HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What does George Mason need to do to gain credibility?
Posted by: Mason moving up ()
Date: February 14, 2019 05:35PM

It was on the up and up and kind of plateaued in the early 2000’s. What does mason need to do to get back on track to getting on par with UVA, VT and some of the other big boys?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What does George Mason need to do to gain credibility?
Posted by: trick question ()
Date: February 14, 2019 05:37PM

An ambulance?

Posted by: Hoops man ()
Date: February 14, 2019 05:38PM

Get to the NCAA Final Four again.

Posted by: College Fan ()
Date: February 14, 2019 06:08PM

Mason moving up Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was on the up and up and kind of plateaued in
> the early 2000’s. What does mason need to do to
> get back on track to getting on par with UVA, VT
> and some of the other big boys?

What "other big boys?"

Mason is probably the fourth best public university in the Commonwealth, overall. In a few areas it probably is the best university in the Commonwealth, although it is hard for locals in FFX County to appreciate that, akin to the ancient saying that no prophet is accepted in his hometown.

However, it is unlikely ever to surpass UVA, VT or William & Mary which are all much older universities with a more established national reputation and more resources.

The proven and time tested way for a university to grow its reputation is to grow its resources and the only proven and time tested ways for a university to grow its resources of which I am aware are: (1) get lucky and produce a generous gozillionaire alumnus; and (2) get more of your alumni elected to state office. If the legislature was filled with Mason alumni, we would see more state money going to Mason, and less to UVA, VT and William & Mary. THAT would eventually build Mason's prestige.

Anyway, Mason needs to worry more about staying ahead of Madison than catching UVA, VT or William & Mary. I understand that Madison is set to get a YUGE infusion of state STEM education dollars as part of the Amazon deal.

Posted by: Mason Retards ()
Date: February 14, 2019 06:41PM

Gmu is number 17 out of the top 10 schools in Virginia.
Even their law school is full of retards too.
Do they still offer “new century college?”
Lol.

Posted by: Put Up of Shut Up ()
Date: February 14, 2019 06:51PM

Mason Retards Wrote:
> Gmu is number 17 out of the top 10 schools in
> Virginia.
> Even their law school is full of retards too.
> Do they still offer “new century college?”
> Lol.

What great school did you attend?

Posted by: GMU alum ()
Date: February 14, 2019 08:30PM

I feel like Mason's reputation has continued to grow, albeit at a much slower rate than the years following the final four run. They made a huge mistake in letting larranaga go to Miami -- he put the school on the map.

Mason's biggest issue is that they don't emphasize academic rigor. So long as you show up and complete assignments, you're nigh guaranteed to graduate. Other schools have honor codes that result in expulsion for cheating violations -- Mason seems to have a four strike policy. The calc course I took at Nova this past summer was much more challenging than the comparable course I took at GMU as an undergrad.

They seem to emphasize maxing enrollments to keep the tuition money following in over increasing the prestige of the University. I'm not a big fan of Cabrera, and I'll start donating when I see them make strides to improve the school's rep.

Posted by: GMU Volunteer Student EMS ()
Date: February 14, 2019 09:36PM

I agree with @GMUalum and @CollegeFan. As a graduate of NVCC, GMU, and Georgetown I back these up as accurate. I've had some stellar NVCC teachers... who didn't f around about that stuff, at all. My stat professor showed up buzzed for every class, and hit on all of the female students. Some of my Mason professors are extremely talented academics who need serious classroom skill development.

Mason is on a hiring spurt for academics if you look at Glassdoor, I think they have a small inkling of their weakness.

Date: February 14, 2019 09:37PM

*GMU stat professor

Date: February 14, 2019 09:43PM

Also every University I've ever visited... if you don't let students run (and fail sometimes) facilities like coffee shops and bookstores and give everything out to SudSucksCo (Sedexo) and Starbucks, B&N, generic chewing gum and warm water bottle vendor, etc. On campus leisure just falters and students constantly leave campus for better provisions, coffee, social atmosphere. Even the Chipotle there is run by a contractor and it is a 30/100 Chipotle (wouldn't eat.)

Mason could let students form more organizations that feed into campus spirit and leisure instead of paying for literally the same vendors NVCC uses. It's depressing. BUT SLOWLY CHANGING... I'll give credit where it's due.

Posted by: 5-0 ()
Date: February 14, 2019 10:26PM

First thing they need to do is plug all the glory holes in the public restrooms. Cuts down on STDs.

Posted by: ALUMNI ()
Date: February 15, 2019 12:28AM

The original plan was to make it an on campus university so they built the dorms. Then they were going to get a law school and buy Commonwealth hospital as a teaching hospital for the nursing school and then build a med school. it was a decent plan, but somewhere along the way, they decided to build ballfields. I agree with the other poster, final 4 helped the University with recognition and money flowing to Mason. The Arena should be called the Larranaga Center.

Posted by: It’s all relative ()
Date: February 15, 2019 03:03AM

Put Up of Shut Up Wrote:
> Mason Retards Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Gmu is number 17 out of the top 10 schools in
> > Virginia.
> > Even their law school is full of retards too.
> > Do they still offer “new century college?”
> > Lol.
>
> What great school did you attend?

I’m not the poster “Mason Retard”, but I went to UChicago and UCLA

I took Macro Econ at GMU one summer between my freshman and sophomore year. People were nice and the assistant professor was okay, but academically it wasn’t the big leagues. Then again, my ex had to take a make-up course at Georgetown for her PhD and she’s a MIT grad and I remember she thought Georgetown was full of retards too. So it’s all relative.

Posted by: Mason Retard ()
Date: February 15, 2019 06:53AM

Undergrad was at UVA, then U of Richmond Law.
Mason only got hyped bc of the final four.
Instead of investing in faculty, they built dorms.
Sad.

Posted by: Short Sighted ()
Date: February 15, 2019 07:32AM

The dorm building phase of Mason's development came after the law school. Mason's Law School dates back to the eighties. At that time there were a few dorms on campus, but not many.

George Mason's rise from being a glorified community college started around the eighties. At that time Virginia started pumping large amounts of money into Mason while cutting back on funds it provided to older colleges and universities in the state. Everyone knew that at some point in a few years that flood of state money would stop. Well everyone except Mason's administration. If there was a plan in place to deal with the transition away from being the Commonwealth's favorite university project it was not apparent.

Posted by: Former GMU alumni ()
Date: February 15, 2019 07:51AM

Went to GMU in the 1980's and live in western Fairfax County. The university promoting diversity to an extent is alright, but got to do it right. With dozens of languages spoken on campus (no one can learn them all), that makes talking difficult. Google Translate only goes so far, even with texting, as the translations are not always perfect. At one time a couple of years ago, they promoted LGBT on the Student Affairs home page. Though basically respectfully of LGBT persons as individuals, but not all their actions, such as gay pride parades which are sexually provocative.

Posted by: Bob Mercatus ()
Date: February 15, 2019 07:58AM

GMU alum Wrote:
> Mason's biggest issue is that they don't emphasize
> academic rigor. So long as you show up and complete
> assignments, you're nigh guaranteed to graduate.

A further problem is that the programs and affiliated centers that do generate some attention are too often just pay-to-play puppy mills for far right wing causes. The right-wing and academic/intellectual rigor are of course total strangers to each other.

Posted by: Hoya Alum ()
Date: February 15, 2019 09:00AM

The diversity shit has gotten way outta hand.

The asians add to the place but the niggers - we know how that worked out.

Posted by: Joke wahoo ()
Date: February 15, 2019 11:08AM

Imagine going to UVA undergrad, not attending a t-14 law school afterwards, and mocking the pedigree of another school. What a joke.

Posted by: What a Dummy ()
Date: February 15, 2019 11:21AM

Mason Retard Wrote:
> Undergrad was at UVA, then U of Richmond Law.
> Mason only got hyped bc of the final four.
> Instead of investing in faculty, they built
> dorms.
> Sad.

U of Richmond Law???

Now THAT's sad!

And for even greater LOL . . . USNWR ranks Mason's Law school ABOVE Richmond's. ROTFLMFAO!

Oh, and before you ask . . . Georgetown University Law Center. Magna Cum Laude.

Posted by: Sail away... ()
Date: February 15, 2019 11:28AM

Would that they did, but even the best of law degrees does not prevent people from making stupid statements.

Posted by: Propaganda mills ()
Date: February 15, 2019 12:02PM

Bob Mercatus Wrote:
> A further problem is that the programs and affiliated centers
> that do generate some attention are too often just pay-to-play
> puppy mills for far right wing causes.

We've seen an example of that recently in widely circulated numbers out of the Koch-funded Mercatus Center at Mason claiming that 'Medicare for All' as outlined by Bernie Sanders would cost more than $30 trillion in federal spending over ten years, while not really noting what level of increased federal revenues would be coming along with that, nor what would happen to total national health care spending as the result, nor with what the effect on the total number of insured persons would be. These are the sorts of feint and shuck and jive that typify unscrupulous analysis.

Posted by: Put Up or Shut Up ()
Date: February 15, 2019 12:13PM

It’s all relative Wrote:

> I’m not the poster “Mason Retard”, but I
> went to UChicago and UCLA
>
> I took Macro Econ at GMU one summer between my
> freshman and sophomore year. People were nice and
> the assistant professor was okay, but academically
> it wasn’t the big leagues. Then again, my ex
> had to take a make-up course at Georgetown for her
> PhD and she’s a MIT grad and I remember she
> thought Georgetown was full of retards too. So
> it’s all relative.

Although I am not sure that one summer class is a solid basis for evaluating the academic chops of an entire university, I don't think anyone is going to argue that, in general, Mason is on a par academically with schools like UChicago (great school!), MIT (greater school!), etc. Disagree that Georgetown is "full" of "retards." Even compared to MIT (to which I was accepted but did not attend).

Anyway, I don't think you are claiming that:

"Gmu is number 17 out of the top 10 schools in Virginia.
Even their law school is full of retards too."

Are you? That was why I called out the other poster.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.