good eaten inside and they were and wrapped in white paper no styrofoam box to go.

In Philly they have used sliced Rib Eye for ever as I have said froze a bit then thin sliced slathered with Cheese Wiz as the main selling Cheesesteak with no salad as they call it, just steak onions and cheese that's a real Philly when its made with Rib Eye steak. Here most places used the steak ums.

I can see them now slapping 2 steakum or 3 if the place was really good, throwing a pile of sliced sweet onions on it and chopping them into the meat with the side of the spatula then moving it and scraping the grease off and adding the cheese to melt , slipping the spatula under it and placing it on a Ottenbergs roll that had been placed in the pizza oven a minute slathered with some mayo then to the dressing station with shredded lettuce and tomatoes and cut in half with a serrated bread knife into the serving basket or rolled up in the white paper

Now all head out in search of the best and the worst !

Ill give 3.8 stars to Bella Pizza down Tappahannock way on Rt 17 on the way to Dragon Run Its a good one

5 stars is rare so 3.8 is a good greasy fill up on the way to NOVA! One star means its at least got 2 steakums on it and that's it edible but nothing to talk about or overpriced for what your getting . I give Marios 4.5 stars for there's and that's dammed good . 2 stars is ok meh as people say 3 stars is good just getting there and needs some help 3.5 up hits the spot
Attachments:
DAJAXBellaPizzaVa.jpg

Posted by: Philly Cheese Steak ()
Date: April 08, 2019 10:22PM

So who has a real Philly Cheese Steak around here that is good? The cheese wiz, onions, chopped up steak and the whole nine yards?

Posted by: Harly 6 ()
Date: April 08, 2019 10:27PM

George's Steaks and Things off Ox road in the Golds Gym strip mall has real Philly Cheese Steaks and they are pretty darned good. Good wings and fries there also.

Posted by: Thilly Thavage ()
Date: April 08, 2019 10:29PM

I like lotth of mayonnaithe on mine. Jutht thpread that CREAMY, DREAMY MAYONNAITHE ALL OVER MY THANDWICH!

Beatht.

Posted by: DAJAX fan ()
Date: April 08, 2019 10:44PM

Mr. DAJAX,

Did you ever frequent Lil' Italian during your days in Fairfax. If I remember correctly they had a great Tom Dooley, and heard they will still make it for you now even though not on the menu. They've move a bit east on 236 from the location I remember in the city in the 80's, but still damn good.

Perhaps this is more appropriately posted in your other thread, but do you have any recommendations for making a SteakUm steak and cheese cooked at home taste like something one would get at a restaurant? I've tried and it's missing something, even when I keep all the disgusting grease.

Thank you for your consideration.

Posted by: Jakes Steaks Central Ave Md ()
Date: April 08, 2019 10:57PM

That's who

>So who has a real Philly Cheese Steak around here that is good? The cheese wiz, onions, chopped up steak and the whole nine yards?

That's if Jakes is still there in a big center on Md Rt 2 with a Giant Food.
Mario's is a good one but they don't have Cheese Wiz. Look Jakes up and call um if your heading out to the bay area to dock bars or "Whine and Democrat Cheese" "Resistance Sail Boat Parties" avoiding Rt 50 traffic to the bay bridge in summer

Come on NOVA wake up ! Get that extra salty Wiz ! LOL.

Al's may have one too on Mt Vernon Ave in Alexandria call them even thou the real Al has passed.

Theres always your kitchen stove Giant Food has thin sliced beef as well as chicken and now pork for all the 3 Phillys plus all the rest but they don't have a really great sub roll like what Ottenbergs makes give them hell WHY NOT!! Tell them to get Ottenbergs off their ass and Giants buyers too !

DAJAX you got to add some water in a squirt bottle for that shaved beef it just does not have the grease that Steakums have and youll see um use it at the good joints too

Posted by: H2O ()
Date: April 08, 2019 11:03PM

What does the water do?

Posted by: Right Here Pal ()
Date: April 08, 2019 11:05PM

>but do you have any recommendations for making a SteakUm steak and cheese cooked at home taste like something one would get at a restaurant?

This is how to do it from my post above but where's the Ottenbergs roll unless you want to buy one from a sub shop ! I think Ive seen a lot of places called Lil Italian , there all Italian even if there owned by Koreans . Ill keep an eye out next time Im through that area to give um a try, from my post

"In Philly they have used sliced Rib Eye for ever as I have said froze a bit then thin sliced slathered with Cheese Wiz as the main selling Cheesesteak with no salad as they call it, just steak onions and cheese that's a real Philly when its made with Rib Eye steak. Here most places used the steak ums.

I can see them now slapping 2 steakum or 3 if the place was really good, throwing a pile of sliced sweet onions on it and chopping them into the meat with the side of the spatula then moving it and scraping the grease off and adding the cheese to melt , slipping the spatula under it and placing it on a Ottenbergs roll that had been placed in the pizza oven a minute slathered with some mayo then to the dressing station with shredded lettuce and tomatoes and cut in half with a serrated bread knife into the serving basket or rolled up in the white paper"

Posted by: Hands down ()
Date: April 09, 2019 12:51AM

Atilla’s. Google it.

Posted by: Steak Escape Springfield Mall ()
Date: April 09, 2019 08:15AM

Steak Escape at Springfield mall.
Then blow $20 at timeout.
Finally, get some coke at pizza delite

Posted by: Frank's flat top... ()
Date: April 09, 2019 08:23AM

There isn't a recipe for a steak and cheese -- just a list of ingredients.

Posted by: 4JFKY ()
Date: April 09, 2019 09:41AM

I have not been back to Atilla's in many years. Started going there 40 years ago. Outstanding onsite baked Pita bread. Used to love the Ham & Cheese sandwich, steak and cheese was petty good as I recall. Have dined in as well as picked up at the side window and eaten outside.

Glad to hear they are still around, I will try to get by there again this week.

Same with Mario's, used to go there while in High School after a late night out drinking and being foolish. Remember the Lefty's Cheese Steaks with slaw.

Not sure the slaw was the best configuration, but it was good late at night. Might need to swing by there again.

Funny how both Mario's and Atilla's are both in Arlington and not FFX. I grew up in Arlington but live in FFX now.

Posted by: The Recipe ()
Date: April 09, 2019 10:35AM

>What does the water do?

It adds moisture to steaks you don't use it with Steakums there too greasy anyway You fry them flat or chop them up wit or wit out onions as they tell you to order in Phllly at Pats or Genos both the Kings of Steaks

Feel free to push button 2 if you cant speak English
Attachments:
genosnight.jpg
push2libs.png
THEBEST.jpg

Posted by: food lover ()
Date: April 09, 2019 10:43AM

I second Anthony's in Falls Church. I've never had a bad meal.

Posted by: Chef George ()
Date: April 09, 2019 01:09PM

3 steakum patties, american cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cut the 2 cheese slices up and blend it in the steakums while on the stove. Make sure you have a nice quality sub roll and then add your condiments. Philly cheese steak recipe for me.

Posted by: Second That ()
Date: April 09, 2019 02:01PM

Harly 6 Wrote:
> George's Steaks and Things off Ox road in the
> Golds Gym strip mall has real Philly Cheese Steaks
> and they are pretty darned good. Good wings and
> fries there also.

George’s fries are excellent, and I don’t normally like fries.

Posted by: Fat Fuck ()
Date: April 09, 2019 09:30PM

Al's Steakhouse on Mt. Vernon ave

Posted by: Whos Got Um ? ()
Date: April 09, 2019 09:52PM

This

>Make sure you have a nice quality sub roll

Hey fellow Fats are the Cheesesteaks at Als like they were when Al was around . I remember a wide long roll lots of meat and dripping grease greasy I had to take a shower after eating one and use a fire hose inside my car too, my bad for eating it and saving time driving doing it but it was dammed good! I don't mind paying what it takes for a good Cheesesteak

DAJAX The Fat Gun Bum and Cook

Date: April 09, 2019 10:05PM

I say I rent a charter bus for a ride up to Philly to get hugmongus Cheesesteaks from Genos and Pats

There will be two sections the back of the bus for the "Blunt Smokers" and the front for Hobo beer drinkers.

The guest list will be

Bill N The voice of reason, Leftist Gorilla, Mike O Meara Show Fan, Eesh, Liz and Miz, Guns = Death , NRA Are Traitors, Inquisitive One, LOL.. AKA Vienna guy , Soul Brother #1 , Im Not Amused, and more with all the women we can invite, Gerry AKA G2 will ride shot gun with me DAJAX behind the driver. In addition to the beer wine weed and women there will be a barrel full of butcher knives and whisky in the middle of the aisle, any one still alive when we get to Philly can be arrested for murder by the Philly Cops

Whoes In ??

Date: April 09, 2019 10:13PM

ARE YOU KIDDING ! I WAS ! LOL!

Date: April 09, 2019 10:37PM

MYSTERY SUB

I got this one a couple weeks ago in Springfield I think its from Milanos In the big old Springfield shopping center where the slugs catch rides with The K Mart and Giant if they still are slugging. Right off Keene Mill. That center goes way back to all kinds of events back to the 60's. It was 7.99 and tax came with a soda and the crunchy coated fries that are high in salt but tasty. A bit thin on the steak but for the price it hit the spot ! Don't give me grief because the camera had a spot on the lens, it was a wet rainy lousy cold day and I was glad to get some food because I was hungry!
Attachments:
Mysterysub.jpg

Posted by: You Got It Pal ()
Date: April 11, 2019 01:45PM

>Easy to make and cheaper and better in my opinion.

When you get the cheap frozen steaks you can make um when you want um. Ill have one more in a couple days then pitch the rolls and keep the rest in the freezer and fridge.

Mine does have 2 tablespoons of Cheese Wiz that 500 mg of salt in in there under that meat and that's enough for me the sub roll has 310 and the steaks 80 I used 4 of um. Slap um in a iron skillet and fry them up add the sliced sweet onions round it up in the shape your roll is long or square what ever, then add the cheese toward the end cover the skillet and let the cheese melt and slap it on a slightly toasted sub roll and that's a Philly Cheesesteak , add some Italian sweet peppers if you want um and keep the salad and mayo off it unless you want a Steak and Cheese all in about 5 minutes Giant sell fresh thin sliced rib eye its tough and does not have too much flavor add water as already said to give some moisture

If your in a McMansion and have plenty of cash buy a commercial slicer and freeze a whole rib eye boneless roast slightly slice it up thin into a food grade box and there you have got enough to pig out for days Hey 3000 bucks is nothing to ya at a commercial resturauant store !

Off into a red plastic basket with basket paper and your good for a good grease up
Attachments:
DAJAXCHEESESTEAK.jpg

Posted by: John Kruk ()
Date: April 12, 2019 07:03PM

you would all get your asses kicked in Philly for these abominations. First of all, it's not a steak and cheese. It's a cheesesteak. It's also not a cheesesteak hoagie. Those exist, but they aren't the same as a cheesesteak. And they are stupid. No one in Philly calls lettuce salad either.

To answer the original question, I still haven't found a great Philly cheesesteak here. The meat isn't ever right and the rolls are definitely wrong.

Posted by: Push Button 2 For Deportation ()
Date: April 12, 2019 08:11PM

A Cheesesteak with salad is a Cheesesteak Hoogie at Pats and Genos same as wit or wit-out and they call lettuce and tomato's salad

Push 2 for deportation you cant understand English
Attachments:
PUSH2.jpg
genossayspush2.jpg

Posted by: Sub Eater ()
Date: April 13, 2019 01:58PM

GUN BUM Wrote:
> MYSTERY SUB
>
> I got this one a couple weeks ago in Springfield I
> think its from Milanos In the big old Springfield
> shopping center where the slugs catch rides with
> The K Mart and Giant if they still are slugging.
> Right off Keene Mill. That center goes way back to
> all kinds of events back to the 60's. It was 7.99
> and tax came with a soda and the crunchy coated
> fries that are high in salt but tasty. A bit thin
> on the steak but for the price it hit the spot !
> Don't give me grief because the camera had a spot
> on the lens, it was a wet rainy lousy cold day and
> I was glad to get some food because I was hungry!

That would be Malek’s. They do in a pinch but they’ve gone downhill recently.
And their fries suck.

Posted by: Mystery Sub #2 ()
Date: April 13, 2019 11:12PM

A week ago at a old now new favorite Ill tell you later people to see if you can figure where , it was in Burke and I gave it a solid 4 stars out of 5 tops as it was not quite as big as a Buick. It was packed full of meat very good and less then 9 bucks wit tax

My own on the cheap lazy mans sub with 2 Steakums some lettuce and mayo and I gave it 2 stars but it was tasty

Ya Id been planning this thread. Im a fat hungry NRA member and want to know where the good Cheesesteaks are at ! Sorry I missed the Gun Show hot dogs today if the gun grabber "Kilton of FXU" is still with us the lame ass basket ball head ! I spent my money exploring food joints and eating greasy Cheesesteaks and listening to some traveling real American music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHGfHltVY-s
Attachments:
mysterysub.jpg
Dajaxs2starsub.jpg

Posted by: Good Subs In Burke ()
Date: April 15, 2019 10:34PM

The mystery sub was from Smith & Clarkson's Deli by the Burke Wal-Mart a old fav I thought was gone. They were at Ravensworth Center at the beltway and Braddock rd. All kinds of good sandwiches and specials there and plenty of meat on the sub a solid 4 stars

Then another great place in Burke, Deli Italiano by where the Burke Giant was that became Super H mart . There next to the "Burke 7-11" that phrase goes way back.
They also have cheese pizza by the slice and a 2 slice with a soda special and that pizza looked mouth watering! Whole pies are also available Natch! Hobo beer is next door

Old timers may remember a tragedy at that site 35 some years ago, when two guys used gasoline to remove rubber back carpet from the floor and the fumes exploded . Not the same owners today people just a piece of Old Fairfax co's history

Both of these subs were Steak and Cheese Subs , sorry not real Cheesesteaks, they are hard to find in NOVA but really who cares about details they were damm good!

Now lets hear where the other damm good ones are at!
Attachments:
DeliItalinaoDAJAX.jpg

Posted by: Ya it Does ()
Date: April 15, 2019 11:05PM

>There next to the "Burke 7-11" that phrase goes way back.

To 1970 Riding around NOVA "back in the country" when it was across the street in the former Handy Dandy wood shack DAJAX

Posted by: Hank from Philly ()
Date: May 17, 2019 07:58PM

Jersey Mike's has a very good Philly cheesesteak! They are as close to Philadelphia as you get. Very delicious.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.