HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Microsoft BitLocker Enabled After Windows Update
Posted by: PLP67 ()
Date: March 10, 2019 03:34PM

So how many people here have been affected by the Microsoft BitLocker being enabled on their computer after a recent Windows Update?

Seems to be impacting a number of computers that have Secure Boot Enabled in the BIOS.

Only real way to work around this is reload Windows from what I am seeing.

So many computer vendors are blaming Microsoft (which is probably at fault) and Microsoft is blaming the computer vendors like HP, Dell and others.

So it looks like many Windows users are left out in the cold. Microsoft should have a downloadable boot program that can sort this crap out.

Just dealt with a Dell laptop that was till under Warranty, they came back and claimed it was a hardware problem and the machine needs to be sent back. This just tells me there is no software solution for the problem!

Luckily on this latest Dell laptop there is really no important files on it. Time for a new image!!!

Curious how rampant this problem is and if anyone has found a simple solution.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microsoft BitLocker Enabled After Windows Update
Posted by: ntb4u ()
Date: March 11, 2019 08:45PM

OP is full of it

recent updates don't "make win 10" stop working and don't turn on disk encryption

i use the machine only for games and haven't even checked if "bit locker" is enabled

BUT I SURELY DID SELECT "NO" TO DISK ENCRYPTION because i know it's un-reliable, slow, and causes complete failure if it goes bad

Posted by: ntb4u ()
Date: March 11, 2019 08:53PM

free UNIX disk encryption is also full of failures - and ms windows used to have allot of serious issues - i'm not sure to say it has recent sudden data loss issues - but my guess would be yes

6 Reasons & Solutions to Data Loss on BitLocker Encrypted Hard

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/6-reasons-solutions-data-loss-bitlocker-encrypted-hard-drive/

(all that's really really old news btw)

Date: March 11, 2019 09:13PM

BitLocker was in fact enabled due to a recent Microsoft Update.

Do you research and you will find PLENTY of cases, just trying to find out if others on FFU have run into this.

Posted by: not worried ()
Date: March 11, 2019 10:41PM

My machines are too old to support bitlocker thus no issues for me. Can't you get the bitlocker key from your Microsoft account?

Posted by: AnthonyCumia ()
Date: March 12, 2019 12:02PM

Fake and gay.

Date: March 12, 2019 02:06PM

not worried Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My machines are too old to support bitlocker thus
> no issues for me. Can't you get the bitlocker key
> from your Microsoft account?

Here is the problem, BitLocker as no enabled by human intervention, which required a key to be entered. Bitlocker was enabled or at least the BitLocker unlock screen was enabled by something going wrong in a recent Microsoft Windows Update, likely the Windows Creator Update. So without someone entering a key, there is no key!!

No Microsoft account is set up either in this case.

Do yourself a favor and turn off Secure Boot in the BIOS because without Secure Boot enabled along with other settings then BitLocker CANNOT be enabled.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.