HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Our Dirk
Posted by: BFD ()
Date: May 15, 2010 10:00PM

He sounds like a loser. IF he had been with his kids instead of banging whores, he'd be alive. One less idiot in the world. Good riddence.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shooting in Annandale . . .
Posted by: SURFBOAT ()
Date: May 16, 2010 08:23AM

Somebody did not like him..

Posted by: Goths suck. Bring back Disco ()
Date: May 16, 2010 09:10AM

From the article:

In the preliminary hearing for Cara Cottle, 31, evidence from Smiler’s autopsy revealed that he had gunpowder residue and “stippling” on one of his hands, indicating that his hand was near the muzzle of the long rifle which killed him. Defense attorney Peter D. Greenspun said marks on Cottle’s neck indicate that Smiler was choking her when the gun went off during a struggle.

I guess he wasn't as nice behind closed doors as he was in front of the goth scum that put him on a pedestal.

I bet her attorney gets her free on some sort of self-defense basis.

Posted by: whatev ()
Date: August 12, 2010 02:04AM

does anyone know what happened with this?

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: August 12, 2010 11:52AM

He's still dead, she's still crazy.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: August 12, 2010 11:53AM

We're all still better off

Posted by: Taylor ()
Date: October 01, 2010 08:48PM

Whatever happened with this? Did the chick get sentenced?

Posted by: anony ()
Date: October 25, 2010 12:30AM

The trial was scheduled for November 1st, but it's been delayed at the quest of the accused murder's attorney until after the New Year... It's scheduled to start 11 months after Dirk was murdered. Cara is still out on bail.

"Peter D. Greenspun, Cottle’s lawyer and a prominent defense attorney in Virginia, said today that he requested the delay because of a capital murder case he is working on that should “go right up to or over top of†the Jan. 10 start date."

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/general/2010/10/05/cara-cottle-trial-delayed-until-january/

Those close to the case expect further delays from the defense.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: October 25, 2010 10:19AM

Taylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whatever happened with this? Did the chick get
> sentenced?

The skeleton has been stripped free of flesh by worms and maggots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 11:24AM by 496.

Date: October 25, 2010 11:19AM

"The trial of Caralee Cottle, who is accused of the second-degree murder of noted area goth Dirk Smiler...

Really?

Posted by: timbo ()
Date: October 25, 2010 01:13PM

Rest in Peace

Date: February 26, 2011 03:08PM

So what ever happened to this? How does someone kill the "Goth King" and it never even goes to trial? No mention of anything about this in close to a year. Just curious.

Posted by: vicky_j ()
Date: February 28, 2011 03:18PM

Wash Post today:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/tom-jackman/a-fairfax-county-woman-entered.html?hpid=newswell

Nathan "Dirk" Smiler, 37, lived with his girlfriend, Cara Cottle, in a rented house on Little River Turnpike in the Annandale area. Prosecutors said Cottle, 32, a former Marine, shot Smiler once in the head with a bolt-action rifle on Feb. 15, 2010, killing him instantly in their basement bedroom.

Facing a murder trial on Monday, Cottle and her attorney, Peter D. Greenspun, negotiated a plea deal with prosecutors to reduce the charge to involuntary manslaughter. Cottle would then enter an "Alford plea," in which a defendant doesn't admit guilt but acknowledges that prosecutors have enough evidence for a conviction. The plea has the same effect as a guilty plea.

Cottle entered her Alford plea before Fairfax Circuit Court Judge Michael F. Devine Monday morning. But after Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Mark Sullivan gave a summary of the shooting, Greenspun launched a more detailed version of events, to include tape-recorded statements by witnesses.

....... more at the Post

Date: February 28, 2011 03:55PM

She's looking at probation to six months in prison for killing a man. Someone in the comments section made a good point:

This is bs, she didn't know it was loaded?!! Drug dealer with small quantities of drugs faces 3-9, murder suspended sentence.

Domestic abusers take note! You can kill your partner or spouse as long as you call the police immediately after and say you didn't know the gun was loaded, all for just six months in prison at most.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: February 28, 2011 04:13PM

She's a Marine. She should know better than that.

Posted by: Barker ()
Date: February 28, 2011 06:47PM

Ooops, now they're saying that she withdrew her plea because the Judge wouldn't agree to only sentencing her to supervised probation.

Posted by: Barker ()
Date: February 28, 2011 06:49PM

Ooops again, she didn't want probation, she wants a future dismissal of ALL charges.

Posted by: none of your business ()
Date: February 28, 2011 09:51PM

you all are pretty ignorant of the law...first of all, the plea was already accepted today. this means that the ballistics and forensics didn't warrant conviction on a more serious charge, otherweise the prosecutors wouldn't have made he offer. the hearing was postponed because the prosecution didn't expect greenspun to pursue the sis. i understand that people are hurt but if cara had murdered dirk in cold blood she would be going to trial.

Date: February 28, 2011 10:57PM

none of your business Wrote:
> you all are pretty ignorant of the law...first of
> all, the plea was already accepted today. this
> means that the ballistics and forensics didn't
> warrant conviction on a more serious charge,
> otherweise the prosecutors wouldn't have made he
> offer. the hearing was postponed because the
> prosecution didn't expect greenspun to pursue the
> sis. i understand that people are hurt but if
> cara had murdered dirk in cold blood she would be
> going to trial.

Cara???? Is that you? You sneaky little minx! So, if you didn't murder him in cold blood, did you murder him bathed in steamy-hot blood?

Do tell us the final moments that led up to the "accident". Inquiring minds want to know :P

Posted by: Silva ()
Date: March 01, 2011 10:14AM

anony Wrote:
> The trial was scheduled for November 1st, but it's
> been delayed at the quest of the accused murder's
> attorney until after the New Year... It's
> scheduled to start 11 months after Dirk was
> murdered. Cara is still out on bail.
>
> "Peter D. Greenspun, Cottle’s lawyer and a
> prominent defense attorney in Virginia, said today
> that he requested the delay because of a capital
> murder case he is working on that should “go
> right up to or over top of†the Jan. 10
> start date."
>
> http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/
> general/2010/10/05/cara-cottle-trial-delayed-until
> -january/
>
> Those close to the case expect further delays from
> the defense.

Taylor,
You are a fucking moron.
It is simple.
The forensic and ballistic evidence showed that it was not murder but in fact an accident.
Cara may be a fucked up individual and have all kinds of issues, but she did not murder that piece of shit deadbeat dad.

Date: March 01, 2011 10:21AM

I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. "Shooting in Annandale" is akin to "squirrels in Clifton."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: March 01, 2011 10:31AM

Silva Wrote:
> Taylor,
> You are a fucking moron.
> It is simple.
> The forensic and ballistic evidence showed that it
> was not murder but in fact an accident.
> Cara may be a fucked up individual and have all
> kinds of issues, but she did not murder that piece
> of shit deadbeat dad.

No, it means they can't prove more because it's her word against a dead guy's. The ballistics and forensics evidence apparently indicate exactly what she said: she shot him in the head. What's in question is how and why, and there were only two people there.

Date: March 01, 2011 11:01AM

Silva Wrote:
> Taylor,
> You are a fucking moron.
> It is simple.
> The forensic and ballistic evidence showed that it
> was not murder but in fact an accident.
> Cara may be a fucked up individual and have all
> kinds of issues, but she did not murder that piece
> of shit deadbeat dad.

I think I read somewhere that there was gunpowder residue on his hand, indicating that he had his hand on the barrel at the time he was shot. But, so what? Even if he was doing something stupid like grabbing the barrel of a loaded gun and pointing it at his head, who had their finger on the trigger?

Oh, right. It was the person with Marine training who apparently skipped class on the day they teach you to not put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to pull it. That's on the NRA's second rule of gun safety, so it's easy to understand how someone with professional military training could forget it.

Date: March 01, 2011 12:28PM

Yeah, lol, the forensics and ballistics simply indicate that she shot him in the head at close range. What the tests don't show is WHY she shot him in the head. That part comes down to her story. So it's a "she said, he said", except that the Goth king can't say ANYTHING since he's rotting in a box somewhere. (Although if he was REALLY the "Goth King", I would have expected him to speak out from the grave. I'm a little disappointed actually.)

Furthermore, add in the fact that before the Goth king, her husband died in a mysterious "accident" that was deemed suspicious but without enough evidence to convict her, and we start seeing a pattern. Cara Cottle, "The Manasas Black Widow"! I like it.

Date: March 01, 2011 12:51PM

I know a lot of people affected by this, and I know a lot of people were affected by this, so I've been trying to be at least a little civil about it. However, it's a recurring theme in every thread on here about someone who died; someone does something stupid, then other people want to call it an "accident" to absolve the guilty party of all blame.

An "accident" is an unfortunate incident that happens to someone without cause or provocation. For example, the person who hits someone while driving drunk did not have an accident; the person the drunk driver hit had an accident. Of course, accidents can happen to anyone. This particular scenario can only happen to people who pull the trigger of a loaded rifle that's aimed at another person's head.

I liked Dirk (the little that I knew him), but my personal opinions aside... the chick that shot him had an "accident" the same way the kid who brought a golf club to a pre-planned fight and ended up getting stabbed had an "accident."

Posted by: Mullet ()
Date: March 01, 2011 07:53PM

I can't believe that there are so many trolls out there who have nothing better to do than bash people who they did not know.... Oh wait... We're in America.

I also know, that unless anyone who posted here was at the court appearances they would have no real knowledge of the proceedings because they need this to stay on the down low. If a jury becomes too "educated" they will develop a bias. Which would lead to a mistrial.

So as unfortunate as it is, those of us who knew Dirk even in passing have to stick to the legitimate sources. And just wait patiently for a guilty sentencing, that we all believe she deserves; and have to endure the blind sheep who routinely try to get a rise out of us. I don't think I need names here. >:[

We have to wait until June...

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: March 01, 2011 08:00PM

Is he still wormfood?

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Date: March 01, 2011 10:38PM

Mullet Wrote:
> I can't believe that there are so many trolls out
> there who have nothing better to do than bash
> people who they did not know.... Oh wait... We're
> in America.

Yes, Mullet, we're in America. You know, the land that allows people like you and Dirk to express yourselves without locking you up in a gulag somewhere or executing you. Rejects like you should get down on your knees and thank Odin or Wicca or whomever you worship, that you are fortunate enough to live here. America didn't kill Dirk, one of your other drugged out, freak friends did.

Not a sermon, just a thought. :)

Posted by: Lis ()
Date: March 02, 2011 01:06PM

BEHIND on child support payments doesn't begin to explain it. He sent 1 check to his eldest daughter; ONE, and it wasn't even for the full ammount. But you know what? It doesn't matter. He was may have been a deadbeat dad, but he was still a man. We are NOT better off without him. His daughters are NOT better off without him. We are mourning him. It was my family that picked up the tab when he didn't pay child support to his eldest daughter. I am the one who watched her for years for free because he wasn't paying his part. I am the one who had to help feed her and put shoes on her feet and clothes on her back. You don't get to stand in judgement of whether or not he deserved to die. He was a man, flawed, but a man. I take it as a personal affront that you can stand back and judge a man for sins against us that we're forgiving.

Posted by: Mr Phisttie ()
Date: March 02, 2011 06:57PM

Fisting was the cause. He was fisting and KaBoom the
(un)loaded gun went off.

Sad but true, The moral of the story is don't drink and fist without the gun safety on.

Posted by: Good on you ()
Date: March 02, 2011 09:22PM

Lis Wrote:
> BEHIND on child support payments doesn't begin to
> explain it...

Don't sweat what some people say here, Lis. They are getting off on offending you. You have done and are doing good.

Posted by: goodbye for GOOD ()
Date: March 06, 2011 02:09AM

There's gonna be a "goth riot", huh? that explains why no one posts on his "memorial" facebook pages anymore. dirk was a trend and his time has been up for a long time - and it's about fucking time. i do think as a former marine cara knew there was a bullet in the chamber but i also believe she called his bluff - he was a fuckin drama queen and absolutely the type of person to say "i dare you to pull the trigger." he was also the type of person to fuck underage girls with no second thoughts while he was in his late 20s/early 30s. it's fun to glamorize him as a "hedonist," thanks washington post, but hedonism shouldn't equal statutory rape. i pray that his ignored children are able to have a better existence without him, because heaven knows he did nothing for them here.

Posted by: watching&waiting ()
Date: June 03, 2011 12:20PM

should be back in court today, will have to see what (if anything) comes from the hearing

Posted by: itsfinallyover ()
Date: June 03, 2011 05:39PM

Caralee Cottle received a seven-year jail sentence on a charge of involuntary manslaughter in the death of notable local goth figure Dirk Smiler today in a Fairfax Country courtroom, following a dramatic and emotional two-hour hearing. Judge Michael F. Devine, who issued the ruling, suspended three and a half years of the jail sentence

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/general/2011/06/03/cottle-will-serve-3-5-years-for-death-of-dirk-smiler/

Posted by: Neighbor Lady ()
Date: June 03, 2011 05:46PM

Amazing, she put a gun to his head, pulled the trigger, and got manslaughter?

Posted by: Iwasntthere ()
Date: June 03, 2011 06:21PM

Oh, so you were in the room with the two of them and you saw what happened?

Amazing, too bad you weren't interviewed by the police because apparently you know more about the case than they or the lawyers did.

Unless you were THERE then you don't know what happened, and unless you were in the courtroom and privy to all the information that the judge and the lawyers had then STFU with your armchair legal reasoning.

Was it fair? I have no idea because I wasn't there and I don't know what happened and I didn't attend the trial to hear any of it.

And maybe, just maybe 3.5 years in jail is punishment enough, it isn't going to bring the goth back (despite all the vampire impersonations) and her life is pretty much f'ed up now (if it wasn't before) - hopefully his friends can let go of the hate and move on, and maybe she can get some therapy and become a better person.

Yeah, I know, and unicorns will fly out of my butt, i know, i know - but hey, that is what the justice system is supposed to be about.

let's move on now, this is over and done with, time to bury this topic for once and for all

Date: June 03, 2011 10:46PM

The greatest tragedy is that such a uber-hot chick will be off the market for the next 3.5 years.

Posted by: anonny ()
Date: June 04, 2011 01:08AM

Neighbor Lady Wrote:
> Amazing, she put a gun to his head, pulled the
> trigger, and got manslaughter?

That's what the Fairfax County Police agreed to as a plea bargain deal. Seems like they didn't want to put in the extra work to make a case for murder since she hired a high-profile expensive lawyer.

Glad I don't live in your neighborhood...

Posted by: Reaper ()
Date: June 04, 2011 06:06PM

let it rest

Posted by: Linoge ()
Date: June 06, 2011 09:19PM

First: all you "people" (and I use that term lightly) who say that it's not a big deal and no one cares, or that he got what he deserved--Well no one cares or will when it's your loved ones either.
Second: when it does happen to your friends and family--I hope I'm there to gloat about it and tell you what kind trash they were.
Third: I keep hearing about gunpowder residue on his hands, and how he put the gun to his own head--But I can tell you, if someone pointed that Mauser rifle to my head, I would have grabbed that barrell too, especially if it were loaded, so does that mean I aimed there myself.
Fourth: for those of you who say we're all better off--Yes we will be once you and all your loved ones go the way of the Dodo bird.
And Finally: if this Taylor guy thinks she's so great and hot--I hope he's her next boyfriend.

Re: shooting in Annandale . ..NO---A lost friend, never will be replicated
Posted by: tenchi ()
Date: April 07, 2012 10:50PM

I knew Dirk for more than 20 years. He was nothing but; giving, kind, hilarious, recited mine and other's favorite quotes from many movies, books, and quips.
Dirk lived in Gaithersburg, Md, very close to where I lived (with my roommates) before he moved to VA. So, I saw him often, he would come over, offer a huge bear hug and an equally huge smile.
He'd 'change his hat', metaphorically and physically. Dirk owned many wonderful, and unique flambouyant hats, cloaks, scarves, large fans, and many other crazy (in a good way) adornments and embelishments. Enought to inspire many of us in our alternative and comfortable 'scene'.
He would recite, from memeory, Shakepheare, Poe, my personal favorite quote from a series that aired on MTV's 'Liquid Television' back in the day.
Everytime I go out, I think, in fact, I know he must be around. It's surreal and terribly sad. A waste on someone so unique, loving, always ready to cheer a friend who is down.
I am Catholic and feel, maybe, 'The Dude Upstairs' wanted to have Dirk by his side. I miss him all the time. Our trust of each other, especially.
Attachments:
10--3008 dirk.jpg
10--3008 dirk 2.jpg

Posted by: aka47 ()
Date: June 12, 2018 03:55AM

ive known the girl since we were little children and we dated for a time then as we are dating now! she likes men to beat her she knows how to push buttons and shed make you strangle her but shes a killer under the sheets and i love her!

Posted by: Goth pussy ()
Date: June 12, 2018 07:03AM

When is it cool to refer to someone as “goth” versus “emo?”
I also find goth sexxxy.
I went to a black cat show and there was a vampire/goth show in the basement.
Lots of sexxxy bitches.
I am so horny now

Pages: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.